Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Close call, winter maintenance

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Close call, winter maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Where I live, upgrade fever is quickly nipped in the bud by the National Health Service, as in most cases it isn't considered an emergency and you're put on a long waiting list. Were I to move back to the States I'd seriously consider the Titanium plan, which is quite pricey but covers everything.
Old 01-06-15, 11:51 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,537 Times in 2,624 Posts
Originally Posted by yankeefan
I don't think they make 5spd cassettes period. You'll likely have to get a 5spd freewheel, which means also getting a custom built rear wheel since nobody manufactures wheels without a freehub anymore. Like I said, drive train upgrades (or downgrade in your case) are a slippery slope. Very rarely can you get away with just changing one thing.
Yeah, I was just joking. I hadn't considered a replacement wheel, but in my case, with Retroshifts, I would also need to get shifter(s) that can do friction (unless 9sp odd indexes happen to work with 5).
Old 01-06-15, 04:22 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Quoted: 7414 Post(s)
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,523 Posts
This thread: !

I've made several changes to my 1995 Bianchi Volpe but not to the drivetrain. It doesn't work like a top; it shifts slowly. But I'll wait until I really have to make a chance.

In the meantime, I've changed the cantilever arms and am about to try a third set. The current set gives me frightful shudder.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-07-15, 12:31 AM
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
IMHO the best upgrade is to go FG/SS and then you don't have to worry about any special maintenance. I love the simplicity and fun I get out of my FG/SS drivetrains.
My uptown has only one real ongoing maintenance issue & that's shifter cable stretch. Not a dangerous thing, but it can get irritating if you keep forgetting the cable(s) are loose.

- Andy