Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Emonda Pictures. Let's See Them!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Emonda Pictures. Let's See Them!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 09:50 AM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
One heck of a nice bike in particular for what you have into it bluehills.
Are you a little over 6' tall..maybe 6'1" or 6'2" or so? Pretty high saddle position.
Old 05-17-18, 03:21 PM

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

With my new Aelous Pro 3 wheels on top of Florida's highest "mountain"
Old 05-18-18, 01:18 PM

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
One heck of a nice bike in particular for what you have into it bluehills.
Are you a little over 6' tall..maybe 6'1" or 6'2" or so? Pretty high saddle position.
Yes- 6'2" (188cm)
Inseam is 90.5cm or 35.6".
Old 07-31-18, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by haggiszero
This is a pic of my souped-up 2016 ALR 6.
eTAP Wifli, HED Ardennes Black Wheels, Zipp Carbon Seatpost, Thomson Carbon Bars.
Haven't weighted it since several upgrades ago but I have a very good estimate of ~16.5lbs.
Beautiful build!
What size is your frame?
Old 08-16-18, 05:43 AM
Lost in Space

Bikes: 1985 Trek 520, 1992 Trek 1200, 2014 Trek Remedy 8, 2019 Trek Emonda SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't had a chance to get out for a longer ride with nicer scenery so this pic will have to do. So far I am really liking it. Hoping to get a good many miles on it this weekend.

2019 SL6 Disc
Old 08-16-18, 09:09 AM

Bikes: 2012 Tarmac, 2016 Emonda sl5

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Emonda SL in it's natural habitat. Got the frame through a warranty in February, Decided to build it up with a newest ultegra mechanical groupset.
Old 08-16-18, 12:18 PM
the slow guy

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, BMC GF02 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a used 2016 Emonda SL6 in early July 2018. I switched over to it from a Specialized Roubaix. The Roubaix was a great "first carbon road bike", but it taught me that I wanted something less endurance-y and more performance oriented. I decided to get this bike after renting the exact model when riding Mont Ventoux. I was lucky enough to be on vacation in France near Mont Ventoux, so I had to take a day and challenge myself. It was awesome. I also really loved my rental bike. Good move by Trek to get their bikes in stores as a rental fleet.

Like many here, the bike is in the stealth black color scheme. I find it's really difficult to get a good photo of the matte, all black bike. So, I give you a professional photo of me on the rental, in the final km of Ventoux.

Ventoux Climb by benadrian, on Flickr

Now, how do I add some color?
Old 08-16-18, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc SRAM eTap

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^^^^^^Very nice, and a bucket list climb for me!
Old 08-16-18, 02:33 PM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by benadrian
I picked up a used 2016 Emonda SL6 in early July 2018. I switched over to it from a Specialized Roubaix. The Roubaix was a great "first carbon road bike", but it taught me that I wanted something less endurance-y and more performance oriented. I decided to get this bike after renting the exact model when riding Mont Ventoux. I was lucky enough to be on vacation in France near Mont Ventoux, so I had to take a day and challenge myself. It was awesome. I also really loved my rental bike. Good move by Trek to get their bikes in stores as a rental fleet.

Like many here, the bike is in the stealth black color scheme. I find it's really difficult to get a good photo of the matte, all black bike. So, I give you a professional photo of me on the rental, in the final km of Ventoux.

Ventoux Climb by benadrian, on Flickr

Now, how do I add some color?
You are wrong if you believe an Emonda is a better performance bike than a Roubaix with Specialized higher modulus which creates a light bike. Both the Roubaix and Emonda have been raced in professional cycling and the Roubaix has more tour wins to its credit. It is a more celebrated race bike having won the race it was named for several times. I have dropped countless Emonda riders including a close friend I built a SL6 for a few months back. Difference in the bikes is not enough to mask differences in the riders. An Emonda I agree is a good bike but it is no better or worse than even a five year old SL3 Roubaix with 10r carbon. My experience. The pricey SLR Emonda however is a step above in lightness which would matter fractionally when climbing. A considerable premium for that weight reduction that most couldn't detect in a blind test.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-16-18 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-16-18, 03:12 PM
the slow guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are wrong if you believe an Emonda is a better performance bike than a Roubaix with Specialized higher modulus which creates a light bike. Both the Roubaix and Emonda have been raced in professional cycling and the Roubaix has more tour wins to its credit. It is a more celebrated race bike having won the race it was named for several times. I have dropped countless Emonda riders including a close friend I built a SL6 for a few months back. Difference in the bikes is not enough to mask differences in the riders. An Emonda I agree is a good bike but it is no better or worse than even a five year old SL3 Roubaix with 10r carbon. My experience. The pricey SLR Emonda however is a step above in lightness which would matter fractionally when climbing. A considerable premium for that weight reduction that most couldn't detect in a blind test.
I'm not trying to be right or wrong, I'm just trying to find a bike that I love to ride and that makes me want to ride more and for longer. Gear is cool and tinkering is fun!

I had an SL4 base model Roubaix with FACT 8r carbon. Overall, it was a great bike that was always very good to me. I have a long torso and short legs for my height. I feel my legs ride a 56 and my torso rides a 58. I struggled a bit with the Roubaix fit. It felt cramped in the cockpit. It's a pretty upright ride as it is for a human without my corgi-like proportions. I tried a longer stem, but I didn't like the feel on the handling.

I rode an Emonda, loved it, found it fit my body better, and got one. In the process, I went from Tiagra to Ultegra, which is an extremely noticeable upgrade. If the Roubaix geometry was a little more like the Emonda, or if I'd gotten a Tarmac rather than a Roubaix, I'd probably just be upgrading the component set rather than doing a whole bike swap.

I don't race. I only compete against myself and my previous fastest time. I want to know that I can get to the top of hills and mountains on my own power. I know I can do that on any competent bike, but I'm lucky enough to get to try out a number of nice bikes and pick one that feel good, works well, and excites me as a gear head. Who knows, in a year I might be building up another, different bike. I've considered building my own wheels just because I can try and I like a good project. It's the same kind of satisfaction as making it to the top of the big hill.

Cheers!
Old 08-17-18, 08:51 AM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm not trying to be right or wrong, I'm just trying to find a bike that I love to ride and that makes me want to ride more and for longer. Gear is cool and tinkering is fun!

I had an SL4 base model Roubaix with FACT 8r carbon. Overall, it was a great bike that was always very good to me. I have a long torso and short legs for my height. I feel my legs ride a 56 and my torso rides a 58. I struggled a bit with the Roubaix fit. It felt cramped in the cockpit. It's a pretty upright ride as it is for a human without my corgi-like proportions. I tried a longer stem, but I didn't like the feel on the handling.

I rode an Emonda, loved it, found it fit my body better, and got one. In the process, I went from Tiagra to Ultegra, which is an extremely noticeable upgrade. If the Roubaix geometry was a little more like the Emonda, or if I'd gotten a Tarmac rather than a Roubaix, I'd probably just be upgrading the component set rather than doing a whole bike swap.

I don't race. I only compete against myself and my previous fastest time. I want to know that I can get to the top of hills and mountains on my own power. I know I can do that on any competent bike, but I'm lucky enough to get to try out a number of nice bikes and pick one that feel good, works well, and excites me as a gear head. Who knows, in a year I might be building up another, different bike. I've considered building my own wheels just because I can try and I like a good project. It's the same kind of satisfaction as making it to the top of the big hill.

Cheers!
I believe what you wrote shows keen insight in particular for somebody hasn't been into the depths of the sport. Yes, you are built the opposite of the geometry that works best for Roubaix riders like myself who are all legs.

If you want even a medium fit with your proportions than more of a full race geometry what Trek calls H1 may even be better for you.

You had the lower level Roubaix with 8r carbon. Not sure in a blind test one can really tell the difference but an analogy relative to the Emonda is, many believe the SL6 Emonda is a notably better bike than the S6 lowest level carbon. Many believe the Emonda ALR, the Al version to be better than the base level carbon Emonda S6.

So there are many shades of grey to bike differences. The Emonda should fit you better and no doubt the SL6 is lighter than the 8r Roubaix you had. I have ridden both bikes quite a bit. They are 'different' in personality but the term better is more subjective and in terms of speed there is little between them. I really like the Emonda. Not a fan of the single bolt seatpost, OK however with the inverted seat mast/cap design due to controlled flex....don't like Trek's carbon bore BB90 bottom bracket but it can be managed, but love the Emonda bike...its ride, handling and the speed that can be created on one. SL6 is a great bike and ride safe.
Old 08-17-18, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cheers!
Lol.... I too feel like a Corgi sometimes, short legs and long Torso. My height says 58, but my legs say 55.
Old 08-28-18, 08:32 AM
Lost in Space

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone with a disc version Emonda mounted Continental 28mm GP4000Sii tires by chance?
Old 08-28-18, 07:16 PM

Bikes: Emonda SLR, Salsa Warbird carbon

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NUTNDUN
Has anyone with a disc version Emonda mounted Continental 28mm GP4000Sii tires by chance?
No but I have done so on my rim brake 2018 Emonda.
Old 08-29-18, 01:34 AM
Lost in Space

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by springs
No but I have done so on my rim brake 2018 Emonda.
Terrific. Thank you.
Old 08-29-18, 04:52 AM

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Made some changes since my last post. . .Upgraded to DA 9150, Bontrager XXX carbon saddle and DT Swiss DiCut Oxic wheels.

Old 09-03-18, 10:50 AM

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, 2020 Ribble CGR Ti

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love this color. ❤️❤️❤️

Originally Posted by NUTNDUN
Haven't had a chance to get out for a longer ride with nicer scenery so this pic will have to do. So far I am really liking it. Hoping to get a good many miles on it this weekend.
Old 09-03-18, 05:03 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
No changes to mine, but i just passed 20,000 miles on it.

Old 09-04-18, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
New Emonda SL. Mix of 6800 and 8000 Ultegra. Current wheels older Dura Ace until I determine what I want to go with.
Old 09-04-18, 12:43 PM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I am a big fan of the Emonda and a couple of questions please to the owners of these great bikes:

1. with the single bolt saddle clamp..the bolt up top at the rails.... that is part of the seat mast cap that comes on all Emondas, do any of the heavier riders ever have problem with the saddle losing its tilt...maybe over rough road riding?

2. anybody have problems with their bottom bracket creaking? Trek uses slip fit BB90 with carbon bores on all their Emondas.

Thanks
Old 09-04-18, 01:01 PM
Lost in Space

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a big fan of the Emonda and a couple of questions please to the owners of these great bikes:

1. with the single bolt saddle clamp..the bolt up top at the rails.... that is part of the seat mast cap that comes on all Emondas, do any of the heavier riders ever have problem with the saddle losing its tilt...maybe over rough road riding?

2. anybody have problems with their bottom bracket creaking? Trek uses slip fit BB90 with carbon bores on all their Emondas.

Thanks
I haven't been fond of the single bolt seat rail clamp. Good thing is once you get it set it doesn't really need to be messed with again. The issue I was having with mine was the one side gets stuck and makes adjusting tilt a pain in the arse. Haven't really had any creaking from the seat either. I made sure I torqued it to the proper amount.

I haven't had any creaking from the bottom bracket either. I am a heavier rider at 215+ and have put about 300 miles on my Emonda so far and no issues.
Old 09-04-18, 02:34 PM
the slow guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks
1. I had some problems. I put on my saddle, adjusted it, and torqued it down. I always go a bit light with the torque wrench at first. If I remember correctly, the seatpost/saddle clamp asks for something like 16nM? I was partway through a ride and I started getting blasted in my taint region. I stopped and my saddle had slid fully back and went slightly up. When I got home I readjusted and applied the full torque setting. It's been fine ever since.

2. No issues in my brief ownership period.
Old 09-09-18, 08:16 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.2 2011 => Trek Emonda ALR 4 2017

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not sure if it's BB or not, but when I am riding on a high gear on a crankset, there's a feeling of small vibration like chain is rubbing of something. I asked technicians of my bike shop (at least 4 locations) to look at it, and they say chain's not rubbing.
Old 09-10-18, 01:51 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts

Thanks
The trick to the Trek seat mast (which I hate BTW...) is to keep the cone greased. This allows you to torque it to the proper setting and have it stay.
Old 09-10-18, 05:12 AM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462

The trick to the Trek seat mast (which I hate BTW...) is to keep the cone greased. This allows you to torque it to the proper setting and have it stay.
Thanks for the tip. Perhaps counterintuitive that grease with its lubricity would help a rotary compression clamp not slip...but I believe compression trumps lubricity in this application. Grease as with press fit bearing applications, fills in micro voids and increases surface contact.

I presume that carbon friction plates on the cones of the single bolt compression clamp 'may' work even better because the fluid will fill the voids and the particles within the paste will increase friction.

Will say this. To me, just astounding Trek, Specialized and Cervelo utilize a single bolt rotory compression clamp to keep a saddle in place knowing that heavier riders move around the saddle and sometime ride rough roads. The torque on that rotory clamp which is as much as a pivot as it is a clamp is very high. To me, ridiculous.

Specialized and Cervelo in many applications have offered a two bolt clamp as an option. Sometimes not however and never Trek. I have had single bolt clamps slip at the worse times during a ride.

Other thing of course is Trek's notorious 'carbon bore' BB90. Why would they ask for trouble with this design?

To me, both designs are dubious. The kicker is, the bikes themselves that Trek makes are truly outstanding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.