Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-23, 08:11 AM

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 255 Posts
I can't even imagine buying ready-made wheels any more. Why would anyone sacrifice a few hours of peace and quiet when building the wheels themselves? Very relaxing.
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 03-13-23, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
I can't even imagine buying ready-made wheels any more. Why would anyone sacrifice a few hours of peace and quiet when building the wheels themselves? Very relaxing.
tbf, to me it was a daunting task building my own (and so far only) wheelset - lot's of things can go wrong and it's quite the initial investment.
Old 03-13-23, 09:43 AM

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 3,043 Times in 1,001 Posts
A couple of hours with the PX10 this weekend but no action shots of me laboriously cleaning the triple, sorry. I pulled a 52 off my '71 PX to put on this one, and spent some time with 3000 sandpaper removing oxidation from the arms. Not going crazy because it's a rider. It's now clean and shiny but not mirror. Starting to put it back together, the cranks are back on the frame as is the rear derailleur. I expect to have it largely reassembled next weekend.

Old 03-13-23, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Positron400
tbf, to me it was a daunting task building my own (and so far only) wheelset - lot's of things can go wrong and it's quite the initial investment.
Well, there is the cost of a stand, or, if you get a rubbish stand, you pay with the whole process taking more time. I'm lucky to have a good supplier for quality spokes and nipples, so a wheelset costs me about £37 ($44) plus the hub and rim. So all depends on how much you want to splash on that. Typically I don't splash much.
Old 03-13-23, 10:52 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Liked 1,867 Times in 1,081 Posts
Well, there is the cost of a stand, or, if you get a rubbish stand, you pay with the whole process taking more time.
I'm fond (SWMBO says overly fond) of quality tools. That said, many of us trued our first wheels 'in the dropouts', aligning with the brake blocks.

Chapeau!
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-13-23, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by tcs
I'm fond (SWMBO says overly fond) of quality tools. That said, many of us trued our first wheels 'in the dropouts', aligning with the brake blocks.
Chapeau!
Quality tools are much cheaper in the long run.I needed something light and portable and it's fine for the time being, but I know I will have to spend money again or build another stand myself.
Old 03-13-23, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 150 Posts
Here are my latest projects, a '92 DB Axis Pro that I picked up as a parts bike but decided to salvage as the frame was so nice, and an '85 Rocky Mountain Giro.

Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 03-14-23, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts

Here is a little something I just finished.
It started out as an early 70's Raleigh Record that had been donated to the bike Exchange. At first glance it looked like just another tired old workhorse bicycle but on closer inspection was fitted out with Campagnolo Record hardware. I stripped off all the good stuf and was about to throw it into a pile of old frames in the back room for probable disposal later. lying there on the floor was another old Raleigh ladies frame the same color. Instead of tossing my frame I picked up the other one too and brought them back to my place. As I was working in the garage building up another bike I got the inspiration for this one.

Originally I planned to mask off the original decals mounted on a black panel and paint the rest of the bike black to match. Then I was going to clear coat everything, hopefully blending in the decal background. Unfortunately, when I pulled off the masking tape from the decal a good portion of the lettering came with it so I changed plans, sanded off the rest of the lettering, and painted the entire frame Rustoleum Automotive Black enamel.

A unique feature on this bike is the drop down adaptors for the caliper brakes which lower them enough to work with 700 c rims. This made possible the fitting of the 622 x 23 yellow stripe tires which I had just waiting for rhe right build. The 1x7 indexed gearing is a good fit for an urban commuter and saves weight and complexity .

Everything for this build came from my parts stash. I wasn't trying to build a weight weenie but when everything was complete and I put it on my hanging scale it only weighed 24.6 lbs. It should make some Techie hipster, Male, Female, or Other, the perfect townie. If nothing else, at that weight it should make carrying it upstairs easy.

Last edited by capnjonny; 03-14-23 at 11:21 PM.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 03-14-23, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by capnjonny
It started out as an early 70's Raleigh Record that had been donated to the bike Exchange. At first glance it looked like just another tired old workhorse bicycle but on closer inspection was fitted out with Campagnolo Record hardware. I stripped off all the good stuf and was about to throw it into a pile of old frames in the back room for probable disposal later. lying there on the floor was another old Raleigh ladies frame the same color. Instead of tossing my frame I picked up the other one too and brought them back to my place. As I was working in the garage building up another bike I got the inspiration for tis one.

Originally I planned to mask off the original decals mounted on a black panel and paint the rest of the bike black to match. Then I was going to clear coat everything, hopefully blending in the decal background. Unfortunately, when I pulled off the masking tape from the decal a good portion of the lettering came with it so I changed plans, sanded off the rest of the lettering, and painted the entire frame Rustoleum Automotive Black enamel.

A unique feature on this bike is the drop down adaptors for the caliper brakes which lower them enough to work with 700 c rims. This made possible the fitting of the 622 x 23 yellow stripe tires which I had just waiting for rhe right build. The 1x7 indexed gearing is a good fit for an urban commuter and saves weight and complexity .

Everything for this build came from my parts stash. I wasn't trying to build a weight weenie but when everything was complete and I put it on my hanging scale it only weighed 24.6 lbs. It should make some Techie hipster, Male, Female, or Other, the perfect townie. If nothing else, at that weight it should make carrying it upstairs easy.
Nice bicycle and a nice part stash to rely on. I think I will have to find some bicycle co-ops for the future.

Arent's the pads on the rear caliper backwards though?
Old 03-14-23, 04:19 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4543 Post(s)
Liked 6,484 Times in 3,724 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny

It started out as an early 70's Raleigh Record that had been donated to the bike Exchange. At first glance it looked like just another tired old workhorse bicycle but on closer inspection was fitted out with Campagnolo Record hardware. I stripped off all the good stuf and was about to throw it into a pile of old frames in the back room for probable disposal later. lying there on the floor was another old Raleigh ladies frame the same color. Instead of tossing my frame I picked up the other one too and brought them back to my place. As I was working in the garage building up another bike I got the inspiration for tis one.

Pretty cool in a one by, hipster, dipster sort of way.

Wish I had cool wheelsets like that in my stash, pretty sure I would find some more "expendable" ones for a project that was going to get moved along.
Old 03-15-23, 05:30 AM
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 250 Posts
Lighten Up

Getting some lighting installed on the camper tourer commuter

dyno on the way!

SuperNova

Last edited by mrv; 03-15-23 at 06:48 PM.
Likes For mrv:
Old 03-15-23, 09:20 AM

I'm preparing Spring clearance. After a bit of deliberation I decided I don't actually want to build up an early 90's bicycle. I have two projects going on and sadly no room for infinite fleet of bicycles or components. So I decided to pull out all the Ultegra 6400 components I was preparing for it, check everything, clean the items that were used and prepare it all for sale. Miche Primato seatpost is obviously not a part of the Ultegra 6400 group. I got it because it was long and its colour is similar to Shimano anodising on those components. Now back to photographing each item and trawling through my other parts boxes.

Old 03-15-23, 09:33 AM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked 5,196 Times in 1,822 Posts
A different kind of "wrenching" yesterday. With over 4 ft. of snow on the roof and two days of rain coming I had to get it off. Plan was to cut as much off as I could with some paracord. But luckily I live in Utah. Neighbors rallied and came over to help this hobbled up old soldier. I was out there about 7 hours yesterday and had help for at least 3 of them. Knees were screaming and at the end each foot step was about 6" long. Man, I can't wait for the new knees that are coming finally!! Anyway it was a ton of work mostly done by my neighbors, that snow was so wet and heavy. When we got done I still had to climb up on one pile in front to shovel it off the window it was covering. As luck would have it one leg broke through and left the other one twisted behind me. Needless to say I took off work today because I can't even bend the one knee.

Anyway to keep 'er bike related here's a shot from this morning out of the bike cave. This is my first floor and my basement is only halfway submerged. So yeah, this is high, LOL!

Looking out of the bike cave

Same pile from outside last night after we "finished".

I've still got to go out there today and clear about 3 ft. of this wet stuff from my front sidewalk and door. I need them to be able to deliver the final parts I need for the Krapf bike today. That's more important than resting the old body, LOL!
Old 03-15-23, 09:54 AM
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2519 Post(s)
Liked 3,300 Times in 2,070 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
A different kind of "wrenching" yesterday. With over 4 ft. of snow on the roof and two days of rain coming I had to get it off. Plan was to cut as much off as I could with some paracord. But luckily I live in Utah. Neighbors rallied and came over to help this hobbled up old soldier. I was out there about 7 hours yesterday and had help for at least 3 of them. Knees were screaming and at the end each foot step was about 6" long. Man, I can't wait for the new knees that are coming finally!! Anyway it was a ton of work mostly done by my neighbors, that snow was so wet and heavy. When we got done I still had to climb up on one pile in front to shovel it off the window it was covering. As luck would have it one leg broke through and left the other one twisted behind me. Needless to say I took off work today because I can't even bend the one knee.

Anyway to keep 'er bike related here's a shot from this morning out of the bike cave. This is my first floor and my basement is only halfway submerged. So yeah, this is high, LOL!

Looking out of the bike cave

Same pile from outside last night after we "finished".

I've still got to go out there today and clear about 3 ft. of this wet stuff from my front sidewalk and door. I need them to be able to deliver the final parts I need for the Krapf bike today. That's more important than resting the old body, LOL!
Thats such a cool bike room James. And lots of snow there!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Old 03-15-23, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 440 Times in 150 Posts
The Kestrel Build Project … Finished.

Finished The Winter Build.

As received

The fun part

Satisfactory results
The two photos are Before and After. It was a well cared for bike to begin with, so, cosmetically wasn’t difficult. The Project was to convert the set of antlers to drop bars. Internal cable routing made me rather nervous as I had never done that process before. Some over budget purchases on eBay, an hour on YouTube, and six feet of thin tubing from Richardson Bike Mart, and I was ready to go. Three hours later and Done!

JD, Dallas
Likes For jim dandy:
Old 03-15-23, 08:43 PM
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts

Overhauled this seemingly NOS RX100 front hub tonight. Lots of old crusty grease to clean out, but I think it'll run very smoothly now (and hopefully for another 30+years)
Likes For nick_a:
Old 03-16-23, 11:37 AM
Old age cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 30 Posts

Just
Just finished this Motobecane Super Mirage. Either Motobecane or Compagnolo components. It has been a labor of love.
Old 03-16-23, 12:36 PM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,110 Posts
In January I reported getting a Park 2.2 truing stand.
I broke down and bought the base. My rational was that the stand was such a good price that overpaying for some plastic and a couple of parts was worth it.

Today the broken, stuck adjustment screw was finally removed with some heat and lube. It was in the corner.
Old 03-16-23, 04:06 PM

I'm still stuck with the Superbe Pro frame. Well, the stem is stuck, so patiently soaking it in oil and WD40. Don't really want to mess up $200 stem for sure. So I'm taking the long route here. No rush. Also drive side BB cup is stuck, but the obstacle here is lack of spring washers of correct size in my local hardware store. And then the freewheel still resists, so again, WD40 and oil soaking until I can get it off. I feel like my life would be much easier if everyone gresed stuff and maintained it properly, but these are the charms of working with vintage components.
So, whilst I'm waiting for oil and WD40 to soak into seized threads, I decided to make a start on the Superbe components. Today it was the pedals. Whilst I'm not able to take the cages off fully (again, stuck / seized screws), I did my best at cleaning them. I resigned myself to accepting they won't be visually perfect. Still, mechanically, they are fantastic. Smotth like butter. I was also todays' years old when I found out that using steel brush bit on the rotary tool is much better when working on chromed parts than using the brass brush bit. Clears out surface rust like a charm. Now I'm going to put these pedals on my daily commuting bike (replacing current Lyotard 460D which need some adjustment) to get used to them. Heck, to be honest, I'm really tempted to put all the Superbe components on it and thake them for a spin.

Old 03-16-23, 05:37 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

I'm still stuck with the Superbe Pro frame. Well, the stem is stuck, so patiently soaking it in oil and WD40. Don't really want to mess up $200 stem for sure. So I'm taking the long route here. No rush. Also drive side BB cup is stuck, but the obstacle here is lack of spring washers of correct size in my local hardware store. And then the freewheel still resists, so again, WD40 and oil soaking until I can get it off. I feel like my life would be much easier if everyone gresed stuff and maintained it properly, but these are the charms of working with vintage components.
So, whilst I'm waiting for oil and WD40 to soak into seized threads, I decided to make a start on the Superbe components. Today it was the pedals. Whilst I'm not able to take the cages off fully (again, stuck / seized screws), I did my best at cleaning them. I resigned myself to accepting they won't be visually perfect. Still, mechanically, they are fantastic. Smotth like butter. I was also todays' years old when I found out that using steel brush bit on the rotary tool is much better when working on chromed parts than using the brass brush bit. Clears out surface rust like a charm. Now I'm going to put these pedals on my daily commuting bike (replacing current Lyotard 460D which need some adjustment) to get used to them. Heck, to be honest, I'm really tempted to put all the Superbe components on it and thake them for a spin.

IMO, you may not get there with WD and oil, you need a far more robust penetrant, PB Blaster, Kroil, ATF and acetone, Marvel Mystery oil or the like.

I really do hope you get there, I have a couple of stuck stems that I refuse to destruct including one that has the wedge completely pulled up inside the stem.

They both got soaked and manhandled a bunch to no avail so far, I need to get back after them.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-16-23, 10:36 PM
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 864 Posts
Today's wrenching wasn't on an actual bicycle, but adding additional bicycle carrying capacity to my ol' pickup. Recently I've had to repeatedly carry 10+ bikes at a time, so I figure space for two more up front should prove useful soon.

Just need to check the curb clearance, and we should be set.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 03-16-23, 10:42 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Drat! I must've hit my "Like Limit" for this 24-hour period once again!

This is gettin' redonkulous...

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-16-23, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by merziac
IMO, you may not get there with WD and oil, you need a far more robust penetrant, PB Blaster, Kroil, ATF and acetone, Marvel Mystery oil or the like.

I really do hope you get there, I have a couple of stuck stems that I refuse to destruct including one that has the wedge completely pulled up inside the stem.

They both got soaked and manhandled a bunch to no avail so far, I need to get back after them.
That's what I have at hand at the moment, so it probably won't hurt. Got a bottle of acetone somewhere though, thanks for reminding me
The wedge here is of the conical variety. I was trying to shine some light down the stem yesterday and it does seem to be inside the stem still. Not actually sure if the wedge is steel, though difficult to say looking through a 6mm hole. The next stage will be blocking the head tube from below and spraying stuff inside the bolt hole of the stem. And then probably looking for more effective penetrants.
The bicycle was generally in an okay-ish condition, it probably was stored somewhere indoors and perhaps ridden sometime over the last decade. So I'm hoping the stem isn't stuck too bad. If it doesn't come out, I will probably build the bike up anyway and ride it for some time (and regulary spray the stem / inside of it with penetrants). Perhaps this will help to get it unstuck.
Old 03-17-23, 12:21 AM

That's what I have at hand at the moment, so it probably won't hurt. Got a bottle of acetone somewhere though, thanks for reminding me
The wedge here is of the conical variety. I was trying to shine some light down the stem yesterday and it does seem to be inside the stem still. Not actually sure if the wedge is steel, though difficult to say looking through a 6mm hole. The next stage will be blocking the head tube from below and spraying stuff inside the bolt hole of the stem. And then probably looking for more effective penetrants.
The bicycle was generally in an okay-ish condition, it probably was stored somewhere indoors and perhaps ridden sometime over the last decade. So I'm hoping the stem isn't stuck too bad. If it doesn't come out, I will probably build the bike up anyway and ride it for some time (and regulary spray the stem / inside of it with penetrants). Perhaps this will help to get it unstuck.
So did you tap on the stem bolt when it was loose to knock the wedge loose?

If the wedge is still engaged, that may be why it is still stuck or whats keeping it stuck.

Then if you get the wedge out and the stem is still stuck, you can attack it from the bottom and or plug the top to fill with juice if need be.

Strip it down as much as you can to manipulate and wrestle with it.
Old 03-17-23, 09:04 AM

So did you tap on the stem bolt when it was loose to knock the wedge loose?
Yes. I'll repeat that exercise after applying penetrants and letting them work for a bit. On the bright side, I found some flat, steel handlebar that fits the stem, so at least now I have something I can grip properly. When I remove the wedge, that is

If the wedge is still engaged, that may be why it is still stuck or whats keeping it stuck.

Then if you get the wedge out and the stem is still stuck, you can attack it from the bottom and or plug the top to fill with juice if need be.

Strip it down as much as you can to manipulate and wrestle with it.
Today I've made a start with the dropbars. I don't think I've ever seen dropbars with so many deep wounds. Someone in the history of this bicycle wasn't that great with bicycle mechanics. Whereas I'm not bothered with bits that will be underneath the tape, the central portion has some really deep scratches too. And they are here to stay, I can only make them slightly less visible. It went from this:

to this:

Of course, it's not over yet, I expect several more sessions with 1k grit sand paper and some water, alternating with sessions with polishing paste. They will look alright in the end, though battle scars are sadly here to say. I might use a shim for the central bit and camouflage bits sticking out of the stem.
I'd happily replace the bars, but Kusuki Medallion handlebars seem to be rather rare. No info on Velobase, for example, and these don't show up on fleabay too often. For now, I'm not sure if like the bend and width yet. These are 390mm and I'm used to wider handlebars, but I'll reserve my judgement until I'm able to take them for a spin. I might go for the other Kusuki model eventually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.