Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23, 07:34 AM

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
I like the bend on these bars. Some time ago I got a bicycle equipped with Kusuki Medallion handlebar with a similar bend and I was initially sceptical (I'm used to Cinelli Campione del Mondo). Right now I find it way more comfortable than CdM.
Agree. for a great period of my life on a bike, I rode Cinelli 65 bars, and there were a lot of nice positions for the hands with that bend. Trouble is now that I run Campy Ergo 10, the brakes would be way too low on the hooks, and I like them fairly low on my TTT ergo bars as it stands. BTW: that Nitto Craft stem is just gorgeous.

Last edited by MooneyBloke; 10-09-23 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-09-23, 01:59 PM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked 2,254 Times in 1,124 Posts
Some time ago, I wanted to try the 65-40 bar. Finally aquired one, and took my time to mount it on my "mule" bike
It has been on there about a year, maybe more without a long enough ride.
Decided to take the "mule" on the vacation to Hilton Head Island. 20 miles later I am thinking of swapping all the 64s for 65s. Better fit for my hands on the upper bend.
Old 10-10-23, 10:28 AM
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 882 Posts
I was up at sunrise trying to finish this Trek for the Recycle Your Bicycle program. It seems to be ready to go, except it needs four new cantilever brake shoes which I don't have on hand at the moment. I'll take it in and get it finished up so it's ready for donation. Looks like it'll turn out nice.

Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 10-10-23, 12:09 PM
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2540 Post(s)
Liked 3,365 Times in 2,108 Posts
Phase 1 garage rethinking complete. Holds 10 bikes in 84 inches.

Phases 2 and 3 to come.

Paint-phase 1

General structure

6 bikes up.

Had to notch the board a bit to lessen the load on the tire. Tire needs air.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 10-10-23, 04:26 PM
Cantilever believer

Got called in for some urgent catch-up work at Recycle Your Bicycle, so I abandoned my paying clients, picked up a friend, and high-tailed it to the east edge of town to spend a whole day wrenching.

First I finished the Trek, and put a stop to the cantilever problems with brand new shoes.

Then on to other bikes. This one looks tired.

Then turning my tender attention to a sickly Sikk, which received a bit of rattle-can therapy to the ape-hangers.

And the season has barely begun!
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 10-10-23, 09:11 PM
Cantilever believer

Postscript: Sikk turned out reasonably sweet.

Worked a couple smaller bikes too.

"Execute General Order 66."
Old 10-11-23, 07:27 AM
Uff Da!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
First I finished the Trek, and put a stop to the cantilever problems with brand new shoes.
The cantilever brakes on my recently refurbished '86 Schwinn Voyageur need some help. The shoes are probably the originals.
What replacements would you recommend?

Old 10-11-23, 07:52 AM
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by Sierra
The cantilever brakes on my recently refurbished '86 Schwinn Voyageur need some help. The shoes are probably the originals.
What replacements would you recommend?
I switched most of my personal post-mount brakes over to direct-pull decades ago. And the replacement cantilever shoes we use at RYB are intended for function and affordability, not performance. But I've had good experiences with Kool-Stop pads.
https://koolstop.com/collections/int...ost-cantilever
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 10-11-23, 10:53 AM

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 162 Posts
I'd go with the Cross Pad cantilever; smooth post, with the ability to switch out just the rubber. The dual compound has plenty of bite. When it's time to change the pads, you won't have to fiddle with re-doing the setup. The pads are also short enough that they shouldn't interfere with the fork blades.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 10-11-23, 11:48 AM
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Quoted: 2175 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,237 Posts
A set of Tektro 539 sidepull dual pivot caliper brakes will bolt right on there, give you superior braking, and will interface perfectly with those levers.
Yes, I know it’s heresy, but it was the best braking improvement I made on my 87 Voy after trying a number of other options.
No more squealing! Great modulation! Room for fenders!
Old 10-12-23, 06:53 AM
Uff Da!

Originally Posted by rccardr
A set of Tektro 539 sidepull dual pivot caliper brakes will bolt right on there, give you superior braking, and will interface perfectly with those levers.
Yes, I know it’s heresy, but it was the best braking improvement I made on my 87 Voy after trying a number of other options.
No more squealing! Great modulation! Room for fenders!
I'm not averse to changing things up. I like to "upgrade" my bikes when I can.
Do you have a thread on changing the brakes on your Voyageur?
I remember one where the cantilever posts had to be cut off for clearance of the new brakes. I would prefer not to do that.
Old 10-12-23, 07:16 AM
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Quoted: 2175 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,237 Posts
I'm not averse to changing things up. I like to "upgrade" my bikes when I can.
Do you have a thread on changing the brakes on your Voyageur?
I remember one where the cantilever posts had to be cut off for clearance of the new brakes. I would prefer not to do that.
Nope, no cutting required, completely reversable. Use Tektro 539's of the nutted variety.
Works with original DiaCompe non-aero brake levers or the aero ones you have currently mounted.
Room for fenders and racks.
Pics to illustrate:

Old 10-12-23, 08:24 AM

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

As much as my love of cantilevers compels me to disagree, it's difficult to argue with rccardr's advice. My only, purely aesthetic, gripe (which I use jovially) is with the vacant canti-posts. Otherwise, I agree with everything he's said.

The 539's also make the 27" to 700c conversion much less hassle. Voyageur cantilever post placement limits you to vintage cantilevers with a good amount of vertical adjustment. Even then, you'd have to set them up in a way that compromises optimal mechanical advantage. Although, if you intend to stick to 27" wheels and tires, I'd suggest trying some Kool-Stops first
Likes For Rooney:
Old 10-12-23, 04:23 PM

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooney
As much as my love of cantilevers compels me to disagree, it's difficult to argue with rccardr's advice. My only, purely aesthetic, gripe (which I use jovially) is with the vacant canti-posts. Otherwise, I agree with everything he's said.

The 539's also make the 27" to 700c conversion much less hassle. Voyageur cantilever post placement limits you to vintage cantilevers with a good amount of vertical adjustment. Even then, you'd have to set them up in a way that compromises optimal mechanical advantage. Although, if you intend to stick to 27" wheels and tires, I'd suggest trying some Kool-Stops first
What's wrong with cantilevers though? Plenty of variety when it comes to the pads, KoolStop in the US or Fibrax in the UK are sure to have compatible stuff. As for the mounts, if I had that issue, I would probably think about re-purposing them for mounting lights
Old 10-12-23, 09:41 PM
Cantilever believer

Back at Recycle Your Bicycle today for more wrenchin'.

Mostly routine two-wheel rehabilitation, but saw a couple odd things.

Don't usually see a front wheel dished like this...

Then worked on a bicycle with a braking system I hadn't encountered before. What first caught my attention was two brakes, but one lever and only one cable from the lever. The right rear brake shoe is connected to the front brake cable, and when the shoe engages it slides forward and pulls the front brake arms together. Not easy to adjust...

(cable in foreground runs from right rear brake shoe to the front brake assembly)

Braking performance was... adequate, but I wasn't able to get anywhere near locking the front prior to skidding the rear.

We'll see what fun Saturday brings...
Old 10-12-23, 11:17 PM

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Rossin Progress. Cinderella goes to rehab, Super Record lever set overhaul...

Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr

Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr

by nemosengineer, on Flickr

: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 10-12-23 at 11:41 PM. Reason: correction
Likes For Nemosengineer:
Old 10-13-23, 04:20 AM

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,107 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Then worked on a bicycle with a braking system I hadn't encountered before. What first caught my attention was two brakes, but one lever and only one cable from the lever. The right rear brake shoe is connected to the front brake cable, and when the shoe engages it slides forward and pulls the front brake arms together. Not easy to adjust...

I worked on one of those systems a couple of months ago. Yup, I was quite puzzled over it for a while but figured it out. It was on an expensive kids bike. I decided that it meant only one brake lever (good for small children) but still gave them rear and front brakes with front brake engagement lagging the rear a wee bit. One of the few I’ve seen that have a front brake. Can’t argue with the objectives.
Old 10-13-23, 07:02 AM
Uff Da!

Originally Posted by Rooney

What's wrong with cantilevers though? Plenty of variety when it comes to the pads, KoolStop in the US or Fibrax in the UK are sure to have compatible stuff. As for the mounts, if I had that issue, I would probably think about re-purposing them for mounting lights
Thanks to all who answered.
I'm going to try the Kool-Stop shoes with the cantilevers first and If I'm still not happy with the braking I'll go with the Tektro brakes.
Likes For Sierra:
Old 10-13-23, 12:14 PM

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 255 Posts
Thanks to all who answered.
I'm going to try the Kool-Stop shoes with the cantilevers first and If I'm still not happy with the braking I'll go with the Tektro brakes.
The only brakes I worked on to date I absolutely despise are V-brakes. OK, not big on disc ones either, but they are usually not my problem On all sidepulls, I noticed that the first thing affecting braking efficiency is usually the cable length. If that's OK, pads, unless badly worn out, are usually OK. I still use Superbe pads on one of the bicycles and they work perfectly fine (great, actually). OK, they squeal like all devils, but these pads are 40 years old. I kept them before I find suitable replacement because they were lightly used throughout these 40 years, but somehow they've been on the bicycle for months now as I still didn't have the time to replace them.

Tektro are pretty good. From what I noticed bolts have a tendency to get a bit of a surface rust, but that's easy to address.
If you're doing conversion to 700c, there's always the option of getting the braze-on mounts removed (though that means at least partial re-painting of the frame). And then there's another option worth checking out: modern cantilever brakes. Like Dia Compe model 999. Wouldn't be surpised if they were made to fit 700c rims. Might depend on the rim thickness, perhaps?

Last edited by VintageSteelEU; 10-13-23 at 12:22 PM.
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 10-13-23, 01:29 PM

I absolutely adore cantilevers. I think the arms can be designed to be the most beautiful components on a bike. When properly set up, I have full faith in their stopping ability. That said, I fully understand people’s frustration with setting them up. They’re not too hard to get right, but they do require a little more consideration. It seems like Sierra is gonna give them a shot with new pads first, which I’m excited to see, but it’s also good they know there’s another option

Likes For Rooney:
Old 10-13-23, 08:54 PM

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked 3,148 Times in 1,014 Posts
I took care of a bunch of loose ends today. On the 71 PX10 upright guest bike I’ve been throwing together, I found out the hard way that 27x1-3/8 Swift Sand Canyon tires are tall enough to rub the bottom of fork crown. I snagged a pair of regular Paselas from Soma’s last sale and mounted them. While I was at it I replaced zip ties with proper top tube cable clips from same said sale, mounted an old front rack and cheesy barrel bag up front, and hung a tail light on it. Also had to finesse the rear shifter location. All seems well and it’s ready for a visitor.

Next I tackled an old high-flange Dura-Ace rear hub that’s been eluding proper adjustment and working itself loose. I think I nailed it this time. It’s on my Falcon, and because of that issue I be at ridden it much this season. I’ll try to ride it on Sunday.

Then I gave some attention to a neighbors’ Specialized Sirrus that’s been hanging for a decade. He needs to get back into action and I volunteered to take care of whatever needs doing. Out of the gate was a drive side broken spoke so tomorrow I’ll see if the local shops happen to have one (black, no less). Other than a quick check and wipe down I didn’t spot anything else that’s malfunctioning. Clean and lube, new brake blocks and tires, and he should be good to go.

Old 10-14-23, 01:03 AM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 678 Posts
AT the end of the month, ordering seatposts for the Trek 6500SLR, Trek 6700SLR, Giant Bronco and Gary Fisher Hookoo Ekoo, ordering two Rock Shox Silver TK Solo Air Forks, 1 easton EA70 stem for the Giant, 1 Easton riser bar for the Giant, grips for the Giant, 3 hope front hubs, 3 Hope 10 speeds hub, 2 other additional pair of shimano xp d t8000 pedals, another pair of shimano XT SL 8000 T Trekking rapid fire plus shifters for the Giant, two Shimano XT FD-T 8000 DH downswing derailleurs, two Shimano XT771 10 speed cassettes, 1 Cane Creek 110EC34 headset for the Giant and 1 Cane Creek 40EC34 headset for the Gary Fisher, two conti crossking tires and set of Michelin Protek tubes for the Giant.The purchases for road projects are postponed

Last edited by georges1; 10-14-23 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-14-23, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 1,843 Times in 1,000 Posts
The Lygie gets some time in the light. Here I put some black Dura Ace 120/100 hubs on black ukai rims. I have not tried these out yet, they just did not have the right look I wanted on the silver frame. They look better here but still not great.

I installed Campy band clamp shifters, but they are shot. The pivot post for the front has lost its grip on the peen, so it tightens and loosens upon shifts. It works still but I have to maintain the 'd' screw. The clunky Regina chain shifts good, or better than I thought they would. I like cranks' the ring guard, and the ramp in the middle is a new thing for me as well.

This was purchased with 27" high flange Campy that have floated to another. The brakes are Dura Ace, a drop hanger bolt has been added to compensate the reach factor. The brake levers are newer Campy. A B-15 Brooks is the saddle. The stem is SR Royal with eagle crested SR Custom bars. I'm not a fan of the bars but they do look right for the Lygie. I'll cable up the brakes and it will be ready for testing.

24lbs 0oz as pictured
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 10-14-23, 11:24 AM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

This afternoon, I completely repainted all the scratches and chips on the Giant Bronco with three coats of green nail polish very close to the original color for maximum protection.

Last edited by georges1; 10-15-23 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-14-23, 11:46 AM
Steel is real

Originally Posted by billnuke1

Should’ve washed’em first!

‘Nother of my barn/garage finds!

Original tires on the 850?!

This is a big bicycle!

Driveside…

Super quiet for in my in house shop! Quick recovery…stupid quiet! I think my garbage disposal makes more noise the this compressor!

Next! In the queue…
Original tires on the 850 which is rare to find. I like the ATX 760 , it was a very responsive and maoeuvrable mountain bike , the exage mountain is a very durable and bulletproof transmission
Likes For georges1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.