Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Probably won't make any friends with this post but....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Probably won't make any friends with this post but....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 11:17 PM
mmmmmm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This whole thread is useless without pictures.
Old 09-26-11, 11:18 PM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by vuduchyld5
My dad is 62...His bike has no saddle, and he wraps his hands in barbed wire and rubs finely ground shards of glass into his eyes before each ride.
Dat ol skool, yo!
Old 09-26-11, 11:20 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Dat ol skool, yo!
Fo realz! hahaha!
Old 09-26-11, 11:34 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2, 2010 Trek Fuel EX 8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with Raydog - all the way! I LOVE that fully worn out feeling after a ride well done! If I'm testing something new on my bike I'm prone to taking it easy as I work with those new shoes or what ever. (I recently bought my first pair of true road shoes - Sidi's Genius Pro 5's - lovin them BIG TIME!) Nothing feels as good as a good hard push of a ride! IMHO the only way to really move that wall we all run into is to PUSH it! Constantly push it to the right!! Every time I attack the big hill I want to complete it faster than last time.

I don't like senseless pain. That includes feet that hurt (new Sidi shoes/new Shimano Ultegra pedals), sore buttocks (new Fizik saddle) etc. But achy quads? That's normal pain and I LIKE IT!! I earned that pain climbing up Snoqualmie Parkway!

I think I get what he's driving at. If I'm not pushing myself I don't get stronger. At least that's been my take in all my outdoor athletic activities. Now I will freely admit that it's just that much funner to PUSH on a really nice bike that I've tweaked to meet my needs puuuuuuuurfectly!! Add in a sunny day in the Snoqualmie Valley and life is damn near as puuuuurfect as it gets!!

So RayDog I'd love to rid with ya! We're cut from the same mold sir!
Old 09-27-11, 12:43 AM

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually ride because I need to go somewhere, like work, the doctor, the store. And sometimes I ride for the simple, pure joy of being with the wind, the sky, the earth, of exploring a new road or path to see where it goes.

If you're attached to the idea of gaining something you lose all that.
Old 09-27-11, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of the nice things about the 50+ forum is that few, if any, really care about "the best brand, the best fit, the proper seat, shaving off a few grams, the right sized tires,etc."

We're happy to ride whatever we have and enjoy it as much as possible.
Old 09-27-11, 05:36 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertL
One of the nice things about the 50+ forum is that few, if any, really care about "the best brand, the best fit, the proper seat, shaving off a few grams, the right sized tires,etc."

We're happy to ride whatever we have and enjoy it as much as possible.
But if we're not all about the burn, "the best brand, the best fit, the proper seat, shaving off a few grams, the right sized tires,etc.," is all we've got left, apparently.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-27-11, 05:56 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Ok - so what IS "pain?"

Pain to me is the 5 kidney stones I passed in one year.

Pain to me is the extreme facial electrical jolts I get when my Trigeminal Neuralgia decides to once more be an involuntary part of my life. It is said to be the most excruciatingly painful human condition in the world.

Pain to me is when, for one year, I could not stand up straight because of the excruciating pain of my L4-L5 Spondylolisthesis.

Pain is when you son(s) are critically injured and there is nothing one can do about it.

Pain is NOT the feeling of exertion in climbing a tough hill or "pushing the envelope." To me, that is discomfort, controllable by me, and something that I can participate in or not. Simply having the choice to stop removes the "pain" from those activities.
Old 09-27-11, 06:01 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Now, that sounds like the "My pain is bigger than your pain!" concept!
Old 09-27-11, 06:06 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
You knew in advance that your post was inviting a sarcastic response, so I guess you are disappointed that the sarcasm has only been superficial. From the sounds of your original post, more visceral sarcasm might be more be to your taste, but that's served in the Road Forum, not here.

No more on this thread. I'm done feeding the troll.
+1

He did say he probably wouldn't make friends with his post and he was correct.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith

Last edited by Beverly; 09-27-11 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-27-11, 06:08 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Now, that sounds like the "My pain is bigger than your pain!" concept!
The OP originally stated:

"that they loose(sic) a big part of the bicycle experience. If you want to go faster or ride longer or improve hill performance then....BE PREPARED FOR PAIN." and

"my neck hurts!"

and

"every time I ride it's painful!"

It seems he is the one starting the "my pain is bigger than your pain" (or anyone's, for that matter). However, he does not define pain. In the realm of real life, the "pain" in bicycling efforts is really not a big deal, IMHO.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-27-11 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-27-11, 06:30 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I don't think OP sounds like a masochist, he was just talking about pushing his limits and feeling good with the fatigue afterwards. I normally ride at a fast cruise rate with my wife > around 15mph. It is good exercise but definitely not "training." Yesterday I went out by myself and did a few laps at Hains Point park (3 mile loop, low/no traffic). I was pushing it for me and hopped onto a faster group of about ten riders for the last lap (I rode far enough behind to not risk interfering but I still noticed a definite draft advantage). I was riding just under 20MPH, way faster than my normal pace. When I got home I felt the "pain" OP talked about and felt good about it. So I get the point. In fact, I am looking forward to doing it again. Heck, maybe I will buy a road bike to supplement my cyclocross. I'm retired now, I deserve an N+1 to compensate for all this pain.
Old 09-27-11, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Denv, you nailed it on what pain is. We all have plenty of pain without adding unnecessary pain. Discomfort will get you a long ways down the road without having to go all the way into the region of pain.

Raydog will probably get where he is going faster than me, so he can have the camp setup when I get there.
Old 09-27-11, 07:17 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
There is no pain. Pain is such a negative word. Negativity has no place in my cycling world.

What you may call pain I just think of as a different sensation. It's not better or worse than any other sensation, just different. When I climb there isn't more effort, only different effort.

May the force be with you.
You're just sensational.
Old 09-27-11, 07:18 AM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, Raydog, the only thing I do not like is the fact you are so far away. I would like to go on a series of rides with you. You get it.

I find it interesting how defensive people are if you do not fit their mold. Your statement was that you were not talking to the more casual riders from the beginning. However, if you do not "smell the roses" on each ride you are a bad rider in their opinion.

I do not find the smell of roses all that wonderful.

However, I do not criticize those that happen to like the thorny flower. Why do they criticize the riders that want to push their bodies on a ride?

If you get over this way, and think of it, bring your bike.
Old 09-27-11, 07:30 AM

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raydog
..., the pain is the result of intense self effort not an ill fitted bicycle ...
Or maybe the result of silly macho posturing. :-)

Neck pain has nothing to do with increasing strength or conditioning - it's just a way to get on a first name basis with your neurologist.

Quit the wacko chest beating routine and do some yoga.
Old 09-27-11, 07:33 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
While I'm not quite with the OP on all of this, he makes a good point about the overemphasis on comfort and convenience prevalent in society. Most of us who post here are more willing than most people to get off of our comfy furniture and step outside our air conditioned homes to exert some effort and sweat some to enjoy our passtime.

I won't go as far as to say no pain, no gain, but it does usually work out that anything worth achieving will require pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone. I enjoy smell the roses rides, but my greatest sense of accomplishment comes at the end of a century ride. While I have learned to ride a century without excrutiating pain, I have yet to ride one that didn't involve a bit of hurting. Well worth it imho.
Old 09-27-11, 07:45 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I tell all my friends that ride/race dirt bikes, the key 'technology' is you. Make you better and the bike will be better.
Old 09-27-11, 08:17 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can understand some of the OP's reasoning for embracing pain as part of riding because the results he desires are met. I really get the "post ride" feelings as I've been there many times. Frequently after a hard workout or indoor cycling session I'll feel a reverberation going through my body while sitting or lying in bed that is the result of the efforts expended. For me there are pains during the ride and discomforts during the rides. Limiting the pain is important, and accepting the discomforts is training. For several years my left ankle had 0% cartilage in it and riding hard was a very painful experience both during the ride and after depending on how much hammering I did. An ankle fusion surgery took care of that pain. Riding intervals up hills for X time @ X intensity really can bring on discomfort which is part of training, but if my knees are in pain during the interval I need need to adapt something to eliminate the pain.

Too many folks want to see black or white and not the shades in between. For instance, just because one’s neck gets sore does not mean that they cannot ride in the drops or look up the road. There can be fixes and adaptations to be able to look ahead without giving up and riding an upright bike or just taking the HTFU route and continue riding with pain.
Old 09-27-11, 08:44 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
No one should take this personally. I think pain is for fools. Im 73 ride approx 100 miles a week. While I do get a little leg burn on some hills, I am not really in pain. I ride either my bents a bike or a trike. Therefore all of the DF pain, butt, neck, hands, and arms do not apply. That leaves just the legs burning on hills.

BTW my mileage built my ability to pass many younger people on a recient club ride on hills. It also exploded the myth that bents dont climb. One guy was so impressed that he said he was going to check out a bent. He admitted that he had heard bents were only good for flats. Were the 20 year olds passing me, sure, but as I say the ave biker on our ride pretty much matched my speed but not much more.
Old 09-27-11, 08:45 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You must be kidding, maybe I didn't make myself clear, the pain is the result of intense self effort not an ill fitted bicycle. My point is we place too much effort on avoiding pain at the expense of conditioning improvement.
Riding a bike isn't just about conditioning improvement. Ironic how you rail against people missing the entire cycling "experience" while concentrating on only a small subset of the cycling experience. If you ain't having fun, you're doing it wrong and there is no right way to have fun.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-27-11, 08:49 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, I think the dozens of racers I train with
There's your problem...racing is only a subset of cycling. My 72 year old mother isn't into racing or pain...though sometimes she does want to get home from the store before one of her programs comes on TV.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-27-11, 08:55 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Ok - so what IS "pain?"
Pain is NOT the feeling of exertion in climbing a tough hill or "pushing the envelope."
What is the pain we're talking about? Sore legs, fatigue? Gasping for air?
Old 09-27-11, 09:09 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
You might pedal harder than the next guy, but if you can't bench press your own weight you're still a wuss!
Old 09-27-11, 09:48 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
You might pedal harder than the next guy, but if you can't bench press your own weight you're still a wuss!
Bam! +1 !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.