Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today? 2011 Edition.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today? 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warm, I would venture upper forties perhaps higher. A [ersistent rain soaked me from the waist down but overall a good ride in.

My rear pads worked like a charm. I think I'm losing the fear of tinkering with my bike...this could be dangerous.
Old 02-25-11, 07:48 AM
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
26f got about an inch or so of snow just about the right amount to have a nice beautiful ride in
Old 02-25-11, 08:15 AM

Bikes: 2013 Carve with Rigid Salsa Fargo & 2005 Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40F with a 16mph headwind the WHOLE way. Ready to work now!
Old 02-25-11, 08:59 AM

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcb23
I think I'm losing the fear of tinkering with my bike...this could be dangerous.
That's a good thing. If you want a little guidance in tinkering, check out Velocity coop on Union St in Old Town Alex. some weekend. Three or four workstands, volunteer mechanics on hand to help out... good guys. I've been meaning to volunteer there myself, but haven't been able to make it happen. Good guys there, though. I know several of them.

The ride in this morning was good. The rain had already tapered off for the most part, so I only had some puddles and sprinkles to contend with. Good day for fenders in any case. Short day - leaving mid-afternoon to attend to some personal business, so I'm looking fwd to riding in lighter conditions on the way home than I normally do, though I'll have to contend with the promised 60 mph wind gusts from the west. Should be a REAL good workout on the 14th St Bridge.
Old 02-25-11, 09:01 AM

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Siena

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FREAKING COLD!! It was 35 deg, and I just had a thin vest jersey, bike shorts and arm warmers. I did bust out the full fingered gloves though. I should have worn tights and sleeves. Despite the cold, I'm glad I didn't drive today.

Saw some new parts of town while trying out a new route. Even though I've lived in the area my whole life, it's amazing what you miss until you're on the bike.
Old 02-25-11, 09:16 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
10F, sheet of ice, I was ready to go, but the opportunity to work from home arose and I took it
Old 02-25-11, 09:16 AM
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, even after 5 years, I still got lulled by the recent warm weather and underdressed for the chill today. No foul, I'll just keep learning that lesson awhile longer, I guess.
Old 02-25-11, 09:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice surprise this morning, we were supposed to get 3-5" of snow, but only a light dusting fell. so, nice ride in. 30F with a bit of a headwind. this is becoming my favorite riding weather.
Old 02-25-11, 11:00 AM
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man, I've had a couple of those moments. But more often it's the cars just not paying any attention...it does shatter the zen of the ride.
It was definitely mostly about the car not paying attention -- to me or anyone else. But he couldn't catch her, so I was the target for wrath. My end analysis is that I shouldn't have to do anything differently, but in reality, here and now, I could have improved the situation by being more patient myself...
Old 02-25-11, 02:44 PM

Bikes: Velosport Appalache 15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My rear pads worked like a charm. I think I'm losing the fear of tinkering with my bike...this could be dangerous.
You'll be building a custom set of wheels for your bike in no time!

Yesterdays ride home was sunny and cold. 1C/34F for the ride, but great fun in the trails. A little too icy on a steep climb that I had to walk the last 10 ft.
Old 02-25-11, 05:20 PM

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeserday's ride home was through sunshine, to hail, to snow. Nothing but wet roads though and no real wind.

This morning started out at 20 degrees, to the bus stop to ride part way in due to cold (my hands cannot do it much below 30 even with good winterizing when there's a freezing breeze and lots of downhill action). On the way there, I realized that I wasn't going to get on the bus so much due to the cold, but the freaking ice everywhere. I had a several nervous moments when I realized I was riding on a frozen ice rink, coming up to an intersection on a downhill...missed my left turn and had to backtrack about 10'.

It's about 33 now so ride home should be ok...looks like freezing wind will be at my back and sunshine in my face.
Old 02-25-11, 08:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EKW in DC
That's a good thing. If you want a little guidance in tinkering, check out Velocity coop on Union St in Old Town Alex. some weekend. Three or four workstands, volunteer mechanics on hand to help out... good guys. I've been meaning to volunteer there myself, but haven't been able to make it happen. Good guys there, though. I know several of them.
Thanks for the tip, this is great.

Massive tailwind pushed me home. Was not fun putting my clammy damp gear back on but I made it.
Old 02-25-11, 09:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 days out of 5 for me this week. I got very lucky on Wednesday. It was drizzling - and though I was aware of the double-width reflective strip I was about to cross as I turned...it still took me down. Happened very quickly and I found myself sliding on asphalt. Not good - but I ended up with only a raspberry on my right hip and a cut on my left thumb.

I HTFU - and got back on my bike. Kind of made me feel like I was part of the Pro commuting peloton.
Old 02-27-11, 09:21 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 99 Posts
Blizzard conditions, ice, snow, a nasty headwind and a temperature of -18C / 0F this evening... I think six weeks in the PNW has weakened me to the point where I could be culled by feral cats.

Old 02-27-11, 10:01 PM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Last week was "reading week", so no university classes (or reading). The weather was awful and I couldn't bring myself to do any recreational riding. I went for a ride out to the university today and was disappointed to see how much damage 10 days off the bike can do to your conditioning. Between all the two commute weeks and time off, I'm starting to lose some ground in my effort to lose weight.

I got an HD GoPro 960 (the cheaper version) last week and rode with it on the handlebars today. Too much vibration having it mounted that way when riding on snow, which causes an odd vertical stretching / squishing. I'm going to try it out my my helmet tomorrow. The 960 doesn't have a helmet vent mount, so I undid the stitching on the regular helmet mount, removed the longer strap and repositioned the shorter one to go through vent holes.

Then I need to look at some way of editing video, since Virtualdub doesn't like the format.
Old 02-27-11, 10:17 PM
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Blizzard conditions, ice, snow, a nasty headwind and a temperature of -18C / 0F this evening... I think six weeks in the PNW has weakened me to the point where I could be culled by feral cats.

did you laugh at what we call "snow" ?

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 02-27-11, 10:30 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jdgesus
did you laugh at what we call "snow" ?
When I left pdx on Thursday an inch of snow had closed the schools... we went for a nice bike ride to grab a few last minute things and saw that the buses had chains and heard that people were getting a few hours grace to get to work.

In downtown pdx we saw shops that had signs that said they had closed early because of the weather.

But I do understand that when one lives in a place where it rarely freezes or gets snow and where the city has no means of dealing with it that it can be hard for those who have never seen weather like this.

The Girl is from Detroit and even she thought that folks were over reacting just a little.
Old 02-28-11, 05:28 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Friday was wonderful! No ride Saturday, worked on the shop. Nice 20 miles Sunday. Today is done, Sever thunderstorms supose to hit today.
Old 02-28-11, 08:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride in, just a sprinkle of rain and temps well above 40.

The big test is coming, forecast for severe thunderstroms on the way home today. I have my boots and my raingear ready to go.
Old 02-28-11, 08:11 AM
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
38f Im getting sick of this seesaw weather, supposed to rain most the week, but dry so far today
Old 02-28-11, 08:24 AM

Bikes: 2013 Carve with Rigid Salsa Fargo & 2005 Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
25mph headwinds. Get to leave early today to close on the new house. Weather.com says I'll have a 17mph tailwind. Can't wait!
Old 02-28-11, 08:55 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Warm but very windy today, and I had headwinds most of the way to work. Forecasts are calling for gusts over 40 mph this afternoon, which should make for an interesting ride home.
Old 02-28-11, 09:32 AM

Bikes: Velosport Appalache 15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday was another snow day in Vancouver. The main roads were clear, but the side streets were a mix of ice and frozen crusty snow. I left the house with the intention of riding my long route, but a couple of minutes made me realize that all those side streets would cost too much time getting me to work late. Showed up at work a half hour early today. I'm hoping it really rains today to clear up the roads for the ride home. My wife let me commute 5 days this week, but I have to be home in time to pick up our son at 5.
Old 02-28-11, 09:35 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.2, 2006 Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
windy, but mild - looking forward to warmer temps . . maybe winter has breathed her last gasp for the year?
Old 02-28-11, 09:47 AM

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gnarly ride home on Friday. Waves on the Potomac and the Tidal Basin as large as some I've seen in the ocean before. Guess that's what 60 mph wind gusts do. Had to walk my bike across 14th St Bridge the wind was so strong. I was not alone. Another cyclist in front of me had elected the same strategy. Things seemed to be going smoothly enough until I got near the airport. The NPS (presumably) has put up some temporary plast fencing of this variety at Gravelly Point. It blew loose at the bottom in a gust of wind such that the fencing material was closer to perpendicular with the posts/parallel with the ground than it was to its intended vertical orientation. Even though I was riding in the middle of the MUP away from the edge and this fence in case of just this happening, it wasn't far away enough apparently. The fencing got tangled up with something on my handlebars, jerked the wheel hard right and off I went on my left side. First time I've fallen from a bike probably since I was less than ten years old... so in at least 25 years or so.

It all happened before I even knew what was going on. Managed to get a pretty nasty cut on my left knee, some road rash on my shin and an abrasion on my left elbow. Otherwise pretty much unscathed, and the bike was almost no worse for wear at all aside from the foam padding on the handlebar getting worn down and torn a bit... another benefit of butterfly trekking bars, I suppose. The way I have mine set up the brake levers and shifters are all inside the figure eight shape of the handlebars and they weren't so much as scratched when the bike and I went down on our left side.

Still scabbed and elbow slightly bruised, but feeling pretty much back to 100% today otherwise. Enjoyed a warm, tailwind-aided morning commute today. Storms, rain, possible tornadoes predicted for this afternoon. Should be another interesting ride home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.