Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-14, 07:26 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7412 Post(s)
Liked 2,612 Times in 1,523 Posts
I've owned some high end bikes, and they do ride better than the Super Course, but considering that the Super Course was a mid level model, it's pretty darned impressive. It feels lighter than it is. It always gives me a smile. You will love the Panaracer Pasela tires. On my Super Course, they sing!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-27-14, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac (carbon), Specialized Roubaix (carbon, wifey), Raleigh Super Course (my favorite), and 2 Centurion project bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry for the cross-posting, but I'm very close to getting my 1984 SC sorted . . . would appreciate this group's advice on a couple of remaining challenges:

1. Those downtube shifters. The RD only operates if I crank that retaining screw to the max . . . which the PO had done to the point of cracking the plastic spacer underneath it. I'm still looking for a way to replace those OEM originals with something that works. A source for a new shifter wouldb be much appreciated and meantime, I'll start looking at it carefully to see what people mean when they state "proprietary shifters." I converted my Nishiki from stem shifters to downtube Suntour Power shifters without any problems but am told I may have a problem with this bike. I need to know why.

2. Brake pads. I like the new look of the originals, but need a source for replacement pads. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4 - front brake.jpg (39.8 KB, 155 views)
shifters - broken plastic.jpg (94.6 KB, 149 views)
Old 05-27-14, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
YES! I had the same question!
Duane, that's a gorgeous '84!
Bikedued, I'm making the same offer.

You wouldn't like it now. It has Pasela's and tan cork on the bars.,,,,BD
Old 05-27-14, 11:39 AM

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by Duane Behrens
1. Those downtube shifters. The RD only operates if I crank that retaining screw to the max . . . which the PO had done to the point of cracking the plastic spacer underneath it. I'm still looking for a way to replace those OEM originals with something that works. A source for a new shifter wouldb be much appreciated and meantime, I'll start looking at it carefully to see what people mean when they state "proprietary shifters." I converted my Nishiki from stem shifters to downtube Suntour Power shifters without any problems but am told I may have a problem with this bike. I need to know why.
The brazed on Shimano shifter bosses were only used for a few years and are not compatible with most other DT shifters that require a braze on. Lots more info here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...er-bosses.html

Suntour power shifters on a clamp-on band would work fine, as long as you don't mind clamping them just above the current bosses. If it were me, I would go to bar-end shifters, and modify a pair of these to go over the bosses:
Dajia Cycleworks Downtube Cable Stops w/ Adjuster - Small Parts - Shifting - Components
Old 05-27-14, 03:12 PM
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
You wouldn't like it now. It has Pasela's and tan cork on the bars.,,,,BD
Ew.
Dued you should save your eyes & just chuck that ugly thing in my direction.
Be done with it like Chrome Molly did.

Last edited by Hudson308; 05-27-14 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-06-14, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Quoted: 3856 Post(s)
Liked 6,985 Times in 2,684 Posts

Old 06-17-14, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Quoted: 3856 Post(s)
Liked 6,985 Times in 2,684 Posts
And now built up with a 5-speed Sturmey Archer hub, bar-end shifter, TA 3-pin crankset. It'll eventually get fenders and lights (it has a front dynohub).

Old 06-17-14, 03:17 PM

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is mine I just purchased earlier this month after being out of the game for a few years, I am eager to get riding as well as some upgrades. While I didn't get a killer deal I think I did okay.

Old 06-17-14, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
Got this Super Course and looking for opinions on what to do with it. When I bought it the bike was dirty and dusty from long storage. The story goes that the org owner used it for a back up bike on Ragbrai for a couple years and never needed so it rode on top of a car for several trips across Iowa but not ridden. So when I first saw it my intention was to strip the paint and have an all chrome SC.

I got it home and gave it a bath and found it to be almost mint, as in brand new. Now I am not sure about this paint stripping idea because the org finish and decals are much too nice to scrape away, maybe. Chrome is amazing with no haze, rust or pitting, paint is shiny and bright, components are like new - except for tires and bar tape which I replaced.

Sell, strip, keep it original or?

Pictures are large so click on them for more detail
Attached Images
r6.jpg (87.2 KB, 164 views)
r5.jpg (90.6 KB, 171 views)
r4.jpg (79.5 KB, 168 views)
r3.jpg (62.9 KB, 162 views)
r2.jpg (85.3 KB, 167 views)
r1.jpg (98.9 KB, 178 views)
Old 06-17-14, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
Just my opinion but I wouldn't strip it, it looks to nice to do that in it's present condition.
If it fits you and you like the ride keep it and ride the begeebers out of it.
If you decide to keep it make sure you do some routine lube and maintenance on it before you put too many miles on it
If it doesn't fit you, list it and sell it, but it looks awesome and worth some road time.
Old 06-18-14, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by teisco
.....when I first saw it my intention was to strip the paint and have an all chrome SC. ....
Many have stripped their painted bikes expecting to see see bright polished chrome underneath only to find that the chrome is dull and discolored.
(Even BITD, most manufacturers knew paint sticks better to unpolished chrome).
Old 06-18-14, 06:19 AM
Mr. Anachronism

Originally Posted by auchencrow
Many have stripped their painted bikes expecting to see see bright polished chrome underneath only to find that the chrome is dull and discolored.
(Even BITD, most manufacturers knew paint sticks better to unpolished chrome).
Many of the painted chrome bike frames/forks I've stripped for refinishing didn't have the areas to be painted polished smooth under the chrome plating. The chrome in those areas is rough, to allow paint adhesion as you said. Others had the chrome plating sanded and/or ground to allow the paint to stick to the chrome.
Old 06-18-14, 10:18 AM
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Keep it original. Ride the heck out of it. That thing is be-yoo-tiful.
Old 06-18-14, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Don't strip an SC from that era unless you have a LOT of spare time. The chrome looks okay underneath, but the effort to strip them nearly outweighs the results. They must have used etching primer. Getting it completely off took me about three weeks of my spare time. It's not the normal painted chrome frame that put stripper on, and the paint comes off with a water hose. It holds on for dear life, and only gets slightly softened. I finally ended up scraping it off with a razor blade(gasp!!!),,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 06-18-14 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-18-14, 11:55 AM

I will not strip it, but soon will decide to keep or sell.
Old 06-18-14, 02:25 PM
Mr. Anachronism

I will not strip it, but soon will decide to keep or sell.
What area/city are you located in?
Old 06-18-14, 02:45 PM

Located in Iowa near Cedar Rapids.
Old 06-24-14, 09:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got this Super Course and looking for opinions on what to do with it. When I bought it the bike was dirty and dusty from long storage. The story goes that the org owner used it for a back up bike on Ragbrai for a couple years and never needed so it rode on top of a car for several trips across Iowa but not ridden. So when I first saw it my intention was to strip the paint and have an all chrome SC.

I got it home and gave it a bath and found it to be almost mint, as in brand new. Now I am not sure about this paint stripping idea because the org finish and decals are much too nice to scrape away, maybe. Chrome is amazing with no haze, rust or pitting, paint is shiny and bright, components are like new - except for tires and bar tape which I replaced.

Sell, strip, keep it original or?
Sweet bike! I'd leave it as is, like you said it's almost mint. Love the yellow hoods on yellow tape too.
Old 06-25-14, 07:27 AM

Funny thing is I wanted white hoods and wrap but the local bike shop only had black. He then got some dusty yellow ones out of the back room and said they were older and no one wanted them so he would sell them for five bucks - at first I said "yellow?" but took them anyway and so now it has the yellow hoods and wrap. I never considered yellow but it turned out ok.
Old 06-25-14, 10:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1971 Super Course

Presenting a 1971 Super Course that's pretty much all original. I bought a new one just like it (same size, color and components) from Smith Bicycle Shop in Berkley, MI for about $115 in the summer of 1971. Reynolds, Nervex, Brooks, Weinmann, Huret, Stronglight, GB, Normandy and Huchinson brand names meant nothing to me then but I soon got hooked on bikes and riding. I sold the SC after a couple years and bought an all-Campy Italian bike. Of the 17 bikes I've owned since age 15, that first one, the coffee Raleigh Super Course, is the one that brings the fondest memories. It's great to find one on craigslist. Except for the primative derailleurs, it's still a sweet ride.
Attached Images
raleigh.jpg (94.6 KB, 477 views)
Old 06-26-14, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Supercourse71
Presenting a 1971 Super Course that's pretty much all original......
Nice snag there SC71, it appears to be in excellent shape - and what a marvelous first post. Welcome to C&V!

PS- If you going to ride it like that, you should confirm that there are at least a couple inches of post seated in that seat tube, or invest in a longer post.
Old 06-26-14, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GrayIS
Thank you for the help.
Can any identify the pedal. Came with one dustcap missing and I would like to replace it. Here are updated pics.
Attached Images
Pedal.jpg (87.1 KB, 268 views)
RaleighSCPedal1.jpg (87.7 KB, 266 views)
Pedal2.jpg (91.5 KB, 267 views)
Old 06-26-14, 10:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Auchen. My used SC was purchased new in Monterey, CA and stayed there and in San Francisco with the previous two owners. Aside from being a California bike, it wasn't ridden hard and must have been kept indoors or at least garaged. A Les Joselyn Bicycles decal is on the seat tube. The shop was opened in the late 1940s by two brothers from England and remained in business at the same Lighthouse Ave. location before closing about two years ago. I switched out the original short steel seatpost for an 300mm alloy one. I hope to find some gumwall tires and a better Brooks saddle. The leather on the oid B-15 pictured is almost petrified. I rode my first century ride, sponsored by the LAW, on my original SC from Detroit-Flint-Detroit in Sept. 1971(a healthy baby boy named Lance Gunderson was born in Texas the same day!) Anyway, I hope to repeat that distance on this bike in 2021 for the 50th anniversary.
Old 06-27-14, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Supercourse71
Thanks, Auchen. My used SC was purchased new in Monterey, CA and stayed there and in San Francisco with the previous two owners. Aside from being a California bike, it wasn't ridden hard and must have been kept indoors or at least garaged. A Les Joselyn Bicycles decal is on the seat tube. The shop was opened in the late 1940s by two brothers from England and remained in business at the same Lighthouse Ave. location before closing about two years ago. I switched out the original short steel seatpost for an 300mm alloy one. I hope to find some gumwall tires and a better Brooks saddle. The leather on the oid B-15 pictured is almost petrified. I rode my first century ride, sponsored by the LAW, on my original SC from Detroit-Flint-Detroit in Sept. 1971(a healthy baby boy named Lance Gunderson was born in Texas the same day!) Anyway, I hope to repeat that distance on this bike in 2021 for the 50th anniversary.
That's awesome, SC71!

You will find the most popular tan-wall tire around here is the Panaracer Pasela. These are very good riding/handling tires, but still they are not expensive. They are available in 27" also, and in a variety of widths. Personally I like the 1-1/8" version for all around use.
Old 07-12-14, 11:27 AM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Picked up this Super Course MK II at salvation army for $ 50 USD. I can't wait to start riding it!
Attached Images
image (8).jpg (71.1 KB, 728 views)

Last edited by crazyskillz07; 07-12-14 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Added image.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.