Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton - CHPT3 vs. Black Lacquer

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton - CHPT3 vs. Black Lacquer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 06:09 PM

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Liked 93 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by odiolalluvia
I don't know why anyone would want to fuss with USB lights.
I don't believe you don't know the answer to this. This thread started as a roadie picking out a Brompton, then somehow we got sidetracked into lighting. So I surmised that if he cared at all about lights (which he never mentioned), he would probably appreciate lightweight USB pieces that are only on the bike when he needs them. And there in lies your answer: Weight. I love my Shimano dynohub with B&M Eye Tec on my Rivendell, but I wouldn't want to lug that stuff around on a folding bike I'll be carrying a lot. For that application, USB is better. You're welcome.
Old 03-02-18, 06:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Weight. I love my Shimano dynohub with B&M Eye Tec on my Rivendell, but I wouldn't want to lug that stuff around on a folding bike I'll be carrying a lot. For that application, USB is better. You're welcome.
No doubt. Those Shimano hubs are heavy af. The SP hub is a way better way to go. So much lighter weight.
Old 03-02-18, 06:38 PM

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Liked 93 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
This is why I rarely post anything nowadays, as the members tend to derail the threads with their own trivial bologna. Ask a question, get nonsensical off topic answers. Ask about Brompton choices, and wind up with debates over lighting that you really couldn't care less about. Ask about inexpensive folders, get recommend a $3000 folder, and also get told that you didn't respect their responses because you're not willing to put a few extra bucks into it.
I try to come here occasionally and actually help a commenter with the thing they actually asked about. I don't know why this concept is so hard for some people to follow.
Old 03-02-18, 06:53 PM
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Liked 896 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I try to come here occasionally and actually help a commenter with the thing they actually asked about. I don't know why this concept is so hard for some people to follow.
Exactly,....this is why I rarely even contribute to making recommendations. I often have answers, but the constant bickering and derailing makes me realize it's best to remain silent. I believe quite a few other members do the same,...it's a shame really. The sense of community is slowly getting destroyed.
Old 03-02-18, 11:46 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would think advising someone not to buy a certain feature was fair enough when choosing between different models.
Old 03-03-18, 05:38 AM

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon, Tern, Birdy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
lol ... Just saw the thread.... I have both of them, chpt3 6spd and Black Lacquer 2spd. Bought last year from Thanksgiving sale with 15% off and free shipping.

I live in bay area. When I go to San Francisco, I used to ride my Titanium Ni edition 6 speed but now I just ride my 2 speed Ti Brompton. (12T/17T) The bike is about 8kg so it is easier for me to carry around the bart stations and cycling up hills in San Francisco.

BTW, I like the Brompton grips because of lightweight. However, I replaced them with Ergon Brooks grips because they caused my hand numbness.

Last edited by Brompton_X; 03-10-18 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-03-18, 08:28 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You own 7 Bromptons? That's impressive! I own one and a clone, and feel pretty small now
Old 03-03-18, 09:32 AM

Liked 738 Times in 303 Posts
Very cool... I'm thinking of the Brooks grips too. I have a B17 narrow saddle in black and they would match perfectly. Now I just need to decide whether I even want to put the Brooks saddle on there (weighs over 500 grams). It's either that or throw on a Fabric saddle (also a UK brand) that weighs closer to 230 grams...

Originally Posted by Brompton_X
lol ... Just saw the thread.... I have both of them, chpt3 6spd and Black Lacquer 2spd. Bought last year from Thanksgiving sale with 15% off and free shipping.

I live in bay area. When I go to San Francisco, I used to ride my Titanium Ni edition 6 speed but now I just ride my 2 speed Ti Brompton. (12T/17T) The bike is about 8kg so it is easier for me to carry around the bart stations and cycling up hills in San Francisco.

BTW, I like the Brompton grips because of lightweight. However, I replaced them with Ergon Brooks grips because they caused my hand numbness.
Here is the picture of my Black Raw Laquer 2 speed. My chpt3 is on the shelf.
Old 03-03-18, 10:44 AM

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts

Here is the picture of my Black Raw Laquer 2 speed. My chpt3 is on the shelf.
You cycle SF hills on a 2 speed???? Okay, you are now my HERO! Damn, you must be strong. I've got an 8 speed Bike Friday pakiT and I struggle on anything in the City over around 10 degrees.
Old 03-03-18, 05:32 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
You own 7 Bromptons? That's impressive! I own one and a clone, and feel pretty small now
Actually 18. There are 10 Bromptons from that picture I post.
Old 03-03-18, 05:47 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Very cool... I'm thinking of the Brooks grips too. I have a B17 narrow saddle in black and they would match perfectly. Now I just need to decide whether I even want to put the Brooks saddle on there (weighs over 500 grams). It's either that or throw on a Fabric saddle (also a UK brand) that weighs closer to 230 grams...
well, Brooks C13 carbon carved weight is about 290g but that's not something I'd recommend because you need a new seatpost or at least different pentaclip for carbon saddle rail. Cost about $30 for the part you can find on ebay. Fabric is a very good brand. I like their saddles.
Old 03-03-18, 05:53 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
You cycle SF hills on a 2 speed???? Okay, you are now my HERO! Damn, you must be strong. I've got an 8 speed Bike Friday pakiT and I struggle on anything in the City over around 10 degrees.
Cycling in San Francisco is very challenging to me. I even modified one of my my Brompton from 2 speed to 4 speed (11T/13T/17T/21T) because of the steepest hills in San Francisco.

Last edited by Brompton_X; 03-10-18 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-03-18, 11:30 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Actually 18. There are 10 Bromptons from that picture I post.
Holy cow!!
Old 03-03-18, 11:31 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
My hero as well!!
Old 03-04-18, 04:59 AM

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling in San Francisco is very challenging to me. I even modified one of my my Brompton from 2 speed to 4 speed (11T/13T/17T/21T) because of the steepest hills in San Francisco.
That's a mod I'd not heard of before; would you mind giving details of it in a dedicated thread?
Old 03-04-18, 07:10 AM

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by chagzuki
That's a mod I'd not heard of before; would you mind giving details of it in a dedicated thread?
You can get a kit from Brombacher:
Brombacher " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Brombacher " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post
(for whatever reason the link to their Facebook-profile where they offer it get's eaten by the forum for me).
Old 03-04-18, 07:35 AM
Schwinnasaur

Liked 200 Times in 133 Posts
Saw this, it is 3 speed Sprocket Assy for Brompton External 3-Speed Using 11s cogs - Brombacher
Old 03-04-18, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
No, this is 3-speed, we are talking about 4 speed via derailleur.
Old 03-04-18, 12:46 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
the BWR hub driver uses a 9 spline cog, Shimano pattern*, the BSR is still using the old AW3 cog..

Mk3 they went to Sachs, there the 3 by 2 used a thinner 2mm cog, 13t , and a 15t that skipped 3 teeth as shift gates..
did not change the 3 spline interface, just made it wider.. to fit 2..

I've been using a 15t on my Brompton BSR from that parts spares, for years..

* perhaps he crammed on a 4th cog on the BWR Driver.. I guess, There is some serious money in SF

Fremont is where the Tesla Car factory is.. ..

people can make things..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-04-18 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Mk3 they went to Sachs, there the 3 by 2 used a thinner 2mm cog, 13t , and a 15t that skipped 3 teeth as shift gates..
did not change the 3 spline interface, just made it wider.. to fit 2..
They did not make anything wider. I had the same upgrade on a Sachs-3-speed back in the 80ies and is was an official upgrade for retrofit from Sachs at that time. You can do this with any Sachs 3-speed-hub, possibly since the 70ies.
Old 03-04-18, 01:26 PM
Banned

Any how Sachs was who Brompton went to when no SA 5 speeds were available to them any more.. AFAIK..

the 15t , 12 full teeth, works with my 3/32 wide Whipperman full bushing chain..
Old 03-05-18, 03:02 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chagzuki
I ordered my 4 speed kit from Korea. You can find the info by searching Brombacher_Brompton 4 speed on google. It is on their Facebook page.

Old 03-05-18, 04:31 PM
Banned

Hub still under 120 mm wide?
Old 03-08-18, 09:16 AM

Liked 738 Times in 303 Posts
OP here... Still waiting for the bike to arrive at the shop... Debating whether I should just go ahead and upgrade the steel headset from the get-go. Thinking of having the shop order a Chris King black sotto voce one (would match nicely with the black lacquer/black edition). Anyone done this? Worth the money? Or is it just Chris Bling?!? Thanks.
Old 03-08-18, 12:20 PM

Liked 107 Times in 80 Posts
I would ride the bike first. The headset can be changed at anytime in the futrue. Of course if the $$$ are burning a hole in your pocket go right ahead. Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.