Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Cult of CAAD...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Cult of CAAD...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-18, 07:53 PM

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2015
Old 07-29-18, 07:14 PM

Bikes: 97 C-Dale Silk Road 500, 2011 C-Dale CAAD 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire info please? How much space did it leave?
Old 07-29-18, 08:04 PM
Typical MAMIL

Bikes: 2011 CAAD-10, 2017 Evo HiMod Team Di2, 2018 Quick 5 Disc

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2011 CAAD-10-5. When I bought it, I had gotten back into cycling and being a tech...when I had left cycling, carbon was still pretty scary and I wasn't ready to bite that bullet yet. Put a lot of miles on this and still have it, but she is in storage these days as we can only fit 4 bikes in the condo haha. It only comes out for Cat6 racing ( ) as I don't want to risk the carbon.

Upgrades included Ultegra brakes, 25mm Mavic Ksyrium Elites, and a Red carbon crank. Managed to get the weight down to 17.6 with cages and pedals, not too bad for an aluminum frame bike. Photo was taken before some changes.

​​​​​

Last edited by Vegasclimber; 07-29-18 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-29-18, 09:50 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I had a chance to trade an old (although very nice) steel Trek for a 20 year old CAAD 2. And I jumped at the chance.

Old 08-05-18, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like a brand new CAAD 12 frame
Old 08-05-18, 08:22 PM

Bikes: CAAD10

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegasclimber
My 2011 CAAD-10-5. When I bought it, I had gotten back into cycling and being a tech...when I had left cycling, carbon was still pretty scary and I wasn't ready to bite that bullet yet. Put a lot of miles on this and still have it, but she is in storage these days as we can only fit 4 bikes in the condo haha. It only comes out for Cat6 racing ( ) as I don't want to risk the carbon.

Upgrades included Ultegra brakes, 25mm Mavic Ksyrium Elites, and a Red carbon crank. Managed to get the weight down to 17.6 with cages and pedals, not too bad for an aluminum frame bike. Photo was taken before some changes.

​​​​​
Those white hubs look cool.
Old 08-06-18, 04:31 AM

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dusty Nickle
Tire info please? How much space did it leave?
GP4000SII, they didn't leave much room at all, sorry I didn't measure. I went back to 25mm
Old 10-07-18, 10:34 PM

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Just took delivery of a 2019 CAAD12 Ultegra with rim brakes. Loving the bike so far, but the ride can be a bit harsh over rough pavement. The bike came with Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick in size 25c on Fulcrum Racing Sport 15c rims. Does anyone know about this rim and tire combination as far as ride quality is concerned?

Also, how wide a tire will actually fit on this bike? Will Continental 4000sii in size 28c fit, even though they're actually a little wider than 28?

Thank you,

Last edited by Robert A; 10-07-18 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-07-18, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
Just took delivery of a 2019 CAAD12 Ultegra with rim brakes. Loving the bike so far, but the ride can be a bit harsh over rough pavement. The bike came with Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick in size 25c on Fulcrum Racing Sport 15c rims. Does anyone know about this rim and tire combination as far as ride quality is concerned?

Also, how wide a tire will actually fit on this bike? Will Continental 4000sii in size 28c fit, even though they're actually a little wider than 28?

Thank you,
I just put 28's on my 2016 Caad12 Ultegra and there is some rubbing but the ride is amazing. I have 28's in the back and 23's up front.
Old 10-08-18, 12:40 AM

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Weren't the Ultegra brake calipers updated after your bike was produced to accept wider tires?
Originally Posted by thenewjs
I just put 28's on my 2016 Caad12 Ultegra and there is some rubbing but the ride is amazing. I have 28's in the back and 23's up front.

Last edited by Robert A; 10-08-18 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-08-18, 08:59 AM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
Weren't the Ultegra brake calipers updated after your bike was produced to accept wider tires?
Im not sure, but if true I will upgrade! I'm not going back to 25's!
Old 10-23-18, 12:45 PM

Bikes: 1985 Shogun 500, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Nishiki Prestige, 19?? Nishiki Saga, Cannondale CAAD 7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loving the look of some of the older CAADs in this thread!! Been trolling through for a while but so many colors I've never seen before. Wondering if anyone has a anything CAAD 4+ in 56cm that they're looking to let go of. I currently have a R2000 CAAD 4 in Team Blue that is a smidge big. So I'm looking for a frame for the components to live on. Let me know, and apologies/feel free to delete if this is not a good spot to post this. I've seen a couple on Ebay but figured CAAD folk would have the low down. Thanks!

Last edited by l8r_g8r; 10-23-18 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 04:30 PM
Sage Member

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

(Bow bow) Oh yeah (Chick chicka chicka)
(Doo, bow bow) Oh yeah (Chick chicka chicka)
(Bow bow) Oh yeah (Chick chicka chicka)...
Old 10-28-18, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got new rims for my CAAD12 this weekend

My local bike shop finished up building my new rims up, now the CAAD12 us using HED. Belgium plus rims with BHS hubs. I originally had the crappy Maddux 2.0 disc wheels, the difference between the two is night and day. The rolls faster thanks to the sealed bearing hubs and corners much more confidently than with the older OEM wheels. Money well spent in my opinion.
Old 10-29-18, 12:51 AM
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 2,037 Times in 991 Posts
I picked up a 2015 CAAD10 Black Inc. Disc back in April (feels like February or March it's been so long) when it was, naturally, still cold and wet. I may be in my 30s, but I come from restoring and building many a C&V steed, vintage Cannondales included. Black Inc. seems to me to be the second coming of the "Black Lightning" black/gold color scheme, just spread to more models. I really freaking dig it. I was looking at going to a disc bike for my next build to expand my horizons and see what the fuss was about, especially with regard to braking performance in the rain, which, as anyone who commutes year round in the northern states/rainy areas can tell you, braking in the rain is no fun. Add in the steep hills and busy city traffic in and around Seattle, and it's critical to be able to haul yourself down in a hurry, with confidence.

Well, I figured 11-speed would be part of the deal, and it was. Along with internal cable routing, hydraulic disc (on top of just a "disc brake" criteria), and BB30. The learning curve looked more like a cliff to climb! This was especially true as I would be doing all the research and leg work to figure out, source, purchase (used components only, minus tubes, chain), and build the bike. And well, after many months, including a brief summer hiatus as I worked to obtain the correct brake calipers (mountain bike style 74mm center-to-center, M6 bolt interface **post mount** BR-RS785, NO banjo bolt), I was able to sell other bike parts and fully fund this build. The goal was to fund it and have an a la carte build for a fraction of a full-zoot Sram Red 22 Hydro Disc CAAD10 Black. Mission accomplished on all fronts, even if I did take the bike to a good shop to hook up, fill, and bleed the hydraulic brake lines. I did the final assembly and bedding-in of the brake pads+rotors. This brace of modern tech (on top of plenty of 7/8/9/10-speed build experience prior) was daunting and with a good bit of money and time into it, a little intimidating.

Thankfully, the bedding in went well (I followed the directions), though certainly very interesting to have to do! The following test ride (a 3.7 mile loop) went very well. This CAAD is certainly a 'platform' in that it is very stable and sweeps and surges upon intentional steering and out-of-the-saddle acceleration/climbing efforts. Due to the low-cut steerer, my saddle-to-bar height drop is the most extreme of all my rides, but it looks great and is comfortable. This is a bike you can ride for a long time, and although it is the start of eternal rain up here, I still want to get it out every chance I can. Such a great bike!!

2015 Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc. Disc - 63cm

HT: 73.5° ST: 72.0°
Weight as pictured ~19.2 lb with SPD (mountain type, not very light) pedals as I commute and enjoy walking around normally.
Shimano Ultegra or Ultegra level - 6800 generation -
Shimano ST-RS685 11-speed hydraulic brake/shift units
Crankset: Ultegra 175mm length, mid-compact 52-36T
Cassette: 11s 11-28T Ultegra with Ultegra FD and RD (long cage)
DT Swiss Spline 23 wheelset with centerlock disc mounts, Schwalbe One 700x28mm tires
BR-RS785 brake calipers - post mount (mountain bike standard - 74.02mm +/- spacing, M6 bolt)
Shimano ST-99 discs (Ice Tech with Freeza) 160mm F, 140mm R - front adapter: Shimano SM-MA-F180P/P2 (a 20mm spacer for going from 160mm to 180mm calipers, but works properly here)
PRO stem 105mm - Giant Contact SL compact bars 42cm CTC
Zipp seat post, Fizik Aliante Large (155mm width) saddle, Specialized Ribcage bottle cages (bought new years ago).

So. Hot.

Old 10-29-18, 07:26 AM

Bikes: CAAD10

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I picked up a 2015 CAAD10 Black Inc. Disc back in April (feels like February or March it's been so long) when it was, naturally, still cold and wet. I may be in my 30s, but I come from restoring and building many a C&V steed, vintage Cannondales included. Black Inc. seems to me to be the second coming of the "Black Lightning" black/gold color scheme, just spread to more models. I really freaking dig it. I was looking at going to a disc bike for my next build to expand my horizons and see what the fuss was about, especially with regard to braking performance in the rain, which, as anyone who commutes year round in the northern states/rainy areas can tell you, braking in the rain is no fun. Add in the steep hills and busy city traffic in and around Seattle, and it's critical to be able to haul yourself down in a hurry, with confidence.

Well, I figured 11-speed would be part of the deal, and it was. Along with internal cable routing, hydraulic disc (on top of just a "disc brake" criteria), and BB30. The learning curve looked more like a cliff to climb! This was especially true as I would be doing all the research and leg work to figure out, source, purchase (used components only, minus tubes, chain), and build the bike. And well, after many months, including a brief summer hiatus as I worked to obtain the correct brake calipers (mountain bike style 74mm center-to-center, M6 bolt interface **post mount** BR-RS785, NO banjo bolt), I was able to sell other bike parts and fully fund this build. The goal was to fund it and have an a la carte build for a fraction of a full-zoot Sram Red 22 Hydro Disc CAAD10 Black. Mission accomplished on all fronts, even if I did take the bike to a good shop to hook up, fill, and bleed the hydraulic brake lines. I did the final assembly and bedding-in of the brake pads+rotors. This brace of modern tech (on top of plenty of 7/8/9/10-speed build experience prior) was daunting and with a good bit of money and time into it, a little intimidating.

Thankfully, the bedding in went well (I followed the directions), though certainly very interesting to have to do! The following test ride (a 3.7 mile loop) went very well. This CAAD is certainly a 'platform' in that it is very stable and sweeps and surges upon intentional steering and out-of-the-saddle acceleration/climbing efforts. Due to the low-cut steerer, my saddle-to-bar height drop is the most extreme of all my rides, but it looks great and is comfortable. This is a bike you can ride for a long time, and although it is the start of eternal rain up here, I still want to get it out every chance I can. Such a great bike!!

Weight as pictured ~19.2 lb with SPD (mountain type, not very light) pedals as I commute and enjoy walking around normally.
DT Swiss Spline 23 wheelset with centerlock disc mounts, Schwalbe One 700x28mm tires
BR-RS785 brake calipers - post mount (mountain bike standard - 74.02mm +/- spacing, M6 bolt)
Shimano ST-99 discs (Ice Tech with Freeza) 160mm F, 140mm R - front adapter: Shimano SM-MA-F180P/P2 (a 20mm spacer for going from 160mm to 180mm calipers, but works properly here)
Zipp seat post, Fizik Aliante Large (155mm width) saddle, Specialized Ribcage bottle cages (bought new years ago).

So. Hot.
WOW! Nice bike!
Old 10-29-18, 10:04 AM
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Originally Posted by arizonamed

WOW! Nice bike!
Thank you!
Old 10-29-18, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
price independent, that is one of my favorite bikes of all time
never tried the disc, but caliper brake. disc looks great.

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel

So. Hot.

Old 10-30-18, 01:27 PM
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by cruiserhead
price independent, that is one of my favorite bikes of all time
never tried the disc, but caliper brake. disc looks great.
Thanks! The rain has been bracketing (rather aggressively) the dry days and thus "dry [no fenders] bike" riding time, but I was able to get out last night after having taken the rain bike for the morning's wet commute. The thing just goes, and the 11 speed cassette allows so much fine tuning of cadence depending on the road pitch and/or wind. It's certainly not as intense in demeanor as an Emonda ALR as that is a great super light climber, but it's still plenty sharp and stable as last night's ride bore out (getting to know it more). Another solid week of rain for now and then freedom!
Old 12-17-18, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The day after this picture was taken, so was the bike.

I'm gonna miss this great bike.
Old 12-20-18, 01:27 AM

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
New (used) bicycle day!

I search through Craigslist EVERY day.... most days twice or more. Always looking for a bike that can use a little fixing up or is otherwise a great buy. A bike I'd enjoy.... not just wrenching on... but also owning riding. I found a 2015 CAAD 10, 105. In perfect condition (owner said 21 mile, and I believe him). I changed the pedals out to the brand/style I use, adjusted the saddle, and have (since the pic below) changed the water bottle cage and removed wheel reflectors. It rides great. I could see this bike replace my daily rider (and I love my daily rider).

CAAD10
6 months on, and are you riding it as much as your main ride?

I have the same colourway, and love it, but I had to ditch the schwalbes and, most of all, the prologo saddle.
Old 12-20-18, 06:02 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
6 months on, and are you riding it as much as your main ride? I have the same colourway, and love it, but I had to ditch the schwalbes and, most of all, the prologo saddle.
My Schwalbe tires were like new (as was the bike) with only 21 miles ridden. I can't let myself remove those without some more miles on them (I am too cheap). However... I had no problem ditching the stock saddle and replacing it with my favorite style Sella Italia Qbix saddle. I'll put Continental Ultra Sport tire on as soon as the Schwalbe's show some wear. I'll be replacing the handlebar tape before spring as the old stuff isn't holding up and looks ratty. I love my CAAD10. But the daily rider (a Trek 1.1) still gets the most miles.

Meanwhile.... I also picked up a nice used CAD2 (1998)….. which is also a great ride. I am a very lucky and blessed man.
Old 12-26-18, 07:52 AM

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I haven't ridden my CAAD10s since 9/27/2018. Waiting for 2019 season
Old 01-02-19, 08:28 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
no. i was hoping to see some great pics of Caads like the bianchi threads or Ti threads or trek threads. Those are full of pretty bikes.
Old 05-14-19, 09:02 PM

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
2006 R1000, was stripped as a donor for a carbon fiber bike. The frame was passed among friends and never built... I'm on a personal weight loss journey, and this is my reward. I hope to have it ready to ride after I lose a bit more weight, which will be close to 140 pounds...

As it sits tonight. DT Swiss R1800 GT LTD Edition wheelset, used purchase included tires and tubes 700x25... SRAM Red crankset from 2011, Red FD, Force 2x10 brifters. Need brakes, chain, RD and incidentals...

More bike than I need, but too good to pass up. Makes my 92 Trek 1400, 98 CAD2 R200 seem positively heavy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.