Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are disc brakes the new clipless?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Are disc brakes the new clipless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-15, 10:47 AM

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
As far as brakes, I prefer coaster brakes on my IGH bikes ridden in all weather, all temperature conditions, mostly urban, semi urban environments without mountainous hills to contend with. 100% reliability, Zero maintenance, last a lifetime. Only require one hand (either hand) on handlebars to use effectively. A front hand brake can be a useful adjunct.

If I commuted or raced up and down 4mile hills with an average 10% grade I probably would change my mind.
Heck, if you had a close call you'd probably change your mind. Just saying... it doesn't take much to change one's mind.

On a totally unrelated topic, "Hey, we joined on the same month in 2004. That's a coincidence!"
Old 04-05-15, 10:48 AM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM
My technique with friction-shifting downtube levers was to reach down, move the lever and hope the chain ended up on approx. the gear I was hoping for. Can't imagine that working very well with greater numbers of more-closely-spaced cogs.
No problem with 9--10 cogs is iffy but doable for the experienced.
Old 04-05-15, 10:52 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
No problem with 9--10 cogs is iffy but doable for the experienced.
I had one of the first Dura Ace indexing groups and it is pretty clear that the intent was to make shifting very certain and reliable. And the Shimano technical department did the research and development in collaboration with professional riders. In this instance, experience told them that it was important to change gears quickly and reliably.
Old 04-05-15, 11:01 AM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
So with all these advancements, my favorite ride for enjoyment is my old converted fixie:

one gear -> fixed
one brake -> center-pull
heavy lugged steel
no computer
no lycra
no helmet

Old 04-05-15, 11:05 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That's a good one! I can remember riding at night with some really marginal lights because decent bicycle lights simply didn't exist. Even the cheap light systems today are hugely better in every way than anything that was commercially available in the 60's.
Remember when bottle dynamos were a huge improvement********************???? LOL
Old 04-05-15, 11:18 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
U
Originally Posted by BigAura
So with all these advancements, my favorite ride for enjoyment is my old converted fixie:

one gear -> fixed
one brake -> center-pull
heavy lugged steel
no computer
no lycra
no helmet

My 26yr old son and I just built a fixie on the Raleigh PRE frame that was doing nothing on the shop wall. We saw the movie Premium Rush and he was hooked. He loves it.
Old 04-05-15, 11:27 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,552 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
Heck, if you had a close call you'd probably change your mind. Just saying... it doesn't take much to change one's mind.

On a totally unrelated topic, "Hey, we joined on the same month in 2004. That's a coincidence!"
63 years of riding on coaster brakes, so far, so good.

Let me know if you ever heard about "close call/near death experiences" with rim brakes being expected to operate flawlessly on wet or icy or slush packed rims with frozen cables. Probably not since owners of such bikes keep them inside until Springtime dry weather, at least after one attempt at finding out how bad they are in bad weather.

As far as our BF Birthday: Howdy Brother!
Old 04-05-15, 11:32 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

one gear -> fixed
one brake -> center-pull
heavy lugged steel
no computer
no lycra
no helmet

I think I get it.

"I have a bike but it doesn't have a name on it because it's a "rescue" frame and I'm helping save the planet by rescuing one steel frame at a time."

"My bike only has one gear to free me to pursue other activities."

"My bike only has one brake because I had a close call and I'm too chicken-**** to ride without brakes anymore."

"My bike is heavy because it is something you can't tell from looking at it. I really only care what you think."

I think this thread is of limited use to owners of "lifestyle" bikes.
Old 04-05-15, 11:53 AM

I think I get it.

"I have a bike but it doesn't have a name on it because it's a "rescue" frame and I'm helping save the planet by rescuing one steel frame at a time."

"My bike only has one gear to free me to pursue other activities."

"My bike only has one brake because I had a close call and I'm too chicken-**** to ride without brakes anymore."

"My bike is heavy because it is something you can't tell from looking at it. I really only care what you think."
Nope. All wrong.

That's my 10-speed bike from 1970. When I got back into touring in 2007 I considered fixing it up but realized a modern touring bike was the way to go. During my research I came across a Sheldon Brown article on fixed speed conversions and that's what I did with that bike. The more I rode it, the more I enjoyed the simplicity.

BTW: I have and ride other bikes too including full carbon
Old 04-05-15, 11:59 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Aw heck, you did the Sheldon conversion because you were saving your old bike.

You only have one gear, why? The simlicity thing is generally about the pursuit of other stuff. EG I can focus on the simplicity that is so calming. Haha

I don't know why you left off the other brake. I think it is this simplicity thing again.

Your bike is heavy because it is old and made of heavy metal. Which has been great for music but not so much for bikes.

I know you care what others think, we all do.
Old 04-05-15, 12:25 PM

Aw heck, you did the Sheldon conversion because you were saving your old bike.
Yes I saved my old bike.

You only have one gear, why? The simlicity thing is generally about the pursuit of other stuff. EG I can focus on the simplicity that is so calming. Haha.
One fixed gear IS simple.

I don't know why you left off the other brake. I think it is this simplicity thing again.
Only one brake because it's fixed. I stop the forward motion with my legs, supplemented with the front brake.

Your bike is heavy because it is old and made of heavy metal. Which has been great for music but not so much for bikes.
Yep it's 45 year-old steel. Not really into the head-banging stuff.

I know you care what others think, we all do.
true
Old 04-05-15, 12:47 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Note: cale, trimmed for simplicity
Having tried to rescue my first road bike, also steel bought with allowance savings in the 70's, I "lost" mine to a racing accident. I would have been better off not riding it that day.

I moved several times, which makes the accumulation of bikes difficult, but, more importantly, I'm not much of a sentimentalist where bikes are concerned. I have two, a aluminum one and a"plastic" one.

What I am curious about is the fixie and simplicity. I don't think I've ever felt "encumbered" by gears but freely admit to sticking with a single gear combination for the duration of a segment if not the ride. I don't really see how a SS makes a bike simple unless you mean in that very obvious way, IT HAS 1 GEAR. Other than that, it isn't any simpler to ride. If anything, it's more complicated due to the talent required for leg braking.

I am an argumentative cuss, so I apologize in advance (LOL), but the fact you don't need brake advancements is because they wouldn't add to your bike owning pleasure. That, my friend, is what lifestyle riding is all about.
Old 04-05-15, 12:51 PM
Been Around Awhile

One fixed gear IS simple.
One gear, not fixed, (i.e. single speed coaster brake) is simpler, especially to ride down hills.
Old 04-05-15, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
One gear, not fixed, (i.e. single speed coaster brake) is simpler, especially to ride down hills.
Fixed is the simplest mechanically. I do agree coaster brakes make braking easier on steep descents. For me the simplicity extends to the one-to-one connection of your legs to the road. One revolution of your legs is always the same distance traveled.
Old 04-05-15, 02:33 PM

What I am curious about is the fixie and simplicity. I don't think I've ever felt "encumbered" by gears but freely admit to sticking with a single gear combination for the duration of a segment if not the ride. I don't really see how a SS makes a bike simple unless you mean in that very obvious way, IT HAS 1 GEAR. Other than that, it isn't any simpler to ride. If anything, it's more complicated due to the talent required for leg braking.
To be honest I don't feel encumbered by gears, per se, and I am very grateful for gears on hilly or mountainous terrain. An analogy might be: I never felt encumbered by my children, but it still felt good when they were at the grandparents

As explained above: on a fixed bike the
one-to-one connection of your legs to the road is very simple, pedal slow go slow, pedal fast go fast, pedal backward go backward. The perfect chain line also feels good versus a geared bike. Leg braking doesn't take long to adjust to, and I do use the front brake in conjunction, and I most ride relatively flat roads.
Old 04-05-15, 02:41 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
To be honest I don't feel encumbered by gears, per se, and I am very grateful for gears on hilly or mountainous terrain. An analogy might be: I never felt encumbered by my children, but it still felt good when they were at the grandparents

As explained above: on a fixed bike the
one-to-one connection of your legs to the road is very simple, pedal slow go slow, pedal fast go fast, pedal backward go backward. The perfect chain line also feels good versus a geared bike. Leg braking doesn't take long to adjust to, and I do use the front brake in conjunction, and I most ride relatively flat roads.
Yeah my bike goes faster when I pedal, too. That's cool. JK
Old 04-05-15, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
disc defenders? Why does every discussion of disc brakes devolve into this sort of thing? How about clipless? Do we have clipless defenders, too?
It's technology. Parts. It's not being forced on you. Keep an open mind.
Show me the data. Do clipless pedals make riders any more efficient? No, they do not.

Do discs offer shorter stopping distances? No, they do not.

Do discs offer better "modulation?" Quantify it, test it and show me the results.

Do discs work better in the wet? I don't go for rides in the rain very often. Don't care.

Do discs work better in the snow? Don't care.
Old 04-05-15, 05:18 PM
Old Fart In Training

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
Show me the data. Do clipless pedals make riders any more efficient? No, they do not.

Do discs offer shorter stopping distances? No, they do not.

Do discs offer better "modulation?" Quantify it, test it and show me the results.

Do discs work better in the wet? I don't go for rides in the rain very often. Don't care.

Do discs work better in the snow? Don't care.
No data, here is what I know to be fact from my riding.

Do discs offer shorter stopping distances?
My LWB Recumbent Tour Easy by design made the rear brake do 75% of the stopping, the front was too lightly loaded.
On hi-speed grab it and squeeze hard stops I had to use all four fingers and squeeze very hard to stop the bike in a reasonable distance.
Locking the rear wheel was not always possible, there needed to be a loose surface. On good old hot sticky black asphalt rear wheel lock up was not possible, just not enough braking power with my properly adjusted rim brake even with new quality pads.

On went the Avid BB7 mechanical disk brake with the 180 mm cut rotor and a teflon coated cable (The teflon was good for the extra long run)...

I now could lock the rear wheel at will on hot sticky asphalt and only needed TWO fingers for great modulation and control,,problem soved
BTW my Tour easy is 36 pounds stock, running in gear weight is 41 lbs.
As for shorter stopping distance, YES because I could modulate and hold them just before lockup with no variables like wet rims or slippery road surfaces getting the best of me.

Ok so that's not Lab data but I think It proves disk brakes are far superior and OFFER SHORTER STOPPING DISTANCES,
AT THE EXTREMES OF BIKING but may be overkill for light fast roadbikes with super skinny shoes, Plus they don't wear out your expensive rims..

You got me there,,,See above,,,

To those that do care, yes they do....

Do discs work better in the snow?

Not a clue, If It's that cold I'm on the couch with my bunny slippers on and a cup hot chocolate in one hand an a good book in the other...

I don't know or care about data I just ride bicycles but still,,,I hope that helped,,

I know I KNOW locking is loosing control,, I was just making a point,,

FYI I road clipless for two years on my mountain bike, got pretty good with them.
I'm back on GOOD flat pedals with shoes that are made for them and Strava say's I got faster as soon as the the flat pedals wen't on.

I can pull faster top speeds on my Recumbent clipped in tho,, Strava Is my only data on that subject,,again hope this helped

Last edited by osco53; 04-05-15 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-05-15, 06:52 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
What I want to know is this: If they're called "disc brakes" then why is the disc-shaped thing that gives them their name called a "rotor?"
Old 04-05-15, 07:15 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
What I want to know is this: If they're called "disc brakes" then why is the disc-shaped thing that gives them their name called a "rotor?"
Warning: Link not suitable for the disc-adverse.

Because this doesn't sound right? https://www.google.com/search?q=roto...w=1745&bih=814
Old 04-05-15, 08:21 PM
Been Around Awhile

Fixed is the simplest mechanically. I do agree coaster brakes make braking easier on steep descents. For me the simplicity extends to the one-to-one connection of your legs to the road. One revolution of your legs is always the same distance traveled.
Single speed coaster also makes possible coasting downhill, as well as riding downhill at any speed without spinning legs around like crazy as well as taking tight turns at speed without worrying about pedals hitting the ground. Trying to keep speed down to avoid the issues created by the fixed gear does not sound like simplifying riding to me.

Personally I cannot figure out the importance or significance of the one-to-one connection of your legs to the road. Is it part of man-machine synergy thing I've been hearing so much about?
Old 04-05-15, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
If I felt anything lacking in my rim brakes I would look into Discs, but since I don't I haven't.

However, the comparo to clipless pedals is not realistic; I switched to those in 1988 and have never looked back...
Old 04-05-15, 10:17 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Brakes are overrated. All they do is slow you down.
Old 04-06-15, 12:03 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
No data, here is what I know to be fact from my riding.

Do discs offer shorter stopping distances?
My LWB Recumbent Tour Easy.....
Yeah, I have no experience with recumbents and that's not the type of bike I was referring to. I'm talking about discs vs rim brakes on standard road bikes.
Old 04-06-15, 12:13 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanWho
First off, I am a clyde, I have been since I was 13 and stood 6'2". When I got back into biking a couple years ago I went to the lbs and the salesman gave me a very convincing test to try. He had two of the same model bike one with V brakes and one with disk brakes. He put them on a trainer stand and had both bikes in its lowest gear. He had me stand on the peddle with brakes applied. The V braked wheel moved and the disk didn't. Granted back then I was 70# more than I am now, but that convinced me. I'm sure the stock pads probably weren't the best and with better pads I wouldn't have moved that wheel either.

This test was just a side note for the real test, he was showing me that bottom brackets had improved tremendously since the early 70's and my Ihot racer. I went threw bottom brackets left and right, I got good at changing them out in short order. I had a paper route and was a beast to that poor bike. I still don't know how the rims and spokes took all the abuse I gave it going over curbs and such.
I test rode a road bike with mechanical discs a few weeks ago. The brakes literally would not stop at all. I grabbed both levers and squeezed them as hard as I could just to slow the bike down. They were incredibly weak stoppers. I WALKED the bike back to the shop.

The employee gave me some lame excuse about the brakes not having been broken in. I feel sorry for anyone who bought that bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.