Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike day goes wrong

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike day goes wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 06:15 PM
Ride 2 wheels

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
totally suxs. Fed-ex should be able to try and re-deliver. I would contact them altho they are hard to actually get ahold of a real person. probably an incompetent driver who tried to deliver to the wrong place. I have had that happen before.
I did get ahold of someone from FedEx and she was very helpful. She confirmed that a Canyon employee refused the shipment because “it wasn’t the bike they were expecting back”. However she was not able to do anything to prevent them from returning it to me. She said I would need to contact Canyon again. Which I did and got a supervisor. He also confirmed that some refused the delivery, evidently a new employee. He was able to get ahold of FedEx and request a reattempt tomorrow. He also said he would escalate the refund with the accounting department so I would get my refund within 3-4 days of them receiving and inspecting the bike.

Originally Posted by himespau
If they supplied the shipping label, shouldn't the shipper that they're returning it to also be them?
No. it is their account which is why I didn’t have authority to request FedEx attempt to redeliver. Since I am the origin location I am considered the shipper and had I listened to the first Canyon customer service rep and just waited, FedEx would have returned it to me.

Last edited by Trey83; 07-20-23 at 12:30 AM.
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-19-23, 06:59 PM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 980 Posts
JFC
I had considered Canyon after seeing their Aeroroad in person & being duly impressed.
Not anymore.
This case seems like a pretty clear cut situation of the new warehouse intern shipping the wrong box. It should be an easy fix: An overnight express return label. Refund pending acceptance that the returned box wasn't full of bricks. Simple.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 07-19-23, 07:31 PM
Ride 2 wheels

Originally Posted by base2
JFC
I had considered Canyon after seeing their Aeroroad in person & being duly impressed.
Not anymore.
This case seems like a pretty clear cut situation of the new warehouse intern shipping the wrong box. It should be an easy fix: An overnight express return label. Refund pending acceptance that the returned box wasn't full of bricks. Simple.
Good company and good products but it sounds like they have more than one new employee making mistakes on both the shipping and receiving side and possibly even customer service as well. Everyone I have spoke to is apologetic and polite but it has been one thing after another so far.

Last edited by Trey83; 07-20-23 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-19-23, 10:01 PM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX DI2 9 2023 Grail CF SLX eTap AXS Red 2023 Grizl CF SLX 8 Di2 2021 Endurace Al 6.0 2018 Cayon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Canyon small is way too small for me. I am 5'8 and 5'9. Medium fits perfect! Maybe try it out? I know is already too late since you already try to return it.
Old 07-19-23, 11:26 PM
Ride 2 wheels

Originally Posted by Geo_Zegarra2016
Canyon small is way too small for me. I am 5'8 and 5'9. Medium fits perfect! Maybe try it out? I know is already too late since you already try to return it.
Trust me, I was tempted to. However, I have a short inseam which is part of the reason they recommend a size small. I had no stand over clearance above the top tube. I was afraid of trying it for two reasons. First, as a new rider I was worried that I would convince myself that the bike would work due to the excitement of the new bike and not realize it was wrong until after the 30 day return period. I didn’t want to waste $300 on a bike fit for the wrong size frame. Secondly, I was afraid of damaging the bike with rock chips, scratch, etc… and being stuck with it or having issues such as restocking fees to deal with. The fact that they clearly state I am a small and then sent a large was not something I was willing to risk. If we were talking about a pair of shorts I wouldn’t think twice, but I am not willing to risk having the wrong size bike at $3k.
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-19-23, 11:30 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4073 Post(s)
Liked 7,665 Times in 3,076 Posts
Time for a reality check. Overnight shipping for a bicycle would cost over $1,000. No bicycle company is going to eat that cost.
Old 07-19-23, 11:30 PM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX DI2 9 2023 Grail CF SLX eTap AXS Red 2023 Grizl CF SLX 8 Di2 2021 Endurace Al 6.0 2018 Cayon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
Trust me, I was tempted to. However, I have a short inseam which is part of the reason they recommend a size small. I had no stand over clearance above the top tube. I was afraid of trying it for two reasons. First, as a new rider I was worried that I would convince myself that the bike would work due to the excitement of the new bike and not realize it was wrong until after the 30 day return period. I didn’t want to waste $300 on a bike fit for the wrong size frame. Secondly, I was afraid of damaging the bike with rock chips, scratch, etc… and being stuck with it or having issues such as restocking fees to deal with. The fact that they clearly state I am a small and then sent a large was not something I was willing to risk. If we were talking about a pair of shorts I wouldn’t think twice, but I am not willing to risk having the wrong size bike at $3k.
You said the sticker was "M". Now you are saying they sent a large? I am very confused. Which is it? Large or medium? If the bike was damaged, it would go straight to the outlet section. that is what the 30 days was meant for. It won't do anything. Canyon has that perk of allowing people like you to see if the bike works very well and fits perfectly.
Old 07-19-23, 11:58 PM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Time for a reality check. Overnight shipping for a bicycle would cost over $1,000. No bicycle company is going to eat that cost.
Well, ok. Within reason, then. I can get a box of bike parts from anywhere in Europe to the west coast (the best coast ) in 72 hours for $35. A full bicycle from Seattle to England with signature delivery & customs clearance can be had in under 24 hours only cost $700...DHL has their act together. Between these 2 extremes, UPS once sent an oversized tandem for me from Everett to Utica, New York for under $200 and 7 days.

Getting a prepacked bike box on a truck from California to Florida under a corporate account carrier contract ought to be doable for plainly reasonable money. It's the symbolism that matters. That they gave nothing but the slow boat anti-express that they were already offering to non-aggrieved customers & refused delivery seals the deal for me. They signaled to me that they are a sloppy, second rate, disorganized operation that doesn't value the OP's significant monetary outlay or respect him as a customer.

Last edited by base2; 07-20-23 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-20-23, 12:13 AM
Ride 2 wheels

You said the sticker was "M". Now you are saying they sent a large? I am very confused. Which is it? Large or medium? If the bike was damaged, it would go straight to the outlet section. that is what the 30 days was meant for. It won't do anything. Canyon has that perk of allowing people like you to see if the bike works very well and fits perfectly.
Sorry it has been a long and frustrating day. My brain was thinking too large and I typed large. They sent me a Medium frame when I ordered small. Sorry for the confusion.

Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-20-23, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Liked 5,176 Times in 3,200 Posts
JFC
Not anymore.
Whatever alternative bike you choose, somebody on the internet will have had a bad experience with it. Just sayin.....
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-20-23, 04:26 AM

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 2,000 Times in 878 Posts
how can you be both 5'8" and 5'9"? I am 5'8.5" with 82cm pubic inseam. my buddies girlfriend has a medium and I tried it and it is way too big. she is over 6' tall. I ordered a small should be here early next week if I don't have all the issues that the OP has had. fingers crossed.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 07-20-23, 05:19 AM
Ride 2 wheels

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Whatever alternative bike you choose, somebody on the internet will have had a bad experience with it. Just sayin.....
It is the risk you run with anything you order that is being mailed to you. Canyon has a positive reputation and so I was willing to take the risk. It just so happens that it is the most expensive internet purchase I have made by quite a large margin and the transaction went south. It speaks volumes to finding and working with a good LBS. I went to four different shops within 45 minutes of my house and found their levels of customer service to be quite contrasting. There were two that were so bad that I would still order another Canyon before shopping there lol. I found one that was head and shoulders above the rest and that is who I ended doing business with even though the bike was nearly 50% more than the Canyon that I am returning.
Old 07-20-23, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Liked 5,176 Times in 3,200 Posts
It is the risk you run with anything you order that is being mailed to you. Canyon has a positive reputation and so I was willing to take the risk. It just so happens that it is the most expensive internet purchase I have made by quite a large margin and the transaction went south. It speaks volumes to finding and working with a good LBS. I went to four different shops within 45 minutes of my house and found their levels of customer service to be quite contrasting. There were two that were so bad that I would still order another Canyon before shopping there lol. I found one that was head and shoulders above the rest and that is who I ended doing business with even though the bike was nearly 50% more than the Canyon that I am returning.
I think you were incredibly unlucky and when shipping goes wrong with expensive, bulky items there is always going to be some degree of time and hassle involved. In your case pretty much everything that could go wrong with the shipping did go wrong. They shipped the wrong bike and then messed up the return. A good LBS obviously avoids these specific issues, but at a significant cost and more limited choice. With Canyon it's a small risk I've been willing to take twice (both shipments were fine) simply because I like their bikes and very competitive pricing. I also know that if it does go horribly wrong, you will eventually get all your money back one way or another. They are a reputable company.

I actually bought my Giant Defy from a non-local (to me) LBS on the internet and so that had to be shipped too. The shipping went fine but there was an issue with the seat post which the shop sorted pretty quickly with a replacement part. The only time I've had to use Canyon customer service was to get some replacement bearing dust caps for my mountain bike, which they sorted just as quickly.

All the LBS's within a 20 mile radius of my house suck, which makes buying online an easy decision.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your Defy. Mine has been a great bike, although I do prefer my Endurace overall.
Old 07-20-23, 12:02 PM
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 386 Posts
A big part of me is really envious of you guys that have so many choices of LBS's near you. I have one @35 miles away and they;re more into E-bikes and Hybrids. When I asked about decent road bikes I get excuses why they don't have any on display. They do have a couple of MTB's on display, but mostly it's E-bikes now, even pushing out the gravel/hybrids. The next closest LBS's are @100+ miles. It's just not worth the trouble and hassle of going that distance when I can order whatever I need online. So glad that things look they're going to work out for Trey83.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 07-20-23, 05:55 PM
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
So glad that things look they're going to work out for Trey83.
Wut?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-20-23, 05:57 PM
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I think you were incredibly unlucky and when shipping goes wrong with expensive, bulky items there is always going to be some degree of time and hassle involved. In your case pretty much everything that could go wrong with the shipping did go wrong.
Occam's razor can slit your throat.
Old 07-20-23, 07:13 PM

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10316 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,263 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Occam's razor can slit your throat.
That escalated quickly.
Old 07-20-23, 07:26 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Canyon intern: "This guy ordered a small and is returning a medium! Back it goes."
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-20-23, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 281 Posts
Certainly puts me off of considering a Canyon...wow...good luck !
Old 07-20-23, 10:10 PM
Ride 2 wheels

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Canyon intern: "This guy ordered a small and is returning a medium! Back it goes."
I assume that is what happened 😂 It has been a comedy of errors.
Old 07-20-23, 10:19 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Certainly puts me off of considering a Canyon...wow...good luck !
Everyone has difference experiences. I've been a very happy canyon costumer
Likes For Geo_Zegarra2016:
Old 07-21-23, 06:53 AM
Ride 2 wheels

Update: this transaction has been the gift that keeps on giving. Now FedEx delivered a living plant that has been relabeled as my bike return. You can’t make this stuff up.

Old 07-21-23, 07:13 AM

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 2,000 Times in 878 Posts
oh my word...you better buy a lotto ticket as your luck has to change.
Old 07-21-23, 07:21 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22769 Post(s)
Liked 9,169 Times in 4,253 Posts
Subscribed
Old 07-21-23, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4281 Post(s)
Liked 3,007 Times in 1,849 Posts
Update: this transaction has been the gift that keeps on giving. Now FedEx delivered a living plant that has been relabeled as my bike return. You can’t make this stuff up.

What the hell?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.