Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Bicycling Wastes Gas?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Bicycling Wastes Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 06:00 PM
'run to your mommy'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lyeinyoureye
I love oatmeal, pototoes are pretty nice too, mashed, scalloped, fried, hmmm... The bigger problem is how much does processing, trucking, and selling even the most energy efficient food cost? And when we start futzing with it, it really goes up. Take cereal from the Harpers article, at four calories of fossil fuel to a calorie of energy, before it's been shipped/stocked, it's not a great example of "whole grain" energy efficiency and may be pretty close to to 10:1 due to it's lack of density and higher cost to transport compared to potatoes. You know what would be nice, a list so we could break down costs...
Either way, the innefficiency of meat is still enormous compared to plant foods. I'm not sure, but I think they already factored in processing and packaging.
Old 08-02-06, 11:49 PM
yo momma

Bikes: Masi Alare, (older) Bianchi, Free Spirit, an older kinda beat up Nashiki I found, & a few random bikes i found trashed fixed with other scrap parts...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grow most of my veggies...

and I dont eat meat...

I ride everywhere I go and I eat natural and organic foods that in most cases are in no way affecting or are effected by gas, oil, etc.

So, I guess I can proudly say that in most cases I say f*ck gasoline...

haha
Old 08-03-06, 06:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you guys see an article in dirt rag on Vegan Rob? He's an endurance racer, and he gave up meat 10 years ago. It also has a little tidbit on the ethical issues surrounding meat vs. veg.
Old 08-03-06, 11:43 PM
'run to your mommy'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll check it out. Thanks!