Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

End of the road for Shimano Sora, Claris, Tiagra, Alivio, Acera, Altus groupsets

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

End of the road for Shimano Sora, Claris, Tiagra, Alivio, Acera, Altus groupsets

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-23, 08:23 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11048 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
...my Tiagra Group has been dead reliable, but parts availability for Shimano has always been hard as they change the pull ratios so often. The handwriting has been on the wall for a while with the compatible 10-speed freewheel selection dwindling.
They change the pull ratios so often that parts availability has always been hard? I encourage you to come out of that alternate reality and enter the real world.
- Shimano doesnt change pull ratios 'so often'. 11sp Shimano has all worked with other levels of 11sp for a decade now. A decade. The lower tiers worked together for like 35 years. A 6401 Shimano tricolor 8sp RD from 1992 will pair with a Shimano Sora 9sp 3500 shifter from 2014 and a Shimano HG50 9sp cassette from 2023. That drivetrain spans 30 years, but will still shift just fine(I have used this exact setup), yet you say Shimano parts availability has always been hard because they change the pull ratios so often? Come on now.
- As for your claim that 10sp freewheel selection is dwindling...well they are cassettes and not freewheels, so yeah I can see 10sp freewheels dwindling since they arent a thing to begin with. But that snark aside, 10sp cassettes are readily available. CRC has the following Shimano 10sp compatible cassettes in stock riht now- SunRace MS3, BrandX, SunRace CSMX0, SunRace CSRS1, Miche Primato, SunRace CSRS0, Tifosi HG. They are also sold at Jenson, REI, Performance, Amazon, Universal, BikeTiresDirect, Merlin, CompetitiveCyclist, BikeInn, and more.
Old 03-08-23, 09:07 AM
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That's what car insurance is for. But another way to look at this is the crash repair cost of yourself after an accident. I would much rather be in a modern car if I was unfortunate enough to be involved in a serious crash. A lot of progress has been made in both active and passive car safety since 2009. I certainly wouldn't ignore that for the sake of component costs that you are unlikely to ever have to actually pay for. Whenever I've run older cars (>10 years old), they have cost me a lot more money overall in maintenance anyway.
Every ensurer I had the displeasure of dealing with (thankfully, it was just a few cases - including a hit-and-run - with a couple of insurers, and in none of the cases was I the party at fault) would go out of their way to try and get out of paying for the damages. Here in Saudi Arabia, even if the other party has been found to have been 100 percent at fault, you - the one claiming the damages - will still have to foot part of the bill. It's the law.

So, if someone crashes into your expensive German car and it turns out that the repair bill will run into the thousands of dollars (remember $1=SAR3.75), that's still a serious chunk of cash that you're going to have to fork out for your own repairs. Often, it's just cheaper - and less aggravating and time-consuming - to just total the car and take a lump sum from the insurer.
Old 03-08-23, 09:21 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,822 Posts
None of this affects me in the slightest. I'm using a group nearly 30 years old and am still able to find parts for it and maintain it. That's not going to end. And I would never mix indexing parts with other groups, so no problem there.

Maybe someday, in the far distant future, it will be impossible to find replacement parts--but that's doubtful. And I won't be around to care.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-09-23, 07:56 AM
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,020 Posts
Sorry if this has already been mentioned (didn't read through all the posts), but maybe the bicycle manufacturers' longer-range plans are to change everything possible to an electronic platform, then charge a monthly/quarterly/yearly 'subscription fee' to activate it and keep it activated. That's what the major car manufacturers are proposing to do with new vehicles in the near future. You want index shifting vs standard friction shifting? Built-in taillight/headlight activation? Front/rear radar activation That'll be $20/month for each, just sign up on our website at you'rescrewedbicycleco.com
Likes For skidder:
Old 03-09-23, 09:03 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
All I have to say is somewhere Suntour and Microshift are celebrating watching their replacement parts sales skyrocket.
The demand for the old stuff will be so large, someone (or maybe two or three) will scramble to fill the void. This isn't like the time Shimano dropped FFR early index shifting or when they dropped 10 speed electronic shifting. Just too many really nice bikes relying on the old stuff for this to go away quietly.
Old 03-09-23, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3260 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,532 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Sorry if this has already been mentioned (didn't read through all the posts), but maybe the bicycle manufacturers' longer-range plans are to change everything possible to an electronic platform, then charge a monthly/quarterly/yearly 'subscription fee' to activate it and keep it activated. That's what the major car manufacturers are proposing to do with new vehicles in the near future. You want index shifting vs standard friction shifting? Built-in taillight/headlight activation? Front/rear radar activation That'll be $20/month for each, just sign up on our website at you'rescrewedbicycleco.com
Interesting! I hadn't thought about that. Guess I should.
Old 03-09-23, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 1,788 Times in 1,004 Posts
More to the point, you only have use of 7 of the 11 cogs for free. If you want to 'unlock' the other cassette cogs, you'll have to pay an upgrade fee!
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 03-09-23, 05:24 PM
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
More to the point, you only have use of 7 of the 11 cogs for free. If you want to 'unlock' the other cassette cogs, you'll have to pay an upgrade fee!
And You're Screwed Bicycle Co. LTD. will have really screwed you if the free cogs in your basic subscription plan are the seven highest ones!
Old 03-09-23, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Why not go fully wireless? How about wireless electric brakes? Better hope the network doesn’t go down just when you need to stop!
Old 03-09-23, 06:46 PM
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Interesting! I hadn't thought about that. Guess I should.
Its all over blogs associated with car sales and the automotive world. Ford, GM & others proposed it to increase revenue without needing to sell more vehicles. Example cited is a proposal to charge for heated seats, so you guys in the upper Midwest are going to be screwed in the winter unless you pay up. Dealers are against it as they want a share of the revenue since they have to repair stuff associated with the software-controlled features. The dealers associations are also suing manufacturers in about a dozen states over it, as well as to prevent direct sales to consumers ( like Tesla does). While reading about it on the web I thought bicycle manufacturers might try it, too.
Old 03-09-23, 06:49 PM
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by ARider2
Why not go fully wireless? How about wireless electric brakes? Better hope the network doesn’t go down just when you need to stop!
That's so 2022! Why not go fully automatic? Fully automated shifting, automated balancing, and automatic braking with IR/laser detection. That way, new riders won't even have to learn how to ride a bike! All they need to do is spin the crank and off the bike goes!
Old 03-09-23, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Its all over blogs associated with car sales and the automotive world. Ford, GM & others proposed it to increase revenue without needing to sell more vehicles. Example cited is a proposal to charge for heated seats, so you guys in the upper Midwest are going to be screwed in the winter unless you pay up. Dealers are against it as they want a share of the revenue since they have to repair stuff associated with the software-controlled features. The dealers associations are also suing manufacturers in about a dozen states over it, as well as to prevent direct sales to consumers ( like Tesla does). While reading about it on the web I thought bicycle manufacturers might try it, too.
Last year I was buying a new car and got talking about the options I could get. The dealership guy told me in Europe, they were playing around with the idea of heated car seats only working if you bought a subscription monthly, yearly for them.
Old 03-09-23, 07:01 PM
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by Gyro
Last year I was buying a new car and got talking about the options I could get. The dealership guy told me in Europe, they were playing around with the idea of heated car seats only working if you bought a subscription monthly, yearly for them.
Old 03-09-23, 07:06 PM
BF's Resident Dumbass

Any Democratic lawmaker worth their mettle (which probably rules out AOC ) can successfully argue that since vehicles are required by law to having a working heating system, heated seats should become mandatory and it would be illegal to charge people for their use. Of course, there would be plenty of pushback from the pro-business Republicans, probably even a filibuster, but the bill will be very popular.
Old 03-09-23, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4543 Post(s)
Liked 5,049 Times in 3,117 Posts
I think you guys are getting a bit carried away if you think Shimano are likely to introduce a subscription model for drivetrain functionality.

Last edited by PeteHski; 03-09-23 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-09-23, 07:09 PM
BF's Resident Dumbass

I think you guys are getting a bit carried away if you think bike manufacturers are likely to introduce a subscription model for drivetrain functionality.
What is it that makes you think they won't?
Old 03-09-23, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by sjanzeir
What is it that makes you think they won't?
Okay, explain how you think it would work between Shimano and the various bike manufacturers? Also what features would we be “unlocking” with a subscription? It sounds extremely unlikely to me and certainly not with CUES.
Old 03-09-23, 07:21 PM
BF's Resident Dumbass

Okay, explain how you think it would work between Shimano and the various bike manufacturers? Also what features would we be “unlocking” with a subscription? It sounds extremely unlikely to me and certainly not with CUES.
I can't because I don't have enough information, and I can't be bothered to do the research because I have far better things to do with my time. But I wouldn't put a subscription model past any company if there is a determined enough investor with enough board room clout that demands it be so.
Old 03-09-23, 07:30 PM

I can't because I don't have enough information, and I can't be bothered to do the research because I have far better things to do with my time. But I wouldn't put a subscription model past any company if there is a determined enough investor with enough board room clout that demands it be so.
Well that’s totally convinced me now. I thought CUES was merely a logical consolidation of Shimano’s mid-tier mechanical groups, but now I’m convinced it’s a lead up to online subscription configurable electronic drivetrains. That sounds far more likely.
Old 03-09-23, 07:38 PM
BF's Resident Dumbass

Well that’s totally convinced me now. I thought CUES was merely a logical consolidation of Shimano’s mid-tier mechanical groups, but now I’m convinced it’s a lead up to online subscription configurable electronic drivetrains. That sounds far more likely.
Again, what's to stop them from introducing a subscription model across all their groupset tiers - including CUES - in the future? In fact, what's to stop them from making a CUES subscription so outrageously exorbitant that consumers (subscribers?) will feel compelled to pay $999/$1,799/$3,199 for 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace or LX/XT/XTR (respectively) for and get more and better features for just $11.99 more/year?
Old 03-09-23, 10:19 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7674 Post(s)
Liked 3,557 Times in 1,871 Posts
My wife's car came with a host of handy options and functions which are going to shut down very soon because we think it is obnoxious that we were not told up front that the services would become subscription-only. It is all nav stuff and communication utility ... the brakes and steering should still work.

But .... anyone who thinks it couldn't happen is ignoring that it is happening, in cars.

Also .... Adobe, the software company, shifted to an all-subscription format ....you cannot buy their software, but only rent it. Updates are included .... but if you owned the software from before and opt not to get the software updates ... better hope they don't release an update which makes legacy versions not compatible with other programs--like, programs which transfer files from outside sources. If your camera maker wants to stay friends with Adobe, it will make its transfer programs compatible ... with the new stuff.

I own video software which tried something similar. The company decided it's latest update was so significantly improved that it constituted a new version, so people who had bought the "Lifetime License" to teh original version a few years before would be offered a half-price deal on the "new version" ( which was just a big update.) Apparently no one bit ... because a week later the company offered an apology and offered the new version free to lifetime subscribers.

They tried, though .... I guess they regretted offering a lifetime license, forgetting that they were unknown start-up back then and no one was interested unless it was a sweet deal.

Not saying any specific company will do or is considering doing this ... not mentioning Shimano or any one ... but here are a lot of people trying to figure ways to sell less for more, and the heads of corporations seem to love the idea.

I know some BF folks already think Shimano is evil for changing pull ratios ... twenty-odd years ago. Let slip the dogs of the conspiracy theory ....
Old 03-09-23, 10:40 PM
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by Maelochs
the brakes and steering should still work.
Albeit without servo assist, and you're no longer allowed to turn the wheel to full look (both features are available for a low, low rates of $3.99 and $0.99/mo.)

[T]here are a lot of people trying to figure ways to sell less for more, and the heads of corporations seem to love the idea.
Well, they got bosses, too: Investors and shareholders, and most of them are of the "more, now" variety.

I know some BF folks already think Shimano is evil for changing pull ratios ...
Reminds me of the great, never-ending Canon vs. Nikon debate back in the late 1990s and the advent of digital SLR photography in the early 2000s, when the only social media there were were mailing lists (mostly Yahoo!) and early versions of online forums such as this one. Canon was the evil one for having introduced a new lens mount when they debuted their first EOS auto focus camera - in 1987!) while you could almost see the halo around Nikon's logo for making their old 1950s mount work with auto focus, maintaining compatibility - albeit limited - among newer and older bodies and lenses. I've abandoned professional/enthusiast photography a long time ago, so I have no idea whether or not the debate has endured to this day, but I'm sure that there will be people who just can't let it go.
Old 03-10-23, 04:19 AM

But .... anyone who thinks it couldn't happen is ignoring that it is happening, in cars.
I drive a Tesla and it has subscription software for the premium infotainment. For a long time it was free, but someone has to pay for the cellular network access and so it was inevitable they would start to charge for it sooner or later. Tesla also have a subscription option in NA for self-driving, but here in the UK it's a one-off payment up front. To be honest I would be far more likely to buy into it on a subscription basis.

This kind of subscription model makes sense in the automotive world, where there are so many advanced options available in software, but I'm 100% certain it has no relevance to CUES. The only thing I can think of is a subscription to access logged shift data on electronic groups. At the moment I get that data for free via SRAM's AXS portal, but I can imagine them charging for it in future. Same with access to power meter software. I believe Cannondale already charge to "activate" the power meter shipped on their high-end road bikes.
Old 03-10-23, 04:27 AM

Again, what's to stop them from introducing a subscription model across all their groupset tiers - including CUES - in the future? In fact, what's to stop them from making a CUES subscription so outrageously exorbitant that consumers (subscribers?) will feel compelled to pay $999/$1,799/$3,199 for 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace or LX/XT/XTR (respectively) for and get more and better features for just $11.99 more/year?
I don't see what there is to leverage in CUES with a subscription model. There is no software, no data, no online connection. Just simple, mechanical hardware. If you want to upgrade your CUES hardware, you just buy the relevant upgrade hardware. That's the whole point of making it cross-compatible. What you are suggesting above is just fantasy.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-10-23, 06:54 AM
BF's Resident Dumbass

What you are suggesting above is just fantasy.
And I sure as heck hope it's just that! What I'm saying is, who's to say that they won't eventually make everything - including the next generation of CUES - Di2, because steel derailleur cables are so 1970s? No one ever thought that the bread-and-butter 105 would ever go Di2 because everyone felt it would be against its very intrinsic workhorse nature, and yet here we are! Who's to say that this iteration of CUES isn't just a stopgap for the next-generation CUES Di2? After all, it makes sense: instead of designing and manufacturing three Di2 systems for Claris/Ultus, Sora/Acera, and Tiagra/Alivio, just make one Di2 system that's simply programmable for the cassette's number of speeds! There's nothing stopping them from building in some sort of remote metrics system into it, and eventually, some walking, talking sphincter of an investor with boardroom clout will see the financial potential of a subscription model and force it down their corporate throats! Other OEMs - from SRAM to L-twoo - will inevitably follow suit, and we'll all be living in cycling's version of 1984. I sure hope I'm just fantasizing!
Likes For sjanzeir:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.