Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

= Show Us Your Cannondale! =

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

= Show Us Your Cannondale! =

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 12:16 PM

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
Ok, again I'm not trying to steer you way from carbon wheels because I love my envy wheels. BUT knowing that you are on a budget and mainly wanting a lighter wheel, just know that you opened the door to a lot more options. There are several options for light aluminum wheels.

stand Alpha alum rims , Novetech hubs on eBay, CX-Rays or Revolution spokes. should put you in around 1350g

here are some other options I found for ya:

"Budget: $500 (all-inclusive)
Build:
Stan's 340 Alpha Rims (24H/28H)
Bikehubstore.com Superlight Hubs
Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
Brass Nipples
Total weight: 1230 grams (verified on my luggage scale and a Park scale at my LBS). More weight could obviously be saved with a lower spoke count. A 20/24 build would be sub-1200 grams.
Total cost: $502. This includes all shipping, labor and tax. The wheels were built by a very experienced wheel builder at my LBS."

OR

"Stans 340 alpha wheels delivered, extralite hubs and cx-ray spokes in 28/32 as I wanted to ensure they stayed stiff!
Weigh in at 1245g with rim tape and stickers"

OR

"Soul S2.0
1330g
$500./shipped
210lb rider limit
Rim: N'litened Alloy rims. Machined braking surface with wear indicator.
Bearings: Japanese High Grade Stainless Steel sealed bearings.
Hubs: SOUL Prodigy hubs, 2 sealed bearings front + 4 sealed bearings rear.
Spokes: Double Butted and bladed 2.3mm X5 CrNi stainless steel spokes.
20 radial laced Front + 24 2 x cross driveside, radial non-driveside Rear.
Nipples: Brass, Aluminium (Black)
Skewers: 90g Lightweight Hollow Chromoly Axle (included)
Weight: 580g (Front) 750g (Rear), 1.330kg pair ( weight without skewers)
Weight Limit: 95kg/ 210lbs
"
let me research on these. They seem light, hope durable too.
Old 09-03-13, 12:28 PM

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexMac
let me research on these. They seem light, hope durable too.
Seems like;
Stan's 340 Alpha Rims (24H/28H are made for lighter riders and does flex. I probably couldn't tell if i was riding. 1,216g?? tha'ts superlight and worth it.

Soul s2.0 seem stiffer than Mavic but again i probably could not tell the difference.

Thanks again for your help. I'll check around for Stan340 alpha

I like the Stans 340 more
Old 09-03-13, 01:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not so good comments about the Stans though;

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/whe...ms-253068.html
Old 09-03-13, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You're on the right track TexMac, don't be in a hurry and keep doing research. I just saw a pair of Reynolds Assaults go for $450 on ebay two weeks ago, there's great deals out there if you're patient.

Old 09-03-13, 02:08 PM
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not so good comments about the Stans though;

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/whe...ms-253068.html
You are always going to get negative feedback on anything you research. Reading through that, there was a lot of good feedback but just not necessarily the bestbwhe option for that person. That's an important lesson when doing research for wheels is first you need to understand what it is you want about if a wheel and how you want it to benefit your riding. If yiubareblooking for a touring wheel but looking for reviews in a racing forum, then feedback will be negative and visa versa. In other words, if you are looking for a light wheel for purposes of everyday riding a stans rim will be just fine. If yiibare simply blooming for a carbon wheel because you simply want a carbon wheel, then the Reynolds assault will be a great choice.
Old 09-03-13, 02:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are always going to get negative feedback on anything you research. Reading through that, there was a lot of good feedback but just not necessarily the bestbwhe option for that person. That's an important lesson when doing research for wheels is first you need to understand what it is you want about if a wheel and how you want it to benefit your riding. If yiubareblooking for a touring wheel but looking for reviews in a racing forum, then feedback will be negative and visa versa. In other words, if you are looking for a light wheel for purposes of everyday riding a stans rim will be just fine. If yiibare simply blooming for a carbon wheel because you simply want a carbon wheel, then the Reynolds assault will be a great choice.
Thanks man! i've learned so much about wheels in a day than i could reading a book.
Old 09-03-13, 02:39 PM
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, back at desk now and just say all the typo's from texting on my phone. sorry. Hope you understood all that.

Also, sorry to everyone about fillilng this thread with wheel stuff. Back to C'dales!
Old 09-03-13, 07:22 PM

Bikes: CerveloR3, Andy Gilmour lugged steel, custom Trek tourer, Cannondale Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well here is my old Cannondale, got it new in 1997. On a really good day we go good enough uphill to make the average rider wonder what's wrong with themselves. Usually go very fast on a flat, ALWAYS go really fast down hill. Ride a steel single made by Andy Gilmour of Tucson.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
long bike.jpg (102.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 09-04-13, 07:08 AM

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, back at desk now and just say all the typo's from texting on my phone. sorry. Hope you understood all that.

Also, sorry to everyone about fillilng this thread with wheel stuff. Back to C'dales!
I appreciate the wheel talk. I learned a bit to as I'm chasing an everyday lightweight set of wheels for training. I was previously pointed toward Novatec hubs for their price/weight, but the website you provided seems to offer better price/weight hubs. I'll have to make a stop into the LBS and talk wheels with him again. He built up some Stan's Alpha 400s for CX and I think he thinks highly of them.

Originally Posted by gsms
Well here is my old Cannondale, got it new in 1997. On a really good day we go good enough uphill to make the average rider wonder what's wrong with themselves. Usually go very fast on a flat, ALWAYS go really fast down hill. Ride a steel single made by Andy Gilmour of Tucson.
That is one mean looking tandem. I was considering renting a tandem in Colorado to experience it. Had there been a Cannondale with aerospoke wheels, I definitely would've given it a go.
Old 09-04-13, 08:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i was outbid on some reynolds assault by $150!! but i did manage to get a Easton EC90 Carbon Zero Setback seatost for my cannondale.
Old 09-04-13, 09:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsms

Nice wheels on that machine. Never riden a tandem but i always wonder if one person is doing more work than the other
Old 09-04-13, 09:41 AM
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was outbid on some reynolds assault by $150!! but i did manage to get a Easton EC90 Carbon Zero Setback seatost for my cannondale.
Nice! Good very light post
Old 09-04-13, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nice wheels on that machine. Never riden a tandem but i always wonder if one person is doing more work than the other
if it were me and my wife this would definately be the case
Old 09-04-13, 09:51 AM

Bikes: CerveloR3, Andy Gilmour lugged steel, custom Trek tourer, Cannondale Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on the wheels, a lot of people state they don't like them for whatever reasons, but I will tell you this about them: I have over 30k miles on them with original bearings, they have never cracked or failed on me, that's saying a lot because typical tandem teams are 350 and over combined weight (especially my 6-4 235# self and 120# stoker + a bike that weighs in at 40# as you see it in the picture for a total of 395#) lot of weight for a wheel to deal with. The Aerospokes are about 3-4 pounds heavier as a pair but sure make up for it in durability and strength.
Old 09-04-13, 12:11 PM

Bikes: Cannondale super x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my bike.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_00000172.jpg (96.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 09-04-13, 12:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abby4000
my bike.

What kind of wheels are those? they look huge or is it for the terrain you ride on?
Old 09-04-13, 12:27 PM

Bikes: C'dale Quick 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
mine
Old 09-04-13, 01:14 PM
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of wheels are those? they look huge or is it for the terrain you ride on?
They look like fulcrum wheels, but that is a cycle cross bike (superX). Thats why they looks so beefy
Old 09-04-13, 03:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what do you think of these? They are clinchers and weigh 610g for front wheel and 790g for back wheel
https://www.jensonusa.com/Azonic-Tech...ncher-Wheelset
Old 09-04-13, 03:59 PM
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what do you think of these? They are clinchers and weigh 610g for front wheel and 790g for back wheel
https://www.jensonusa.com/Azonic-Tech...ncher-Wheelset
For $1200 you have better options out there. Not to say these are bad, but I would personally go with SOUL, Williams, Reynolds or even Boyd for an extra $200. Have you looked into Boyd clinchers yet? Has a large following here. I have personal experience with them/him and nothing but great things to say.
Old 09-04-13, 08:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $1200 you have better options out there. Not to say these are bad, but I would personally go with SOUL, Williams, Reynolds or even Boyd for an extra $200. Have you looked into Boyd clinchers yet? Has a large following here. I have personal experience with them/him and nothing but great things to say.
Saw some for $800.. Will check some Boyd clinchers
Old 09-04-13, 10:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These ones are interesting and light 1495g and cheaper too.
https://www.williamscycling.com/Wheel...count_p_8.html
Old 09-04-13, 10:14 PM
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup. good wheelset. good price. Only thing I see that COULD be concern is it has a 190 lbs weight limit. I know you said you were 180lbs and hoping to lose 10 more or so, but just something to think about.

Last edited by bianchi10; 09-04-13 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-04-13, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
These ones are interesting and light 1495g and cheaper too.
https://www.williamscycling.com/Wheel...count_p_8.html
Yup. good wheelset. good price. Only thing I see that COULD be concern is it has a 190 lbs weight limit. I know you said you were 180lbs and hoping to lose 10 more or so, but just something to think about.
Im in that same weight range and would step up to the 24/28 spoke version
Old 09-05-13, 06:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
Im in that same weight range and would step up to the 24/28 spoke version
Weighed myself yesterday after a 30 mile fast ride & I weigh 178lbs. I average 3 rides a week..30, 40-45, 50-60 miles so that weight has no option but to go down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.