Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Super Record pulley jockey wheel replacement and compatibility?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campagnolo Super Record pulley jockey wheel replacement and compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 09:41 PM
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
<snip> Bull's Eye which were the only sealed replacements were all 6 mm in ID for the bolts. Requiring a shim and a bunch of time trying to center then in the cages.
Ha, I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years! I only mounted maybe a dozen pairs of Bullseyes, but I never used a shim or took even one second trying to center them – they just ended up wherever they ended up, random. Never noticed anything wrong with the function. Can you say what might go wrong when the 6 mm pulleys are off-center on the 5 mm bolts? It can only be off by 0.5 mm, so I'm guessing the answer is "not much".

Mark B in Seattle

Last edited by bulgie; 09-29-20 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-29-20, 12:21 AM
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Does anyone market white or grey wheels? Victory just doesn't look right with black wheels.
Tacx has some versions that are grey. I use them (model T4020) as replacements on all of my RDs.
Likes For Choke:
Old 09-29-20, 02:21 AM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Ha, I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years! I only mounted maybe a dozen pairs of Bullseyes, but I never used a shim or took even one second trying to center them – they just ended up wherever they ended up, random. Never noticed anything wrong with the function. Can you say what might go wrong when the 6 mm pulleys are off-center on the 5 mm bolts? It can only be off by 0.5 mm, so I'm guessing the answer is "not much".
Mark B in Seattle
I took mad honk's "centering" comment to mean getting the same number of tiny washers on each side of each pulley(?).
That's what I found hard to do on any derailer that was bolted in place and/or with the chain in place. It was horrible!
Old 09-29-20, 03:38 AM
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I took mad honk's "centering" comment to mean getting the same number of tiny washers on each side of each pulley(?).
That's what I found hard to do on any derailer that was bolted in place and/or with the chain in place. It was horrible!
Well I used only one (thick) washer on either side of the Bullseye pulley, but it's still worth taking the chain out for mounting the pulleys. I have done it both ways (chain in place and chain removed), and I find it plenty do-able either way. The trick is, with bolt inserted through the outer cage and the inner cage swung out of the way, put washer-pulley washer onto the bolt, then swing the inner cage back into position to thread in the bolt. Lemon squeezy, and Bob's yer uncle. With chain in, you have to hold the whole cage rotated a bit to take the tension off the chain until both bolts are in.

-mb
Old 09-29-20, 02:18 PM

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
So I finally have my computer back and working so I can post some pics.
These are the original pulleys from a read derailleur along with the pulleys from Bulls Eye, and from Chasertech . Cost of Campy is unobtainium. Cost of Bulls Eye on vintage sites is $50. And the cost of Chaser tech is less than $20 from their web site or on E-bay. You must specify 10 tooth and 5mm to get the diameter right and the correct set of spacers. HTH, smiles, MH

Original pulleys with steel sleeves and bronze bushing material. These are thicker than the replacement parts and only the oil cap goes on either side of the pulleys bushing is 5mm in id

Bulls Eye replacement pulleys 6 mm id and spacer washers to get the right spacing for the chain clearance. The washers are 6mm id

Chaser tech replacement pulleys 7mm bearing id with brass shims for 5mm id. Washers are 5mm to shim out the chain clearance