Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Internal cabling

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-23, 04:47 AM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
it was an internal decision for external designs.
Old 02-27-23, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
My Colnago C-RS rim brake frames with Campy Chorus 12 had internal cable routing that was truly difficult to deal with. I fixed that with SRAM AXS wireless. It can be done with only the shifters and derailleurs, but I wanted a 10-36 cassette, so I changed the free hub body too. I was already using SRAM flat top chains. I sold both only a few months later and moved on to disc frames.

I've got two disc brake bikes with integrated bar/stems and all internal hoses. There are no cables with SRAM AXS. Only the rear brake hose routes through the frame and it was easy to do. I cut the hose ends off at the calipers, routed the hoses through the bar/stem first, then through the head tube. The front brake hose is inserted directly into the side of the steering tube and comes out the fork blade. Nothing to it.
Old 02-27-23, 08:47 AM
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
No. I said you might have to come up with some stops. Duct tape will keep that housing in place along the tubes just fine.
I'm pretty sure Problem Solvers has cable stop adapters.

For those who asked where the poll was, I looked at over 10 pages of my own messages and think I may have not replied to the thread about it. So I don't know if I can find it. I can only recall being disgusted by the results of the poll and the comments. I believed at the time people were ignoring the consequences. From the post I read about the mechanic I guess I was likely right.
Old 02-27-23, 10:06 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
Thanks for letting us know you are still confident in your position. What's your take on disc brakes?
Old 02-27-23, 10:44 AM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
LarrySellerz might have an opinion on this.
Old 02-27-23, 12:27 PM
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Thanks for letting us know you are still confident in your position. What's your take on disc brakes?
My opinion is both disc and rim brakes are acceptable. I hope you're not trying to imply that I'm behind the times and won't accept new tech. But some of it just seems a bit weird like seeing someone at the Olympics walk with his BMX bike because his carbon fork broke. So yeah, I like aluminum.

Regarding disc brakes, I got used to mine on my gravel bike even though they're mechanical. I prefer mechanical even though hydraulics are preferred. This is because I'd rather use mineral oil for environmental reasons but that can freeze in the winter.

It might sound odd to like rim brakes but I think there's something cool about the smooth swoosh sound when braking with Jaguar brake pads. V-brakes and mechanical disc brakes might be around the same performance in usual circumstances anyway. I also prefer the feel through the brake levers with V-brakes. Although I read Shimano changed the feel of disc brake levers, the last time I tried hydraulic brake levers in stores I found it icky.

Yeah, rim brakes, aluminum, chainguards and external cabling. And eventually I'd like a bike with 27.5x2.4" tires (or 2.35" like the Schwalbe Marathon). I also prefer hybrids to mountain bikes and road bikes.

Last edited by hybridbkrdr; 02-27-23 at 12:31 PM.