Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Question for 20+ mph avg commuters

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Question for 20+ mph avg commuters

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 02:50 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
20mph might be a moving average speed; my cyclocomputer shuts itself off after a few seconds of inactivity, so time that I am stopped at a light is not counted in the time that goes into the distance/time=speed that is reported as my average.
Distance slowing down to a stop and distance getting back up to speed will wallop your moving average though.

Last edited by HardyWeinberg; 05-31-18 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,540 Times in 3,372 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
How about 20 MPD, as in Day?
That's my goal for the year.

And, May 30 is day 150, and I'm up to 3391 miles, or 22.6 miles per day average

With most of it being commuting, errands, and utility cycling of one sort or another. I will admit that the rides towing 400 pounds or so... the average was significantly less than 20 MPH.

I do need to work on my speed a bit. I have done half-commutes in the range of 17 or 18 MPH, but those are pushing pretty hard. Still, I typically ride much slower for my return trips.

My typical daily ride is 30 to 40 miles, with a couple of stops.

I think a 7 mile (one-way) commute would be a lot easier to keep the speed over 20 MPH, but I still might be pretty drained when I got to the destination. My goal is to still be able to walk when I get off the bike.
Old 05-30-18, 03:03 PM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Limpingbass
Thank you all for replying! My lack of posts make me ineligible to reply with quotes so I will just write here.

It matches my experience that it's very hard to go over 15 mph commuting into a city. But Hypno toad's estimated average of 300w ?? wow

I will stop worrying about average speed. Just enjoy the ride.
The wind-assist was likely worth 162w

(don't believe Strava power est, my indoor trainer has power and 300w for over 20 minutes would be MUCH higher than anything I've ever recorded)
Old 05-30-18, 03:35 PM

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
When I say I commute at 20mph, I'm talking about cruising speed, which is different from average speed.

I cruise ~20mph
I average ~17-18mph depending on stoplights warm up/cooldown, etc...

I make Strava segments so I can see my average speed, and how it changes over the season (and year to year).
From this morning: 1.26 miles at 21.5mph. My average speed for the commute was 17.7 avg

Thank you all for replying!
I will stop worrying about average speed. Just enjoy the ride.
Good idea. Personally I take as many detours through parks and gravel roads as I can on my commute. While I like to go fast, I also like to enjoy the ride.
Old 05-30-18, 05:41 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
20mph is not possible in the city.

For over a decade I had over a 40 mile RT commute. When I was at my peak, a 20mph RT average on one of my fast bikes was a disappointment though I had to work hard for it. However, that ride also had a 19 mile stretch with no stoplights, signs, or turns to slow me down and it was pretty flat.

I live in Portland now. Even if I'm only going a couple miles and it's downhill, I never get anywhere near 20 -- I'm lucky to break 16. It's just not possible with all the turns, signs, etc.
Old 05-30-18, 06:12 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,457 Times in 2,562 Posts
Also things such as wind direction and hills have a lot to do with speed averages....20+++ mph averages are only possible on internet forums and not in the real world.

The truth has never been spoken so succinctly.
20++mph averages are only possible on internet forums and not in the real world.

Look -- I shaved off one "+" and set a new world record for succinct truthiness!
Old 05-30-18, 06:37 PM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Today`s ride was clocked at 25.8 kph (16.3 mph), which was a tad faster than yesterday's 15.7 mph. I'd say my cruising speed was consistently between 28--32 kph, but tons of stop lights and stop signs, which I couldn't blow through at speed, but maybe rolling through them at 15 kph. Still, those stops and slow downs lowered the average by quite a few km's. Total round trip distance of 40 km.
Old 05-30-18, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,540 Times in 3,372 Posts
I certainly wouldn't be one to say that anything is "impossible".

Here I am 50+

Hard to say what a strong 20 or 30 year old could do.

I think I could pretty easily hold 20 MPH through town for 5 miles or so, depending on routes.

Averaging that for 20 miles would be tough for me, but no doubt there would be some people who can do it.

Hmmm

Headed through town, many of my rides have a few stops and lights, but I think I often average maybe one stop/light every 2-3 miles.

Still, a few places are tricky to negotiate at high speed. I don't like going much over 15 or so on the bike paths, and slow a lot for pedestrians. But, even with that, there are a few places where one can fly on the bike paths.

Anyway, one can survive a few accelerations, if one cruises at maybe 2 MPH higher than one's target.

Portland commutes are unique... I don't think I've kept it to 20 MPH there either, but Downtown, west side is lower than just about anything around there, with a lot of good arterials with bike lanes feeding the downtown area. So, I could imagine holding 30 MPH heading downtown , then 5 MPH for the return trip Of course, the traffic lights, bus lanes, and tram lanes are a nightmare, so I can pretty easily keep up with the lights (coasting) heading into town, but they're a pain climbing back out.
Old 05-30-18, 10:44 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Traffic and intersections are absolute murder. I will have average moving speeds, over fairly long distances, of 22-24mph, but having to come to a complete stop every half/quarter/eighth of a mile will readily bring that ride's average waaaayyyy down.

Now if the greenway started right by your house and ended right where you worked... sure.
Old 05-31-18, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Here I am 50+

I think I could pretty easily hold 20 MPH through town for 5 miles or so, depending on routes.

Averaging that for 20 miles would be tough for me, but no doubt there would be some people who can do it.

Hmmm

Headed through town, many of my rides have a few stops and lights, but I think I often average maybe one stop/light every 2-3 miles.

Still, a few places are tricky to negotiate at high speed. I don't like going much over 15 or so on the bike paths, and slow a lot for pedestrians. But, even with that, there are a few places where one can fly on the bike paths.

Anyway, one can survive a few accelerations, if one cruises at maybe 2 MPH higher than one's target.

Portland commutes are unique... I don't think I've kept it to 20 MPH there either, but Downtown, west side is lower than just about anything around there, with a lot of good arterials with bike lanes feeding the downtown area. So, I could imagine holding 30 MPH heading downtown , then 5 MPH for the return trip Of course, the traffic lights, bus lanes, and tram lanes are a nightmare, so I can pretty easily keep up with the lights (coasting) heading into town, but they're a pain climbing back out.

a stop at every 2-3 miles! I probably had 5 lights in a mile haha
Old 05-31-18, 04:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Here I am 50+

Hmmm

Originally Posted by banerjek
20mph is not possible in the city.

For over a decade I had over a 40 mile RT commute. When I was at my peak, a 20mph RT average on one of my fast bikes was a disappointment though I had to work hard for it. However, that ride also had a 19 mile stretch with no stoplights, signs, or turns to slow me down and it was pretty flat.

I live in Portland now. Even if I'm only going a couple miles and it's downhill, I never get anywhere near 20 -- I'm lucky to break 16. It's just not possible with all the turns, signs, etc.
Agreed, that's been my experience.
Old 05-31-18, 05:19 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Traffic and intersections are absolute murder. I will have average moving speeds, over fairly long distances, of 22-24mph, but having to come to a complete stop every half/quarter/eighth of a mile will readily bring that ride's average waaaayyyy down.
Try living in the middle of the most dense congested metropolitan areas in the nation. My routes are so congested I don't even bother with the reading except to extrapolate my own version of what I think is a good average time.

Now if the greenway started right by your house and ended right where you worked... sure.
I have to first travel 8 miles to get to the nearest 7 mile stretch of bike path. Even there I still have to slow down to watch for pedestrian/runners/and the curious spaced-out greeway walkers.
Old 05-31-18, 07:18 AM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by KraneXL
I have to first travel 8 miles to get to the nearest 7 mile stretch of bike path. Even there I still have to slow down to watch for pedestrian/runners/and the curious spaced-out greeway walkers.
This quote reminds me how good we have it in Minneapolis, our greenways are amazing for commuting. Weekends can still be a s..tshow with the space-out greenway users, but for rush hour, it's like a bike freeway. In fact, the Cedar Lake Trail is America's first bike freeway. I frequently use the the Cedar Trail or Midtown Greenway to get to club rides Wednesdays after work, I can safely hold speeds over 20 mph, and pick up some fast commuters as drafting partners along the way.
Old 05-31-18, 07:27 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
This quote reminds me how good we have it in Minneapolis, our greenways are amazing for commuting. Weekends can still be a s..tshow with the space-out greenway users, but for rush hour, it's like a bike freeway. In fact, the Cedar Lake Trail is America's first bike freeway. I frequently use the the Cedar Trail or Midtown Greenway to get to club rides Wednesdays after work, I can safely hold speeds over 20 mph, and pick up some fast commuters as drafting partners along the way.
Same with the American River Trail in Sacramento. It’s a bike highway during the week but an absolute zoo on the weekend.
Old 05-31-18, 07:57 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,606 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by josephjhaney
Below is a screenshot of my fastest this year- and I was booking.
impressive, indeed!
Old 05-31-18, 08:09 AM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Or, I don't even have a bike computer or track the commute. I just enjoy the ride.
Old 05-31-18, 08:34 AM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Or, I don't even have a bike computer or track the commute. I just enjoy the ride.
What!? That's crazy talk.
Old 05-31-18, 08:42 AM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
What!? That's crazy talk.
Sometimes I do miles for the mt bike rides, and tours as well. So not really crazy. I have a wall calendar, every ride get a R, every commute gets a C, total them up at the end of the year. A " ride" for me is at least an hour on the bike.
Old 05-31-18, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
impressive, indeed!

Thanks! I'm not in great shape, but putting in 40 miles a day should get me there quicker than sitting in a car would.

Joe
Old 05-31-18, 09:58 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,580 Posts
Maybe it's because I'm newer to BikeForums than some, but who actually claims to commute at a 20+ MPH average? As in, names.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-31-18, 11:19 AM

Scott, That is just it - we don't average 20mph with stops, we cruise at 20mph+. The semantics make a large difference. I cruise around 20, but my averages are about 2-3mph below my cruising speed.

Here is an example I found from my 3 commutes Tuesday. Average speeds of 17.5, 16.7, 20.2mph (the last one for ~40 miles)
Lap 1 - morning commute. average 17.7. Cruising around 20.
Lap 2 - afternoon commute with a stop. I was way ahead of schedule, so took it pretty easy the last couple of miles.
Lap 3 - Evening commute. I was in the mood for a workout and a hammer fest. Cruising speed was well over 20 on the way home. (yeah, technically the 3rd commute averaged over 20 I guess, but 17-18 is more typical).

I do find it odd here when people can't imagine someone else's commute may have different parameters than theirs. Its a big would out there guys...

Last edited by chas58; 05-31-18 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-31-18, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Maybe it's because I'm newer to BikeForums...
LOL, that was a good one.
Old 05-31-18, 12:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Maybe it's because I'm newer to BikeForums than some, but who actually claims to commute at a 20+ MPH average? As in, names.
Hmm I don't remember the names but when I frequented the forum a lot more often as a lurker, I remember seeing them. There was a guy who posted videos of him passing triathletes in his commuter bike but I don't think he is around any more. Hypno toad is right here in this thread.
Old 05-31-18, 12:28 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,457 Times in 2,562 Posts
Hmm I don't remember the names but when I frequented the forum a lot more often as a lurker, I remember seeing them. There was a guy who posted videos of him passing triathletes in his commuter bike but I don't think he is around any more. Hypno toad is right here in this thread.
I think you might mean JoeyBike (his BF tagline is "20+mph Commuter"). As I recall, when he was on his "Geek Hunts", he was not commuting, but specifically riding out on the course where "triathletes" often train (but I'm sure on the same bike he would commute with, Surly LHT or CrossCheck I think). Mostly he would pass them, a few he would not pass, or not be able to stay past; those few are probably real triathletes, their equipment and clothing are making more of a significant difference for them, plus they're probably generally stronger riders. The majority of the 'geeks' were just regular joes who are not especially strong riders, but were convinced to buy tri bikes and spandex.

I'm sure JoeyBike is a strong rider himself, if he's so successful on his geek-hunts. Maybe his commuting situation really does allow 20+mph true average, maybe he also just means 20+mph typical/cruising speed.
Old 05-31-18, 12:42 PM
meh

Hey, wait... what'd I do?

I did post about passing a TT rider on a commuter bike (no video). But I posted (or at least I should've posted), TT rider could have been warming up, cooling down, recovering, getting used to a new bike .... I ride fast on my Globe Daily, but not fast enough to pass a strong rider on a TT bike, or a good road bike. I can hold onto a B-group club ride with my Globe, but only on the flat roads and only hold on, not take a pull.

Footnote: I'm not a typically rider, I'm into endurance gravel riding; like I did an unsupported, solo, 140-mile gravel ride on a fatbike ... just for fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.