Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

helmet mirrors

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

helmet mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 10:31 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
...these guys want to scare you, not kill you. .
Incorrect.
Old 04-05-12, 10:55 AM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
Incorrect.
Motorists who are so psychotic that they'll literally try to run over you are so rare that few people here will encounter one (which is good since odds of getting killed in such situations are high)

The method of moving in on them is still sound as it gives you space to work with. Mirrors would be very useful in such circumstances because you could see they were aimed at you. You're still more likely to get hit by trailer or piece of equipment wider than the vehicle towing it as some drivers are not cognizant of the need to account for things that are wider than their hood.
Old 04-05-12, 11:04 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Example of things I found on the side of the road. Most likely was thrown at other cyclists with no help from their mirrors what so ever. Evident by a little bit of blood at the other end it seems like the mirror blocked their view so they didn't see this coming.
Old 04-05-12, 11:36 AM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Example of things I found on the side of the road. Most likely was thrown at other cyclists with no help from their mirrors what so ever. Evident by a little bit of blood at the other end it seems like the mirror blocked their view so they didn't see this coming.
There are some miscreants out there to be certain (hopefully what appeared to be blood was remnants of paint, tranny fluid, or something of that ilk. I've had garbage (literally), M-80's, and other crap thrown at me though this hasn't happened to me for a long time. Even a paper cup filled with water is very dangerous if thrown at speed.

You can find all kinds of weird stuff on the side of the road -- I've found tools, scissors, knives, cell phones. Favorite thing to find so far was $500 (suspect it was drug money as I was more than 8 miles from the nearest town and nowhere near anyplace anyone had business walking.
Old 04-05-12, 11:44 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boy you really have so kind of a complex or something. SMH I hope yor kidding, really!!
Old 04-05-12, 12:34 PM
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use one of the (Take-a-look?) mirrors that mount on my glasses. I ride as much solo (and much in traffic) as I do in groups where it may be less helpful and I find it handy for my constant scan of what's going on around me. I mean, when I drive a car, I check the mirrors every few seconds, so why the hell shouldn't I when I'm riding something WITHOUT a steel cage around me on the same roads? I have referred to it as my dork flag but ultimately, I'm not going to get too upset that I may look as silly to someone else as that person may happen to look to me (know what I mean?)...it doesn't matter. My observations on the mirror I use are:

* easy to add it to a quick eye scan motion which for me is simpler than turning my head...and safer, I'd think...though quite fractionally so
* with it mounted to my glasses vs handlebar or helmet the position relative to my eye is constant, so I get a good rear view scan in any position on the bike (really)
* In sketchy traffic situations, the mirror has been very helpful in helping me know when & how to communicate with approaching drivers from behind (sometimes to appropriately claim a safe part of the lane, others to get the hell out of the way because grandpa or bubba is barreling up & talking on the cel phone).
* I'm so used to using it that now I feel like I'm missing some critical information (I guess, like driving a car with no mirrors) when I ride without it.

It's not essential, but for me it's far more helpful than it is detrimental to my reputation for looking like a dork to an elite few riders!
Old 04-05-12, 12:43 PM
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by fiataccompli
I have referred to it as my dork flag
You obviously don't ride recumbents as many of them fly an actual dork flag on a 6' mast for visibility....
Old 04-05-12, 12:49 PM
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah, I guess that means i just have dork flag envy!
Old 04-05-12, 01:27 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All this talk of 'hearing' your surroundings is moot if you read the volumes of flame in the iPod threads in this forum. I am from the school of turn and look, always be aware, plan ahead, think of contingent scenarios. Sounds like a lot of work, but it is second nature. Not that I don't trust mirrors, but I would turn to look to verify what I saw in the mirror. I do this in my car, you know, blind spots - they truly exist.

Mirrors may help some, and they may even help me. I have considered trying one, but always find other stuff to buy.
Old 04-05-12, 02:32 PM
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by RTDub
All this talk of 'hearing' your surroundings is moot if you read the volumes of flame in the iPod threads in this forum. I am from the school of turn and look, always be aware, plan ahead, think of contingent scenarios. Sounds like a lot of work, but it is second nature. Not that I don't trust mirrors, but I would turn to look to verify what I saw in the mirror. I do this in my car, you know, blind spots - they truly exist.
Actually, they don't exist with a properly mounted eyeglasses or helmet mirror because you can turn your head and see things at any angle, including angles that you can't really turn your head to see. Notable exceptions include having bright sun/lights in your eyes or behind you -- that completely screws up the ability to identify individual objects as well as distance perception.

I find them useful for planning contingent scenarios. For example, on a 40mph+ descent, you don't want to turn your head to see what's coming up from behind and you can't hear due to the wind noise. But being able to see a car coming up that's obviously going to try to pass you before that next bend is a big plus.

I frequently use hand signals to tell people coming from behind what I want them to do (i.e. go ahead and pass me or chill for a bit) or what I intend to do. I find that many motorists appreciate this and levels of compliance with my requests are very high.
Old 04-05-12, 07:07 PM

Bikes: Devinci Milano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went looking for mirrors that attach to my glasses today. Couldn't find any locally. I found the helmet ones. Velcro sounds good.
I ride in traffic ~ need a mirror.
There is obviously two schools of thought. They may be age related.
Old 04-05-12, 07:12 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy2302
I went looking for mirrors that attach to my glasses today. Couldn't find any locally. I found the helmet ones. Velcro sounds good.
Tried them all: Use this one:
https://www.messengermirror.com/

Old 04-05-12, 07:26 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Argentin (X-4) Colnago Super, +3 misc Bianchi Corsa Bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andy2302
i take the helmet ones and cut the end off then add a piece of solid copper wire on it and tape it to my glasses ....the copper wire bends to every angle lasts 5-6 years