Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My frame is in pieces...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My frame is in pieces...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 04:30 PM
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bt
In an effort to make this a learning experience, I recommend you pay for shipping as well.
Would a 62cm frame fit you?
Old 12-16-14, 04:42 PM
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
It seems to me that your standards are a bit relaxed. How would you feel if the builder handed you a contract that contained the disclaimers that I have bolded above as you were signing the check to him? Would you go ahead with the order?
Of course that's not on the contract, that's the worst case scenario. What kind of builder thinks they are building for the worst case scenario? Most people buying custom have tried out similar bike by the builder, or of similar construction and have pretty good idea what they are getting into. My whole point is that while a bleeding edge carbon bike from a big bike maker may have some technical advantages, the custom buyers are generally targeting different goals. People get great bikes from custom builders. Its not like custom is all ratty crap and only Trek and Giant can make a decent bike. If people weren't consistently satisfied with what they get, you wouldn't see so many custom builders out there cranking out so many bikes. The custom route is obviously working out just fine or a lot of people.
Old 12-16-14, 04:53 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
Would a 62cm frame fit you?
like a glove
Old 12-16-14, 05:00 PM
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bt
like a glove
go buy one then.

I haven't found a stock frame that was close, other than Storck's Fascenario(even that wasn't perfect). If this one fits me like it should, you would have to kill me to get it.
Old 12-16-14, 05:13 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
go buy one then.

I haven't found a stock frame that was close, other than Storck's Fascenario(even that wasn't perfect). If this one fits me like it should, you would have to kill me to get it.
I have this Storck Scentron Road Electronic Bike Frame - 2012 | Competitive Cyclist in a 59.

fits very well.

and this one https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ri...RID0083-BLAA-S in what they call a large or 57.

Last edited by bt; 12-16-14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-16-14, 05:19 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bt
so happy for you.

A few years in a row I spoke with Marcus before riding what he brought me. I love the guy for remembering me every year. He is one of the few that builds a bike for tall, but thin cyclists.
Old 12-16-14, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Let's clear the air a bit. No flame war unless you want to disparage the truth. Unless you need a custom geometry...you implied you are a big guy with long legs and short torso...I am the same...big guy with long legs and short torso....I don't need a custom geometry with the thousands of different geometries out there...and neither do you or the plethora of others who seek a custom geometry because they think they need to. Shack needs a custom geometry but you and me don't. Further, and this plays into riders understanding the difference between a good frame versus bad, most don't even know what their best geometry is and custom frame builders who try to assist in this effort I would say mostly get it wrong. Lots of custom bikes on the road with riders in a goofy position and riser stem with big stack of spacers.

And let's say your builder knows what he is doing...or at least fabricate a bike that won't fail. But take a moment and contrast your builder to Specialized and Trek who have had carbon failures in the field. Between Specialized and Trek, they are encyclopedic about frame fabrication and stress/strain and manufacturing variation. And yet in mass production they have had failures which they tried to eliminate by recalls of certain bike models. This is after rigorous testing, each frame being prototyped...sometimes with multiple designs for each frame size and specific geometry and the highest scrutiny of quality control. The highest level of process control and yet failures seep into the field and people get hurt. So no, I don't think much of boutique builders. Compared to large staffs of engineers that comprise all the big bike brands, boutique guys are clueless. Your bike...I am sorry but it will be the stone age of carbon with straight sections. Hopefully your builder will assemble it and it won't fail. The pedigree of your frame tubes is meaningless. It doesn't matter if each tube was made of gold. What matters is the modulus of flex in differential planes and uniform tubes don't have one. Further there isn't a PhD in engineering that is smart enough to predict how a hodgepodge of the best 'uniform' tubing on the planet will perform together. You may recall the long thread a while back about the guy who had a custom Ti bike made from one of the top guys...a very anal guy who obviously didn't understand the 'art' or 'variation' of individual frame building...and he was hugely disappointed in the frame. It rode much stiffer than he wanted. This was after a long discussion including in writing what he wanted. Why did this occur? Because when a custom geometry is constructed, it is unique to a given rider and virtually impossible to nail ride and handling characteristics...even with a top builder like in the case of the Ti builder. This is why Specialized and Trek even with all their computer aided design and FEA and staff of engineers still have prototype frames to a specific geometry...one or multiple for each frame size, and then ride, test and change. Its iterative. There is no way a boutique guy could stay in business with this rigor but the only way the best ride and handling performance bike can created.

Above goes right over the head of anybody who wants or feel they need a custom frame. A custom frame isn't a custom watch or even a flower arrangement.

Even top companies get it wrong btw...all the time. It could be argued that when Spesh made the SL3 Tarmac a few years back after winning the TdF on the SL2...pro feedback was to stiffen the bike which they did in spades. They made it too stiff. This is after making prototypes specific to a 'known' geometry and testing and re-testing. They responded to this feedback which resulted in the award winning SL4 bike which also has won the TdF and the now SL5 bike which revises frame bending for small and big frame sizes to make the riding experience more equivalent for a larger cross section of riders....small riders and big rider bike performance was more of a compromise in previous years. This is based upon the best designers in the world benefitting from a lot of computer analysis, strain gauging and road load testing and timing bikes through handling courses. This cannot be sustained with boutique builders...not even on the same planet. A boutique guy can't build 5 to 10 bikes to produce a given model like a top brand can. Spesh I will add got it wrong again. The SL2 Roubaix is perhaps the most popular carbon bike ever sold. It was a friendly riding bike that everybody but top racers loved. No it didn't have the punch of a stiffer Tarmac however. Enter the SL3 Roubaix which is the best bike I have ridden. A stiff but not unrelentingly so stiff bike that is both fast but minimizes fatigue on long rides. Well, Spesh in their wisdom took what I would consider almost a perfect bike if there is such a thing and made it as stiff as a Tarmac. Endurance geometry but race stiffness. An outcry ensued. Magazine testers and owners don't know what to make of the bike...and still don't....which has a relatively rough ride compared to previous versions. So basically Spesh with all their R&D screwed the pooch with the Roubaix SL4. The Roubaix to buy if you can't find a used SL3 will be the SL5. Mark my words. They will improve vertical compliancy and restore the friendly nature of the bike for the demographic it was intended for just like they tuned the ride of the Tarmac SL3 to create perhaps the most popular and winning race bike of all time.

So if the best and the brightest get it wrong including Microsoft which they do and in fact frequently, then the guy who started to build stuff in their garage with no comparable data base doesn't have a chance. Oh they may hit the lottery once in a while but a good chance they won't.

Good luck.
I hope the bike turns out awesome...however the above post does make some excellent points....
Old 12-16-14, 06:07 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WHOOOSSHHH...
I hope the bike turns out awesome...however the above post does make some excellent points....
He makes great points, but he doesn't seem to realize that what works for the strongest racers in the world, is not what a cyclist like me needs.

I'm happy to give up a pound to get a better fit.
Old 12-16-14, 06:37 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He makes great points, but he doesn't seem to realize that what works for the strongest racers in the world, is not what a cyclist like me needs.

I'm happy to give up a pound to get a better fit.
I'm glad you recovered from your accident. Looking forward to your build!!
Old 12-16-14, 07:13 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WHOOOSSHHH...
I'm glad you recovered from your accident. Looking forward to your build!!
I just had a minor problem. I took a right turn and the slight bump just sent me to the pavement. My bike is fine, but my elbow has a new mark, and my hip has a new bump on it.

Nothing major, but damn....
Old 12-16-14, 07:42 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Reopened.
Old 12-16-14, 07:47 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,715 Times in 2,533 Posts
my understanding is that Enve will make custom tubes, but I've never tested that theory.
Old 12-16-14, 07:51 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dannihilator
Reopened.
Thank you.
Old 12-16-14, 08:30 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dannihilator
Reopened.
Well done DAN!
Old 12-17-14, 12:46 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen
my understanding is that Enve will make custom tubes, but I've never tested that theory.
They do make tubes to the builder's specs, and headtubes are made to order size wise.
Old 12-17-14, 07:14 AM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
go buy one then.

What is your stack, reach, sta and hta target for your build?
Do you know? 62cm is too vague for a custom build.
Old 12-17-14, 07:48 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
62cm is too vague for a custom build.
yes I know, but I don't care to get into with you. Your have you opinion, but I know what I need, and I have no desire to validate it to you. You are wrong, and your opinion couldn't possibly mean less to me.
Old 12-17-14, 09:04 AM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
yes I know, but I don't care to get into with you. Your have you opinion, but I know what I need, and I have no desire to validate it to you. You are wrong, and your opinion couldn't possibly mean less to me.
No I am right but I haven't perhaps focused on the tone that many base their buying decision upon...that of emotion. So I want to be clear that I wish you well BoSox. Was just reviewing the myriad of pitfalls of doing what you are doing and btw why 99.9% of all buyers don't. They don't necessarily know better but a so called custom frame is many times inferior to a production frame in terms of durability and or dimensional fit to the rider. This is vastly misunderstood and why it is worthy of discussion.

As to discussing the numbers of your fit. The reason why you don't share them is because I fully understand the relationship of a rider's proportions to frame tube lengths and angles and you don't. Your generic reference of a given frame size is like defining a person by the color of their eyes. Many manufacturers don't even use the same convention of what that dimension means...center to center like Look and Pinarello versus center to top like most.

So want to be clear what is going on here. Those that are comfortable with their opinion are never loathe to have a good discussion...the essence of the forum in fact. Further clouding of the truth is...if you went to four different custom manufactures and told them to fit you, you would end of with four different frame sizes and geometries.

Again, I want to emphasize I wish you well BoSox with your build.
Old 12-17-14, 09:24 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The reason why you don't share them is because I fully understand the relationship of a rider's proportions to frame tube lengths and angles and you don't.
incorrect.

I know exactly what I need, and how it all works, but have no desire to try to justify or explain it to you.
Old 12-17-14, 09:35 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
No I am right but I haven't perhaps focused on the tone that many base their buying decision upon...that of emotion. So I want to be clear that I wish you well BoSox. Was just reviewing the myriad of pitfalls of doing what you are doing and btw why 99.9% of all buyers don't. They don't necessarily know better but a so called custom frame is many times inferior to a production frame in terms of durability and or dimensional fit to the rider. This is vastly misunderstood and why it is worthy of discussion.

As to discussing the numbers of your fit. The reason why you don't share them is because I fully understand the relationship of a rider's proportions to frame tube lengths and angles and you don't. Your generic reference of a given frame size is like defining a person by the color of their eyes. Many manufacturers don't even use the same convention of what that dimension means...center to center like Look and Pinarello versus center to top like most.

So want to be clear what is going on here. Those that are comfortable with their opinion are never loathe to have a good discussion...the essence of the forum in fact. Further clouding of the truth is...if you went to four different custom manufactures and told them to fit you, you would end of with four different frame sizes and geometries.

Again, I want to emphasize I wish you well BoSox with your build.
Man, you should really start your own thread on the dangers and pitfalls of going custom instead of totally derailing someone's thread.
Old 12-17-14, 09:36 AM

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale Criterium SR500

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It sounds like my LBS got off easy. They just put me on one, watched me ride it and moved the seat up.
Old 12-17-14, 09:57 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Man, you should really start your own thread on the dangers and pitfalls of going custom instead of totally derailing someone's thread.
I understand you are not seeing what you want to see. But exactly where was it going that it has been derailed from? With all due respect to your opinion, what do you think should have been contributed that hasn't because of the discussion regarding the limitations of custom frame building with CF?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-17-14, 09:58 AM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
I am not derailing the thread RJM. You are trolling. You are not participating in discussion. You have nothing to contribute. So all you can do is criticize. Is this too difficult to understand...even for you?
Old 12-17-14, 09:59 AM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 68venable
It sounds like my LBS got off easy. They just put me on one, watched me ride it and moved the seat up.
How the majority of fits go. Its called the dartboard fit.
Old 12-17-14, 10:02 AM

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale Criterium SR500

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How the majority of fits go. Its called the dartboard fit.
In the construction industry, we call it "looks good from my house".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.