Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1975 Raleigh Competition Project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1975 Raleigh Competition Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 11:54 AM

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts
Different year I know but I got mine quite a few years back and knew very little about bikes, this Classic and Vintage group was so helpful. It had terrible rust (and it may still even ) I had it powder coated and the badly rusted areas had a came out all pitted and textured looking. I sprayed the inside with a rust inhibitor and rode it as my main bike for many years. I even commuted on it for a couple years (on Ruffy Tuffy 700x28) Great frames, super smooth and fast. Now just one bike of my little stable of bikes, it has been set up for easy cruising to the coffee shop. Even with the rust and lost OG paint, I still like it and will probably keep it for a long time. Enjoy!

as bought :

V.1

V.2
Old 01-27-24, 02:29 PM

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by cjefferds
I’m running suntour barcons and cable stop clamp on my ‘73 Comp.
Nice and clean looking. I found a Huret cable stop clamp online so I'll set them up just the same.

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Is this now the "show off you Raleigh Competition" thread? Great, here's my 1980 at about 50% complete.
I really like this colour. Come to think of it, I see more Competition GS bikes around here than the earlier bikes.

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Heck, I can (now) play this game! Acquired yesterday. I almost walked away, as it wasn't in as nice condition as it appeared in the FS listing. Chrome on the forks looked well beyond saving. But a deal was stuck anyway. Stem (Nitto Hi-Crown/I-beam) and (maybe) bars seem to be only non-original bits. Brooks Pro is in very nice shape. Now completely torn down, cleaning and polishing has commenced.

Did the aluminum-foil-&-water chrome treatment on one of the fork legs and I have to say I'm stunned by how well it worked. Still pitting, but looks good enough for me. And at least the chrome on the stays isn't as bad. Wondering about clear-coating to keep the rust at bay...

Nice work - I'm doing the same treatment for one fork leg and simichrome on the other to see if there's a big difference.
Old 01-27-24, 05:21 PM

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
Nice work - I'm doing the same treatment for one fork leg and simichrome on the other to see if there's a big difference.
Give a report when you're done with the test! Unfortunately the other leg didn't come out as well as the first with the tin-foil, but it's OK. TBH, it's probably just over the line of salvageable, but I'll live with it. Probably clear-coat to keep it from deteriorating more.
Old 04-22-24, 06:45 AM

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Done deal - Raleigh Competition w/6-speed

Thought I'd update this thread with the final build, minus toe clips and red straps. Thanks to pastorbobnlnh for the Atom 77 Compact 6-speed freewheel, it runs beautifully and smooth. I can barely hear the pawls. Now shifting well with the Huret Duopar derailleur, courtesy again of Bob.

One thing I've got to switch out is the front derailleur, which won't get the chain down to the inner granny; I'll need to find a Suntour or something silver best suited for this triple.

Quick recap:

Cleaned up the rust on the top tube, re-sprayed in black, new decals from Lloyd's in the UK
Suntour bar end shifters
Wolber Super Champion 27 x 1 1/4 with Panaracer tires (this wheelset came off a donor bike - the 700c tubulars the Raleigh came with were toast)
Maillard hubs, cleaned and new bearings
Fitted an Atom Compact 6-speed freewheel, basically NOS, freshly serviced by Pastor Bob
New KS brake pads (whoa do they work - a bit too well!)
TA triple crank (French threaded, so I found some Lyotard pedals to go with it, freshly serviced)

Now this bike has the gearing to tackle some big hills to the north of the city and the brakes to come back down...

Old 04-22-24, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Give a report when you're done with the test! Unfortunately the other leg didn't come out as well as the first with the tin-foil, but it's OK. TBH, it's probably just over the line of salvageable, but I'll live with it. Probably clear-coat to keep it from deteriorating more.
Sorry I missed this. The regular chrome stuff worked quite well, and mine is in decent shape. Naturally the fancy stuff made it a little brighter, but for my purposes the usual methods were OK.
Old 04-22-24, 02:55 PM

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
That is one sweet build! I especially Love the TA triple but really I like everything about it. Nice job on this one.
Old 04-23-24, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pcampeau
That is one sweet build! I especially Love the TA triple but really I like everything about it. Nice job on this one.
Thanks! The crank waited a long time in my parts bin for just the right bike. Once I decided to keep the Competition (after a year or two as a fixed gear bike), it seemed like the perfect fit. Great riding frame, and now gearing for topographical variety!

Certainly the Modele 58 wheelset isn't as light as the tubulars were, but the bike is still quick and comfortable.