Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is Shimano doing?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is Shimano doing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-19, 12:22 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
OEM vs You..

3 prices: Order millions, order a carton sized quantity or order just one...
Old 03-02-19, 12:15 PM

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I don't get your point either.
You know what's wrong with circles? same thing like having an ejection seat on a helicopter, or an ovulating Grandmother, or rubber lips on a Woodpecker, or windshield wiper on a Goats arse, or, well I think you get the idea.
Old 03-02-19, 12:31 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,541 Times in 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Shimano came up with a plan to maximize its profits. it looked at what its main competitors were charging (SRAM, Campy) and decided that in certain markets (the U.S.) it could charge more.Some consumers were using globalization to access cheaper parts, which undercut U.S. retailers. Shimano is ending that access. it's called "business."
I'm not certain Shimano (japan) will make any more profit. I think possible the extra money is just going to prop up an expensive distribution model with more layers of folks wetting their beaks.
Old 03-02-19, 02:04 PM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
You know what's wrong with circles? same thing like having an ejection seat on a helicopter, or an ovulating Grandmother, or rubber lips on a Woodpecker, or windshield wiper on a Goats arse, or, well I think you get the idea.
Oh, now I get it. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-02-19, 02:20 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7674 Post(s)
Liked 3,549 Times in 1,866 Posts
Considering how long the stuff lasts .... I'd still buy Shimano. I have enough bikes already, and I don't need to upgrade any of them .... got it all done while the stuff was cheaper.

The only upgrade I'd consider would be DI2 .... and before too long I will be able to get cheap Bikes Direct bikes with the right gear on it.
Old 03-02-19, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,541 Times in 3,373 Posts
Soon we'll see more holes in Shimano's protectionist wall than Swiss Cheese.

For my personal use, I've been happy enough with barely used parts which seem to still hit below what the UK prices used to be.
Old 03-03-19, 02:01 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
You don't get the point, most Shimano components, or SRAM and Campy, are sold on new bikes, not so much on replacement parts, and even if you need a replacement part a person isn't going to spend a boatload of money to convert something over to another brand so that whatever is replaced is compatible with the rest so it works flawlessly just so they can put a thumb in Shimano's eye, if that were the case the person trying to do that would simply find a bike that doesn't have Shimano components on it, not that difficult to do.
If one buys a bike with Shimano parts on it and after a while they need/want to replace the chain or the cassette or the crank or the braking system or the cables need replacing, in the past one might have chosen a Shimano option that they purchased the parts for it online.

Now the choice one makes is to pay twice as much for parts at the LBS, or they buy online, non-Shimano components that won't have any compatibility issues(despite your spurious claims that they would).

Why are you struggling to grasp the very basic thing I have been stating here?
Old 03-03-19, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
For my personal use, I've been happy enough with barely used parts which seem to still hit below what the UK prices used to be.
Good approach - in theory. But my local bike shop owner is fully aware of the Shimano action, and thinks it is fantastic; long overdue. He also thinks the value of his entire shop inventory has now increased, Shimano or otherwise. He knows the customer options to bypass the proper supply chain have been severed.

As far as used parts, prices will increase here as well, due to competition from frugal cyclists like you and I.

Another effect: so I saw a decent looking Shimano gruppo for sale on Craigslist. But they were asking more than what would be a Chain Reaction price for new. So 3 months ago, I would have emailed them the link, and asked them to temper (lower) their price expectations, and we could make a deal. This is no longer possible, as their opportunity cost has doubled (now North American retail).

So all the way down the food chain, from the latest Dura-Ace Di2, to mangled, low-end derailleurs at bike Co-ops, the price of all components will jump. Mission accomplished. I guessing that if the price of replacement parts has jumped, so can the price of new componentry, as customers will be faced with big repair bills on 5-year old bikes. Again, mission accomplished; out with the old, and in with the new.

I'm sitting on a mountain of bike parts, so I suppose I should be happy here, but I'm not.

Last edited by Dave Mayer; 03-03-19 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 02:08 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

This is capitalism. Charge what the customer can afford. We will still find ways to keep our bikes running---or, I will. I like riding, so i will find ways to keep riding.

We had a good deal, we benefited. We will no longer have access to the good deal. We will not therefore suffer. We will be fine.

If no one buys Shimano replacements, Shimano will or will not address its prices. Microshift will or will not be more popular. Cheap Chinese Shimano knock-offs will crop up, and some will be good enough to buy. Life, and cycling, will go on.
Old 03-03-19, 02:19 PM

Hmmm

Let me check E-Bay. New Parts, large sellers.

HG-73 chain. $2.50 cheaper than the last time I stocked up. No guarantees, of course, that counterfeits aren't hitting the market.

BR-6800, $69.20. About what I've paid in the past. Of course there is a new version out.

CS-R8000 11-28, $54.95... $49.99 from Jenson USA.

We may be entering an era where the parts will be available at reasonable prices, but one will have to pick them up piecemeal. The real winners will be the shipping companies. No longer will customers get big boxes, but rather a bunch of small boxes.
Old 03-03-19, 02:35 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Good approach - in theory. But my local bike shop owner is fully aware of the Shimano action, and thinks it is fantastic; long overdue. He also thinks the value of his entire shop inventory has now increased, Shimano or otherwise. He knows the customer options to bypass the woefully inefficient, cumbersome and bloated supply chain have been severed.
FIFY. I know this is a Shimano thread, but why do we have the same pricing disparities with lots of companies (some of them US based -- eg SRAM, Speedplay, Thomson)?
Old 03-03-19, 02:38 PM

Hmmm...

I seem to be finding quite a few Shimano and SRAM products up on the Merlin website.

Not necessarily bottom of the line prices, but they're up there. I didn't actually place a new order, but I seem to be able to get stuff into my shopping cart.

https://www.merlincycles.com

Did they somehow miss the dragnets?

https://www.bike-discount.de

Also seems to list Shimano parts. One can see SRAM parts, but not put them in the cart.

This will undoubtedly be a leaky process trying to plug all the holes.
Old 03-03-19, 02:39 PM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
This is capitalism. Charge what the customer can afford. We will still find ways to keep our bikes running---or, I will. I like riding, so i will find ways to keep riding.

We had a good deal, we benefited. We will no longer have access to the good deal. We will not therefore suffer. We will be fine.

If no one buys Shimano replacements, Shimano will or will not address its prices. Microshift will or will not be more popular. Cheap Chinese Shimano knock-offs will crop up, and some will be good enough to buy. Life, and cycling, will go on.
No...capitalism is patent everything and drive your competitors out of business by making it impossible for them to sell their products, by limiting consumer choice.

Say for example SRAM and their MAP=MSRP, and geolocation/market lockdown....And then SRAM had the nerve to claim they were doing everyone a favor. Shimano can do what they want...all their competitors do just as bad or worse. So it isn't like the consumer really has a choice to support a better company, ethically.

Supply demand and market explanations are...well...naive.
Old 03-03-19, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
FIFY. I know this is a Shimano thread, but why do we have the same pricing disparities with lots of companies (some of them US based -- eg SRAM, Speedplay, Thomson)?
We have a "strong dollar".

I have thought that for some time prices seem to reflect parity between the US Dollar and the GB Pound and EU Euro.

$1 = £1 = 1€ But, of course the international markets don't look at it that way. Also taxes really throw currency equivalencies around a lot.

Keep in mind you're not looking at prices of US manufacturers, but US branded foreign made products.

For domestic products:

Paul, Rolf, PhilWood, Velocity (formerly Australian), White Industries, etc?

I'm having troubles finding them on any international websites. Perhaps that is one of our problems. Far more imports than exports.

Interesting, White Industries now is adding a 4% Tariff Surcharge to all of their products due to increased costs of domestic raw materials.

Tariff - White Industries
TARIFF surcharge

In your recent orders you may have noticed there is a now a line item that says "TARIFF SURCHARGE: USA COMMODITY INCREASE DUE TO RECENTLY IMPOSED TARIFFS."

The surcharge is due to severe increases in material and bearing cost. Despite using US made aluminum, steel, and titanium, we have still seen an increase of well over 28% in raw material cost alone. For this reason we have had to start attaching a 4% surcharge on all orders. Rather than increasing our prices, the tariff surcharge is listed making it easy for us to adjust or hopefully eliminate this surcharge when/if the tariff situation stabilizes. Thank you for understanding.
Old 03-03-19, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Supply demand and market explanations are...well...naive.
I didn't say "Supply and Demand." I said, "Charge what the market will bear." The phrase "caveat emptor" has been around a lot longer than Adam Smith's invisible hand.

And if ethics is that big an issue, simply don't buy anything from any of the big bike parts manufacturers. That Is your option. if you are so ethically offended, stop riding your bike ... or make your own parts. With a little help from a CNC machine shop and a 3D-printer you ought to be able to duplicate most of what you need.

We act like we have some sort of "right" to have bike parts made available to us at a price we find pleasing. I have read the Constitution pretty thoroughly. If there is an article which mentions 'brifters" or "electronic shifting' I missed it.

Shimano found a way to make more money. We would have to pay that money. We don't want to.

The option is to pay of not.

The funniest part is ... how often does anybody need to buy a new group set? I have six road bikes. I do not "need" to build more. If i choose to .... then I have to pay for that. Nothing unfair there.

If I choose to upgrade one of those bikes, and it costs me a few hundred dollars more to day than it would have last year .... I either pass, or I save up another couple hundred dollars. Not a huge deal.

Whatever.
Old 03-03-19, 03:11 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Keep in mind you're not looking at prices of US manufacturers, but US branded foreign made products.
]
For at least Thomson, you can google for Thomson Factory Tour Video.. they make most of the stems and seatposts I think in Macon Georgia. But you'll pay 20% more for that stem from an LBS in Atlanta, than to get it shipped to you from the UK (where it had to be shipped to from Georgia).

For foreign country manufactured goods.. if we have a strong dollar, then US companies are paying for the labor and manufacturing with that strong dollar, aren't they?
Old 03-03-19, 03:20 PM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
We have a "strong dollar".

I have thought that for some time prices seem to reflect parity between the US Dollar and the GB Pound and EU Euro.

$1 = £1 = 1€ But, of course the international markets don't look at it that way. Also taxes really throw currency equivalencies around a lot.

For domestic products:

Paul, Rolf, PhilWood, Velocity (formerly Australian), White Industries, etc?

I'm having troubles finding them on any international websites. Perhaps that is one of our problems. Far more imports than exports.

Interesting, White Industries now is adding a 4% Tariff Surcharge to all of their products due to increased costs of domestic raw materials.

TARIFF surcharge

In your recent orders you may have noticed there is a now a line item that says "TARIFF SURCHARGE: USA COMMODITY INCREASE DUE TO RECENTLY IMPOSED TARIFFS."

The surcharge is due to severe increases in material and bearing cost. Despite using US made aluminum, steel, and titanium, we have still seen an increase of well over 28% in raw material cost alone. For this reason we have had to start attaching a 4% surcharge on all orders. Rather than increasing our prices, the tariff surcharge is listed making it easy for us to adjust or hopefully eliminate this surcharge when/if the tariff situation stabilizes. Thank you for understanding.
I'm not that surprised. The people who are able to make it and stay in business domestically (making their wares--domestically) are small operations making a high-tier product. White, Onyx, Paul and so on. They're not big enough to be able to worry (or want to worry) about international distribution and all the byzantine business involved with it.

I'm not sure Speedplay even makes their toys here. SRAM bought out Rockshox, Avid, and Truvativ, and Zipp--which has small facilities making stuff, but AFAIK all actual SRAM parts are not made domestically all their boxes last I knew had "Made in Taiwan" on them.

SRAM adopted Speedplay's MAP=MSRP practice and forbid sales pricing or cross-region sales.
Old 03-03-19, 03:31 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

TARIFF surcharge

Sounds reasonable... until you realize that a pair of eg. T11 Hubs weighs about 12 ozs. The 4% 'surcharge' equates to about $20. the cost per lb of the raw materials (aluminum 6061) is about $1/lb. A 28% increase means that alloy used to cost $.80/lb. So the additional raw material (even allowing for the hubs not weighing a full lb) cost would be about $.20. $.20 vs. $20 ?
Old 03-03-19, 04:08 PM

Actually, if White is buying billets, most of what it buys is getting scraped or recycled after it is ground away. The weight of the finished product has nothing to do with the weight of the material that went into the piece. (Not sure how much aluminum can be recovered after milling, due to contamination. Maybe a lot, maybe not. Not sure how much it costs to actually recover the scrap and clean it enough to recast.)

But hey .... don't like the price, buy elsewhere.

Personally, I like how the company is up-front about the increase, and also suggests that the increase can be revoked should the tariff be removed. That is pretty ballsy, because everyone who shops there will remember that ... so they are sort of obligated. if they had merely raised prices four percent nobody would have noticed much, and no one would have any expectation that prices would drop later.
Old 03-03-19, 04:18 PM

Scrap metal may be $0.50 a pound, but when I've bought new metal, it seems to cost a heck of a lot more than that.

No doubt the company is able to resell their scrap.

Is a hub being milled out of say 4" of 2 1/2" round stock? Plus the axles, nuts, bearings, and everything else.

I'm not surprised that a 28% increase in raw materials prices equates to about a 4% wholesale/retail parts increase.

And that a tariff on international products increases the cost of domestic materials.

Of course they could save a lot on materials by designing some kind of extrusion/forging/casting/mandrel processing if they aren't already doing it. At least with steel, forging may make better steel than milling.

Last edited by CliffordK; 03-03-19 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-04-19, 09:25 AM

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Scrap metal may be $0.50 a pound, but when I've bought new metal, it seems to cost a heck of a lot more than that.

No doubt the company is able to resell their scrap.

Is a hub being milled out of say 4" of 2 1/2" round stock? Plus the axles, nuts, bearings, and everything else.

I'm not surprised that a 28% increase in raw materials prices equates to about a 4% wholesale/retail parts increase.

And that a tariff on international products increases the cost of domestic materials.

Of course they could save a lot on materials by designing some kind of extrusion/forging/casting/mandrel processing if they aren't already doing it. At least with steel, forging may make better steel than milling.
So that is interesting 28% increase results in 4% across the board price hike. How much of Shimanos price rise is due to tariffs on chinese origin goods and how much is from their changing their distribution mark ups?
Old 03-04-19, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by willibrord
So that is interesting 28% increase results in 4% across the board price hike. How much of Shimanos price rise is due to tariffs on chinese origin goods and how much is from their changing their distribution mark ups?
I presume tariffs on finished goods would be on the wholesale cost.

So, a 20% tariff on a $50 wholesale item would increase that item to $60.

If the retailers do a 100% markup on that item, then it would have retailed for $100. However, with the tariff, the item shifts to $60 + $60 or $120. Another 10% sales tax would increase that product to $120 + $12 = $132.

Since the markups are generally a fixed calculation of the cost to the retailer (or intermediary wholesaler), the 20% tariff tends to get preserved out to the retail cost.

Yet, the government is only collecting taxes on a small portion of the final retail sales price.

Shimano won't care about raw materials prices in the USA. In fact, the raw materials tariffs may actually reduce their costs by forcing overseas suppliers of raw materials to cut costs and try to compensate for lost US sales.

Keep in mind that overseas purchases of bike parts hit numerous loopholes in that they are neither taxed EU/UK VAT, nor come in with US Tariffs or local sales taxes.
Old 03-04-19, 09:53 AM

The tariffs may well be a mess for companies like Honda that build cars in the USA out of US and foreign components. And, any US raw materials would get the tariff bump no mater whether sourced locally or overseas.
Old 03-04-19, 10:02 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,548 Times in 1,053 Posts
The funniest part is ... how often does anybody need to buy a new group set? I have six road bikes. I do not "need" to build more.
Exactly what I have been wondering after reading the conniptions some posters are having about the future costs of their apparently endless process of constantly upgrading and replacing parts on their bicycles. What percentage of bicyclists do that sort of thing?

Sure, tires, tubes, spokes and cables and such wear out after moderate use and need to be replaced occasionally, but really, stockpiling parts and rebuilding bicycles on a routine basis?
Old 03-04-19, 04:02 PM

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
I presume tariffs on finished goods would be on the wholesale cost.

So, a 20% tariff on a $50 wholesale item would increase that item to $60.

If the retailers do a 100% markup on that item, then it would have retailed for $100. However, with the tariff, the item shifts to $60 + $60 or $120. Another 10% sales tax would increase that product to $120 + $12 = $132.

Since the markups are generally a fixed calculation of the cost to the retailer (or intermediary wholesaler), the 20% tariff tends to get preserved out to the retail cost.

Yet, the government is only collecting taxes on a small portion of the final retail sales price.

Shimano won't care about raw materials prices in the USA. In fact, the raw materials tariffs may actually reduce their costs by forcing overseas suppliers of raw materials to cut costs and try to compensate for lost US sales.

Keep in mind that overseas purchases of bike parts hit numerous loopholes in that they are neither taxed EU/UK VAT, nor come in with US Tariffs or local sales taxes.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm not happy about paying more for everything. It would be worth it if the stuff was made in America, but it isn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.