Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cyclist vs Biker

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
There sure is a whole lotta stereotyping going on in this thread. There are lots of people who ride motorcycles who are great people. Lots of Harley Davidson motorcycle riders are good people, even the ones with tattoos, beards and leather. Some may be "thugs" as it were, but I think those are the minority.

Don't judge a person based on what they ride, or what they look like.
Nope, I don't judge based on those reasons, I judge people based on their behavior and their level of respect toward others around them. Many demonstrating poor behavior may otherwise be good people. Their behavior, whether they feel they have a right to act in that manner or not, is generally upsetting to the peace, happiness, and safety of those around them; a lack of respect. That "biker" may love his un-muffled exhaust, that "Ricky Racer" may love his 0-100mph acceleration-with-wheelie on city streets, but the law of the land, which generally goes unenforced (for a variety of reasons), plainly states that they cannot behave in that manner. With freedom comes responsibility, and accountability. Too often people forget that.

Check that, they are not free to ride those machines, it is a privilege to do so. They are granted permission, via their license, to use the public right-of-way in a safe, prudent, and responsible manner. Driving/riding a motorized vehicle in a manner contrary to what the law states should be enforced by those charged with the task. Same with bicyclists. And pedestrians.

Now, don't get me started on people who drop cigarette butts out of their car window.

It's all about respect. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Steve.
Old 03-10-16, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both cycle and bike can means that motorcycle.So I don't mind anyone call me biker or cyclist.
Old 03-11-16, 12:33 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I don't attach any emotional significance or value judgment to the terms. I've ridden motorcycles and bicycles, as a commuter and casual rider. I wasn't a "biker" according to the usual perception, but I've known many bikers.

The counter-culture aspect is greatly exaggerated, and the outlaw types are a tiny minority among the already small group of counter-culture but mostly law abiding types. I've met a few former outlaw types who outgrew that phase, got tired of being shot or stabbed, the legal hassles, and settled into a safer counter-culture niche. They have jobs, homes and family lives in which they can still dress and look the same as their bad old days, but will never feel comfortable as conventional suburban types.

Most "bikers" are cosmetic types, enjoying their Harleys, choppers and custom bikes and wearing the costumes. But they're mostly middle class working stiffs and upper class folks enjoying a bit of leather cosplay.

As a bicyclist and motorcyclist I've never experienced an ounce of trouble from bikers. I pass some biker bars a few times a week on my usual rural exercise route. Some of them just smile and wave or offer some words of encouragement.

Now, bars with parking lots filled with pickups but no bikes? Those make me a bit more nervous, near closing time. As the country band used to say at closing time, "Be careful going home and drive in the ditches 'cause the roads are full of drunk sonsab1tch3s."
Old 03-11-16, 08:14 AM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by steve t.
Nope, I don't judge based on those reasons, I judge people based on their behavior and their level of respect toward others around them. Many demonstrating poor behavior may otherwise be good people. Their behavior, whether they feel they have a right to act in that manner or not, is generally upsetting to the peace, happiness, and safety of those around them; a lack of respect. That "biker" may love his un-muffled exhaust, that "Ricky Racer" may love his 0-100mph acceleration-with-wheelie on city streets, but the law of the land, which generally goes unenforced (for a variety of reasons), plainly states that they cannot behave in that manner. With freedom comes responsibility, and accountability. Too often people forget that.

Check that, they are not free to ride those machines, it is a privilege to do so. They are granted permission, via their license, to use the public right-of-way in a safe, prudent, and responsible manner. Driving/riding a motorized vehicle in a manner contrary to what the law states should be enforced by those charged with the task. Same with bicyclists. And pedestrians.

Now, don't get me started on people who drop cigarette butts out of their car window.

It's all about respect. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Steve.
Yeah but if you think people are going to automatically act that way because of what they're riding, you're stereotyping them. If you see a person come out of a store and hop onto a certain type of motorcycle and immediately think certain things about that person, you're being judgmental.
Old 03-11-16, 08:49 AM

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Htfu and go ride your bicycle
Old 03-11-16, 08:56 AM
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
About the Corporate Takeover of the Biker "Lifestyle"

I've read what everyone has to say here, but stayed my hand. I wasn't going to weigh-in here, even though I am eminently qualified to do so, because it might just turn into a book.

I've ridden both motorcycles and bicycles all of my life, and for almost 20 years I wrote for motorcycle publications and blogs on the subject of exploring our modern world on motorcycles. At 52 years of age, I think maybe I have learned a thing or two about all three groups of people: "bikers" - folks who ride motorcycles and are very passionate about conducting themselves according to a certain code of honor.

"Cyclists" - folks who ride, and often race, bicycles and are very passionate about it, but cover the spectrum of occupations and political leanings otherwise.

Finally, "Bikers(tm)" - Those who buy into the whole counter-culture, pre-packaged "lifestyle" as espoused since the 1980s by rich, corporate executive types who felt their image needed the sort of macho boost that riding a Harley Davidson would give them. Malcolm Forbes and his "Capitalist Tools" motorcycle club were the prototype for this particular subgroup. Since then, it has morphed into this huge, commercially successful, and socially irritating phenomenon that was lampooned in the movie "Wild Hogs".

Within this group are people who sit on city councils, or occupy other positions of authority (Saint Paul's long-time police chief was a notorious "Biker(tm)") - which allows them to make it official policy to ignore noise laws that they and their "bros" routinely flaunt - or worse; selectively enforce those laws against authentic bikers, while giving people of their own subgroup a pass.

So...

What does it mean when someone refers to a cyclist as a biker? Simply that the person assigning this label doesn't belong to, nor really care about, any of these groups. Although I do find it interesting that they would never refer to a person riding a "Hog" as a cyclist.
Old 03-11-16, 10:10 AM

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think this sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q80_BtDpkbk

:-)
Old 03-11-16, 03:53 PM

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
...biker comes from the arameic word cyclosian or cycloid that in ancient Greek was known as a bikre --i.e., a person who moves about while holding something between the legs.
Old 03-11-16, 03:56 PM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by steve t.
Moreso than being a bicyclist, I am a motorcyclist. I equate being a motorcyclist to being a traveler, a tourer, an explorer. I equate a motorcycle biker as someone who rides an overpriced, underwhelming, loud motorcycle in a generally anti-social manner for misguided and false reasons only they can believe in and justify to those of their own ilk and which a majority of the rest of society wishes would just go away. It's not the machine, it's the owner's behavior, and they give all motorcycle riders a black eye. As a collective group, most seem to have social behavior stuck at age 11 or 12. If law enforcement would start simply enforcing laws that are on the books in each state and their overarching federal regulations, these people would be done.

Sorry, you touched a nerve with me. I guess cyclist or biker doesn't mean much to me in regard to human-powered two-wheelers, but I know where you are coming from.

Steve.
I was a motorcyclist for many years and many miles, and the term biker had different meanings there too but all of them involve people riding (or at least owning) motorcycles. I tend to agree with Steve, and still wonder why people would refer to a bicyclist as a biker as they don't have a motor.
Old 03-11-16, 03:57 PM

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 850 mountain bike; 2002 LeMond Alpe d'Huez; 2005 Orbea Onix TDF; 2015 Bianchi Infinito.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I don't have trouble with "biker". I was racing out of Boston in the '70s, the dark ages. I had the same experience with hardcore bikers several times. I'd be stopped at a light in a tough part of Boston. A fully leathered biker looking as tough as you could ask for on a HD would pull up next to me, then spend the entire light sequence looking me up and down, noting my black shorts, Italian shoes, shaved legs, the patterned jersey with pockets in back while I straddles a 20 pound machine. Light changes, he hits the throttle of his 800? pound bike and gives me a thumbs up. Every time. If I was in danger it would have been one of those bikers who would have stopped for me. I always regarded them as brothers by different parents.

Ben
Whenever I'm at a light with motorcyclists, I say, "Why don't you get a real bike?" Never fails to get at least a smile.
Old 03-11-16, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by tcarl
I've always distinguished between "groups" - such as picture taker/photographer, piano player/pianist, biker/cyclist. I guess I'm thinking that to me there is the impression of more skill/experience/professionalism in the latter over the former. (That's not necessarily implying the former is inferior.) So, in my mind a "biker" (in the bicycling sense) is more of a recreational rider, or a family out on the MUP on a nice Sunday afternoon, while a "cyclist" is more of what we call an "avid" or "serious" rider, doing longer distances, faster speeds, and going out in less pleasant weather. Interesting topic. Never did I think I'd get into a linguistic discussion on a bicycle forum!
According to the dictionary, a cyclist is a person who is riding a bicycle.
Old 03-11-16, 04:13 PM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I don't have trouble with "biker". I was racing out of Boston in the '70s, the dark ages. I had the same experience with hardcore bikers several times. I'd be stopped at a light in a tough part of Boston. A fully leathered biker looking as tough as you could ask for on a HD would pull up next to me, then spend the entire light sequence looking me up and down, noting my black shorts, Italian shoes, shaved legs, the patterned jersey with pockets in back while I straddles a 20 pound machine. Light changes, he hits the throttle of his 800? pound bike and gives me a thumbs up. Every time. If I was in danger it would have been one of those bikers who would have stopped for me. I always regarded them as brothers by different parents.

Ben
You're probably about the same age I am. In the '70's the guys in the tee shirts that said they'd rather see their sister working in a ***** house or "chrome don't getcha home" and I were polar opposites but by 15 - 20 years ago I found I had more in common with them than the newer poser out for a brief ride from bar to bar. There were many times when I'd end up at at stop light next to one of them while I was riding my dirty airhead boxer with out of state plates and we'd look and nod to each other. I'd be wearing my full face helmet and well worn goretex riding jacket, while they'd be wearing well worn leathers or the ubiquitous black tee shirt but we were both out riding instead of sitting in a bar on a nice day. I think they knew I'd done a lot of the work on the bike as well as put a lot of the miles on and they respected that a lot more than the ability to buy a newer bike that had been modified to look like their friends bike by someone else. I rode by some of the 1%ers a few times too and never had a problem with them. I always made them look "bad" and they didn't bother anyone else either. But the outside noisy, inside empty types are another story.

***** It looks like the senors don't like the vulgar term for a woman who exchanges sexual favors for money.
Old 03-11-16, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I ride regularly in the countryside of so Maryland. It's filled on weekends with Harley riders. Their motorcycles are extremely loud and owners lobby that loud pipes are necessary for safety. If that's the case why are other motorcycles quiet by comparison. They also ride in two columns hugging the center line and shoulder. They claim that's necessary to avoid road grease. Funny but Harley's are the only ones that do that. What's upsetting is when cyclists are on the shoulder they don't move and smile about how close they come.
Old 03-11-16, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah but if you think people are going to automatically act that way because of what they're riding, you're stereotyping them. If you see a person come out of a store and hop onto a certain type of motorcycle and immediately think certain things about that person, you're being judgmental.
I am not stereotyping the person, and I don't think they are automatically going to act any sort of way. Again, as in my previous messages, I am judging the person's behavior (not the person) based on actions I have witnessed with my own eyes and ears.

As I sit here now, inside my closed-up house, 7 houses away from the end of the block where there is a stoplight, I was suddenly made aware that the light turned green coming in my direction. I knew this because of the muffler-free, 4-cylinder engine motorcycle that launched from a standstill and tore up my street in the matter of just a few seconds, winding the throttle hard and hitting 3rd gear in front of my house, continuing to accelerate and upshift as they went by. (My street has a 30mph speed limit.) So, my rattling storm windows from the noise and being keyed into the elapsed time of travel and shift pattern allowed me to conclude that the rider was, in the eyes of the law, misbehaving. There is no stereotyping going on. This machine is outfitted with a non-DOT-compliant exhaust system and the rider is using excessive speed, both violations of established law. For all I know, this person, be they man or woman, young or old, rich or poor, rough-edged or refined, etc., may be a wonderful person in all other facets of life. But just now on their motorcycle, they were misbehaving and being disrespectful toward the residents of the neighborhood.

Steve.
Old 03-11-16, 08:36 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
People know you, they see you when they're speaking to you, so what does it matter what word they use to describe you, since you know what they mean.

I prefer bicyclist to make it clear that we're not talking about a motorcyclist, but I'm not offended or upset in any if someone describes me as a biker. It's a case of you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or.......

As I used to tell people in another context, "You can call me anything you want, as long as you don't call me too late for dinner."

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-11-16, 10:11 PM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Biker to me means motorcyclist
cyclist to me means bicyclist
Apparently I'm not the only one.
Google each of the two words separately and see what comes up
Old 03-11-16, 10:35 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
There sure is a whole lotta stereotyping going on in this thread. There are lots of people who ride motorcycles who are great people. Lots of Harley Davidson motorcycle riders are good people, even the ones with tattoos, beards and leather. Some may be "thugs" as it were, but I think those are the minority.

Don't judge a person based on what they ride, or what they look like.
But don't forget that as often as not, those stereotypes are exactly what the people who fit them desire to be taken for.

FWIW, thats an admission, not an accusation.
Old 03-12-16, 10:21 AM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
It doesn't matter to me what I am called, as long as I am not called late for dinner, lol

On a more serious note that is sure to offend some here, from a newbie to cycling's point of view, whenever someone that I meet refers to themselves as a "cyclist", they usually say so in a snobbish sort of way and look down their noses at anyone who does not distinguish themselves in the same manner. Then these "cyclist" will go out on our club ride, ride 3-4 abreast, cross the yellow line, hold up traffic, run red lights and ignore stop signs (you got to get KOM!). These same people hate when you can ride at their level and refuse to get dropped but will never offer a word of encouragement. I think the term "snobs" is very fitting in these cases. Mind you, not all "cyclists" are snobs, but too many are and it hurts our sport.

Then, I meet people who "ride" bikes, friendly, helpful, generous and considerate of others, They follow the rules, share experiences and offer advice, congratulate you when you out climb them. They don't care what you call them, they enjoy the comradery of a common bond. Whether it is road, mountain or a cruiser ride down the street, they are just happy to be out there enjoying themselves and glad that no one called them late for dinner!

Some might even see themselves in my description, others, hopefully not. It seems to me that the higher up the ladder a rider thinks they are, or the more "elite" they feel, the worse the ego and snob level. It's almost as if it isn't about the fun factor for them anymore, just about hammering out a fast Strava segment. For me, life is too short for that. I choose to live to ride, not ride to live.

Rant off, not directed at only one in particular, just using a very broad brush
Old 03-12-16, 11:32 AM

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have to drive to get to the really good cycling roads where I live. Tiring of driving my truck I made a little trailer to haul my bicycle to tow with my old beater Harley. Now I can get a motorcycle and bicycle ride in one shot. Win, win till I read this thread. Now I'm soooo confused. Dont know what i am on those days.
Old 03-12-16, 12:56 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
Biker to me means motorcyclist
cyclist to me means bicyclist
I've been riding for 16 years and I feel the same. There are lots of cyclists in my area but WAY more bikers. Motorcycles are everywhere.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-12-16, 01:08 PM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
It doesn't matter to me what I am called, as long as I am not called late for dinner, lol

On a more serious note that is sure to offend some here, from a newbie to cycling's point of view, whenever someone that I meet refers to themselves as a "cyclist", they usually say so in a snobbish sort of way and look down their noses at anyone who does not distinguish themselves in the same manner. Then these "cyclist" will go out on our club ride, ride 3-4 abreast, cross the yellow line, hold up traffic, run red lights and ignore stop signs (you got to get KOM!). These same people hate when you can ride at their level and refuse to get dropped but will never offer a word of encouragement. I think the term "snobs" is very fitting in these cases. Mind you, not all "cyclists" are snobs, but too many are and it hurts our sport.

Then, I meet people who "ride" bikes, friendly, helpful, generous and considerate of others, They follow the rules, share experiences and offer advice, congratulate you when you out climb them. They don't care what you call them, they enjoy the comradery of a common bond. Whether it is road, mountain or a cruiser ride down the street, they are just happy to be out there enjoying themselves and glad that no one called them late for dinner!

Some might even see themselves in my description, others, hopefully not. It seems to me that the higher up the ladder a rider thinks they are, or the more "elite" they feel, the worse the ego and snob level. It's almost as if it isn't about the fun factor for them anymore, just about hammering out a fast Strava segment. For me, life is too short for that. I choose to live to ride, not ride to live.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), this is all true. When I spent a year with a cycling club, we would
amass before the ride, with the various pace groups hanging together. The farther down the line you went from the 18+ average (pace) group, the nicer the people were. I hung out with the Sonics (16mph or slower). Like you said, NYM, it is about the comeraderie. I learned a lot about values after getting hammered by adrenal fatigue from overtraining in 2009.
Old 03-12-16, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer

I joined a cycling club that practiced a type of Sharia law. I made the mistake of waving to other cyclists, my hand was removed in abrupt fashion. Another member had to take a natural out on a ride, he lost his Johnson. Some of these clubs are getting "out of hand".
Old 03-12-16, 09:14 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Worknomore
I have to drive to get to the really good cycling roads where I live. Tiring of driving my truck I made a little trailer to haul my bicycle to tow with my old beater Harley. Now I can get a motorcycle and bicycle ride in one shot. Win, win till I read this thread. Now I'm soooo confused. Dont know what i am on those days.
Easy, a "motor-cyclist".
Old 03-13-16, 09:28 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Cyclist.
Old 03-13-16, 09:57 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike is slang/ short for bicycle. Has nothing to do with how a two wheel cycle is powered. I take offence when someone calls them selves a biker when they actually mean motorcyclist. I tell them to get off their lazy ass and start peddling if they want the right to be called a biker.
Now, to me a person who rides their bicycle all the time in all types of weather, utilitarian- commuter is a biker. Someone who only rides on pretty days usually on group rides, and wears spandex, is a cyclist.
And just to get a little more technical slang for motor cyclist would be motor biker but since motorcycles do not have motors (they have engines) proper slang name would be engine biker.
I ride my bicycle about 50% percent of the time, my Kawasaki Versys 1000 about 45% of the time and my car the other 5% of time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.