Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stripped bolt holding aero bar arm rest pad

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stripped bolt holding aero bar arm rest pad

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-22, 05:39 AM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,324 Posts
Want some real advice?

Never go on the internet and ask a bunch of strangers, who are not familiar with exactly what you have, what caused the problem, and what mechanical ability you have, how to do a DIY hack on an item you can’t replace.

You need to figure out what caused the bolt to strip. It may just be a really bad design that was going to fail eventually, or you could have caused it to be stripped out.

And finally, if you have never done something, test it out first. You can get aluminum strip at Home Depot and drilled, tapped, heli-coiled all you want to see if it was going to work before trying it out on your bars.

jccaclimber gave some good advice about Time-Serts. As he pointed out, it might be too late. It probably comes down to OD to ID thread, material depth, and maybe thread pitch. You should probably go to a bike shop and see what they think, or if they know of any machine shops that are willing to tackle this.

Short of that, go buy some new aerobars, for a lot less. You don’t need that particular brand to ride your bike.

John

Edit added: Personally I’d still replace the bars regardless in case a DIY fix fails at the wrong time. Even more so if it is a design flaw.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 06-20-22 at 05:56 AM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-20-22, 07:24 AM
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilovemyride
Anyway I tightened in the bolt with aero bar arm rest and went to test it laying my arm in and within seconds it just wobbled lose !!! I am sooo annoyed ! I tried to tighten it twice and it just spun, ugghhh. What happened ????
Did you use a lock washer?
Dan
Old 06-20-22, 07:57 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
I am seeing this forum is made up of brainless zombies that can not think for themselves or maybe just bots .
Calling people you've asked for help - and who in some cases are experts in the field of bicycle repair - "brainless zombies" after they've offered advice is not exactly the best strategy to "make friends and influence people".

I come here probably like most just asking for friendly advice. I don't claim to know everything like some people giving not needed comments
Hey, you're the one who asked for advice. You got advice - from in many cases people with literally years or decades of expertise in the field. The fact that you don't like their advice isn't their issue. Rather, the fact that you don't like their advice is your issue. Don't blame others if you asked for their advice but don't like the advice they gave.

MY HANDLEBARS retail valve when new 795.00 .... so no .
I'm sure they're nice bars. But their original list price is irrelevant.

Above, I'm pretty sure you said they're largely constructed from carbon fiber. Carbon fiber repair is often if not generally best left to experts. If you continue, unless you have the requisite expertise you may cause concealed damage to the underlying carbon fiber structure of those bars (or to the bonding of the metal mount to the bars). If that causes a hidden crack or separation leading to later bar/mount failure at 20+ MPH that results in a spill . . . well, I think the resulting damage to you and your bike just might cost a bit more than a replacement set of bars. That's assuming either can be repaired, of course.

If it were me, I'd probably (1) get a fairly cheap replacement set of bars for short-term use, and (2) contact a firm specializing in carbon fiber repair for an estimate on repairing your current bars. But it's your bike, and your life. You make the choice.

Last edited by Hondo6; 06-21-22 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-20-22, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 966 Posts
Lol, brainless zombies, dang I just blew coffee over my screen from laughing.

Dude the bars are toast, already those are not a very stable riding position, and with faulty equipment... Well, it's your choice.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 06-20-22, 01:07 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,777 Posts
You've spent nearly three weeks working on this problem, and have seemingly only made it worse. Might be a good time to invest in some new bars. You didn't get into this sport because it was cheap, did you?