Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Embracing Changes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Embracing Changes

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 02:43 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,537 Times in 1,859 Posts
You must not merely enjoy life---you must enjoy life As I Want You To.

Everything not compulsory is forbidden. Everything not forbidden is compulsory.
Old 01-02-18, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 350htrr
No, actually there IS, such a thing as an E-Assist... A TOTALY different animal from an E-Bike...

Really? I see different machines advertised differently. But, other than throttle and horsepower no difference. All are powered by both electric motors and human pedaling. In other words, an electric hybrid motorcycle in the same vein as hybrid cars. But, your comment is just quibbling with language and not substance.

(I do see that graphic at the end of the post. I take it to be a One Up On You kind of thing. Maybe not.)
Old 01-02-18, 04:09 PM

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Really? I see different machines advertised differently. But, other than throttle and horsepower no difference. All are powered by both electric motors and human pedaling. In other words, an electric hybrid motorcycle in the same vein as hybrid cars. But, your comment is just quibbling with language and not substance.

(I do see that graphic at the end of the post. I take it to be a One Up On You kind of thing. Maybe not.)
E-Bike; with throttle, you only need to push/twist the throttle and you go, (tho you can still pedal normally).
E-Bike; with crank rotation sensor, you need to only rotate the crank and don't actually have to put much pressure onto pedals and you go, (tho you can pedal normally).
E-Assist; with pressure sensor in hub axel, you go nowhere, unless you pedal the bicycle normally... Just like riding a normal bicycle with a wind at your back.

10Lbs pressure onto the pedals gets you 3.5Lbs of pressure added onto your ten pounds of effort on level 1, if you only put

1Lbs pressure onto the pedals you will only get 0.35Lbs of assistance added to your one Lbs of effort... TOTALY different from a crank sensor where you would still get the 3.5Lbs when only putting in 1 Lbs of pedaling effort...IMO

Last edited by 350htrr; 01-06-18 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-02-18, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 64 Posts
I've seen my first ebikes on my way to work. The riders seem no different from the rest of the population, equally careful and courteous.
Old 01-02-18, 10:08 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I'm sure anyone who has done any of those things in Machka's post could start a thread about it.

Waiting ....
Old 01-03-18, 09:32 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I'm sure anyone who has done any of those things in Machka's post could start a thread about it.
Originally Posted by Machka
Waiting ....
Well, since it is obviously not compulsory, it is forbidden.
Old 01-03-18, 09:46 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10991 Post(s)
Liked 4,662 Times in 2,142 Posts
Time out. Play nice, please, or the thread hits the trash can.

Old 01-03-18, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
I am the OP and must let you all know that I am going down the same road as my father and grandfather. Congestive heart failure sucks and it strongly affects my ability to go fast. Hence the electric assist. My dad started around age 60 with it, and by age 64 he was forced to retire. My grandpa the same. So there I go as well. Hopefully I can work past age 64 and ride at 17mph without struggle, but if not, an ebike may be perfect. Of course I could only ride my motorcycle, but I need some kind of exercise, so why not an ebike and go faster at the same time? Makes sense to me! Accept and embrace change that one has no control over is a sign of grace.

Oh, about the truck. Don't really need one except a few times each year and I just borrow my brother in laws truck, but I figured I that I drive less than 1000 miles per year and can get along with 20mph for a while so why not? I like trucks. What can I say?
Old 01-03-18, 06:52 PM

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I am the OP and must let you all know that I am going down the same road as my father and grandfather. Congestive heart failure sucks and it strongly affects my ability to go fast. Hence the electric assist. My dad started around age 60 with it, and by age 64 he was forced to retire. My grandpa the same. So there I go as well. Hopefully I can work past age 64 and ride at 17mph without struggle, but if not, an ebike may be perfect. Of course I could only ride my motorcycle, but I need some kind of exercise, so why not an ebike and go faster at the same time? Makes sense to me! Accept and embrace change that one has no control over is a sign of grace.

Oh, about the truck. Don't really need one except a few times each year and I just borrow my brother in laws truck, but I figured I that I drive less than 1000 miles per year and can get along with 20mph for a while so why not? I like trucks. What can I say?
and... There, is the reason why E-Bikes were/are allowed to be ridden as regular bicycles... To get more people to ride bicycles, that can/and do, border on being mopeds... But, one needs/should still need pedal... IMO Go for it. Do not stop riding...

Unfortunately, Here in N America things have gotten twisted around as to what should still be "considered" a "bicycle", why.? I suspect because it's a niche where people can make money. $$$, so, make sure you get an E-Assist, not an E-Bike, why.? because you still seem to want to ride a bicycle... JMO

Last edited by 350htrr; 01-03-18 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-03-18, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
I have a walker and three and a half years ago I could not even move about my home without it. Quite an experience. I will always have it folded in the corner of my living room right next to my recumbant eliptical to remind me of the alternative to not keeping my legs flexible. I have two road bikes for fair weather riding and see no need for e assist at all for my level of riding but I am all for someone spending their own cash as they see fit regardless of age or fitness level.... As long as they wave and don't yell at me out on the MUP :-)
Old 01-03-18, 11:25 PM

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked 2,051 Times in 1,124 Posts
I'm going to get an e-bike because I don't have time to train enough to make up for my loss of strength and endurance that is a result of __________, and ____________, and _________. No way am I going to slow down when I don't have to. If I had to go slower, then I would quit cycling altogether because it has always been about going fast.
Old 01-04-18, 06:11 AM

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I am the OP and must let you all know that I am going down the same road as my father and grandfather. Congestive heart failure sucks and it strongly affects my ability to go fast. Hence the electric assist. My dad started around age 60 with it, and by age 64 he was forced to retire. My grandpa the same. So there I go as well.
Well you should have said this in the original post. By the way, have you been actually diagnosed with heart failure? Or are you just assuming that because your father and Grandfather had it, you will also have heart failure? There are numerous causes of heart failure, but I didn't know it was inherited. But I assumed you've discussed this with a cardiologist.
Old 01-04-18, 06:38 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Funny thing ... when I first read the title of this thread way back when "Embracing Changes", I thought it might possibly be about going back to university or college to upgrade technological education in order to stay with the times, or get a promotion at work, or something.

Then I thought it might be about deciding to pack up and move to another country to pursue an intriguing opportunity in a new field, or maybe deciding to travel around the world for a year, or something else exciting.

Imagine my disappointment when I saw it was about ... e-bikes.

Yup - 7 pages of comments and counting. About e-bikes. Who would have thought?
Old 01-04-18, 11:16 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
There is an ELECTRIC MOTOR POWERED BIKE sub forum. Sharing motor-bike experiences here in an attempt to collect approvals for your decision to stop pedaling and thereby allowing you to maintain a positive self image as a cyclist should be discouraged. Get back on your bike or take it to the motor-bike sub forum.

"Hello. I'm Jeff and I hate e-bikes"
But you may live long enough to come to love them.
Old 01-04-18, 11:35 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
For quite some time there has been hate and discontent directed at recumbents and trikes. The reason why still escapes me. Now all of a sudden the E-bike seems to be the target. IMO all too many seem to think that everyone must ride a race approved DF bike. A small leeway is given to mountain bikes.

OTOH I am one of a small number here that everyone should respect anything and everything that resembles any form of a bike trike or quad, e-assisted or not. If the owner is happy that is all that matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-18, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Resistance is futile.
Old 01-04-18, 02:22 PM

It seems that I've lived long enough that I cannot avoid them.
Old 01-04-18, 02:33 PM

For quite some time there has been hate and discontent directed at recumbents and trikes. The reason why still escapes me. Now all of a sudden the E-bike seems to be the target. IMO all too many seem to think that everyone must ride a race approved DF bike. A small leeway is given to mountain bikes.

OTOH I am one of a small number here that everyone should respect anything and everything that resembles any form of a bike trike or quad, e-assisted or not. If the owner is happy that is all that matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There you go...claiming that motorized vehicles are equivalent to human powered vehicles. That is the sales pitch that works on customers that have a dusty bike in the garage which they won't ride because of a ________, or a ___________, or whatever. The salesman tells them an electric bike IS a bike and riding it is good excercise. But with the battery power, they will actually ride it because it is EASIER. If motorized bicycles were restricted to motorways, there would be no hate. Bicycles would be hated too if we rode on busy sidewalks.
Old 01-04-18, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Classtime
There you go...claiming that motorized vehicles are equivalent to human powered vehicles.
Funny i didn't read that.

Yes ... an ASSISTED bike is ASSISTED. is that the point you are struggling to make? Good ... did it for you.

A person can want an assist for any number of reasons ... none of which involve morality. A person is not better or worse depending on who many watts he or she outputs. Sorry, if you didn't know that.

So yes, if a person on a Assisted bike gets out and rides ... guess what? it increases the population of cyclists. It encourages city planners to build more bike facilities. It encourages more employers to build bike lockers and showers.

And if those riders on Assisted bikes are dicks ... then they always were. They were the ones squeezing you over when they drove by, or shouting at you, or throwing things ... or just hating you for being there.

One the other hand, if they were former cyclists who understand, or simply decent human beings ... then a small electric motor won't change them.

No one is saying an E-Bike is a Non-E-Bike.

People are saying they are two-wheeled transports which can operate in the same approximate speed ranges and in the same areas as unassisted bikes. People are saying that hating on E-Bikes is like hating on bents, or trikes, or tandems, or blacks or Muslims or whites or Christians or white men---it is irrational hatred which shows the sickness of the hater, not of the object of the hate.

If people who hated irrationally were all kept out of the general population, there would be no hate. And we could all ride together happily on whatever we chose to ride.
Old 01-04-18, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs

Yes ... an ASSISTED bike is ASSISTED. is that the point you are struggling to make? Good ... did it for you.

So yes, if a person on a Assisted bike gets out and rides ... guess what? it increases the population of cyclists.
There you go again. Equating electric bikes with bicycles.
Old 01-04-18, 05:54 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A person can want an assist for any number of reasons ... none of which involve morality. A person is not better or worse depending on who many watts he or she outputs. Sorry, if you didn't know that.

So yes, if a person on a Assisted bike gets out and rides ... guess what? it increases the population of cyclists. It encourages city planners to build more bike facilities. It encourages more employers to build bike lockers and showers.

And if those riders on Assisted bikes are dicks ... then they always were. They were the ones squeezing you over when they drove by, or shouting at you, or throwing things ... or just hating you for being there.

One the other hand, if they were former cyclists who understand, or simply decent human beings ... then a small electric motor won't change them.

People are saying they are two-wheeled transports which can operate in the same approximate speed ranges and in the same areas as unassisted bikes. People are saying that hating on E-Bikes is like hating on bents, or trikes, or tandems, or blacks or Muslims or whites or Christians or white men---it is irrational hatred which shows the sickness of the hater, not of the object of the hate.

If people who hated irrationally were all kept out of the general population, there would be no hate. And we could all ride together happily on whatever we chose to ride.
Three subjects here. 1. Human powered machines, which are bikes, trikes etc.. 2. Motor cycles, which is anything two wheel, or even three wheel, with a motor on it. 3. Social engineering.

I thought this forum was for number one - bikes, trikes etc. I would think motor cycles have their own forum. and for social engineering, I am sure there are forums for that.

Personally, I am tired of wading through silly social engineering ramblings just to try to read about bikes.
Old 01-04-18, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts

There is an oft repeated argument that having a bike with a motor is no different than having a bike with gears as both just make riding easier. Which to me comes pretty close.
Old 01-04-18, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
Yes, unfortunately I have a cardo specialist and he is of the opinion that the heart just ain't up to the job. Says part is getting older, the other is the inability of the enlarged left ventricle and an inability to flex efficienly, just like pops and grandpops. No big deal to me as I have seen it before and know what is coming. The odd thing is how closely the timelines matchup to my predecessors.
Old 01-04-18, 06:42 PM

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Machka was just being coaching, not rough on anybody, in my opinion.
I have a friend who got an e-bike after having some heart problems, it helped him. I have another friend who got an ebike to get him get into bike commuting, and he rides it on residential streets, not so much on MUPs. It helped him. My dad rode until he had balance issues, so if I follow in his tracks an ebike won't be in my future, since it won't help with balance.
Old 01-04-18, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by TruthBomb
This simply not true.

Ebikes are banned in many areas that are open to normal bicycles.
Really? Name one area where they are banned... and... I mean legal E-Bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.