Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Riis Admits It!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rufvelo
Absolutely. Ban Riis for 4 yrs from running a pro team. So the deterrent is you can't get away today, or even 10 years later when if your not actively competing, you can't be intimately connected to the sport.
WTF? You guys are crazy! Do you really think these gestapo tactics are the solution? Riders are coming forward and admitting... isn't this a good thing? You just want to drive it all underground again? If Riis was facing a 4 year ban he would deny forever (and so would everyone else) and nothing would ever get pinned on him.

Practically everybody was and is doping! Get with the program... don't shoot the messenger!
Old 05-26-07, 08:22 PM
rider of small bicycles

Bikes: Cannondale

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by botto
The fact that he went, and sat alongside, and confessed with Aldag shows a level of class that you don't see very much in the pro peloton.
Yes but everyone knows that Zabel and Aldag are lovers. He was merely "standing by his man"

Mark
Old 05-26-07, 08:35 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Look I'm huge fan of Zabel, but he didn't just come out of the big blue sky and confess. He knew, just like Riis, that he would eventually be implicated in the growing Telekom scandal. It was damage control plain and simple. Get your message out first and control the spin.
I don't think Zabel had a lot to lose, especially since D'hont himself said Zabel just dabbled with epo. My take (from Hell On Wheels) is that Zabel and Aldag are really really close and he came out at the same time to share the pain with him.
Old 05-27-07, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rruff
WTF? You guys are crazy! Do you really think these gestapo tactics are the solution? Riders are coming forward and admitting... isn't this a good thing? You just want to drive it all underground again? If Riis was facing a 4 year ban he would deny forever (and so would everyone else) and nothing would ever get pinned on him.

Practically everybody was and is doping! Get with the program... don't shoot the messenger!

This is why some of us think the best solution would be an amnesty period for past digressions, BUT, with that, the achknowledgement amongst current riders the need to submit to and implement MUCH more stringent anti-doping programs and controls.
Old 05-27-07, 08:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At this point in time what can they really do to Zabel? He admitted to doping for a week many years ago. If the WADA code had been in effect he would be free and clear as WADA limits itself to punishing dopers from only the past 8 years.

Riis should be similarly protected and his admission, while not endearing him to those that oppose doping, is virtually meaningless in the offical channels. He can't give up his TdF win regardless of what he does with the symbolic jersey of that win. However, he should be booted out of the sport, not as an official action of any governing body but as the intelligent move by the leadership of his team and by the sponsors. He is beyond tainted and should be alienated. He taints CSC, both the American company and the race team, with his guilt and associates both with a doper. Why would either want him around?
Old 05-27-07, 10:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Firstly the guy admitting to doping isn't the 'messenger', more like the 'carrier'.

And as I said in another related thread...

Only attractive amnesty deals, whistle blower deals, very harsh alternative choices, improved testing by agencies AND teams motivated by retaining sponsorship will help. Not rid the sport of the problem completely, but reduce the incidence.

However if you're caught a second time you're gone. Plus much less leniency for team management, team doctors etc. You just have to get tough.

OR

Decide to turn a blind eye and accept it as part of the sport. Thus continue to take a weak stand on it, assume everyone will be blood doping, EPO, testerone etc and to limit liability, do some minimal testing - only test five or six pros for for cocaine once a year.
Old 05-27-07, 03:54 PM
Riding behind enemy lines

Bikes: Orbea, Trek, Cadex, Colnago, Schwinn, Specialized, Poghliaghi, Kellog, KHS, Kellog, Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riis should quit his job and go dig ditches.
He's a complete embarrassment to the sport.

Armstrong never got caught cheating.
That probably makes him as good a cheater as a cyclist.

-- Some guy at the Dallas Crits
Old 05-27-07, 06:11 PM
NTM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iluvfreebeer

Incorrect.
Old 05-27-07, 07:23 PM
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe he owns and is also CEO of Team CSC...and in all seriousness it was like he smoked pot in college for a few years....does that make you degree worth any less....give back the Yellow jersey...make a statments and winning and cheating but should he be shuned from all of cycling and anything related to it? If that is so there are a long list of people we need to start letting go....give him less crap and there will be more people talk about it, the sport will be better for it in the end.....punish the hell out of him and everybody will go underground and we will be in this position again someday....taking up good cycling time with 10 year old stories....
Old 05-27-07, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VT Biker
This is why some of us think the best solution would be an amnesty period for past digressions, BUT, with that, the achknowledgement amongst current riders the need to submit to and implement MUCH more stringent anti-doping programs and controls.
I'm all for that... and at the same time I want punishments for a positive test to be much lower than they are now.
Old 05-27-07, 09:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm all for that... and at the same time I want punishments for a positive test to be much lower than they are now.
you mean like a 30-day suspension for doping? yeah, that'll do the trick .

ed rader
Old 05-27-07, 09:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
like no one knew "mr. 61%" was doping that year .

doping is a part of this sport. the athletes that can't handle that fact find other jobs. the ones who whine about doping can't win even when they cheat.

i say put the genie back in the bottle and let theses guys do their thing. relax the testing and fewer will get busted and the problem will "go away".

no way in hell in a sport this tough you won't have cheating. better to level the playing field by letting them all do it.

and don't give me that stuff about role models with evil people like GWB and OBL on the loose .

ed rader
Old 05-28-07, 06:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erader
you mean like a 30-day suspension for doping? yeah, that'll do the trick .

ed rader
AND a $500 fine
Old 05-28-07, 07:02 PM

Bikes: Steel geared. Steel Fix.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rufvelo
AND a $500 fine
And 1 day community service, picking up garbage by the side of a road.
Old 05-29-07, 09:10 AM
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I don't think the 4 year ban is a good idea for riders, but if the riders face the penalty, the team directors should face the SAME penalty if found to be involved in doping. Currently that is a 4 year ban from pro tour teams. I'd be all for a more reasonable approach, but I don't like to see the riders get screwed, while the team owners and directors just say "rats, they caught another rider...find a replacement and lets get on with the program."
Old 05-29-07, 09:28 AM
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
I don't think the 4 year ban is a good idea for riders, but if the riders face the penalty, the team directors should face the SAME penalty if found to be involved in doping. Currently that is a 4 year ban from pro tour teams. I'd be all for a more reasonable approach, but I don't like to see the riders get screwed, while the team owners and directors just say "rats, they caught another rider...find a replacement and lets get on with the program."
Except Riis never admitted to doping as a director.
Old 05-29-07, 10:57 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor98
However, he should be booted out of the sport, not as an official action of any governing body but as the intelligent move by the leadership of his team and by the sponsors. He is beyond tainted and should be alienated. He taints CSC, both the American company and the race team, with his guilt and associates both with a doper. Why would either want him around?
Um I am with you on the sponsors...but who on the team is going to fire him exactly? The team is Riis Sports....he OWNS the team. https://www.team-csc.com/person_profiles.asp?p_c_id=8
Old 05-29-07, 11:51 AM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
yeah, not like Floyd Landis.

Old 05-29-07, 11:52 AM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by voltman
Except Riis never admitted to doping as a director.
no, but he was famous for "developing" climbing stars like Basso and Hamilton.

wind tunnel testing.

Old 05-29-07, 02:40 PM
My Name is Nobody

Bikes: Marin, Peugeot, My Grandmother's Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+1
Old 05-29-07, 02:41 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
no, but he was famous for "developing" climbing stars like Basso and Hamilton.

wind tunnel testing.

and ressurecting Bobby Julich's career.
Old 05-29-07, 04:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Um I am with you on the sponsors...but who on the team is going to fire him exactly? The team is Riis Sports....he OWNS the team. https://www.team-csc.com/person_profiles.asp?p_c_id=8
Then I wonder how he'll do without a sponsor if they pull out. He might have some difficulties with replacing CSC- who would want to associate their brand name with doping? Time will tell.
Old 05-29-07, 09:47 PM
raodmaster shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who would want to associate their brand name with doping? Time will tell.
thats a question for all of cycling. not just CSC and Riis.
Old 05-29-07, 11:01 PM
My Name is Nobody

Bikes: Marin, Peugeot, My Grandmother's Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then I wonder how he'll do without a sponsor if they pull out. He might have some difficulties with replacing CSC- who would want to associate their brand name with doping? Time will tell.
Tend to agree with you, but now it's totally different. Let's talk business here: Riis has gained a complete credibility towards actual (and future) sponsors.

a) he has admitted taking EPO
b) he has started an independent and regular dope testing system within his team this year

If I'm a company looking to invest cheap bucks into cycling next year (rather then into NBA, duh), will I go for

Bruyneel
or will I go for
Riis ?

Francaise des Jeux or similar is not an option for me, because they never win anything !!

I choose Riis 100 times, because most of the trouble is out of his way.

One risk for Riis, a HUUUGE one: Don't have any of his top riders caught in a positive test, or other doping problem this year. Otherwise, he's gone.

For CSC Riis is now like the young talented hacker that was fooled the IT world for months, before being hired by the largest antivirus company to fight against evil. Businesswise, Riis is sitting on a huge opportunity here, but he cannot afford to fail anymore.
Old 05-30-07, 04:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamastor
One risk for Riis, a HUUUGE one: Don't have any of his top riders caught in a positive test, or other doping problem this year. Otherwise, he's gone.
Wasn't Basso his until he fired him?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.