Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1977, Colnago

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-19, 12:31 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Cwurfel
I’m not sure you guys are appreciative of how difficult it is to find the complete pantograph set...
I do. And you're correct if the panto stuff is original. Looks like your ring and post may be, but not the gear levers or stem, and I'm on the fence about the brake levers until I can see a clearer pic. Modern reproductions have been all over Ebay for the last six or seven years, maybe longer. They are easy to identify if one knows what they're looking for.

For example, here's a modern repro, done very crappily:

They sold for $149, so it's obvious there are people out there who don't know how to make the distinction.

A set of originals for comparison:

Valuations given here are pretty accurate. I'd say maybe a little high given it's a restoration without period correct (read: original) decals. The ones that use the off-font version seen here always look a little wonky to me. My opinion.

Here's a recent completed auction for a '74 with full-panto, most of which appear to be PC: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-197...p2047675.l2557

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 07-26-19 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-26-19, 03:08 PM

Bikes: 1977 Colnago, 1976 Bob Jackson, 1978 Pagnini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
It's a nice looking bike, and I'm sure it rides well (do you ride it?). You should start a build thread on it. Would love to see more detailed pics of it too.

I do agree, as previously mentioned, that some items don't look period "correct" and "matched", but since you built it as you wanted, to keep, does that really matter? It would really only matter if you wanted to
sell it (and then you'd get the barrage of "it's worth more parted out").

What's the story with the stem? I have yet to find a picture or example of another with the front logo having the black circle and club logo. The others I've seen all have a C with the club logo between the tips of the C.

The "German Shop" price is extreme. Reasonably comparable ones sell on eBay for considerably less. Locally to me, if that were for sale at $2K it would never sell. It would have to be listed on a more global marketplace to get anywhere near that price.

Realistically, if I wanted to doll-up my Colnago, which I would if cost were not an issue, I could spend 10 minutes on ebay and have every single one of those panto parts (aside from the "odd" logo'd stem), and even more panto'd items at my doorstep in a week or two. I were going to do that, I'd also go full-on and buy some "flag" panto brakes.

I like those but they definitely don’t match my set of parts I’ve seen world championship pants parts on eBay off and on, I haven’t looked lately but when I did this bike these parts were tough to find
Old 07-26-19, 04:44 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Brake levers

Those bottom brake levers look like mine but from what I read the top ones are from an 80s lineup style they did,
i also understood that the Colnago logos were stamped into the metal this means there could be a wide variation in how they looked from a change of stamp tools and change of who did it...
as far as my stem I was pretty sure it was Colnago and the bar I had to buy to match the size was smaller one, can’t remember size so I thought it was close, it was the only one I could find too.
Old 07-26-19, 04:57 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch

Visit to Mission at Carmel BTS.
That bike is much different and a lot newer, looks nice
have you guys heard of L’Eroica in Gaiole 7000 people on vintage bikes pre 1987 bikes?
Old 07-26-19, 08:01 PM
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2157 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 1,211 Posts
have you guys heard of L’Eroica in Gaiole 7000 people on vintage bikes pre 1987 bikes?
Uhhhhh. Yeah.
Old 07-26-19, 11:09 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Uhhhhh. Yeah.
No one rides bikes in that event that are new enough to have cables routed in the bars, that Colnago pictured isn’t even worth 2k cause it’s too new.
Old 07-27-19, 08:01 AM
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Too New...

No one rides bikes in that event that are new enough to have cables routed in the bars*
, that Colnago pictured isn’t even worth 2k cause it’s too new.
Perhaps a careful look at DD's link to the 1974 'nago auction, might be enlightening, maybe not.

To put "new" in a different context... never mind, perhaps it's time to let this thread go. Riling up the bears at BF seldom ends with happy faces all around. Enjoy your bike.

*By 1984 Aero routing was not unheard of, and started gaining acceptance outside of events against the clock over the next few years.
Old 07-27-19, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by rccardr
Uhhhhh. Yeah.
No one rides bikes in that event that are new enough to have cables routed in the bars, that Colnago pictured isn’t even worth 2k cause it’s too new.
Clearly, recognition of sarcasm is not your strong suit.

Regardless, your original question was "how much do you think this bike is worth?" At the end of the day, its value is either 1) what it's worth to you, even if that number is completely disconnected from reality, OR 2) what it's worth to a willing buyer on the open market. The difference between 1 and 2 can sometimes be significant. I'd venture to say that most of us including you, by your own admission that your Colnago cost more to build than it' worth on the market- own at least bicycle that has more personal value than market value.

For example, my own 83 Colnago Superissimo with original paint & equipped with correct Super Record is probably only worth about $1200 on the open market (that's 2500 Euros in steel Vintage Bike Speak), but it has a much greater value to me personally.

So it goes.
Old 07-27-19, 10:31 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
By 1984 Aero routing was not unheard of, and started gaining acceptance outside of events against the clock over the next few years.

again no one rides bike with cables routed in the bars cause they want bikes that have more of a vintage style at Gaiole, this guy comparing his bike to mine on value is silly, he clearly does not get it.

Im not sure some of the guys on this sites knowledge of old bikes is worthy of any valuation attempts.
im not sure some of these guys could ever really tell fake from real parts they didn’t give any real proof of my parts not being made for Colnago, though I definitely agree my stem is sus.
how do you decide which parts fit together, there is no literature on this.
Also that bike that sold on eBay didn’t have matched Panto parts... the guy auctioned it so the highest bidder won it instead of waiting for his price you shouldn’t sell that way, I emailed him he wasn’t too happy about the price he got said the buyer really won on that deal....
i should probably be on a Euro site instead of Donald Trump land for a more like minded view of old race bikes. No offence.

Last edited by Cwurfel; 07-27-19 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-27-19, 11:43 AM
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 2,245 Times in 1,053 Posts
Wow. Not sure why you started this thread, since you already know everything, and everyone else is just an idiot. Geez.
Old 07-27-19, 12:52 PM

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 721 Posts
By 1984 Aero routing was not unheard of, and started gaining acceptance outside of events against the clock over the next few years.

again no one rides bike with cables routed in the bars cause they want bikes that have more of a vintage style at Gaiole, this guy comparing his bike to mine on value is silly, he clearly does not get it.

Im not sure some of the guys on this sites knowledge of old bikes is worthy of any valuation attempts.
im not sure some of these guys could ever really tell fake from real parts they didn’t give any real proof of my parts not being made for Colnago, though I definitely agree my stem is sus.
how do you decide which parts fit together, there is no literature on this.
Also that bike that sold on eBay didn’t have matched Panto parts... the guy auctioned it so the highest bidder won it instead of waiting for his price you shouldn’t sell that way, I emailed him he wasn’t too happy about the price he got said the buyer really won on that deal....
i should probably be on a Euro site instead of Donald Trump land for a more like minded view of old race bikes. No offence.

Saying we're not up to par with euro bike enthusiasts like yourself and you expect us not to take offense?...such disrespect.

We all appreciate a knowledgeable person but for the sentence in bold you posted we're less welcoming.

Please by all means go to another website.

Mods sorry if im out of line but I couldn't bite my tongue with this one.

Old 07-27-19, 01:06 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Possibly a Colnago but maybe not

Originally Posted by hazetguy
Wow. Not sure why you started this thread, since you already know everything, and everyone else is just an idiot. Geez.
I didn’t say anyone was an idiot, I would just like to know what makes “Karen on Facebook” an expert on Panto parts production and timelines instead of just “those are fake”...
Likes For Cwurfel:
Old 07-27-19, 01:51 PM

This is an excellent example.
OP in this example, you need to understand that it is you who is Karen.

I also edited my first post in RED, for clarity regarding what I saw in your pantographed parts. I was not calling them counterfeit though that may be true for some... simply that they were not of a set, but stylistically looked to be made at different times, bringing the overall value lower. If that was unclear, I apologize.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-27-19 at 02:53 PM. Reason: disambiguation
Old 07-27-19, 03:03 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
It sure is beauti

How long have you had this bike? I presume this bike has been restored, (aside from the wheels).

It has many nice pantographed pieces, but I feel they might not all be from the same model group[By this I meant panto group. Individual creative variations occurred as well as broader changes that took place (such as with chain rings), which can lead to inconsistent mash-ups when pantographed parts bought separately are put on a particular frame.] To the cognoscenti, the degree to which the bicycle is unchanged from the day it left the factory, may strongly influence the price. I certainly could be mistaken, it's been a few years since I focused on the panto timelines.
How or where can we study this so I can get it correct if I want to?
Old 07-27-19, 03:09 PM

I'm just walking away here.

Last edited by rccardr; 07-27-19 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-27-19, 04:14 PM
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 6,509 Times in 3,225 Posts
It's a nice looking bike, and I'm sure it rides well (do you ride it?). You should start a build thread on it. Would love to see more detailed pics of it too.

This times ten.

**** all the unnecessary bickering.
Old 07-27-19, 05:44 PM

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
By the way, the skewers on your hubs are pre-CPSC while your front derailleur and brakes are post-CPSC. But what do I know... I live in Donald Trump land.

Enjoy your bike.

Bye, Felicia.
Old 07-27-19, 07:20 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kactus
By the way, the skewers on your hubs are pre-CPSC while your front derailleur and brakes are post-CPSC. But what do I know... I live in Donald Trump land.

Enjoy your bike.

Bye, Felicia.
Yes purposely with the skewers I like those better but that change is 1978.
the front derailleur also liked this one with the holes but I have both.
the brakes I don’t know.
you are the first that actually gave a comment which can be researched for correctness.
what do you think it’s worth 1100 bucks? Haha
Old 07-27-19, 07:42 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

This times ten.

**** all the unnecessary bickering.
Maybe I will, yes I ride it but not much. I have 2 others including a drilled Bob Jackson from I think 1976 that weighs about 19 lbs, I don’t really use them much I ride other bikes. But I rode the Bob Jackson in Gaiole, on the 209 course.
Likes For Cwurfel:
Old 07-27-19, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
No time at all lately but saw this thread-

Period correct and authenticity effect value.

The issues:

Repaint, downtube graphics set too low around the tube. The baseline should be higher. Font is close, but not 100%.

No top tube cable guides, 2 or 3 would be correct, actually this frame is most likely later as it has recessed brake fixing, 1978-

Rims- for 1977, Fiamme was in the bright finish "ERGAL" graphics period.

The lone image of an earlier Yellow label is extraneous as it is not on the bike. That image DOES show though that the bike's wheels are built incorrectly, note the satin finish rims have the spokes pulling off center to the eyelet, the polished Yellow label is built correctly. There is more to building a wheel correctly than Not crossing the valve hole.

Stem is later and probably a reproduction, nothing wrong with that, but it should be lacking top side milling, and when those arrived it was just three "dashes", no dots. "exceptional" front milling, I think the first attempt was muffed and the circle was the save.

The '72 2,999 euro shop bike has the wrong stem too. But hey, styling.

When this bike was produced, the Italians were far along the low flange hub as standard. High flange look nice, I like the older skewers too, but not correct.

Nisi rims would be a better rim choice, Martanos even.

Later shifter compression fittings, should be the earlier flat style, no conical, and internals all metallic.

"Mexico" like polished cranks, aftermarket effort, not bad but not enough softening of form. Cannot tell the crank arm year. I would have looked for a better pair of crank arm dust caps, reproductions are around now... cannot tell, but look different than the examples of Brev or Patent examples I have.

Suspect brake levers, C set too low, milling "less than" as DD pointed out. They look the part from two meters away.

Wrong bars but they have the 26.0 mm center, mixing was allowed for rider's preference. But you know that.

Inexpensive tires, but better safe than authentic, no issue save for a concours judge.

Chain should be a Record Oro or Extra Oro by Regina, and Regina Oro freewheel.

No telling of the pantograph shift levers, but they are milled to a higher standard than the brake levers.

Seatpost looks reasonably correct. Probably was done in Italy at least.

Pedal straps should be Colnago foil stamped or Alfredo Binda of some type.

All I have time for.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-28-19, 12:02 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage

The issues:

Repaint, downtube graphics set too low around the
tube. The baseline should be higher. Font is close, but not 100%.

No top tube cable guides, 2 or 3 would be correct, actually this frame is most likely later as it has recessed brake fixing, 1978-

The lone image of an earlier Yellow label is extraneous as it is not on the bike. That image DOES show though that the bike's wheels are built incorrectly, note the satin finish rims have the spokes pulling off center to the eyelet, the polished Yellow label is built correctly. There is more to building a wheel correctly than Not crossing the valve hole.

Stem is later and probably a reproduction, nothing wrong with that, but it should be lacking top side milling, and when those arrived it was just three "dashes", no dots. "exceptional" front milling, I think the first attempt was muffed and the circle was the save.

When this bike was produced, the Italians were far along the low flange hub as standard. High flange look nice, I like the older skewers too, but not correct.

Later shifter compression fittings, should be the earlier flat style, no conical, and internals all metallic.

"Mexico" like polished cranks, aftermarket effort, not bad but not enough softening of form. Cannot tell the crank arm year. I would have looked for a better pair of crank arm dust caps, reproductions are around now... cannot tell, but look different than the examples of Brev or Patent examples I have.

Suspect brake levers, C set too low, milling "less than" as DD pointed out. They look the part from two meters away.

Wrong bars but they have the 26.0 mm center, mixing was allowed for rider's preference. But you know that.

Inexpensive tires, but better safe than authentic, no issue save for a concours judge.

No telling of the pantograph shift levers, but they are milled to a higher standard than the brake levers.

All I have time for.
Thank you for input
Old 07-29-19, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage

The issues:

Repaint, downtube graphics set too low around the tube. The baseline should be higher. Font is close, but not 100%.

All I have time for.
I was hoping you would stop by.

Please stop by more often.

Clear and concise.
Old 07-29-19, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by gomango
i was hoping you would stop by.

Please stop by more often.

Clear and concise.
+1 (Re repechage)
Old 07-31-19, 09:36 AM
RVS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
nice

real nice bike
Old 07-31-19, 12:39 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RVS
real nice bike
Thanks well with the limited info I could find building it at the time especially on pantograph parts I think it turned out very well, aside from my wheels not being Nisi of course, pretty sure Colnago that left the factories in Italy and Mexico had Nisi wheels, I doubt European bike racers ever picked their own wheelsets.
And umm the fact that the parts are only possibly legitimate not sure, but probably not for sake of argument let’s just go with they are not, unless I can prove they are but there isn’t any way to do that.
hahahaha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.