Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bikepacking the new Touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bikepacking the new Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Sorry. Nope. Back before "bikepacking" bags were invented, I did off-road touring with racks and panniers over this route. That was in 1986 on a Miyata Ridge Runner presuspension. (It took 6 weeks for me to get the feeling back in my hands after that tour.) Also presuspension, I've done tours with trailers (a couple of different types) as well as post suspension and I've done tours with bikepacking gear.

For off-road touring, the bikepacking bags are better than the other two but panniers are better than a trailer. But over all panniers on racks are far better because the load is lower.

Oh, and having a suspended bike is far better than using a rigid one.

As a side note: I'm somewhat cursed when it comes to Real™ bikepacking. I don't have pictures. Some of the early ones are on film and I haven't scanned them. But for the more modern tours, I always have camera problems. I asked my daughter to change the batteries in my camera and she just took them out!? What a surprise to take out your camera and it doesn't work.

I've even gone so far at to lose my camera after breaking ribs, hike-a-biking the south side of Tin Cup Pass and climbing over 3 high Colorado passes. There is always something that keeps me from having a record of the trip.
I struggle with the concepts of pictures though. Sometimes taking pics takes away from the experience and lets be honest, besides *your* appreciation for them and *your* memories, nobody else really cares. I'm not saying that negatively, just that people are never going to understand how you felt and what you experienced which is a big part of why a picture is meaningful....
Old 04-13-18, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Bikepacking is backpacking on a bike. It is a subset of touring. Hope that clears it up for everyone.
Old 04-13-18, 03:14 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6253 Post(s)
Liked 4,279 Times in 2,397 Posts
Originally Posted by nickw
I struggle with the concepts of pictures though. Sometimes taking pics takes away from the experience and lets be honest, besides *your* appreciation for them and *your* memories, nobody else really cares. I'm not saying that negatively, just that people are never going to understand how you felt and what you experienced which is a big part of why a picture is meaningful....
It makes it harder to do a journal on crazyguy, however. Pictures make the presentation better.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-13-18, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It makes it harder to do a journal on crazyguy, however. Pictures make the presentation better.
Fair - any journals on there that don't have pics I generally skip...
Old 04-13-18, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked 1,385 Times in 726 Posts
To summarize, bikepacking is a subset of bike touring defined by the surface traveled. Bike touring it is the generic term to cover it all.
Old 04-13-18, 04:48 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by nickw
re a trip journal, what you bring up certainly has some truth to it, in my trip journals I often think of how the mix of photos and text can be used to describe my adventure. I have a pretty good understanding of how images work and the limitations that come up with showing something, so there are times where I dont have photos (either I know its not going to represent what I am experiencing well, or for cultural or just plain respectful reasons I dont take a photo of something, but use writing to describe it.
I often wish I take more random videos, not for putting together, but more for me, to hear the sounds and stuff of a situation that will be fun for me to look at.
I always appreciate how folks either use stills or video to put across a good feeling of an experience to others, and especially with video, how hard it is and how much work is involved.

but yes, I also tend not to look at trip journals without imagery, and when Im on tour, its fun for me to be a photographer again and live an experience using imagery in my story telling, even with the limitations and downsides.
Old 04-13-18, 11:16 PM

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
To summarize...
......bikepacking is a subset of bike touring defined by the surface traveled. *NO*

there is no surface bikepacked that has not been toured upon/through with racks 'n bags.
i would have said "traditional" racks and bags, but the frame/bar/seat bags used in this
"new" style of touring are basically the same bags used by bike tourists in ancient times
updated with space-age materials...before the "new and improved" racks and bags were
developed.

you might argue that bikepacking is defined by the type of luggage, so riding
the bikecentennial route on paved surface with frame and seat bags should be
included in the definition.

which means you now have the same problem as backpacking, in which you have
an ill-defined term. i bet the folks at whiteblase have heated arguments about
whether gap-year "backpackers" eurailing and staying in hostels are backpacking.

......Bike touring it is the generic term to cover it all. *YES*

Last edited by saddlesores; 04-13-18 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 02:28 AM
djb

Fricken 1898 hipsters, they really put me off with their fancy clothes and condescending looks at me on my horse as they go past me on a downhill with their feet up on those freewheeling pegs.
Old 04-14-18, 05:24 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 246 Posts
its very simple... bike packing, some little bags on the bike, not caring the whole house hold in panniers, bike behaves FAR better than with tons of weight in panniers.
Old 04-14-18, 08:50 AM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by str
bike behaves FAR better than with tons of weight in panniers.
Not really. I use bikepacking bags off-road because the bags have more clearance but the load sits higher which raises the center of gravity significantly and does have an adverse effect on the handling.

On the other hand, I've seen a number of bikes loaded for bikepacking that are more overloaded than I'd ever carry even with 4 panniers. I suspect that none of those guys in saddlesores' post 67 above raved about how well their bikes handled. Panniers, after all, were invented to distribute the load on the bike better than the previous (see above) way of carrying luggage on a bicycle.

One other thing to note about the Alpine hipsters, they don't seem to be carrying camping gear. They were the 1890s version of credit card tourist. Camping gear of that period required teams of horses to carry.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-14-18 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-14-18, 09:27 AM
str

Not really. I use bikepacking bags off-road because the bags have more clearance but the load sits higher which raises the center of gravity significantly and does have an adverse effect on the handling.

On the other hand, I've seen a number of bikes loaded for bikepacking that are more overloaded than I'd ever carry even with 4 panniers. I suspect that none of those guys in saddlesores' post 67 above raved about how well their bikes handled. Panniers, after all, were invented to distribute the load on the bike better than the previous (see above) way of carrying luggage on a bicycle.

One other thing to note about the Alpine hipsters, they don't seem to be carrying camping gear. They were the 1890s version of credit card tourist. Camping gear of that period required teams of horses to carry.
for sure, without any doubt, bike handling with a saddle bag, frame bag and handle bar bag is much lighter, easier to move... compared when using panniers. at least around here ...
Old 04-14-18, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by str
for sure, without any doubt, bike handling with a saddle bag, frame bag and handle bar bag is much lighter, easier to move... compared when using panniers. at least around here ...
Must be another universe with different physics.

Old 04-14-18, 10:07 AM
str

Must be another universe with different physics.
for sure... its about weight
Old 04-14-18, 05:22 PM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by str
I toured with a guy through Yellowstone that was riding the GDMBR and he had all the bikepacking gear, but was carrying more stuff than I with two panniers. His mate started with four panniers and had two when I met him, so he was shedding gear along the way.

If you spend time on Backpacking light, you get to understand the lightweight mindset and thats fine for carrying a pack over long distances. For the touring that I do, I haven't been able to apply the same rule, and I ride some pretty doggy stuff by today's standard, given that I come from a Mtb background. So I don't think I'll ever go down the bikepacking road unless I race or traverse some really difficult terrain, so I'm stuck with two panniers until I see the benefits.

Last edited by dancier; 04-14-18 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 06:01 PM

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

Last edited by tyrion; 04-14-18 at 06:18 PM. Reason: another typo
Old 04-15-18, 09:22 AM
str

Originally Posted by dancier
I toured with a guy through Yellowstone that was riding the GDMBR and he had all the bikepacking gear, but was carrying more stuff than I with two panniers. His mate started with four panniers and had two when I met him, so he was shedding gear along the way.

If you spend time on Backpacking light, you get to understand the lightweight mindset and thats fine for carrying a pack over long distances. For the touring that I do, I haven't been able to apply the same rule, and I ride some pretty doggy stuff by today's standard, given that I come from a Mtb background. So I don't think I'll ever go down the bikepacking road unless I race or traverse some really difficult terrain, so I'm stuck with two panniers until I see the benefits.
I understand bike-packing LIGHT and I understand touring with panniers, both done many times...

and a bike light packed ---- bike packing, behaves light years better than a bike with panniers.
Old 04-15-18, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by str
WHOOOSH! Right over your head. I'm not talking about the total but where it is carried. As I said, I've seen many bikepackers who carry as much or more than I do on a tour and it is poorly positioned.

"Weight" means more than just how much mass you are dealing with. Where you carry it has as much of an influence as how you carry it. Would you carry your touring load in a backpack on your back? Probably not because most people recognize that the load is poorly positioned and is too high. All bikepacking bags do is move the load slightly lower but still high. Vehicles with high centers of gravity handle poorly compared to vehicles with lower centers of gravity.

Exactly.

I will say that for off-road touring even the downsides of bikepacking gear...higher center of gravity, limited capacity and interferences with controls...pale in comparison with the downsides of other methods of carrying gear. Trailers are a pain for off-road use. Lowriders improve the ride of a touring bike but they really can't be used on narrow trails or where there is the possibility of catching them on road or trail debris.

I wouldn't use a light weight road tour, however. For that a pair of small panniers on a lowrider rack is far superior to bikepacking bags.

Originally Posted by str
bike packing, behaves light years better than a bike with panniers.
Not if the loads are the same.

Old 04-15-18, 11:02 AM
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
The conventional wisdom was always to carry weight low and closer to the centre of mass, thus low rider panniers and using rear panniers rather than just stacking things atop the rear rack.

Large handlebar bags suspended from the handlebars can make the steering very unstable. Now I see people with all kinds of crap lashed to the handlebars and I wonder how the bike handles.

People used to say “Load your bike not your back”, but that adage seems to be gone now.

One of the major advantages of a bike packing set up is it forces you to pack lighter
and carry less stuff. You just have to make sure your safety and comfort aren’t compromised.
Old 04-15-18, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by skookum
The conventional wisdom was always to carry weight low and closer to the centre of mass, thus low rider panniers and using rear panniers rather than just stacking things atop the rear rack.

Large handlebar bags suspended from the handlebars can make the steering very unstable. Now I see people with all kinds of crap lashed to the handlebars and I wonder how the bike handles.

People used to say “Load your bike not your back”, but that adage seems to be gone now.

One of the major advantages of a bike packing set up is it forces you to pack lighter
and carry less stuff. You just have to make sure your safety and comfort aren’t compromised.
I’ve found a 20 liter dry bag and additional pouch using a handlebar harness has far less effect on handling than the traditional rack and pannier setup. Mainly due to less weight and a solid non-moving attachment.

Don’t overlook that bikepacking gear tends to be more aerodynamic than panniers, which makes a big difference in windy areas.
Old 04-16-18, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by skookum

You are correct which is why I argue that bikepacking bags are a compromise for off-road riding. Carrying panniers when you have to ride through rough narrow areas isn't ideal. Bikepacking bags aren't ideal either but they are adequate for the task they are designed for...i.e. Real™ adventure touring.

But, as I said above, if I'm carrying the same kind of load, I'd go with panniers if I don't need the off-road capability.

Originally Posted by alan s
Don’t overlook that bikepacking gear tends to be more aerodynamic than panniers, which makes a big difference in windy areas.
I wouldn't say you can make that claim. The handlebar bag has about the same frontal area as small front panniers. The rear panniers probably have less impact on the aerodynamics because they are behind the largest aerodynamic drag on a bicycle...the rider.

Old 04-16-18, 07:33 AM

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
.....The handlebar bag has about the same frontal area as small front panniers. The rear panniers probably have less impact on the aerodynamics because they are behind the largest aerodynamic drag on a bicycle...the rider.
i would imagine your body posture would have more of an effect; sitting upright offers a
large sail to catch the wind. rear bags would be mostly in your leg turbulence zone
anyways, right?

and what about large frame bags in 20-25 knot cross winds?
Old 04-16-18, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by saddlesores
i would imagine your body posture would have more of an effect; sitting upright offers a
large sail to catch the wind. rear bags would be mostly in your leg turbulence zone
anyways, right?
I agree. The rider is the biggest aerodynamic problem with bicycling and all else pales in comparison.

Originally Posted by saddlesores
and what about large frame bags in 20-25 knot cross winds?
Yep. Panniers can be a pain in a cross wind but adding a solid piece of cloth across the largest open space on a bicycle is worse.

Old 04-16-18, 10:00 AM

You are correct which is why I argue that bikepacking bags are a compromise for off-road riding. Carrying panniers when you have to ride through rough narrow areas isn't ideal. Bikepacking bags aren't ideal either but they are adequate for the task they are designed for...i.e. Real™ adventure touring.

But, as I said above, if I'm carrying the same kind of load, I'd go with panniers if I don't need the off-road capability.

I wouldn't say you can make that claim. The handlebar bag has about the same frontal area as small front panniers. The rear panniers probably have less impact on the aerodynamics because they are behind the largest aerodynamic drag on a bicycle...the rider.
Frontal area is greater with panniers than bikepacking gear. With bikepacking gear, everything is in line. Handlebar roll, body, frame bag, saddle bag. Panniers stick out adding significantly to the frontal area. Therefore, I can indeed make that claim.
Old 04-16-18, 12:36 PM
djb

You know guys, at my meagre average power output, I'm not sure that there would be a big difference, but there has to be some. Less weight is going to help going up hill too.

I just can't be bothered spending more money on different bike stuff and just live a with what I have, and am realistic about what I am comfortable with stuff wise.
Old 04-16-18, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by alan s
Frontal area is greater with panniers than bikepacking gear. With bikepacking gear, everything is in line. Handlebar roll, body, frame bag, saddle bag. Panniers stick out adding significantly to the frontal area. Therefore, I can indeed make that claim.
The handlebar roll and the front panniers are the only thing that are going to add to the frontal surface area for headwinds. Both have about the same area so they have the same effect. Anything after the rider is going to have negligible drag as it's in the rider's wind shadow.

For side winds, the frame bag is going to present more surface area than the panniers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.