Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes are great!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disc brakes are great!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-24, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
Last time I mentioned Taylor Swift here I got banned, but I’ll try again, because people are unaware.

Celebrities, actors, and musicians have long been controlled by 3 letter agencies to sway public opinion. With the internet and the “democratization of media” it’s way easier for a random to blow up and get a following. It used to be gatekept by the record agencies and kingmakers, but now a Fortnite streamer can have a bigger following than a titan of the entertainment industry.

naturally, this is unsettling for those who seek to control the media sphere and influence public opinion. The days of Prince, Evis, or other cultural icons being important to large swaths of the public are over. The promotion of Taylor Swift across so many media platforms is a last ditch effort by the media moguls to artificially inflate her popularity. She’s one of the last big names still out there making music, and I won’t get into her history but it’s a deep dive. She’s controlled, and used to influence public opinion.

Also for anyone listening to reports about Q-anon adjacent conspiracy theories regarding Swift helping Biden, it’s a complete lie. Nobody is suggesting that, and the media is clamoring around a fake story to stoke division and increase Taylor’s popularity.
Old 02-17-24, 10:04 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10488 Post(s)
Liked 12,015 Times in 6,151 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Last time I mentioned Taylor Swift here I got banned, but I’ll try again, because people are unaware.

Celebrities, actors, and musicians have long been controlled by 3 letter agencies to sway public opinion. With the internet and the “democratization of media” it’s way easier for a random to blow up and get a following. It used to be gatekept by the record agencies and kingmakers, but now a Fortnite streamer can have a bigger following than a titan of the entertainment industry.

naturally, this is unsettling for those who seek to control the media sphere and influence public opinion. The days of Prince, Evis, or other cultural icons being important to large swaths of the public are over. The promotion of Taylor Swift across so many media platforms is a last ditch effort by the media moguls to artificially inflate her popularity. She’s one of the last big names still out there making music, and I won’t get into her history but it’s a deep dive. She’s controlled, and used to influence public opinion.

Also for anyone listening to reports about Q-anon adjacent conspiracy theories regarding Swift helping Biden, it’s a complete lie. Nobody is suggesting that, and the media is clamoring around a fake story to stoke division and increase Taylor’s popularity.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-17-24, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3980 Post(s)
Liked 7,429 Times in 2,988 Posts

naturally, this is unsettling ...
Yes, this is very unsettling ... but not for the reason you think.
Old 02-17-24, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 280 Posts
Unsettling indeed. Back to disc brakes - specifically on performance road bikes where they are heavy, fussy and unnecessary.

Whenever someone posts an opinion contrary to the current industry trend/fad, there is an immediate pile-on from the paid industry influencers, followed by a flood of irrelevant silly content perhaps designed to dilute the thread or cause it to be terminated? Deliberate tactic so that buyers looking for unbased experienced advice can only see the industry dogma?

Just so we know who is who, can we get a show of hands as to who works directly in the industry or is paid by the industry to spawn social media content? AI chatbots too please.
Old 02-17-24, 10:55 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2616 Post(s)
Liked 5,741 Times in 2,956 Posts
Does Taylor ride a bike? If not, why is she even being mentioned? Rule to dismiss and exclude immaterial evidence.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-17-24, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Unsettling indeed. Back to disc brakes - specifically on performance road bikes where they are heavy, fussy and unnecessary.

Whenever someone posts an opinion contrary to the current industry trend/fad, there is an immediate pile-on from the paid industry influencers, followed by a flood of irrelevant silly content perhaps designed to dilute the thread or cause it to be terminated? Deliberate tactic so that buyers looking for unbased experienced advice can only see the industry dogma?

Just so we know who is who, can we get a show of hands as to who works directly in the industry or is paid by the industry to spawn social media content? AI chatbots too please.
You can never have too many conspiracy theories in one thread.

Full disclosure: I'm paid by the industry to point this out, and I'm also an AI chatbot.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-17-24, 11:11 AM
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked 3,481 Times in 1,827 Posts
there is an immediate pile-on from the paid industry influencers, .
I want my goddamn paycheck!
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-17-24, 11:13 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3509 Post(s)
Liked 3,652 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Does Taylor ride a bike? If not, why is she even being mentioned? Rule to dismiss and exclude immaterial evidence.
Yes, although someone gracious sole soul needs to pump her tires.

Last edited by terrymorse; 02-17-24 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-17-24, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3253 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,521 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yes, although someone gracious sole needs to pump her tires.

According to what I read in the 41, those look about right.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-17-24, 11:22 AM

Notice how that guy in the background has his hand near his ear? That's one of her CIA handlers.

Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-17-24, 11:22 AM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26460 Post(s)
Liked 10,418 Times in 7,233 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

...posting a gif of yet another celebrity, simply plays into LarrySellerz narrative here.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 02-17-24, 11:24 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 228 Posts
Heavy? Well it has been pointed out that they aren't really that heavy.

Fussy? Changing pads every few years and bleeding couple of times per decade isn't nearly as fussy as centering dual pivots a few times per season.

Unnecessary? Who even dictates necessities for cycling. Technically all you need for a bicycle is a fixie. Everything else is heavy, fussy, and unnecessary. Show us your fixie Dave.

I used to be a lawyer, but the industry payouts were just too good to ignore. Now I make seven figures by occasionally arguing on cycling forums. Big Bike has deep pockets.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 02-17-24, 11:29 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Fussy? Changing pads every few years and bleeding couple of times per decade isn't nearly as fussy as centering dual pivots a few times per season.
Wonder why you’re having so much trouble keeping your brakes centered?
Old 02-17-24, 11:32 AM
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked 3,481 Times in 1,827 Posts
pump her tires.
Is that what you kids are calling it now?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-17-24, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7062 Post(s)
Liked 11,128 Times in 4,749 Posts

Dave, please give us your bona fides. What qualifies you to give "experienced advice"? It's an honest question; I'm curious about your riding/racing background.
Old 02-17-24, 11:37 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10488 Post(s)
Liked 12,015 Times in 6,151 Posts
Sole?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-17-24, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked 3,010 Times in 1,712 Posts

It has just struck me how well you play your role, pretending to be a hippie doofus on Bike Forums. We regulars naturally take nothing you say seriously, so as a consequence, our suspicions about who is controlling us are allayed. I hope the Deep State is paying you well. Theater major?

My only criticism, if your handlers are reading this: he lays it on just a bit too thick. No one could really be that credulous.
Old 02-17-24, 11:41 AM

...someone from this thread needs to get that woman on a CFRP road machine, with discs front and rear. She's got the wider tires, lower pressure thing going on, so that's good. But there are a loot of Swifties out there in the world, and none of them can fully enjoy the sport of cycling following her lead.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 02-17-24, 11:43 AM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
So saying that Steve Martin is a banjo virtuoso isn’t “funny” to you?

Okay then.
Not funnay. Neither funny, strange; nor funny haha. Simply not funnay. Okay then, I'm glad we're in agreement.
Old 02-17-24, 11:46 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 1,116 Posts
Sole?

rubber

Old 02-17-24, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote
Dave, please give us your bona fides. What qualifies you to give "experienced advice"? It's an honest question; I'm curious about your riding/racing background.
...what qualifies anyone to give "experienced advice" ? What would you possibly accept as "bona fides", in a thread where you've already accused at least one person of argument from authority ? Then proceeded to dismiss any experience as "tooting his own horn" ? It's an honest question.

I baked a very outstanding lime meringue pie yesterday. I'm not a cooking influencer. What are my "bona fides" in this endeavor ? I have a recipe from the Farm Journal cookbook, and have repeatedly modified it over the years, until the result is now quite wonderful. But only if you like lime meringue pie.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 02-17-24, 11:50 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3509 Post(s)
Liked 3,652 Times in 1,830 Posts
Sole?
Oops.

Old 02-17-24, 12:15 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Not funnay. Neither funny, strange; nor funny haha. Simply not funnay. Okay then, I'm glad we're in agreement.
It’s just that I never thought someone would ascribe humor, or lack thereof, to banjo playing, or any other instrument (with the possible exception of the kazoo.
Old 02-17-24, 04:08 PM

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 966 Times in 381 Posts

People make fun of you because your arguments are often hyperbolic, not because they're influencers, industry shills, or AI chatbots. The thing about your tongue hanging out and being shelled off the back of the peleton because you aren't running 1200g tubulars, is BF gold.
Old 02-17-24, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4492 Post(s)
Liked 4,964 Times in 3,069 Posts

I want to know if that avatar photo is really you or just for effect to go with your shtick, clearly designed to wind people up and create the backlash you always receive.

I find it hard to believe that you are being genuine. Do you really think people here are getting paid by Big Bike to argue against your repetitive shtick?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.