Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gravel grinding

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-18, 06:48 AM

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
All of a sudden gravel grinding seems to be all the rage. . . Give me a nice clean smooth black top any day.
Correct me if I am wrong but this has been going on for over 100 years. The first Paris-Roubaix race happened in 1896 and most of the early history of cycle racing happened on unpaved roads. But that isn't anything you don't know.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
How many of you guys actually own and ride gravel bikes? I know a few of you guys do. . .The rest are telling everyone what they are and how it is to ride them and what they are good for and why they should be ridden.
-Tim-
I am not sure mine is a gravel bike but it works well off road. I bought it because I do a lot of exploring when visiting unfamiliar areas got tired of turning around when the pavement ended. I did a metric century on gracel last week with a group and it was a blast.
Old 07-21-18, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18430 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
Skalkaho Pass in Montana. 7,250'. I nearly froze on the way down because I didn't have proper rain gear.

Old 07-21-18, 02:41 PM

Bikes: Giant AnyRoad & Panosonic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Giant calls theres AnyRoads
Old 07-21-18, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's my take as to why my first proper new road bike will be a 650b 'gravel'

For me, drops are the most comfy bar arrangement, giving multiple positions for different riding situations .

A slack, touring geometry is more conducive for long rides and commuting comfortably

Large, 650b wheels with the supple tires add suspension at its best point, at the riding surface.
A skinnier, 700c wheel and tire set can easily be swapped out if you want more road readiness, but frames only designed for skinnies don't give any real pros that make a significant impact.

Millennials need a do all bike, since they know that getting a solid bike costs a good chunk of change. But can't afford a multi bike stable that's all high end. So spend the most on the bike most suitable for multiple disciplines.
​​​​​​
Old 07-21-18, 04:22 PM
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

Traveling through Missouri and found a place to get the bike out. I am riding on the Katy Trail rails to trails and you can really roll well on this surface. Unless you hit one of these tire groove pits. Mercy too many along here.

Old 07-22-18, 04:47 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by Keiffith
Here's my take as to why my first proper new road bike will be a 650b 'gravel'

For me, drops are the most comfy bar arrangement, giving multiple positions for different riding situations .

A slack, touring geometry is more conducive for long rides and commuting comfortably

Large, 650b wheels with the supple tires add suspension at its best point, at the riding surface.
A skinnier, 700c wheel and tire set can easily be swapped out if you want more road readiness, but frames only designed for skinnies don't give any real pros that make a significant impact.

Millennials need a do all bike, since they know that getting a solid bike costs a good chunk of change. But can't afford a multi bike stable that's all high end. So spend the most on the bike most suitable for multiple disciplines.
​​​​​​
Makes sense to me ... i didn't now you "millennial" folks had good ideas. Maybe you are the exception.
Old 07-22-18, 07:32 AM

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
There have been a couple of Tom Ritchey articles over the years where he spoke of his love for riding road bikes on dirt roads and buff trails.
There was a podcast Tom was on recently where he talked about his past riding fire roads on road bikes in the 70s in California. It was part of training for some of the elite riders of the time. They called them "Jobst" rides after Jobst Brandt, a guy he used to ride with all the time and now a somewhat legendary figure in certain circles. Ritchey and a bunch on US national team members would go all day on backwoods dirt roads on very slightly modified road bikes and that Jobst would kick everyone's ass. Sounds like good times.
Old 07-22-18, 07:40 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Makes sense to me ... i didn't now you "millennial" folks had good ideas. Maybe you are the exception.
Most millennials are well into adulthood now. I'm 27, and sit roughly in the center. Teens of today are not millennials, and have a serious differentiating factor. They didn't go thru childhood seeing the world around them rapidly change from the old analog, to the modern digital internet.

So I wouldn't consider myself an exception.

​​
Old 07-22-18, 08:01 AM

Last month in Vermont.

Old 07-22-18, 08:08 AM

Sometimes unpaved roads are the best alternative. Heading to Glacier National Park from Columbia Falls you can take either Blankenship Rd. or U.S. 2. The latter has a lot of traffic (including truck and RV traffic) and a section with no shoulder just west of Hungry Horse. The former, not so much. And the scenery is much nicer.
Old 07-22-18, 08:15 AM

And you won't get these views if you opt for U.S. 93 south of Hamilton, MT instead of Old Darby Rd.

Old 07-22-18, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Large, 650b wheels with the supple tires add suspension at its best point, at the riding surface.​
I have two very similar frames, one with 700c x 38 mm tires and the other with 650b x 47 mm tires. Both work on our local fire roads, but I do favor the wider tires for rides that are predominantly on gravel. (When a lot of pavement is in the plan, I might grab the 38 mm bike instead). The wider tires provide just the right amount of comfort and stability on the fire roads that I ride without the weight and energy-sucking from a suspension fork.
Old 07-22-18, 09:50 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I have two very similar frames, one with 700c x 38 mm tires and the other with 650b x 47 mm tires. Both work on our local fire roads, but I do favor the wider tires for rides that are predominantly on gravel. (When a lot of pavement is in the plan, I might grab the 38 mm bike instead). The wider tires provide just the right amount of comfort and stability on the fire roads that I ride without the weight and energy-sucking from a suspension fork.

​Pavement in my city is terribly rough, unless your like most cyclists here and live in the posh suburbs.

Which is why 7/10 bikes I pass in the city are Walmart MTB's.
Old 07-22-18, 10:13 AM

Taking unpaved King's Pass in Idaho instead of sticking to paved roads shaved 5.3 miles off what was already a hard day while adding only 275' of climbing. 3 miles up and 3 miles down.
Old 07-22-18, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
​Pavement in my city is terribly rough, unless your like most cyclists here and live in the posh suburbs.
It's rough where I live too. It was actually a rough stretch of local pavement that inspired me to try the 650b tires in the first place.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Taking unpaved King's Pass in Idaho instead of sticking to paved roads shaved 5.3 miles off what was already a hard day while adding only 275' of climbing. 3 miles up and 3 miles down.
That looks amazing. The photos in this thread are almost better than the discussion
Old 07-22-18, 10:59 AM

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

Which is why 7/10 bikes I pass in the city are Walmart MTB's.
City pavement is worse than single track.
suburb riding is crazy, the snooty people trying to run you over is bizarre!

I really do hate the city, and I also hate the suburbs.

So If I ever had a gripe about the gravel riding taking off, it is seeing a flux of city people flocking to what used to be nice and quiet.
Old 07-22-18, 11:08 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's rough where I live too. It was actually a rough stretch of local pavement that inspired me to try the 650b tires in the first place.
That's what is inspiring me to get 650b. I love riding but my back Doesn't like the bumps.

Originally Posted by Metieval
City pavement is worse than single track.
suburb riding is crazy, the snooty people trying to run you over is bizarre!

I really do hate the city, and I also hate the suburbs.

So If I ever had a gripe about the gravel riding taking off, it is seeing a flux of city people flocking to what used to be nice and quiet.
My city hasn't seen growth since the 60's, so the housing and low density reflects that. If i stay off the main arteries i like it, but usually those roads are in a rougher state since they have only been repaving main roads for the past 2 decades
​​​
Old 07-22-18, 11:17 AM

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
That's what is inspiring me to get 650b. I love riding but my back Doesn't like the bumps.

My city hasn't seen growth since the 60's, so the housing and low density reflects that. If i stay off the main arteries i like it, but usually those roads are in a rougher state since they have only been repaving main roads for the past 2 decades
​​​
a 65x47 seems to be your calling then. 650b slicks + a 35 degree sweep handle bar = Plush!!!!

gravel can just be graded smooth. The problem with city streets is they bury all the water sewer etc under the pavement. then they dig it up, do repairs, and then some 'no care worker' does a shoddy patch job. add no growth, and now you compound the problem.

regardless the return to larger tires on bicycles is a good thing. in my opinion.
Old 07-22-18, 01:05 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
a 65x47 seems to be your calling then. 650b slicks + a 35 degree sweep handle bar = Plush!!!!

gravel can just be graded smooth. The problem with city streets is they bury all the water sewer etc under the pavement. then they dig it up, do repairs, and then some 'no care worker' does a shoddy patch job. add no growth, and now you compound the problem.

regardless the return to larger tires on bicycles is a good thing. in my opinion.
I like my drops, I just feel my spine tingle when the bumps come thru.

I'm thinking gravel kings by panaracer in 42c.
Old 07-22-18, 05:42 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by timothyh
^^ that's rocks, not gravel.

That stuff will slice the sidewall of any decent gravel tire pretty quickly. I'd ride the dirt on the side of the road even with 40's.

I'd carry the bike if i had 28's.
+1
Old 07-22-18, 05:45 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

I am pretty much a roadie. When I hit the rail/trails it's on this......
Old 07-23-18, 05:06 AM

That looks amazing. The photos in this thread are almost better than the discussion
Thanks. The road pitched up to around 9% for a bit, but there was no traffic so I could "deliver the paper" to cut down on the severity.

I have been incorporating more gravel into my tours. One usually gets less traffic and nicer scenery. Sometimes that happens accidentally, like last month heading south through Vermont.

But it's not always pretty. If you want to ride west from Butte, MT to Anaconda you have to ride dirt or spend some miles on I-90. Done it a couple of times. The last time I forgot about a spot that looks benign but is actually quite messy if there has been a lot of rain recently. Rolled through it instead of walking around the spot on on the grass and sunk into the mud abut 3". Had to power wash my bike and shoes when I reached town.

Old 07-23-18, 06:02 AM

Three more from my first time riding Melrose Bench.

Old 07-23-18, 06:04 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
All, there is a gravel ride pics thread in the CXGB forum.

Gravel Ride Pics

Your photo's would be very warmly welcomed in that thread.

-Tim-
Old 07-23-18, 09:22 AM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
All of a sudden gravel grinding seems to be all the rage. But not for me. From the 3rd grad to the 9th when I lived on the farm, riding my bike to school on gravel roads gave me all the gravel grinding I wanted for a life time. Give me a nice clean smooth black top any day.
I agree, smooth black top is great. It's fast and fun and the bike just glides. I grew up in No. Va. where everything is paved and my summers were filled with endless winding neighborhood roads through suburbia on a road bike.

Now in Mi, I just don't live in a place where there is all that much pavement to ride. At least not without taking your life in your hands. Or driving to a trail. After dabbling in mountain biking, I found gravel road biking and love it. I again have endless miles of roads with few to no cars on them. The scenery is far better as well. It's not as fast, but that just builds my legs. I do work near a state park that has some very nice blacktop for biking and will take my road bike down to get pavement, but the routes are limited and that gets old after a while. There's nothing else like heading out from your driveway on a bike and halfway through the ride, deciding to go right instead of left in search of a road you've not been down before.

To me, what gravel biking represents on the consumer side is all the places in this country where road biking has been pretty inaccessible finding the joys of road riding. It's road biking, just on the roads that we have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.