Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

If you commuted, Would you have an E-Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

If you commuted, Would you have an E-Bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 02:20 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
As much as I'd like to jump on that theory, it isn't legal to ride on all ped used routes.
The bike paths around my neck of the woods all have signs posted stating "No motorized vehicles allowed" That does include e-bikes. The electric windings make up a motor.

Also, the amount of use that those e-bikes might see around here is at best five months out of 12. Factor in theft/crime, it just doesn't seem like a favorable idea. Might be best to just relocate closer to work that might make a fat tire bike a better choice when the snow hits.
Depends on what class ebike:
https://peopleforbikes.org/wp-conten...mpressed-1.pdf
Old 10-22-18, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Have you checked the applicable rules/regs? A few weeks ago I was cycling on an M.U.P. run by the PA state park system. Several signs reading "NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES." Saw two people with e-assist bikes and got curious. Found out that the PA state parks allow ebike use wherever regular bike use is allowed. In other words, they don't consider an ebike (as defined in the rules) as a "motorized vehicle."
Know the laws in your state:
https://peopleforbikes.org/wp-conten...compressed.jpg
Old 10-22-18, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by badger1
Ummmm ... there is an E-bike sub-forum on here (I have no idea why; these contraptions have nothing to do with cycling) for people interested in electric mopeds of all sorts. You should ask to have this thread moved there.

Me? Nope. No interest. I'm interested in bicycles -- the use thereof for various purposes -- and the activity of cycling.
Pedal assist ebikes are classified as bicycles. They are not mopeds.
Old 10-22-18, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 421 Posts
I have a power-assist bike which I use for taking my daughter to school, and for light shopping duties. But for regular commuting I use an ordinary bike. I don't need an E-bike to keep ahead of traffic in Tokyo. Though public transportation is cheap and timely, and almost everyone has a bike (especially power-assist bikes), electric bikes have not caught on here. Most people see them as a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.
Old 10-22-18, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
If trade shows like inter bike are any indication, ebikes are going to be a large portion of all bike sales in the near future. I read half of all bikes on display at inter bike this year were ebikes. This is a huge growth sector so manufacturers would be silly to ignore development.

Right now there are two sectors: the "boutique" higher end models from well known bicycle brands like specialized, giant, focus, pivot, and from higher end ebike specific manufacturers such as rinse and muller and stormer. These models typically have purpose built frames with integrated or even internal batteries. Mid drives seem to be the norm here. Carbon frames are not uncommon. And yes these bikes generally look expensive. The frame lines are beautifully sculpted and the batteries beautifully integrated into the downtube.

The second consists of generic Chinese frame based ebikes. These bikes constitute the vast majority of ebike sales, with most hardtails selling for $2K or less. Even some full sus ebikes are priced in this range, although $3K full sus ebikes are more common. These are almost always direct order ebikes shipped straight to your door with limited customer service and no shop support whatsoever.

Warning: these ebikes are ridiculously fun to ride and the grin factor is off the charts, especially with emtb's. Some of the motors especially Bosch, feel so powerful, that the bike like feel is lost since they require so little pedaling effort to generate high speeds.

I thought ebikes were a joke when they were first introduced into he market but after multiple test rides and demo's, its hard to describe how fun they are to ride. I'll likely start out with a direct order model, and my choices have narrowed considerably after a lot of research.
Old 10-22-18, 04:44 AM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,936 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Oh really. Maybe in your neck of the woods..? But I doubt it. It'll be like here.

Here, an e-bike is classed as a bicycle in every legal way, shape and form, and can be used in every way any bicycle can, as long as it conforms to the legal standard.

Pedal assist
250w
15.5mph (I believe it's 20mph over in the States)

Your theory about 'electric windings' has nothing to do with the law because an e-bike is not a self-propelled vehicle and therefore not legally categorised as a motorised vehicle.

https://www.electrical4u.com/electri...tory-of-motor/
Electrical Motor
The motor or an electrical motor is a device that has brought about one of the biggest advancements in the fields of engineering and technology ever since the invention of electricity. A motor is nothing but an electro-mechanical device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It's because of motors, life is what it is today in the 21st century. Without the motor, we had still been living in Sir Thomas Edison’s Era where the only purpose of electricity would have been to glow bulbs. There are different types of motor have been developed for different specific purposes.
In simple words, we can say a device that produces rotational force is a motor. The very basic principle of functioning of an electrical motor lies on the fact that force is experienced in the direction perpendicular to magnetic field and the current, when field and current are made to interact with each other.
On the bike path in my local area, there are no MPH limitations. Purposed as such to not have the posted MPH regulations as most place might, due to my paths having the restrictions in place of the "motorized vehicles".
There are the pedal assisted gasoline bikes that were popular in the 80's that often try to ride the bike paths here. 99% of them are cited for improper use of the path. Whether they are just issued a warning or actually ticketed, it's up to the offender for any attitude they wish to present at the time of being caught riding along the path.
Old 10-22-18, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have motorbikes for commuting
Old 10-22-18, 06:13 AM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
All I can say is that, in my case, the e-bike haters won. I no longer ride an e-bike. I actually loaned it to my father for an extended period. I still walk to work; but anywhere that I would have previously ridden my e-bike, I now just drive my jeep.

Yep, here on "just drive a car forum I am admitting it, you guys win.
Old 10-22-18, 06:20 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,685 Times in 830 Posts
I commute and won't be getting an ebike. Defeats the purpose for me.
+1 Bike commuting is my fitness routine.
Old 10-22-18, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Riding an ebike would be like losing my manhood.
Old 10-22-18, 06:29 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
When are we going to realize that e-bikes are the next moped? Vehicle laws will be rewritten and technology will prevail with those free enterprise marketing skills in full force and effect.

Millennials won't be able to afford what they consider an affordable mode of transportation, so it goes the e-bike way. At least temporarily, until they get a higher paying job.

Aren't we all in that transitional state of mind yet?
Old 10-22-18, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18468 Post(s)
Liked 15,734 Times in 7,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Riding an ebike would be like losing my manhood.
Was that difficult for you?
Old 10-22-18, 06:44 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
My commute is a pretty easy and flat 6 mile pedal from my home. So electric assist seems unnecessary.
But I could see the time when electric assist on a longer more vertical ride might be fun and helpful.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-22-18, 07:01 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,714 Times in 2,532 Posts
If I do a regular commute again, I will have an ebike. Just too much climbing on the way to work. And what I found was that I would not ride given any little excuse. The biggest one was if I was running a little late. No place I could work around here would be so far that a shower before work would make sense. So I always rode really slowly into work to avoid sweat. An ebike would win the time competition because of the parking situation being so bad.

ebikes are growing among a segment that doesn't really consider cycling for transportation. It would be great if we got some of the people out of cars. I could stand a bike rush hour a lot better than a car rush hour.

I plan on getting an ebike for errands anyway, it's just that usage isn't quite as compelling as commuting. I ride my bike enough miles a year under my own power that I don't have to pick up the few piddling miles from errands or a commute. And pedal assist is exercise, just not quite as much.
Old 10-22-18, 07:24 AM

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I do commute, 70 miles per week. Despite some really hot days, as well as some days just having worked hard and not having optimal energy, don’t really feel like going to a moped, er, e-bike.
Old 10-22-18, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 226 Posts
I don't commute via cycling so I can't speak directly to the point. However, I've said this before (and gotten BBQ for it), I think that some people go straight to the Ebike option without considering that a regular bike would be just fine. Seems like an Ebike would be more complicated, expensive and you lose out on some of the healthy benefits of cycling.
Old 10-22-18, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18468 Post(s)
Liked 15,734 Times in 7,396 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
The problem with throwing that out there is the scope is limited. Look at the eMTB Guidelines. They note rules vary, and the Trails section also has limited scope. There are trails in the state that are managed by various local government agencies, not-for-profits, etc. (One, the Snow Shoe Trail, requires an annual membership fee.) Those entities are not bound by state laws applicable to state-owned land or what the state defines as an ""E-Bike" for road use.
Old 10-22-18, 08:07 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
All I can say is that, in my case, the e-bike haters won. I no longer ride an e-bike. I actually loaned it to my father for an extended period. I still walk to work; but anywhere that I would have previously ridden my e-bike, I now just drive my jeep.

Yep, here on "just drive a car forum I am admitting it, you guys win.
Why? I thought that you enjoyed it.
Old 10-22-18, 10:12 AM

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
If I didn't have a shower at work I could see riding an e-bike as a commuter. However I do have a shower at work - as well as at home, so I much prefer riding as hard as I can, getting 100% of my power from my legs. This is good fitness for me, and it allows me to eat more food, which is nice. We'll see if I change my tune when I get old(er).

I do see quite a few e-bikes on the MUPs around here, and am slightly annoyed by them, but I should probably give them more slack than I do.
Old 10-22-18, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I fully expect that in the next 20 years, e-bikes will become predominant. Cycling has always been somewhat of a subculture, and will become more of one.

Probably the most common question that my work colleagues ask me, when they find out that I bike to work, is: Why don't you get an e-bike?
Old 10-22-18, 10:33 AM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,936 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I fully expect that in the next 20 years, e-bikes will become predominant. Cycling has always been somewhat of a subculture, and will become more of one.

Probably the most common question that my work colleagues ask me, when they find out that I bike to work, is: Why don't you get an e-bike?
I am asked, "How are those recumbent thingies?" When I do not have one. Or the other question, "why are your tires narrow? You should look in to those wide tires I see people on at the beach or in the snow" While I don't ride in those conditions.
Old 10-22-18, 10:36 AM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
If my commute was substantially longer than it is now, which is currently 19 km one-way, then I'd consider it. Like maybe if was close to 30 km.

I, for one, though would totally welcome an influx of ebikes on the roads. It means that there's more of us. More of use means drivers have to take notice more often of cyclists, and that's good for all cyclists. Alas, I don't think that even a motorized bike is going to entice commuters to adopt this mode of transportation. People are just inherently lazy...BF'mites notwithstanding, of course.
Old 10-22-18, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
If my commute was substantially longer than it is now, which is currently 19 km one-way, then I'd consider it. Like maybe if was close to 30 km.

I, for one, though would totally welcome an influx of ebikes on the roads. It means that there's more of us. More of use means drivers have to take notice more often of cyclists, and that's good for all cyclists. Alas, I don't think that even a motorized bike is going to entice commuters to adopt this mode of transportation. People are just inherently lazy...BF'mites notwithstanding, of course.
Agreed. If it gets more people commuting in an environmentally friendly way, I'm all for it.

Do you what the rules for e-bikes are in Toronto? My understanding is that an e-assist bike (or whatever you call it when the motor helps you turn the pedals, but you must pedal to go) is legal anywhere a regular bike is. While an e-bike (as in one that has pedals as an optional back-up and the motor turns the wheel directly) is legal on the bike lanes, but not in the MUPs. Do you know if that's correct?

ETA: I'm about 11km each way and use this as part of my exercise. So, at this point I have no desire for an e-bike.
Old 10-22-18, 10:49 AM

The problem with throwing that out there is the scope is limited. Look at the eMTB Guidelines. They note rules vary, and the Trails section also has limited scope. There are trails in the state that are managed by various local government agencies, not-for-profits, etc. (One, the Snow Shoe Trail, requires an annual membership fee.) Those entities are not bound by state laws applicable to state-owned land or what the state defines as an ""E-Bike" for road use.
You are from PA but you didn't know class 1 ebikes are allowed in your state parks.
Old 10-22-18, 11:06 AM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Agreed. If it gets more people commuting in an environmentally friendly way, I'm all for it.

Do you what the rules for e-bikes are in Toronto? My understanding is that an e-assist bike (or whatever you call it when the motor helps you turn the pedals, but you must pedal to go) is legal anywhere a regular bike is. While an e-bike (as in one that has pedals as an optional back-up and the motor turns the wheel directly) is legal on the bike lanes, but not in the MUPs. Do you know if that's correct?

ETA: I'm about 11km each way and use this as part of my exercise. So, at this point I have no desire for an e-bike.
This is an excerpt from the MTO pamplet on bike safety regarding eBikes:

WHERE CAN e-BICYCLISTS RIDE?
You can ride your bike or e-bike on most roads and highways where conventional bikes are permitted, with some exceptions. You CANNOT ride your e-bike:
On certain provincial controlled access highways, such as the 400 series, the Queen Elizabeth Way, the Ottawa Queensway or the Kitchener-Waterloo Expressway
On municipal roads, including sidewalks, where bicycles are banned under municipal by-laws
On municipal roads, sidewalks, bike paths, bike trails or bike lanes where e-bikes are prohibited

The following are not bicycles and are subject to different rules for use in Ontario.
Limited-speed motorcycles
Mopeds (motor-assisted bicycles)
Low-speed vehicles
Electric and motorized scooters
Pocket bikes
Segways

It does't say where you can ride; just where you can't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.