Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 11:12 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
The "value" of something is not what the consumer deems the cost of the materials, parts, etc to be. the value is what someone is willing to pay for it...
So you don't subscribe to Karl Marx' Labor Theory of Value?
Old 01-13-23, 11:17 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You’re speaking about a personal/subjective decision. These threads are problematic mainly because some people, like the OP, speak in absolutes – as if they’re making that judgment for all of us.

In my training as an economist, it was drilled into me that wants are subjective … We simply don’t judge other people’s preferences. I try to carry that philosophy into my non-professional life as well.
One of the strangest aspects of "worth" is something I've witnessed over and over on watch forums. Someone inherits a watch from a father or grandfather. They immediately want to know "What's it worth?" even though they swear they'd never sell it. Then they ask it it's valuable enough to spend the $200 or so to get it serviced and running properly, as if the market value is the determining factor, rather than their own desire to wear, use, and cherish an heirloom.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-13-23, 11:20 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
To a person who rides a $200 bike and is perfectly happy with it, a $2000 bike might as well be a $14,000 bike as far as they are concerned, too much, frivolous, made for show offs. Or a more mature approach, if they have the money and it makes them happy, so be it.

Old 01-13-23, 11:20 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's not about affordability. I could go to my LBS right now and purchase a $ 14 000 bike with cash if I wanted to. But what's the point of spending that much on a bicycle ?.
You bark about practicality, and how an expensive bike must be about wanting to show off, but seem to be ignorant to (or intentionally ignore) the emotional component in the equation. To me, top-end bikes are exciting. I want to get on and ride...A LOT!!. Sure, a mid-level aluminum bike will get me to where I'm going, and probably at about the same speed (maybe), but that kind of bike doesn't excite my passion to ride in the same way as a lightweight CF bike with deep wheels and top-end parts. Browsing though the "hot or not" thread, there are some bikes that make me go, "OH, YEAH!!", and others that make me go, "Meh". Maybe you haven't felt those kinds of emotions about bikes, but I sure do, and I know plenty of other folks that also do. It's doubtful I will ever have the financial freedom to purchase a brand-new top-end bike, but I have no hard feelings towards my friends that can. What matters more is that we share a similar passion about riding the bikes we have.

Another factor is that experienced cyclists can feel and appreciate the subtle differences between a good bike and a great bike - how the bike handles at high speed, the quickness and precision of the shifting, how it responds to power, etc. These things matter to some people.

Last edited by Eric F; 01-13-23 at 11:45 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 01-13-23, 11:21 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
With my assets, certainly not worth it to me. But to a high paid (insert whichever) sports star, it could be a "drop in the bucket". If I had the $$$$ and the purchase wouldn't affect my purchasing power for whatever else, then I might buy a 5 (or 6) figure bike. I'm not buying a 6-7 figure car or yacht either. It's all relative.
To answer the original ? though, I don't think a bike is worth 5 figures.
Old 01-13-23, 11:26 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Electric, cableless brakes with buttons/pressure pads instead of levers like electronic shifters. They should be here already.
All-electric braking will never happen. No manufacturer in their right mind would make a safety item like brakes 100% dependent on electricity.

Electric-assisted braking, maybe. Just as in cars, where you can lose all electrical power and still stop the car.

BTW, we already have cable-less brakes. Lots of hydraulic brakes options for years now.

Old 01-13-23, 11:27 AM

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
I spent most of my working life selling luxury automobiles:,Porsche , Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW. I know all about luxury items. At least you get a 3,000-5,000 pound vehicle with lots of moving parts that will go 100mph.

For $14,000, one will get a very nice motorcycle, not a basic bike. For $5300 one can get a Kawasaki Ninja 400 which will do a 13 second quarter mile and has a top speed of 116 mph. This is probably the best entry level motorcycle on the market. It is a very highly thought of product.I have had lots of bicycles and motorcycles in my life. If I’m spending more than $5,000 on two wheels, it will definitely be a motorcycle.

Just because one can afford to spend $14,000 on a bicycle doesn’t mean one should. Don’t encourage the manufacturer’s to overprice their products. Would you trust your life to a doctor who is stupid enough to spend $14,000 on a bicycle?

As someone once said, “it’s not about the bike”.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack

Last edited by vonfilm; 01-13-23 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Error
Old 01-13-23, 11:29 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Either buy the $14k bike or don't. Seriously, who gives a flying *%$@ whether you think it's worth it or not?

I've got COVID. I really need a more entertaining troll thread than this.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-13-23, 11:30 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Electric, cableless brakes with buttons/pressure pads instead of levers like electronic shifters. They should be here already. Maybe a pressure pad type control that runs the length of each handlebar. You could shft/brake from any position on the bar. The auto industry has done away with most if not all cable type linkage. Maybe we'll have a thread on that in the future. Look how much the cars of the future will depend on electronics. It will probably be the same for bicycles.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/04/tech/...ela/index.html
We're heading far too quickly towards "I can't ride my bike because it won't connect to the internet" - LOL
Old 01-13-23, 11:31 AM
Habitual User

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Either buy the $14k bike or don't. Seriously, who gives a flying *%$@ whether you think it's worth it or not?

I've got COVID. I really need a more entertaining troll thread than this.
I hope you recover quickly.
Old 01-13-23, 11:34 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by vonfilm
I spent most of my working life selling luxury automobiles:,Porsche , Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW. I know all about luxury items. At least you get a 3,000-5,000 pound vehicle with lots of moving parts that will go 100mph.

For $14,000, one will get a very nice motorcycle, not a basic bike. For $5300 one can get a Kawasaki Ninja 400...
C'mon, live a little

https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/motor...sport/ninja-h2
Old 01-13-23, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
All-electric braking will never happen. No manufacturer in their right mind would make a safety item like brakes 100% dependent on electricity.

Electric-assisted braking, maybe. Just as in cars, where you can lose all electrical power and still stop the car.

BTW, we already have cable-less brakes. Lots of hydraulic brakes options for years now.
My mistake. I meant the control levers. Get rid of the hand levers and go to something like pressure pads/buttons to operate the system. Make it where you can do it from anywhere on the bike. You could even put them in a pair of gloves with the sensors on the fingertips and the palms.
Old 01-13-23, 11:44 AM
Habitual User

Originally Posted by vonfilm
Would you trust your life to a doctor who is stupid enough to spend $14,000 on a bicycle?
Depends. What kind of bike did they buy?

More importantly...What makes you an authority on what is "stupid" or not when it comes to other people's decisions about value?
Old 01-13-23, 11:44 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
My mistake. I meant the control levers. Get rid of the hand levers and go to something like pressure pads/buttons to operate the system. Make it where you can do it from anywhere on the bike. You could even put them in a pair of gloves with the sensors on the fingertips and the palms.
You can use electric buttons for shifting, which is not safety critical. In fact, they already exist: SRAM Red eTap Blip Shift Buttons.

But you'll never see buttons or switches for braking. There you need mechanical action, for when the power goes out.

Old 01-13-23, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
So you don't subscribe to Karl Marx' Labor Theory of Value?
In my experience, even most Marxist economists don’t subscribe to it.
Old 01-13-23, 11:55 AM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
This is my current dream bike: https://www.sturdycycles.co.uk/models/cilla
People like the OP and others can say "it's so overpriced you can buy 400 toasters" or whatever but it is a work of art, functional art and Tom has certainly put some time and effort into this. Putting a groupset on this would add more to the cost luckily cranks w/ chainring, headset, fork, seatpost, BB, and custom bar/stem and some other fun goodies come with it.

If you want to spend that kind of money on a bike go for it especially a work of art like the Cilla or any one of his other models. If you think a $2000 will be exactly the same or even better then have your strange and incorrect beliefs you are allowed to do that. However having silly threads complaining that something is expensive because maybe you cannot afford it or maybe you can but are trying to be a person of the people with one standard brown shoe for everyone is just silly. Folks it is a bike forum called Bike Forums enjoy bikes for pugs sake. People always have to do the whole reverse snobbery thing and it is old and tired and not needed.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-13-23, 11:57 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by terrymorse
You can use electric buttons for shifting, which is not safety critical. In fact, they already exist: SRAM Red eTap Blip Shift Buttons.
Electronic shifting buttons were around in the early '90s,

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-13-23, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Advice: if you are going to buy a bike, now is the time. Shops are dead, and the owners and staff want to be your friend. In 2 months, during the first dry warm weekend, folks will be lined out the door ready to wait 2 weeks and pay big $ for a 5 minute derailleur tweak.

It is like skiing. During the weekdays, the hills are covered in fresh powder, the staff are friendly and no lineups. During weekends, the surly staff call-in sick, a traffic nightmare to get to the hill, and prices and lineups go up for everything.

$14k for a road bike? No. I just bought a new 11-speed Dura-Ace Di2 kit for $1,500. UCI-level carbon frame/fork/bars direct from Asia will cost about $1k. Campagnolo Shamal wheels less than $1k. The rest: scavenged from my overflowing horde. All in, a sub-16 pound bike for well under $5k. Rim brakes of course, as discs are heavy, fussy and unnecessary. Spec'ing the gear yourself can also avoid the major PITA of fully integrated brake and shifter housings.

If you need service, then buy retail. If you don't, buying second-hand, or building yourself cuts out several layers of middlemen and the expensive retail infrastructure. Plus the big-3 brands big costs for marketing, promotions, racer sponsorships, lawyers, and pharmaceuticals.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 01-13-23, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F
We're heading far too quickly towards "I can't ride my bike because it won't connect to the internet" - LOL
Better get a mount for your smart phone. We're already there.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-13-23, 12:08 PM
Habitual User

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets

Yes, but ones that actually work reliably are much more recent - LOL.
Old 01-13-23, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets

If anyone is interested, I know a former BF member that might still have the complete group. Heck, some of you may know the person as well.
Old 01-13-23, 12:12 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Eric F
Yes, but ones that actually work reliably are much more recent - LOL.
Hahaha, yeah they were a little problematic Good thing Shimano came out with brifters at just about the same time, saved us all
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-13-23, 12:12 PM

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Originally Posted by veganbikes
This is my current dream bike: https://www.sturdycycles.co.uk/models/cilla
People like the OP and others can say "it's so overpriced you can buy 400 toasters" or whatever but it is a work of art, functional art and Tom has certainly put some time and effort into this. Putting a groupset on this would add more to the cost luckily cranks w/ chainring, headset, fork, seatpost, BB, and custom bar/stem and some other fun goodies come with it.

If you want to spend that kind of money on a bike go for it especially a work of art like the Cilla or any one of his other models. If you think a $2000 will be exactly the same or even better then have your strange and incorrect beliefs you are allowed to do that. However having silly threads complaining that something is expensive because maybe you cannot afford it or maybe you can but are trying to be a person of the people with one standard brown shoe for everyone is just silly. Folks it is a bike forum called Bike Forums enjoy bikes for pugs sake. People always have to do the whole reverse snobbery thing and it is old and tired and not needed.
I do find this Titanium hand built bicycle more appealing and a better value than the $14,000 Specialized Carbon bike. I expect it would last forever with reasonable care, something that cannot be reasonably be predicted for a carbon fiber bike. The most expensive new bike I ever purchased was a new Davidson Impulse in 1989 for about $1100. Probably about $3,000 in todays dollars. I have strongly considered ordering a custom hand built Mercian frame set for about $3,000. I would never pay much for a carbon fiber bicycle.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Old 01-13-23, 12:13 PM
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Advice: if you are going to buy a bike, now is the time. Shops are dead, and the owners and staff want to be your friend. In 2 months, during the first dry warm weekend, folks will be lined out the door ready to wait 2 weeks and pay big $ for a 5 minute derailleur tweak.

It is like skiing. During the weekdays, the hills are covered in fresh powder, the staff are friendly and no lineups. During weekends, the surly staff call-in sick, a traffic nightmare to get to the hill, and prices and lineups go up for everything.

$14k for a road bike? No. I just bought a new 11-speed Dura-Ace Di2 kit for $1,500. UCI-level carbon frame/fork/bars direct from Asia will cost about $1k. Campagnolo Shamal wheels less than $1k. The rest: scavenged from my overflowing horde. All in, a sub-16 pound bike for well under $5k. Rim brakes of course, as discs are heavy, fussy and unnecessary. Spec'ing the gear yourself can also avoid the major PITA of fully integrated brake and shifter housings.

If you need service, then buy retail. If you don't, buying second-hand, or building yourself cuts out several layers of middlemen and the expensive retail infrastructure. Plus the big-3 brands big costs for marketing, promotions, racer sponsorships, lawyers, and pharmaceuticals.
Wait...Aren't you the guy who said you walked into a bike shop, told them that you had $15k to spend on a new bike, but refused to buy one because it had disc brakes? Interesting that you're now being critical about others who will spend that much. Or, maybe your $15k story was fabricated as part of your "disc brakes are bad" campaign.
Old 01-13-23, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer

Good job. You are a wise man.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.