Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Non-folding 20" inch wheel commuter?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Non-folding 20" inch wheel commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 03:38 PM

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So what's it doing propped up against a 1966/7 UK registered van type vehicle ?
Old 09-30-16, 06:18 PM

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
It is the van of the Bannard dealer in Singapore. He took the bike out of the van, I propped it against the van, and snapped the foto. Said bicycle now resides moth-balled in my home in Indonesia, the basis of a custom build for the future. Here it is just a few days when I took inventory of my stock:

Originally Posted by Diode100
So what's it doing propped up against a 1966/7 UK registered van type vehicle ?

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 09-30-16 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-22-16, 05:51 AM

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

here you go. here's another look...

Originally Posted by Ozonation
Wow... what is the make/model of the light blue bike with the nice upper arc? Sweet!

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 10-22-16 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-22-16, 08:14 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3189 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
If you meant this bike, it is a Bannard Tension-R.
Really beautiful, but damn, saddle-to-bar reach is probably best measured in microns rather than millimeters! That thing is short short on the front end!

At my height of 6 feet and long inseam, I could not ride ride that, probably not even bolt upright with high-rise handlebars. Maybe if they steepened the HTA a couple of degrees...

It's really handsome, and as a Nano rider, I get your point about wheel location in relation to saddle; a bit more wheelbase would smooth the ride and reducing pitching over bumps, making for a more "normal" ride feel. Not that stubby/rear weight bias bikes aren't fun, they're just particular.

I guess that minivelo manufacturers, largely, are designing for the peculiarities of their key Asian markets (in terms of average height, physique, etc.) which is totally appropriate, but I can't help but think that if someone could bring a minivelo to the USA market which was fully targeted to and designed for that market, that it might have a good little run of sales.

I think Cannondale did alright with the Hooligan, but it was atypically designed and not clearly targeted. I believe BikesDirect did a ground-up design on the Nano, but aside from the aforementioned short wheelbase issue, spec'd materials and component choices which were odd (e.g. JIS threaded 1" headset) or just plain junky (e.g. stamped steel chainrings) and which really reduced the appeal to experienced and geeky cyclists, the crowd which needs to be captured to create a market base, IMO. That, or it needs to be deftly marketed to a "lifestyle" set, which we probably haven't had in a cycling sense bere until fairly recently.

I ramble, but anyway, that Bannard is beautiful.
Old 10-22-16, 06:25 PM

Measurements are as follows:
Chainstay: 44cm
Wheelbase: 103.5cm
Seat tube: 46.5
Effective top tube: 51cm

Thanks for the kind words. I finally unwrapped it yesterday, the first time seeing it unwrapoed since the first in that image leaning against the van. The frame and fork are in mint condition. A fitting reward for my troubles tracking one down, and then flying it back home, including negotiations on import duty with Customs.

I reckon it could fit you with a longer seatpost, longer stem and drop bars. The stem in the image is only 7cm. 11cm stem with 12cm reach drop bars would put the seatpost to bar hoods distance at 74cm. Still too short?

Originally Posted by chaadster
Really beautiful, but damn, saddle-to-bar reach is probably best measured in microns rather than millimeters! That thing is short short on the front end!

At my height of 6 feet and long inseam, I could not ride ride that, probably not even bolt upright with high-rise handlebars. Maybe if they steepened the HTA a couple of degrees...

It's really handsome, and as a Nano rider, I get your point about wheel location in relation to saddle; a bit more wheelbase would smooth the ride and reducing pitching over bumps, making for a more "normal" ride feel. Not that stubby/rear weight bias bikes aren't fun, they're just particular.

I guess that minivelo manufacturers, largely, are designing for the peculiarities of their key Asian markets (in terms of average height, physique, etc.) which is totally appropriate, but I can't help but think that if someone could bring a minivelo to the USA market which was fully targeted to and designed for that market, that it might have a good little run of sales.

I think Cannondale did alright with the Hooligan, but it was atypically designed and not clearly targeted. I believe BikesDirect did a ground-up design on the Nano, but aside from the aforementioned short wheelbase issue, spec'd materials and component choices which were odd (e.g. JIS threaded 1" headset) or just plain junky (e.g. stamped steel chainrings) and which really reduced the appeal to experienced and geeky cyclists, the crowd which needs to be captured to create a market base, IMO. That, or it needs to be deftly marketed to a "lifestyle" set, which we probably haven't had in a cycling sense bere until fairly recently.

I ramble, but anyway, that Bannard is beautiful.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 10-22-16 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 10:13 PM

Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got one

Originally Posted by smallwheeler
yes. i have to agree. also, i think the best of them all was the sillgey piccolo. wow. such a nice full cromo bike with very nice details. the mk2 had scalloped seat tube, custom dropouts and seatstay pins. that this platform hasn't really succeeded in the US yet is down to marketing.

OMG I am so psyched, I managed to snag a mk2 piccolo frame set in black new off eBay I cannot wait to build it(I am all about single speed at the moment). There are still like 2 framesets on ebay somebody should jump on that!!!
Old 01-17-17, 11:48 PM

Sweet. how do you plan to do it up?

Originally Posted by thugpipe
OMG I am so psyched, I managed to snag a mk2 piccolo frame set in black new off eBay I cannot wait to build it(I am all about single speed at the moment). There are still like 2 framesets on ebay somebody should jump on that!!!
Old 01-18-17, 04:31 AM

Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Sweet. how do you plan to do it up?
Well, I am debating between sitting on it for while and doing a ground up build using 451 wheels or taking all the parts from my respect cycles build i.e. the Java fork, and my custom disc/cassette hub 406 wheelset and then turn the respect into a bad weather beater bike.
Old 01-18-17, 04:41 AM

i say, go with the first option.

Well, I am debating between sitting on it for while and doing a ground up build using 451 wheels or taking all the parts from my respect cycles build i.e. the Java fork, and my custom disc/cassette hub 406 wheelset and then turn the respect into a bad weather beater bike.
Old 04-02-17, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would buy any of these bicycles in a moment. The Bianchi products are not available in North America, confound it.

Tokyobike:
https://www.tokyobikenyc.com/bicycles/mini-velo

Bianchi Japan
https://www.cycleurope.co.jp/2012/bi...inivelo-7.html
https://www.cycleurope.co.jp/2012/bi..._flat_bar.html
https://www.cycleurope.co.jp/2012/bi..._flat_bar.html
Old 04-02-17, 12:48 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea Bianchi USA is a Different Company than the Old Italian or its Japanese user of the name.

Originally Posted by sibkey
if you're taller than 6ft - forget about minivelo
Maybe not a mass produced for the asian market, but a bicycle framebuilder worth their name
can build one just for you,

now if they are booked up with orders for Race bikes for 5 + years the queue may be too long..

Rob English in or around Eugene has his own custom bike building company

and has helped design the Bike Fridays over the years.. so is familiar with 20"wheel bikes..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-02-17 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-30-17, 11:16 PM

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Not sure if the OP is still following this?

FWIW, the Swift is a great minivelo that sorta folds.
It's nor great for a cramped trunk, but fits great behind an apartment door.
The ride is surprisingly excellent stock.

I honestly think that I futzed up my bike with upgrades (fenders, adjustable stem, thud buster, custom rack, kickstand, etc). The big apples, crane bell, and retrospective tape were all worthy upgrades.

If I were inches shoes, I'd seriously look into getting one.
Old 06-21-17, 06:40 PM

Bikes: N + 1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Sillgey Piccolos still pop up for sale occasionally. Keep your eyes peeled! There was one built up and sitting in a LBS for a couple years at a "snatch it now" price. I already had a Sillgey Phantom and passed on it. The ones I've seen around town have mostly been set up as polo bikes.
Old 06-27-17, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im thinking about selling my sillgey piccolo it's been in storage since 09 I think maybe 2012 I can't remember
Old 06-27-17, 03:40 AM

Bikes: N + 1

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gilga
Im thinking about selling my sillgey piccolo it's been in storage since 09 I think maybe 2012 I can't remember
Post a picture of it?
Old 06-27-17, 06:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It won't let me because I am a new member and have to post 10 times before i can.
Old 06-27-17, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It won't let me because I am a new member and have to post 10 times before i can.
No, you can post an pic by using the attachment method. Go advance, and it will allow you to upload directly from your desktop a small jpeg or pict. It must be 150 kb or less. I use my email mode on my camera for the right size.

The 10 or plus posts requirement is for a link to an image URL.
I now, because I posted a photo on my very first post on these forums.

That Barnnard is a beautiful bike!
Old 06-28-17, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Another option: Riese & Muller Tinker E-bike. 20" wheels. A bit heavy, but that's difficult to avoid in the e-bike category.
Old 06-28-17, 06:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Java cl-16s-d

I have been following this tread because I am also looking at a mini velo.

Has anyone got any knowledge or experience of the Java cl 16? It comes in aluminium and cro molly.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-02-17, 07:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a pic of my piccolo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6513.JPG (68.7 KB, 160 views)
Old 07-03-17, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My kids and biker friends all ask me where did I steal the clown bike when I ride my folder. I don't want to hear the noise if I rode that bike----Grin----
Old 07-03-17, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The geometry of your Picolo looks like it has a long top tube and pretty steep seat angle. The cranks seem further back----all optical illusions from a picture.

I'm guessing you did not ride it much. Cool bike anyway.
Old 07-03-17, 11:14 AM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
My daughter uses a 20" bike for touring and commuting.

It is called a 6-pack from Rodriguez Cycles. It is more suited to frequent flying, which she does. But it is a good bike (really expensive, by my standards, but good).
Old 07-03-17, 11:51 AM
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 599 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
My daughter uses a 20" bike for touring and commuting.
It is called a 6-pack from Rodriguez Cycles. It is more suited to frequent flying, which she does. But it is a good bike (really expensive, by my standards, but good).
$4,999 to start??? And I thought the Dahon Clinch was expensive,...
Old 07-03-17, 11:57 AM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
$4,999 to start??? And I thought the Dahon Clinch was expensive,...
She doesn't have a car, that frees up a lot for cycling.

. . . but yes, I consider it real expensive (but then, I am considering a velomobile; it is all just a matter of perspectives and priorities).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.