Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 500/800 questions regarding tracking for extremely long rides

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Garmin Edge 500/800 questions regarding tracking for extremely long rides

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 11:01 PM

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by DaHaMac
How are you all charging the Edge 500 with the Gomadic while riding?

I bought Gomadic and it charges great at rest stops but I have yet to figure out how to get the charging cable to work with the Garmin mount. The charging cable connector sticks out so far that it hits the stem where I have the Garmin mounted.
The cable I use also wouldn't work if the Garmin was mounted on the stem, but mounted on the handlebar it's fine.

Have you considered a forward mount such as the K-Edge?

For the record, my longest recorded ride distance on my Garmin Edge 500 was 570 km, recorded over 47 hours of elapsed time, using a host mode USB cable and a generic USB battery pack (8,000 mAh). Mine is running firmware 3.20. I first considered recording the ride in multiple chunks, just in case, but then decided to go for it and it worked just fine.
Old 10-07-13, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4307 Post(s)
Liked 1,385 Times in 965 Posts
I had no problems charging a 800 while riding using a charger with a rechargeable battery. Two issues are where to put the charger (like in a handlebar bag or a bento box) and rain (when you probably can't recharge).

The 800 has a 1000mA battery.

I can use my charger (it's a modestly sized 5400mA) for my phone too.

Note that you can't get all of the mA out of the charger, which means the useful amount of capacity is less than it's listed capacity.

I believe the ability to use the 800 while charging was added in a firmware update.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-07-13 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-07-13, 07:38 PM

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
I had no problems charging a 800 while riding using a charger with a rechargeable battery. Two issues are where to put the charger (like in a handlebar bag or a bento box) and rain (when you probably can't recharge).
Correct, the inability to charge via a standard USB cable while recording is a problem specific to the Garmin Edge 500, not the 800 with recent firmware.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Note that you can't get all of the mA out of the charger, which means the useful amount of capacity is less than it's listed capacity.
The listed capacity of Li-ion batteries is always the total number of mAh that can be drawn from the cell in its operating voltage range (from typically 4.2V when full down to a cut-off point of about 3.0V under load).

A USB battery pack has a circuit that steps up the voltage from the raw battery voltage to the USB standard of 5 V. If the current is used to recharge another Li-ion battery rather than being directly consumed by the electronics of the plugged in device then that 5V needs to be stepped down again to a charging voltage of no more than 4.2V. There are losses in this two way conversion, as step-up / step-down circuits are not 100% efficient. On top of that there are losses in the battery itself, which gets warm from internal resistance while the charge/discharge current flows through it.

If you charge one cell from another you'll lose at least 20% of the power I'd guess, based on the specs of conversion chips I've looked at. So to fully recharge a flat 800 mAh battery in a Garmin 500 you would need to fully discharge at least a 1000 mAh USB battery.