Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Track Hub design

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 06:31 AM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by aerodave
Though I'm not sure how personally asking people who are somewhat likely to possess the knowledge isn't a viable way of gathering relevant information. If someone comes to me and says "What airfoil section does the C-130 use?" I'm not gonna say "Go look it up...and F- you for being lazy". I'm going to provide the answer if I have it because appealing to expertise is a great way of gathering information. It's not spoon-feeding, and there's nothing inherently honorable about arriving by an answer in a harder way than necessary.
First off, I did not tell the OP to F-whatever nor was I in any way rude. Was I curt and to the point, yes. My objection was that the OP appeared to make no preliminary attempt to seek out as much information as possible before posting on this forum. No doubt the forum member who replied with the link to the drawing found it by "googling", so why couldn't the OP do the same? Also, most of the information the OP is seeking is common knowledge, and not in the same realm as "What airfoil section does the C-130 use?", which may be proprietary or even classified. As a practicing engineer, I often sought the advice of my colleages in areas where I lacked expertise, but I did the basic leg work myself rather rely on them to do all my work for me. Had the OP posted that he or she had already done the basic research, and was now seeking specific detailed information to complete the task, then I would have been more receptive to providing assistance. Finally, the OP is an engineering student in the learning phase, rather than an engineering professional in the practicing phase. As a practicing engineer, I was under tight schedule constraints to obtain results in the most expeditious manner and did not have the liberty to spend time engaged in research or "reinventing the wheel." OTOH, the OP is a student who needs to spend the time to learn design, and perhaps waste some time in order to learn the design process and how to evaluate the issues that are relevant. Simply copying a design drawing into a CNC machine is not engineering design.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 09-01-10, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dinaars
I think this will do. Thanks!

The thing is that it's easy and possible to find thread sizes, but try to find the information about how many turns it has to have. What is the needed distance from sprocket to flange so the spokes don't touch. How thick the flanges need to be, what is the needed wall thicknes in the middle of the hub? There are lot of questions and a googles link to wikipedias flip/flop hub just doesn't do good enough..

I'm going to jump in and add the opinion of another engineer. Some of your questions your questions relate to specifications and some are design questions.

My advice is to first buy the off-the-shelf parts you plan to use such as the axle, cartridge bearings, spacers/locknuts, cog and lock ring. Take your calipers and get the measurements you need. Once you have the dimensions laid out, it's pretty trivial to design a hub shell around the parts.

If you want a hub that is going to be as light as possible instead of just looking cool, you task will be a bit more involved.

As for flange thickness, wall thickness, and chain clearance, these are just part of the design exercise. Take a look at some of the hubs on the bikes you've built and work out the flange thickness from there. Wall thickness of the hub shell will depend on material and geometry and you should work that out on your own as you sketch out your design.

Have fun, make a few so you can keep a set for a memento and ride the heck out of the rest.