Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What happens if I don't change the oil in my IGH?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What happens if I don't change the oil in my IGH?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 08:54 AM

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’m not going to say much about changing oil in an IGH other than to say that lubricants in a bicycle application will probably last until the sun goes cold because the stresses put on them are so small. You need to change oil in internal combustion engines because the lubricant is subjected to extreme conditions. Bicycles don’t experience that.

This, however, chaps my hide. It’s just straight up wrong. If you want to test it, put a cup of hot tea next to a glass of iced tea and see which one causes condensation. You might have some condensation if you are taking a warm bike into the cold but even that is a stretch. Warm air from a heated house doesn’t have much water in it during the winter...cold air can’t carry much water and heating it doesn’t add water to it. Taking a warm bike out into the cold does lower the amount of water that the air can carry but that just brings it back down to the level of the water in the cold air. No condensation should occur.

Even if it could possibly happen, the amount of moisture is tiny and the volume of air it could condense from is also tiny. At 20°C (78°F), fully saturated air has 0.0017g of water in every cubic meter. That almost 2 milligrams of water in a 1 m cube. There are a million mL in a cubic meter. There are about 100 mL in a IGH hub. If the hub shell were completely empty, that a grand total of 2 one millionth of a gram. It’s not even a “drop” of water. It’s barely a “hint” of water.*

To put it another way, to get to a gram of water, you’d have to take the bike in and out of the house 500,000 times.

*I usually give the US equivalents for this kind of discussion but we have no easily used way of measuring that small a volume. A US teaspoon has almost 5 mL in it or 2.5 million times the volume.
I like the “ till the sun gets cold” comment. That’s my lube schedule on my SA kickback IGH, petty much the same as the Schwinn I grew up with, never gave it a second thought, not too worried about hot or cold either.
Tim
Old 05-27-21, 07:41 PM

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The question would be whether titanium is actually a good material for the use.
I was just daydreaming about where non-magnetic bits could come from.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 05-27-21, 09:38 PM
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
After five decades of trying every chain concoction known to mankind, Mobil 1 ATF is now my #1 preferred chainlube.
It’s really good and really cheap.

I just use the DW1 left over from the car.