Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's up with Castelli sizing?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's up with Castelli sizing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-14, 04:53 PM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've found that for me, I can almost always get the right size on line by looking at the sizing chart and then reading reviews. If the reviews have lots of Americans complaining about the fit or having to size up, I know the sizing chart will work perfectly for me.
Old 08-01-14, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by THSdrummer
I have heard to size up twice for Castelli's aero jerseys and since I have never had to size up on a jersey before it just makes me wonder if I should follow this advice or just go up one. The Climber's jersey is supposed to be an aero fit, but Castelli gave the American version a bit of extra stomach room, which is great when you look at the average size of Americans, but not so great when it alienates the very people who wear their clothing. It's unfortunate. I really wanted to pick one up for the lightweight option in the summer, but not at the expense of a good fit.

Like I said, all my jerseys are Castelli. I wear a medium. I wear a medium in t-shirts, jackets, hoodies, and all other every day clothing. I did recently pick up an Assos base layer size small because their size chart suggests I go with that size. It is a TIGHT fit. Way tighter than my Castelli base layer. I like it, but it definitely wouldn't fit if I put on a few pounds. I can't help but feel curious as to how Assos jerseys fit after having this base layer. I wear a medium in Assos bib shorts (Uno S5).
There is no way I would go up two sizes. If I went up two sizes...it would be looser than my MTB jerseys.

I was bummed when I tired on the jersey for the first time. Besides the fit...it is nice and light...and real thin. I also wear a base layer. That is the other reason I "sized up" with the Castelli.

I recently ordered a De Marchi bib. Their size chart says I should wear a medium...and so I did order one...in medium They say 5'5"-5'8"...and I'm 5'8". I'll see how that goes.

Last edited by I <3 Robots; 08-01-14 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-01-14, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by halfspeed
I have one of their jerseys. I hate it because it's too stretchy. It fits fine when the pockets are empty but sags way too low when filled.
The saggy tail jerseys are the worst. I see so many people with the back of the jersey hanging down to their buttocks. The stuff in the pockets move and bounce around when you're riding.
Old 08-01-14, 07:58 PM
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I'm 5' 7", 165 lbs, 41" chest -- which is to say too fat for this sport.

In jerseys, I'm almost always an L, but in the two Castelli I own, I am an XL.
Old 08-01-14, 10:31 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Thing is, I have lots of jerseys that fit as they should, mediums are a bit snug and larges are a bit loose. can take my pick and I think that is pretty true to size for me. Even the tight ones though, are comfortable BOTH off and on the bike. And that is how it should be: the whole idea of lycra is stretch. A form fitting lycra jersey should hug the skin yet still have enough stretch in it to accommodate any arm, shoulder, and back positions you wish to adopt. The idea that a an elastic jersey needs to be cut into a bizarre shape to accommodate the riding position is ridiculous. Apparently lot of other makers agree, because I have never seen this anywhere but in the Castelli line. Sure I don't wear much pro level stuff so my experience is limited. Most of my jerseys are club/team handouts from charity rides, TdF team knock offs I get from Nashbar, and the usual goods available at the USA LBSs. But if normal cut works in those jerseys, why would a "pro" cut ever be needed?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-01-14, 10:48 PM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Thing is, I have lots of jerseys that fit as they should, mediums are a bit snug and larges are a bit loose. can take my pick and I think that is pretty true to size for me. Even the tight ones though, are comfortable BOTH off and on the bike. And that is how it should be: the whole idea of lycra is stretch. A form fitting lycra jersey should hug the skin yet still have enough stretch in it to accommodate any arm, shoulder, and back positions you wish to adopt. The idea that a an elastic jersey needs to be cut into a bizarre shape to accommodate the riding position is ridiculous. Apparently lot of other makers agree, because I have never seen this anywhere but in the Castelli line. Sure I don't wear much pro level stuff so my experience is limited. Most of my jerseys are club/team handouts from charity rides, TdF team knock offs I get from Nashbar, and the usual goods available at the USA LBSs. But if normal cut works in those jerseys, why would a "pro" cut ever be needed?
Castelli works quite well for many riders, including me. I explained the problem with stretchy jerseys here: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post16997119
Old 08-01-14, 10:55 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Castelli works quite well for many riders, including me. I explained the problem with stretchy jerseys here: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post16997119
I would expect that many people wear Castelli successfully, else they wouldn't stay in business. But stretchy in a way that gives with your motion isn't quite the same thing as being unable to support pocket contents. I have plenty of jerseys that are tight, comfortable in various positions, and also well able to support my wallet, tool bag, and iphone that I carry in my three back pockets.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...