Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Wincing every time a car passes...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Wincing every time a car passes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
I think you're overestimating what two feet is. Two feet out from the curb would put me just outside the shoulder on most roads in my area. If I want to discourage drivers from squeezing me out, I move over another foot into the right tire track. This is not hogging the lane, and actually gets fewer close passes from motorists. Hogging the lane would be riding in the center, or in the left tire track.

Most lanes these days are at least 12 feet wide. Add a two foot shoulder to that and you still have 10 feet. The average width of a car is about six feet. So that means I can ride on the shoulder line and the average car would be able to pass me safely and not have to cross the center line.

To the OP: don't listen to Leisesturm. He/she comes across as someone who doesn't ride on the roads much.
I actually told the o.p. not to listen to me... or you... what I bolded is EXACTLY how I ride on the two lane blacktop between the two cities I commute to. In town I ride in the door zone. Its how we all ride but then you all come online and talk about "taking the lane". How can you not take the lane? Well... yeah I suppose you can, I've seen it but... really, the willow sticks and the bright lights and all that... even you have to admit its over the top. The entire overall climate of FEAR in this thread is over the top and unwarranted.

H
Old 10-24-12, 01:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Originally Posted by squegeeboo
So you dodge in an out of traffic, while riding in the door zone? That's just crazy. NY state law explicitly calls out as far right as practical. If you're constantly jumping 2-3 feet to your left every time a door opens, that's not practical, and it's def. not safe. One door you miss, or one car that misses your swerve, or is passing you right when the door is opening, giving you no option but to panic break, and you are in an accident.
No, I do NOT dodge in and out of traffic while riding in the door zone. In fact I can remember very few times when I have had to dodge a door. Other things, yes, but dooring as a high priority issue, even in NYC... ... nope. I lived there. I really did. Rode a gazillion miles in every borough. In the door zone. Know what, saw a ***load of other cyclists doing it too. That's where and how I learned. I simply did not ever see hordes of cyclists cruising down the lane center holding all of Manhattan to a sedate 12 miles per hour. I really don't know what's going on but a major perceptural shift takes place when a lot of you get off your bikes and fire up the web browers to post here. The kind of vehicular cycling that is described here is not the kind of vehicular cycling that I see when I'm on the bike.

H
I'm sorry, but is how it sounds like you ride. I'm also sorry but I personally witnessed a good friend of mine having to take quick defensive action to avoid being doored. And no, the car in question hadn't just pulled over and parked. It had been parked for a while as it's possible that the driver was on her phone before opening her door, pure speculation on my part, but logical speculation.

There used to be a time in American history when ALL traffic traveled at a "sedate" pace. Sadly, that changed with the introduction of the automobile.

Did you know that the automobile industry engaged in a publicity campaign likening people who wanted to walk or play in the road as being "stuck" in the past as well as out of touch with reality.

The same shift takes place when too many people get behind the wheel of their car(s). As for some reason too many of them think that they think that they "own" the road.
Old 10-24-12, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
I think that you would be surprised at the speeds that some cyclists are able to maintain. For example, I ride a bike that weighs about 35 , 40lbs, I carry another 35 or so pounds of cargo. On top of that I weigh about 180lbs. So bike, cargo, myself I'm "carrying" about 250lbs. And I am able to maintain a speed in the high teens to low twentys.

That "cyclist" is clearly wrong, although, if I am not mistaken. Most states require slower vehicles to yield to "faster" traffic when there are five or more vehicles behind the, PROVIDED that it is safe to do so.

If I'm reading you correctly, it sounds as if you are riding erratically and not predictably, a lose/lose situation. Which by taking the lane we ARE in fact riding predictably, and therefore we are riding safely, a win/win situation.

Cars only "lose" time in the sense that sadly most people these days do not leave enough time when going somewhere. Plus the automobile industry has "brainwashed" people into thinking that "faster is better." It is not, if it were then there wouldn't be so many crashes, or lived lost on the roads.

Again, as had been said, when we ride confidently and predictably, we are riding safely, and are treated with respect and as equals, and like we belong on the road.

On the other hand, when we do not ride with confidence, or predictably then we endanger EVERYONE on the road.

And yes, as you said OMMV, but in not only my experience, but that of others here, and people that I personally know, taking the lane is the safest, most predictable to ride.
My last post in this thread. Promise. The speed figures I have posted are not for ME. They are typical average speeds for a majority of cyclists in my area who are not fit, not regular cyclists but are out there nonetheless. I am 53 years old and the only time I am passed on my commute is when I am on my folding bike. On my commuter nothing touches me. I would estimate 15 to 17 average speed on my 10 mile commute. That one has a few hills but no traffic lights. My 7 mile commute has several lights that I must stop for. I ride VERY predictably. Remember I am riding in a bike lane for much of the time. If the cities of Hillsboro, Cornelius and Forest Grove, in their wisdom put the bike lane of the one main road exactly in the door zone... ... but, as I said, it has not been a problem. I do, as I said, also ride rural two lane, A LOT. The width of the shoulder varies. When its gets impractical I am in the lane. Most traffic goes over the center line as they pass, if they can, if they can't most hang back until they can. Most. If someone forces a pass, even when there is oncoming traffic then he is going to be close enough to make me wince. No he couldn't have passed if I was further into the lane but I don't want him back there fuming in his pickup because he can't get past. I think the proof is in the pudding. I haven't been hurt but plenty of other cyclists do get hurt. How, why, I don't know, but I know that I have to use these roads everyday, twice a day and I attribute a lot of the regard I get from the fact that I share the road. I don't consider being ON the fog stripe unsafe. I wouldn't want to ride the entire 10 miles that way, but I don't have to. No one does. I think we are all saying the same thing but I just disagree with the whole us against them we need to light up, use flags, ride aggressively... ... gone now..

H
Old 10-24-12, 02:03 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
I think you're overestimating what two feet is. Two feet out from the curb would put me just outside the shoulder on most roads in my area. If I want to discourage drivers from squeezing me out, I move over another foot into the right tire track. This is not hogging the lane, and actually gets fewer close passes from motorists. Hogging the lane would be riding in the center, or in the left tire track.

Most lanes these days are at least 12 feet wide. Add a two foot shoulder to that and you still have 10 feet. The average width of a car is about six feet. So that means I can ride on the shoulder line and the average car would be able to pass me safely and not have to cross the center line.

To the OP: don't listen to Leisesturm. He/she comes across as someone who doesn't ride on the roads much.
I actually told the o.p. not to listen to me... or you... what I bolded is EXACTLY how I ride on the two lane blacktop between the two cities I commute to. In town I ride in the door zone. Its how we all ride but then you all come online and talk about "taking the lane". How can you not take the lane? Well... yeah I suppose you can, I've seen it but... really, the willow sticks and the bright lights and all that... even you have to admit its over the top. The entire overall climate of FEAR in this thread is over the top and unwarranted.

H
How are bright lights "over the top?" On my bike I have five headlights. Four mounted to the bike, and one on my helmet. The ones on my bike are set to blink.

I also have four taillights three that are mounted on my bike and the fourth is mounted on my helmet.

Six out of the seven are on whenever I'm out riding. The one on my helmet is used at night.

I also wear an orange, and reflective safety vest when I ride.
Old 10-24-12, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
...In town I ride in the door zone. Its how we all ride...
This is dangerous 'advice'. I would advise all readers to ignore Leisesturm's posts.
Old 10-24-12, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Commodus
This is dangerous 'advice'. I would advise all readers to ignore Leisesturm's posts.
It may be dangerous advice [Edit: its not advice], but, in general when there is a bike lane, drivers expect you to use it. So.... if the bike lanes in your town run to the left of the parked cars what do YOU do? I'll hang around for the answer.
Old 10-24-12, 02:29 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
...In town I ride in the door zone. Its how we all ride...
Agreed, 100%, yes sadly too many cyclists ride in the door zone. Many get away with but that doesn't make it safe.
Old 10-24-12, 02:31 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Not knowing how experienced you are I would recommend working on increasing your comfort level. Most riders have a comfort level for traffic and don't like going beyond that traffic volume/speed. Start with roads where you are comfortable and keep looking for roads that are a little faster or have more traffic until you get to where you start feeling uncomfortable about the traffic. Stay at that level for a couple of weeks and you should start getting comfortable with it and then move to a busier/faster road and repeat.
Old 10-24-12, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It may be dangerous advice [Edit: its not advice], but, in general when there is a bike lane, drivers expect you to use it. So.... if the bike lanes in your town run to the left of the parked cars what do YOU do? I'll hang around for the answer.
Drivers expect many things, because drivers are individuals. Reasonable individuals expect others to operate their vehicles in a safe, legal, respectful fashion, and that's what I do. Riding in the door zone is not safe.
Old 10-24-12, 02:37 PM

How are bright lights "over the top?" On my bike I have five headlights. Four mounted to the bike, and one on my helmet. The ones on my bike are set to blink.

I also have four taillights three that are mounted on my bike and the fourth is mounted on my helmet.

Six out of the seven are on whenever I'm out riding. The one on my helmet is used at night.

I'll be kind because your sig is way cool... your lights... over the top, my friend. Over the top. You asked. Whatever works for you though, just so you don't think four headlights are necessary. One is plenty enough and two are better, under some circumstances (rain) but for being seen?... safety?... one of each. Just saying.

H
Old 10-24-12, 02:44 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Can I agree with everyone? Sometimes I think everyone is saying the same thing different ways, with nuances blown out of proportion.
Old 10-24-12, 02:46 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When I'm out riding, and there is a bike lane that is routed within the door zone and there are cars parked, I do not ride in it. If I have to, because I had been riding in it, I signal and stop and wait for an opening and leave the bike lane.

And as had been said you are in fact giving out dangerous advice.

If how a great many of us ride is so "dangerous" as well as being "rude, and inconsiderate" then how do you explain all of the posts that contradict you?
Old 10-24-12, 02:48 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Drivers expect many things, because drivers are individuals. Reasonable individuals expect others to operate their vehicles in a safe, legal, respectful fashion, and that's what I do. Riding in the door zone is not safe.
Again, agreed 100%.
Old 10-24-12, 02:52 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'll be kind because your sig is way cool... your lights... over the top, my friend. Over the top. You asked. Whatever works for you though, just so you don't think four headlights are necessary. One is plenty enough and two are better, under some circumstances (rain) but for being seen?... safety?... one of each. Just saying.

H
I've received compliments from both motorists and pedestrians on my setup.
Old 10-24-12, 03:06 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There used to be a time in American history when ALL traffic traveled at a "sedate" pace. Sadly, that changed with the introduction of the automobile.
What utter tripe. You lack a firm grasp of history. People were getting run over and killed by carriages and horses long before the invention of the automobile. Before spouting, you might want to actually read some of the 18th or 19th century primary documents (newspapers, letters, etc...)
Old 10-24-12, 03:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve0257
Not knowing how experienced you are I would recommend working on increasing your comfort level. Most riders have a comfort level for traffic and don't like going beyond that traffic volume/speed. Start with roads where you are comfortable and keep looking for roads that are a little faster or have more traffic until you get to where you start feeling uncomfortable about the traffic. Stay at that level for a couple of weeks and you should start getting comfortable with it and then move to a busier/faster road and repeat.
I think this is the best advice! Thank you.

There is another girl that takes this same route around the same time that I'd have to leave to get to my MWF class. She uses the sidewalk.

I commuted via this route for two weeks and this week I've been driving. The road is very busy so taking the lane as far as some have suggested would be quite rude. When I'm driving on it, I can see just how hard it is to pass a bike. There's almost always another car coming in the opposite direction. It's a very busy street. I think I will drive the other route tomorrow and see how it looks as far as the crime. I might just end up riding it although it will add an extra mile.

Oh and for clarification, the two-lane road in the OP doesn't have a curb or even a line on the right, and no one parks on this road (they would be in the grass if they even tried).
Old 10-24-12, 03:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by chgurlsng

There is another girl that takes this same route around the same time that I'd have to leave to get to my MWF class. She uses the sidewalk.

I commuted via this route for two weeks and this week I've been driving. The road is very busy so taking the lane as far as some have suggested would be quite rude. When I'm driving on it, I can see just how hard it is to pass a bike. There's almost always another car coming in the opposite direction. It's a very busy street. I think I will drive the other route tomorrow and see how it looks as far as the crime. I might just end up riding it although it will add an extra mile.

Oh and for clarification, the two-lane road in the OP doesn't have a curb or even a line on the right, and no one parks on this road (they would be in the grass if they even tried).
This isn't a matter of etiquette.
Old 10-24-12, 03:19 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'M GLAD THATS OVER!
Old 10-24-12, 03:34 PM

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When using the public roadway, you should only consider yourself "rude" if you are breaking a law. You have a right to travel (your destination is no less important than anyone else), and if you began to obstruct "X" number of vehicles behind you, then you would follow rules for slow-moving-vehicles in your state, and pull over at the first safe turn-out. This is being courteous and responsible... not rude. Try it sometime; it works!
Old 10-24-12, 03:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief
When using the public roadway, you should only consider yourself "rude" if you are breaking a law. You have a right to travel (your destination is no less important than anyone else), and if you began to obstruct "X" number of vehicles behind you, then you would follow rules for slow-moving-vehicles in your state, and pull over at the first safe turn-out. This is being courteous and responsible... not rude. Try it sometime; it works!
I would definitely be holding up traffic. This road is in an older part of town and I have a feeling it's not 12' wide just comparing it to another road that just got updated and is a few feet wider. There are plenty of cross streets that I can stop at once in a while (or driveways that I can slow down and pull over onto). I'll have to check the bike laws. Thanks!

Didn't realize the can of worms I was opening with this thread... Now I'll have to post in Advocacy and Safety if I have any similar questions.
Old 10-24-12, 03:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I would definitely be holding up traffic. This road is in an older part of town and I have a feeling it's not 12' wide just comparing it to another road that just got updated and is a few feet wider. There are plenty of cross streets that I can stop at once in a while (or driveways that I can slow down and pull over onto). I'll have to check the bike laws. Thanks!

Didn't realize the can of worms I was opening with this thread... Now I'll have to post in Advocacy and Safety if I have any similar questions.
You aren't holding up traffic, you are traffic.
Old 10-24-12, 04:07 PM
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Well said. I know not all cities are setup the same, but Lancaster has no bike lanes to speak of so that is a non factor. The speed limit other than highways(which are labelled motor-only) are 25mph within city limits. for a mostly flat city with one-way roads 25mph is actually very doable. What is funny is that the time driven traffic lights are actually set for 19-21mph to hit greens. When I figured that out it really levelled out how I drive both car and bike.

Since I maintain traffic pace and often excede it, city limits are the fun part of my 10 mi commute. Sometimes people get arrogant about it, but ultimately they are the same if I am driving my SUV or the bike, but the bike allows me to get around better when people grid-lock

On the mirror/no mirror topic:
I have a mirror on one bike and not the other(just because I only have one right now) and the mindset is a little different than mentioned. It is not to know to "Dodge" away, in my view. For me it is more of just avoiding a surprise or knowing when I can make a turn more conveniently. It reduces the flinch factor a little bit, but nerve comes with conviction and practice. Know your areas regs, systems and stand by them. A confident road user gains more respect than a feeble edge rider. If you ride like you are a child people will view with condescension and apprehension instead of respect because they will wonder if you will be random.
Old 10-24-12, 04:49 PM
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Now I'll have to post in Advocacy and Safety if I have any similar questions.
Oh my no . . . A&S is a vicious group of people lol and what you just experienced with this thread ain't nuthin' compared to the flame wars that are over there. The friendliest places on BF are here (Commuting), the Clydesdale/Athena forum, and 50+ - - If you say "Hi" in the Advocacy forum you will start a hundred page three year flame war hahahahaha
Old 10-24-12, 06:15 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
Oh my no . . . A&S is a vicious group of people lol and what you just experienced with this thread ain't nuthin' compared to the flame wars that are over there. The friendliest places on BF are here (Commuting), the Clydesdale/Athena forum, and 50+ - - If you say "Hi" in the Advocacy forum you will start a hundred page three year flame war hahahahaha
yep ,

even if you don't qualify for the Clyd/athena section i would ask questions there anyway... just shove a pillow under you shirt for any photos .

way more friendly in there
Old 10-24-12, 07:01 PM

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute to school is only 3 miles.
Would you care to share the location of the street and the school? I like to take an ariel look at things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.