Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Northeast Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-16, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
White Plains Sunday .. NY crit championships .. 90% chance of thunderstorms on a fast, manholey, road painty downtown course.

Only 15 registered in the 45+ so far.

On one hand, the last race I won was a rainy downtown crit. On the other hand, the last race I did in the rain with a small field, I couldn't make it onto the winning move on the second lap, and quit.
I'm in the midst of a debate on this one. 35-44 has 9 entries. Cat 4 has 15 entries. If the numbers stay small I have less concern about the NYS Championship leading to increased risk, but a big part of me just thinks turning myself inside out on Saturday would be a better use of time. That said, I really need more race experience.
Old 06-02-16, 03:23 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FFJ
What is the general consensus on how safe WP is for a crit? I have not heard any horror stories re: crashes in recent years, but I don't really travel in the crit circles much.
The stretch between turns one and two really only has one good line at speed. There's a cheese grater in turn two at the base of the rise that could give you trouble in the rain. Turn three is riddled with manholes, but there are two or three decent lines. The best sprint position is to set up left and late apex turn four to carry as much speed as possible into the hill. You have to be up front to win. The prevailing wind is in your face between three and four. I loved the course and always did well there.
Old 06-02-16, 05:12 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
im surprised at the low attendance for Watermelon crit. that said, $35 is quite hefty for a non-descript course...
Old 06-03-16, 04:39 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Watermelon crit: In past years they have given out baked goods for prizes for most categories. I won the cat 3 race there one year and got a banana bread. While that holds some charm for some folks, as evidenced by the numbers, most folks chose to do other things.

Last edited by gsteinb; 06-03-16 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 04:46 AM
out walking the earth

On white plains:

There is a lot of metal, and a lot of paint.

I have a first, third and a fifth there over the past few years. I wouldn't do that race in the rain (I've won two rain races this year, one a very technical crit so I'm not rain adverse). If you watch a youtube video, on the S/F straight there's a repaired utility groove. At some point that thing has a weird lip. I caught it once it twice, without incident, but on a wet road it could be different. There's a large metal grate on the second straight that the race goes over more often than not. There's also metal in, or just before, turn 1. Turn 3 is wicked fast and downhill. The race can and has been won from there. Two years ago the masters winner was the one who hit turn 3 first. But there are manholes. It is definitively the kind of turn guys will be laying the bike down in. There are also two manholes in turn 4, which given the speed out of turn three is very fast. If you go, attack early. Lap 1. Get out. Get the gap. Keep it. I'd be pretty heavily marked, and don't like my chances at that strategy there, and don't really want to deal with being around too many guys vying for a jersey that has no meaning to me.

Incidentally there's a huge money central park race on saturday, and that's going to crush wet weather numbers at white plains.

Last edited by gsteinb; 06-03-16 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 06:01 AM
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turn 3 is the only real issue I see with a rainy White Plains. The tire bounces everywhere with lots of speed. Gary is correct, if it's wet, a winner may be able to shoot that corner quickly and hold it all the way thru 4 to the line. The rest of the course is about learning the best line and staying relaxed. The kind of course that can easily be a bunch kick dependent on team tactics. Very wide avenues and corners.
Old 06-04-16, 07:52 AM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like the masters race might be in a little window of not actively thunderstorming (though almost certainly wet).

35 signed up now for the combined 35+/45+. I have an expectation for how the race will play out. Excited to race!
Old 06-04-16, 01:24 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Watch Enaeus ride away?
Old 06-04-16, 01:48 PM
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He's not registered, and not in my age bracket. Plus I think he lives in CT so if he does show up and wants to solo it, more power to him.

I think certain breakaway artists will go very early, and certain sprinters will try to keep them in check. My money is on the break, but it might take a few tries. I just hope my legs are in the break too.
Old 06-04-16, 03:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think certain breakaway artists will go very early, and certain sprinters will try to keep them in check. My money is on the break, but it might take a few tries. I just hope my legs are in the break too.
I was just planning on latching onto your wheel.
Old 06-04-16, 04:02 PM
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In previous state crit championships that strategy has ended in the ER.
Old 06-04-16, 06:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In previous state crit championships that strategy has ended in the ER.
See, this is why I am actually nervous about doing this. Between the course, the rain, the championship and the risk tolerance of racers in proximity of NYC, I'm actually afraid I will be too timid because I'm concerned about crashes and end up being stupid myself.
Old 06-04-16, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's not registered, and not in my age bracket. Plus I think he lives in CT so if he does show up and wants to solo it, more power to him.

wait...didn't you just get poison ivy? and you're racing? props to you.

good luck & have fun. if it's a tight course, maybe announce that you have poison ivy & you'll get more space.
Old 06-11-16, 10:26 AM
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At nutmeg now. Raining like hell. Afternoon races should get interesting. There was a bad crash in the 4s and it was dry. Guy busted his bike, and body.
Old 06-11-16, 10:39 AM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Yikes. Stay safe! The t-storms came through here half an hour ago.
Old 06-11-16, 11:32 AM
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think FF Is going to NB for the 45+, and he is in great form right now. I'd bet on him to win solo or in a small break
Called it!
Old 06-11-16, 12:54 PM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
And then took 2nd in the 40+. Underachiever!
Old 06-11-16, 01:21 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Watched FF win the 45+. He sat up in the 40+ from what I could see, like "I don't want to solo the whole race".

Saw Mikey there. Bailed out, it was pouring, cold, the late races meant we were really pushing my Pop's time frame, and to top it off I was hungry. When I got home I realized I forgot to eat lunch.

I guess today is trainer day.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-11-16, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Harlan
At nutmeg now. Raining like hell. Afternoon races should get interesting. There was a bad crash in the 4s and it was dry. Guy busted his bike, and body.
A guy from that race with a broken bike (both seat stays sheared) walked by me while I was warming up. A lot of road rash. Said the guy in front didn't hold his line, he wasn't angry, just resigned. But then an ambulance showed up at the point of the crash, far side of course coming out of the first turn, so someone got it worse than him.

In the 50+ going up the little hill a rider on the inside goes down, forces the rider just outside to cut hard right into my path and I end up grass surfing. It had been showering for about 30 or 40 minutes at that point and was just turning heavier. Risk/reward balance didn't seem worth it so I soft peddled in to dnf, though watching the rest of the race from the sidelines it seemed OK, maybe I overreacted. Caution increases with age. I had won a prime in the 60+ and got a small piece of the purse so had declared victory for the day before the 50+ started.
Old 06-12-16, 09:04 AM
out walking the earth

I'm hearing the former big bumble bee gone Incredible Hulk dude was tested last weekend.
Old 06-12-16, 11:04 AM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I'm hearing the former big bumble bee gone Incredible Hulk dude was tested last weekend.
Huh. I didn't hear that.

I know Hunter posted that he had to pee.

I wonder if FF did? I think the testing was after P123 since no one was saying anything about Masters stuff.

I always thought of the P123 race for Nutmeg specifically as being sort of a Wild West kind of thing with the big prime hunting stuff going on, guys that come out of the woodwork to grab the $100 primes. In the past I always thought it would be interesting to see what would happen if some of those guys had to pee in a cup. I have no idea how the race turned out as I left shortly after I got there.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-12-16, 12:54 PM
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe they tested the masters podium at White Plains last week.
Old 06-13-16, 06:36 AM
out walking the earth

actually, what I heard was he was tested in Connecticut two weeks ago. Targeted. D9n't know the validity of that.
Old 06-13-16, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Amos is promoting another road race later this year! Looks like it's going to be brutal. Perfect Tokeneke prep.

https://www.bikereg.com/the-cream-wi...e-circuit-race
Old 06-13-16, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Hmmm. No women's races, not even an open race. That's a shame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.