Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recovery drink is BS

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Recovery drink is BS

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-15, 08:46 AM
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Most of the commonly accepted ideas and mantras about cycling are BS! If people would stop reading cycling magazines and listening to salesmen, the cycling world would be much better-off.

I'm beginning to think that a 10 year-old on a banana seat bike has more common sense about riding than many grown men!

Instead of "the information age", I often think we are living in "the BS age".

We should start a separate thread on The Common Myths Of Cycling- if no one else does, i will, later!
Old 06-21-15, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Just because something does not apply to/benefit you does not make is BS.
Old 06-21-15, 09:25 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3914 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 1,402 Posts
As one can assume from the above comments, it's complicated. If you intend to lose weight by riding, what you do for food depends on how long you're out and how intensely you ride. There's not one answer, like recovery drinks are BS.

It's pretty easy to know if you need to eat on the bike. For one thing, you'll get hungry. For another, if you use a HRM, you'll notice that your HR is falling off when you try to push a little. If either of these things happens, you're not helping your weight loss program because you'll just eat more after you get back. Better to keep the calorie burn higher and stay strong by eating on the bike as necessary. If you're using these guidelines, you won't eat more than half your on-bike calorie burn. If you are trying not to eat on a moderate ride, you may notice that you feel all weak and hungry after ~45 minutes. Try to ignore that and ride through it. It'll usually go away. That's not real hunger, just a temporary blood sugar drop. If it doesn't go away, well that's why you brought the sports drink or other calories.

Weight loss scenarios:
Moderate means staying mostly at or below VT1. Hard means including a good bit of work near LT.
Short moderate ride, like 2 hours, go out with black coffee before, don't eat, but take a bottle of sports drink or other carbs along just in case. After the ride, have 15g whey protein in water. Done.
Longer moderate ride, like 4 hours, go out with black coffee, eat to hunger.
Hard or long rides, eat ~400 calories 2-3 hours before. Eat to hunger during the ride.

Recovery drinks:
If you don't eat during a ride, you'll burn fat. When you finish the ride, you'll continue to burn fat for a while. You'll also burn protein, which you cannot afford to lose, unlike fat. So always have protein after a ride. I prefer flavored whey in water, 15g-25g.
If you eat a good bit of carbs during a hard ride, you'll shut down your fat burning to some extent, which is fine as long as you hold the calories in to ~1/2 calories out. But when you finish, even though your fat burning has been shut down during the ride, it will come back with a vengeance after the ride. So if you don't plan on riding hard the next day, don't eat carbs, only protein and a little fat if you want. That'll allow the fat burning to continue while keeping hunger at bay. But if you will ride or workout the next day, for sure have carbs after a hard ride to restore glycogen or you'll have a crummy workout.
Old 06-21-15, 09:44 AM
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
OP conflates two issues: caloric intake and timing/composition of said calories.

As others have said, if you want to lose weight, lower your caloric intake. And there is good evidence that a balanced shot of protein/carbohydrates shortly after intense exercise aids muscle recovery. If your workout isn't intense, then it's pretty much just calories.
Old 06-21-15, 09:46 AM
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Just because something does not apply to/benefit you does not make is BS.
Trouble is, most of the cycling axioms only benefit/are intended for a small percentage of people- like elite athletes and racers. Many of the ideas might benefit them, but are irrelevant to, or offer no real benefit to the average recreational rider. So while some of the mantras may technically be true, they may not be true for most people.
Old 06-21-15, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Bigshot, Airbourne,2006 QR Caliente, bianchi, Gt grade.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
I was in the team bus at the TdF and the PhD nutritionist was preparing the recovery drinks for all the team members. Now, that's serious riding that requires more than just a recovery drink. The rest of us, not so much.
If there are triathletes here it matters for 2 a day training sessions. It matters what you take in before and during the ride if you are trying to keep muscle.
Old 06-21-15, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
As one can assume from the above comments, it's complicated. If you intend to lose weight by riding, what you do for food depends on how long you're out and how intensely you ride. There's not one answer, like recovery drinks are BS.

It's pretty easy to know if you need to eat on the bike. For one thing, you'll get hungry. For another, if you use a HRM, you'll notice that your HR is falling off when you try to push a little. If either of these things happens, you're not helping your weight loss program because you'll just eat more after you get back. Better to keep the calorie burn higher and stay strong by eating on the bike as necessary. If you're using these guidelines, you won't eat more than half your on-bike calorie burn. If you are trying not to eat on a moderate ride, you may notice that you feel all weak and hungry after ~45 minutes. Try to ignore that and ride through it. It'll usually go away. That's not real hunger, just a temporary blood sugar drop. If it doesn't go away, well that's why you brought the sports drink or other calories.

Weight loss scenarios:
Moderate means staying mostly at or below VT1. Hard means including a good bit of work near LT.
Short moderate ride, like 2 hours, go out with black coffee before, don't eat, but take a bottle of sports drink or other carbs along just in case. After the ride, have 15g whey protein in water. Done.
Longer moderate ride, like 4 hours, go out with black coffee, eat to hunger.
Hard or long rides, eat ~400 calories 2-3 hours before. Eat to hunger during the ride.

Recovery drinks:
If you don't eat during a ride, you'll burn fat. When you finish the ride, you'll continue to burn fat for a while. You'll also burn protein, which you cannot afford to lose, unlike fat. So always have protein after a ride. I prefer flavored whey in water, 15g-25g.
If you eat a good bit of carbs during a hard ride, you'll shut down your fat burning to some extent, which is fine as long as you hold the calories in to ~1/2 calories out. But when you finish, even though your fat burning has been shut down during the ride, it will come back with a vengeance after the ride. So if you don't plan on riding hard the next day, don't eat carbs, only protein and a little fat if you want. That'll allow the fat burning to continue while keeping hunger at bay. But if you will ride or workout the next day, for sure have carbs after a hard ride to restore glycogen or you'll have a crummy workout.
I really appreciate this handy synopsis, thanks. One thing about having just protein after a moderate ride to prevent muscle burn while letting the fat burn continue, though: I get gout if I eat too much protein (or red meat). Is your 15 to 25 g of protein a moderate amount that might not be gout-inducing? Does anybody know?
Old 06-21-15, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Trouble is, most of the cycling axioms only benefit/are intended for a small percentage of people- like elite athletes and racers. Many of the ideas might benefit them, but are irrelevant to, or offer no real benefit to the average recreational rider. So while some of the mantras may technically be true, they may not be true for most people.
You hit the nail on the head. I think a lot of recreational cyclists act as if they are elite athletes. In their mind, if it's good for the pros it has to be good for me. Problem is they aren't burning anything close to the same amount of calories for 2 reasons: less time in the saddle and less calories burned per hour due to less effort.

I fell into this thought process when I first started cycling, then wised up and cut calories significantly. Now that I'm putting in much longer, harder efforts I have adjusted my calorie intake (before, during and after) accordingly but still do not try to mimic the pros.

Just as an example, a buddy of mine recently told me that he had to do a recovery ride on Friday due to his hard effort on Thursday. I don't think anyone with real cycling experience would have categorized his 1 hr effort as needing a recovery ride the following day. I just think he (like many others) like to have recovery rides/drink recovery drinks/etc. as it makes them be like the pros.
Old 06-21-15, 11:05 AM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by joshnc
If there are triathletes here it matters for 2 a day training sessions. It matters what you take in before and during the ride if you are trying to keep muscle.
There are.
Old 06-21-15, 11:43 AM

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
I thought this thread was gonna be about beer.

You should try it, works great.
Finally some logic.
I don't binge when I get home. In fact I rarely eat lunch on weekends. I usually get home from a sat ride, 40-80 miles, and go ride with my son or cut the lawn. I ride hard when I ride as I hate lolly gagging. I am primarily a runner and I don't binge After running either. I simply control myself. I like food and I eat as much of a portion as I like. I never snack or eat after 7pm. I feel like if I over eat, I can just run a little more.
I may try the beer suggestion though. The more is always the merrier.
Old 06-21-15, 11:45 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3914 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 1,402 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
I really appreciate this handy synopsis, thanks. One thing about having just protein after a moderate ride to prevent muscle burn while letting the fat burn continue, though: I get gout if I eat too much protein (or red meat). Is your 15 to 25 g of protein a moderate amount that might not be gout-inducing? Does anybody know?
Here's another synopsis:
Protein Shakes for Muscle Building That Don't Flare Up Gout | LIVESTRONG.COM

Whey protein isolate would be the lowest calorie choice - skim milk contains lactose. This one:
NOW Whey Protein Isolate at Bodybuilding.com: Lowest Prices for Whey Protein Isolate
seems a good value and low in cholesterol.
Old 06-21-15, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 1,479 Posts
Originally Posted by joshnc
Definately.

There are at least two top triathletes that post here. Neither discloses that though.

I'm not close to their capabilities do I'm not one
Old 06-21-15, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, some people's diets are more marginal than others' - some people really do need to replenish themselves after a ride.
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Compare the food stops at a century versus a marathon. Cyclists are told to eat, eat, eat. On the other hand runners might consume one or two gels over 26 miles or maybe four hours (I'm considering serious runners here)
I thought about that, too. That's one of the reasons I like cycling. And by the way, they're not food stops, they're "aid stations."

One thing I've noticed about folks who run a marathon occasionally vs folks who ride centuries is that a lot of folks will ride 100 miles more or less just because they keep going - they are often largely recreational. But I don't know anyone, and hear of very few, who will run for more than a couple of hours unless it's a competitive event or they're training for one. Who ever runs for a while, stops for lunch, then runs some more? Who goes running with friends? Some people, sure, but that's hardly the typical approach.
Old 06-21-15, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RShantz
(A) buddy of mine recently told me that he had to do a recovery ride on Friday due to his hard effort on Thursday. I don't think anyone with real cycling experience would have categorized his 1 hr effort as needing a recovery ride the following day.
Old 06-21-15, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
So can you physically tell when your body switches from burning fat to burning glycogen? Let's say you do a two-hour ride with ten 1 to 2-minute climbs that you purposely do at a higher intensity, to the point where you're breathing heavily and your heart rate is elevated. Do you burn more glycogen just on the climbs, and then revert back to fat burning for the remainder of the ride when you're spinning at a lower intensity?

The reason I ask is that at present my concern is with losing fat. Am I sabotaging the low intensity fat-burning by racing up the climbs? Or is it alright to do those "intervals" in an otherwise low intensity ride?
Old 06-21-15, 08:58 PM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
If you're below VT1, then you're primarily burning fat. You can approximate VT1 to be the point where your breathing becomes noticeable. For me, it's around 135 bpm or 250 watts when in shape.

Going above for a bit won't hurt your goal of training your body to burn fat.

Note that building base actually increases the amount of power you put out under VT1, so the fitter you get the faster you can burn fat.

This is why top endurance athletes spend so much training at low intensity.
Old 06-21-15, 09:36 PM
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
If you're below VT1, then you're primarily burning fat. You can approximate VT1 to be the point where your breathing becomes noticeable. For me, it's around 135 bpm or 250 watts when in shape.

Going above for a bit won't hurt your goal of training your body to burn fat.

Note that building base actually increases the amount of power you put out under VT1, so the fitter you get the faster you can burn fat.

This is why top endurance athletes spend so much training at low intensity.
If this is true, that would 'splain why, after getting down to within 2 lbs of my goal weight of 165, I went back up to 175 and can't seem to lose it, no matter how little I eat- 'cause I live in very hilly terrain, and there is no such thing as an "easy ride" for me; and this seems to have started (after maintaining in the high 160's) right when I started riding more frequently and/or longer distances. And why I seem to do better with weight loss if I take walks instead of rides. Interesting.

Thoughts?
Old 06-21-15, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is from personal experience; I find that my body benefits from special nutrition after hard rides, when the rides are very hard. If I am not sore the next day, or the ride wasn't that hard I didn't notice a difference with or with out special attention to food after the ride.

The benefits I experienced weren't even that major, just faster recovery and less general fatigue. That was only with extremely hard finds, or rides of a good distance.
Old 06-21-15, 11:05 PM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

We need to all "Caaaaab the @$%! up, man!! Caaab the %!$% up!!"

Last edited by loimpact; 06-21-15 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-21-15, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
So can you physically tell when your body switches from burning fat to burning glycogen? Let's say you do a two-hour ride with ten 1 to 2-minute climbs that you purposely do at a higher intensity, to the point where you're breathing heavily and your heart rate is elevated. Do you burn more glycogen just on the climbs, and then revert back to fat burning for the remainder of the ride when you're spinning at a lower intensity?

The reason I ask is that at present my concern is with losing fat. Am I sabotaging the low intensity fat-burning by racing up the climbs? Or is it alright to do those "intervals" in an otherwise low intensity ride?
You'll lose weight if you burn more calories than you take in. I wouldn't get too caught up in whether you're burning fat or carbs, it doesn't really matter as long as you don't alter how much you eat.

Riding at a higher intensity seems to trigger more of a hunger reflex but if you can control your intake you'll lose burn just as much fat but it will be after the ride rather than during.
Old 06-22-15, 03:20 AM

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
People vary a lot in their vocational activities too, I have had work days go to 20,000 steps and 200 flights of stairs. I have operated on a calorie deficit for over 400 days, I agree the issue is NOT recovery food or drink, it is overall caloric intake. I do try to alternate hard and easy days. A hard day for me is where I spend two hours with a lot of time at or over my LTHR, the next day I try to stay 125-130. I measure growth as a cyclist by my predominate speed at that lower HR. Usually I'm riding in the two hours between getting home from work and supper time, so supper is my recovery fuel. But if I ride after supper I just eat a little something after. It was a lot easier on second shift on weekdays because nothing else interfered with meal times. In some ways the pros may have it easier than a person who has to do a day job too for 8-10-12 hours that involves actual physical labor :-)....and ride 700+ miles a month on top of that. Guy I work with does "Spartan challanges" which seem to include obstacles courses, he is an inspector which is on your feet for 8 hours but not tough work, he "has" to take Monday off following the weekend of any challanges he enters. I don't know many cyclists who have to take Monday off for a century they rode Saturday :-)
Old 06-22-15, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know plenty of rec riders who will take off 3 or 4 days after a t-shirt ride.

For me recovery drinks are needed because #1 I'm already pretty lean and #2 I do my workouts at 5am on a cup of coffee and #3 I just get a recovery drink, not a recovery drink and recovery muffin and recovery banana.

Last edited by therhodeo; 06-22-15 at 07:48 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 06-22-15, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
As a long time runner and cyclist, cycling by comparison doesn't promote weight loss. Cycling is filled with a history of false notions and beliefs and the need to eat is one of those. Compare the food stops at a century versus a marathon. Cyclists are told to eat, eat, eat. On the other hand runners might consume one or two gels over 26 miles or maybe four hours (I'm considering serious runners here)
But doesn't this have less to do with the actual caloric needs of the activity, and more to do with it simply being far harder for the body to digest food while running than it is while cycling? Do triathletes eat during the bike leg? What about the run leg?
Old 06-22-15, 08:08 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 380 Posts
This is really pretty simple. If you did a long hard day today, and you're going to do a hard day again tomorrow, you need to consume a moderate serving of carbs, with protein (hence chocalate milk) with 30 minutes of riding.

Otherwise, if you're trying to lose weight, try to avoid eating much off the bike. If you're not trying to lose weight eat what makes you happy.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-22-15, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
But doesn't this have less to do with the actual caloric needs of the activity, and more to do with it simply being far harder for the body to digest food while running than it is while cycling? Do triathletes eat during the bike leg? What about the run leg?
Correct. And it's not uncommon for marathon runners, particularly those taking four hours, to run out of glycogen around mile 20 when they hit the proverbial "wall".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.