Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Early morning breakfast?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Early morning breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 04:00 PM
Orbea Crayola Rider

Bikes: '05 Orbea Onix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the "make sure it is something you have eaten before a long ride" comment. Nothing sucks more than trying to digest "foreign" food. I usually eat a couple of peanut butter and jelly samiches before a ride...a banana, and a bottle of water.

mscycler
Old 06-10-06, 07:16 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do the same thing every morning:

2c of coffee, bowl of cereal w/soy milk, 1/2 bagel with honey. After workout revovery shake:
1/2 c frozen blueberrys, 1 c soymilk, 1 banana, 2 scoops PowerBar revovery poweder, 1 tablespoon L-glutimine, blend.

Weekdays I'm up at 5am on the bike by 5:45. Weekends up by 6:30 on the bike by 7:30.

Race days I eat before I leave, then hydrate during the drive and while warming up, I'll also eat a PowerBar about an hour before the race.

FWIW my height is 5'10" weight 149# bf% +-9.5 age 44.
Old 06-11-06, 06:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have fun, as long as fuel up during the ride, you should be fine, you don't need a big breakfast before you go, just something that will get some slow carbs and aminos into your blood. Now if it was solo, then I would eat something a bit more substantial. And a metric century is a big deal, just like a regular century is, if it wasn't, it wouldn't have a name.
Old 06-11-06, 01:31 PM
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by derath
HEHE Yep. That is the one. You going? Any other BF members?

If so I will be getting there as close to 7am as possible. I will be on my Giant OCR C3 in my Seagull Century jersey.
-D
I was there last year but wasn't able to make it this year. My sister scheduled her move to her new apartment that morning, and I'm the only one who could drive the truck. The 8 to 12 move turned into 8 to 5, and I had to get all my riding in on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Wish I could have been there. I like to ride that part of PG. The weather looked good and I like riding with the OHBTC.

Last edited by cc_rider; 06-11-06 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-11-06, 04:51 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I get up early, I usually go with a Clif bar an some water or maybe a glass of accelerade. I can't ride with milk in my stomach, so cereal and stuff are out.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 06-11-06, 05:31 PM
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well? what did you end up having for brekky?
Old 06-11-06, 07:58 PM

Bikes: 2006 Novara Randonee, 2009 Fuji Cross Pro, 2013 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 2013 Allez Smartweld A5 Frankenbike, 2021 Diverge Comp Carbon

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I like Oatmeal (long cooking rolled oats, topped with a little real butter and real maple syrup - hits all the bases) when it's cool to cold outside. In the summer, I ain't cooking/eating that. Then I like to go to the Peanut Butter and Bannana sandwiches on whole wheat bread. How many depends on how far I'll be going....
'13 Specialized Roubaix Pro
'13 Specialized Allez Smartweld Frankenbike
'21 Diverge Comp Carbon
Old 06-11-06, 08:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My everyday breakfast:

Handful of oatmeal
2 spoonfuls of wheat bran
1 spoonful of 9 grain hot cereal uncooked
1 spoonful of unsweetened protein powder
A mix of life/oat bran/puffed wheat cereal/whatever healthy cereal we have....I'm guessing 1/2 cup here.
A large handful of frosted mini-wheats
1 1/2- 2 cups of milk
1 slice of organic sprouted bread

Always feel energetic and ready to get the day started after this breakfast, even when I get up at at 5:20 a.m. to ride.
Old 06-11-06, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caligurl
well? what did you end up having for brekky?
Well funny you should ask. Best laid plans...

Long story. I will keep it as concise as possible. Newborn kept my wife up all night thursday night. So I was feeling real bad about the fact that she was gonna have to deal with both kids saturday morning. It just so happened that my mom offered to watch him friday night (he is 8 weeks old).

So I went down there friday night. I was doing the ride with my dad anyhow.

So first off, I was a good 35 miles closer to the ride than I would have been. So I didn't have to get up as early. Plus my dad is one of those early risers so he had breakfast all ready when I woke up.

The downside is that it wasn't really what I would have chosen to eat, but it is hard to say "gee thanks for making breakfast. I'm not gonna eat it."

It was:

Bagel. Bagels are good, but it was one of those loaded ones, with salt garlic etc. I scraped off as much of the extra stuff as possible.

Eggs. Eggs are ok.
Sausage.
Coffee
Orange juice.

Not horrible, but a little heavy for me. Given the choice I would have done Oatmeal with bannanas, coffee, and maybe half a plain bagel.

Oh, and Caligirl, I am totally annoyed with Garmin now. But I will ***** about that over on motionbased.

-D
Old 06-12-06, 10:38 AM
not as fat as I was

Bikes: Trek 7000, Trek 5500, Fuji Newest 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boudicca
Cold oatmeal. Take rolled oats and mix with milk. Add some raisins, chopped fruit (prepared the night before) and yoghurt for instant muesli. Glorious. I live on it all summer round, and then I switch to cooked oatmeal for the winter. If you use the slow-cook oatmeal you can even mix it the night before, but don't try that with the quick-cook stuff because it goes all squidgy.

Or instant oatmeal. Put two packets in a bowl with water and put in the microwave for the right amount of seconds, being careful to take it out before the wake-up "ping". Rinse bowl quietly when you are done and place in dishwasher.

And take a muffin for the road. I always get hungry two hours after I eat regardless of how big my breakfast is.
Good stuff for sure. I buy the dry Muesli in the store and put it all in a large nalgene bottle the night before. Sometimes, I'll do it in the morning and nuke it for 40 seconds or so before heading out. By the time i get where i'm going, it's ready to eat.