Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

playing music on the commute? speakers?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

playing music on the commute? speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-15, 10:22 AM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I wonder why it's so difficult to actually enjoy Other People's Music?

It's not as if it's a bodily fluid.

If the speaker were moved from their bike to yours, then it's suddenly Your Music, and somehow more enjoyable. Lol.
Unfortunately much of the music that gets played out loud in public is as disgusting as bodily fluid.

The "music" of silence and nature belongs to everyone, but can be taken away by only one.
Old 10-10-15, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I mean, no one else gets to really LISTEN to my music, unless they make a point of staying on my wheel. People are just getting a doppler effect altered snippet of one song of my choosing (unless we're stopped together). I can see how that would be annoying in a soundscape otherwise comprised of natural sounds. In a city; sorry, you have to deal with a lot more than just me. My footprint isn't a big one in the grand scheme so I opt to allow myself some extra happiness on the road.

I don't think I'm farting in the elevator, is my point.

EDIT: oh, and meant to say I can totally understand not enjoying other people's music. Especially when not even getting a chance to actually listen. But yeah, music choice is subjective and generally I'm not a fan of what other speaker-using cyclists are playing.

Last edited by Hugh Morris; 10-10-15 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-10-15, 11:23 AM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I have a cheap@$$ BT speaker that was given to me, which I carry in the top mesh pocket of my trunk bag. It's awkwardly shaped with no other good way of mounting it anywhere. I have to turn it up to max volume to hear it, and even then sometimes I can't hear it with the wind noise.

On my 31 mile commute I pretty much never see a single cyclist anywhere else at all. So I really don't care who hears what I'm listening to. The motorists will be past me in a split second, and I will be past any pedestrians in a split second (also almost none of those).
Except you can hear the damn things 100s of feet away.

I had a motorcycle with speakers cranked go by me...I was having his "music" inflicted on me until he was at least a 1/4mile down the road....and the damned engine noise another 1/4mile after that, as well as a 1/2 mile preceding him.
Old 10-10-15, 11:37 AM
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sing to myself when I ride. Sometimes the songs are made up as I go along, other times they are legitimate songs that for what ever reason are stuck in my head. That's the music I listen to. And yes, I occasionally get funny looks from folks who happen upon me while doing so.
Old 10-10-15, 01:20 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Did another 35 miles this morning, with the Boombot streaming Pandora the whole way. Amazingly, no one died. I mean, what are the odds? There should have been at least one other cyclist killed by the music, and I should have (statistically) been killed by a truck. I will continue to defy the odds. Sally forth, etc, et al.
Old 10-10-15, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Did another 35 miles this morning, with the Boombot streaming Pandora the whole way. Amazingly, no one died. I mean, what are the odds? There should have been at least one other cyclist killed by the music, and I should have (statistically) been killed by a truck. I will continue to defy the odds. Sally forth, etc, et al.
It's great you made it out alive but just think of the lives you ruined of those who had the misfortune of hearing your toxic music. And be sure to post your play list so we can criticize it and feel better about ourselves.

Last edited by megalowmatt; 10-10-15 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-10-15, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
hahahahahahha, you're right, given all that, statistically you really shouldn't bother with a helmet. What are the odds?
Old 10-10-15, 05:19 PM

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I just purchased this at The Source (formerly Radio Shack).

https://www.thesource.ca/estore/Produ...roduct=8015478

I tested it at the store to ensure there's no static at my favourite station but it does take 4 AAAA batteries.

The cylindrical shape makes it easy to tie it either to the handlebar or toptube. I can even slip it through the headband of my headlamp on my helmet.
Old 10-12-15, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Slate and the rest don't matter anymore.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
It is not safe. If I were playing tunes during my daily rides, I would be dead several times over by now. Most recent: last month I was just about to turn left. I was positioned close to the yellow centerline with my arm out to signal a left. Just as I was about to start the turn, a minivan blew by me on the left. That’s right: I was passed on the left on a narrow road with a solid centerline, speed bumps and a blind corner at the bottom. The van was coasting on the downhill. I only hesitated on the turn because I heard some faint rustling to my left.

I fear you didn't learn your lesson. Instead of focusing on how your ears saved you, you should focus on how your lack of a head turn almost got you killed. Relying on your hearing is a terrible way to navigate the streets. Yes, that minivan shouldn't have been there. The fact is, there was a possibility a vehicle could have been there. Therefore a head turn was required to safely make a turn. You were really lucky to hear that faint rustling. Had you been in an area with more ambient noise, I probably wouldn't be replying to your post.

A rider listening to music, with his head on a swivel is much safer than someone riding with tunnel vision.
Old 10-12-15, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by RoderWrench
I fear you didn't learn your lesson. Instead of focusing on how your ears saved you, you should focus on how your lack of a head turn almost got you killed. Relying on your hearing is a terrible way to navigate the streets. Yes, that minivan shouldn't have been there. The fact is, there was a possibility a vehicle could have been there. Therefore a head turn was required to safely make a turn. You were really lucky to hear that faint rustling. Had you been in an area with more ambient noise, I probably wouldn't be replying to your post.

A rider listening to music, with his head on a swivel is much safer than someone riding with tunnel vision.
That's my opinion as well. I feel safer wearing headphones than not, because my brain sometimes it can rely on my hearing to hear cars behind me, when the only thing that's actually affective is to actually look. Wearing headphones makes my brain realize that I'd better look - which is far far safer than hoping a car passing me is making enough noise to hear it.

You can't rely on your ears for knowing what's behind you, you have to look.
Old 10-12-15, 10:21 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RoderWrench
^+1 to this right here. I always make the assumption there is a vehicle where it shouldn't be and do a quick look. The only close calls I have had were cars trying to turn left from the other way into me.
Old 10-12-15, 10:50 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by megalowmatt
Good grief. Now we've even moved on to the "my crappy music is better than your crappy music" phase of the thread.
True, following is a list of ILTB approved Real Deal Music™ for listening to only with a personal device while cycling. I listen to this playlist on my mp3 player when I like a change of pace from audio books. Note that I would find it (or any other kind of music, good or bad) offensive to have to hear it coming from anybody's external speakers/boombox. Noise pollution from boomboxes played in public spaces were a public plague decades ago and still are.

The approved list:
Albert King - Personal Manager
Alicia Keys - Fallin'
Aretha Franklin - (Pride) A Deeper Love
Aretha Franklin - Gentle On My Mind
Aretha Franklin - Groovin'
Aretha Franklin - I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)
Aretha Franklin - i never loved a man
Aretha Franklin - Jimmy Lee
Aretha Franklin - Oh Happy Day
Aretha Franklin - Pitiful
Aretha Franklin - Prove It
Aretha Franklin - Tracks Of My Tears
Aretha Franklin - You Send Me
Bill Withers - Lean On Me
Bill Withers - Lovely Day
Bill Withers - Use Me Up
Bill Withers - Who Is He
Billy Ocean - When The Going Gets Tough
Billy Stewart - I Do Love You_original
Bo Diddley - Mona
Bo Diddley - Who Do You Love
Buddy Guy - First Time I Met The Blues
Buddy Guy - Red House
Buffalo Springfield - For What Its Worth
BusBoys - Boys are Back 48 Hours
BusBoys - New Shoes 48 Hours
Carly Simon - All I Want is You
Carly Simon - Coming Around Again-Itsy Bitsy Spider
Carly Simon - Nobody Does It Better
Carly Simon- The stuff that dreams are made of
Clyde McPhatter - Little Bitty Pretty One
Curtis Mayfield - Pusherman
Cyndi Lauper - True Colors (Junior Vasquez Gay Pride Mix) 1
David Bowie - Changes
David Bowie - Fame
Deborah Cox - Who Do You Love RARE Junior Vasquez DMC remix 1
Edwin Starr - War
Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind
Four Tops - 7 Rooms Of Gloom
Four Tops - Bernadette
Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - The Love I Lost
Ike & Tina Turner - Come Together
Ike & Tina Turner - River Deep, Mountain High
Ike and Tina Turner - ***** Tonk Woman
Isley Brothers - Love The One You're With
Isley Brothers - Spill The Wine
Jackie Wilson - Higher And Higher
Jackie Wilson - Lonely Teardrops
James Brown - Ain't That A Groove
James Brown - Bewildered 192
james brown - cold sweat
James Brown - Get on Up
James Brown - I Got That Feeling
James Brown - prisoner of love
James Brown - There Was A Time
Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls Of Fire
Jerry Lee Lewis - Wild One
John Lee Hooker & Bonnie Raitt - I'm in The Mood
Kirk Franklin - Gonna Be A Lovely Day
kirk franklin - Hosanna
Kirk Franklin - Revolution
Kirk Franklin & God's Property - Stomp (Remix Featuring Kirk Franklin & Salt).mp
Kirk Franklin feat. Mary J Blige - Lean On Me
Lionel Richie - Night Shift
Lionel Richie - All Night Long-6minutes
Luther Vandross - Love The One You're With
Luther Vandross - Lovely Day extended ver
Luther Vandross - Power Of Love_6min
Luther Vandross & Janet Jackson - Best Thing in My Life are Free
Martha & The Vandellas - Heat Wave
Muddy Waters & Bo Diddley - Who Do You Love
Pointer Sisters - Ill Take You There
Pointer Sisters - Jump (For My Love)
Pointer Sisters - Yes We Can Can
Prince - I Would Die For You
Prince - Let's Go Crazy
Prince - Sign O The Times_albumtrack
Prince - The Max
Quicksilver - Mona
Quicksilver - Who Do You Love
Rod Stewart - Forever Young
Rod Stewart - Street Fighting Man
Rod Stewart - Young hearts be free tonight
Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knocking_Long
Rolling Stones - Dancing with Mr D
Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
Rolling Stones - Its All Over Now
Rolling stones - mannish boy
Rufus & Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody
Rush - Not Fade Away
Sam and Dave - I Thank You
Sam and Dave - Wrap It Up
Sam And Dave - you dont know what you mean to me
Shanice and Brandy - Missing You
Slim Harpo - Shake Your Hips
Spinners - Games People Play
Spinners - I'll Be Around
Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way (Extended) 1
Them - Baby Please Don't Go
Them - Get Your Kicks On Route 66
Them - Mystic Eyes
Them -One Two Brown Eyes
TINA TURNER - BETTER BE GOOD TO Me
Toby Mac ft. Kirk Franklin - Throw Yo Hands Up
Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl
Viva Elvis - Blue Suede Shoes
Viva Elvis - Burning Love
Viva Elvis - King Creole
Viva Elvis - Suspicious Minds
Viva Elvis - Viva Las Vegas
Whitney Houston - How Will I Know Junior Vasquez Mix
Whitney Houston - Its Not right but its ok
Whitney Houston - Love That Man (Peter Rauhofer Retro Remix) 1
Whitney Houston - So Emotional
Whitney Houston - Step By Step
Who - Magic Bus
Who - Baba O'Reilly
Wilson Pickett - Don't Let The Green Grass Fool You
Old 10-12-15, 11:13 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Slate and the rest don't matter anymore.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Carly Simon- Nobody Does it Better??? While your riding??? Oh dear.
Old 10-12-15, 03:23 PM

Bikes: CAAD 9 Tiagra, DaVinci Madrid, DaVinci Oslo, CAAD 10 (one day)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quadripper
Anybody play music on their commute? obviously headphones in both ears not kosher.
any recommendations for a bluetooth/battery powered speaker to put in a backpack or pannier to make the commute a little more musical?
Night rides, when no one is around, I just put my iPhone in my bike shorts and play some music. Usually can only hear it when slow/stopping anyways.

Nowadays, I ride with the standard iPhone headphones, but only put one ear in (right side). That way I can even chat with people if necessary and its very easy to control volume etc.
I purchased a blue tooth headphone system (Jabra Sport) but it wasn't worth it. It was $100 and its pretty low quality- my music sounds like there are tons of expletives (lots of breaks in the music/pod casts) which is really annoying. Further, the bluetooth is terrible for voice, and no one can hear me while I'm riding- whereas with the standard iPhone headphones, people are always surprised I'm biking.

Yes there are definitely safety issues with having music playing / having an earbud in, but it does make the commute so much better and I still feel I'm paying more attention to the road than a driver doing the same thing.
Old 10-13-15, 09:34 AM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Trueblood
Ha, you are just trolling. Come on up north of the Mason-Dixon to NYC and try it on 5th or 6th Avenue during rush hour. I am originally from the Carolinas, trust me it is a little different here.

Looks like Memphis is fairly safe for cyclists, only three fatalities since 2010 - Memphis Cyclist: Tragic death of a cyclist, south of Memphis, should serve as a reminder of the constant need for caution and safety

There were 20 in NYC in 2014 alone per the embedded graphic in this article - Cycling Deaths Have Doubled Over Last Year In NYC: Gothamist

I hope that provides some much needed perspective.
Trolling huh? Right. I never use headphones or 'buds for biking, running etc. because I want to hear my surroundings. A small bluetooth speaker should not be lumped into the same category, because there is just no way a little speaker is going to drown out wind noise and surrounding traffic when there is nothing actually in or over your ears.

With a BT speaker I can hear the music AND hear my surroundings. In many instances the surroundings drowns out my speaker even at max volume.

Now, having said all that, if I were in a situation with many other cyclists around me, like in a dense, busy urban setting with lots of commuters, I probably would not have music at all. But that's just me. I know people who do use speakers in such settings, and it's really not a big deal.

I did a midnight charity ride back in August along with hundreds of other people, and used my speaker for that ride. Lots of other people on their bikes also had speakers with music playing. Nobody really cared. One dude rode alongside me for a bit, bopping to my music and was like "what are we listening to, dude??" We chatted for a bit and he rolled on past.
Old 10-13-15, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Here's my playlist:
Old 10-13-15, 10:56 AM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Here's my playlist:
Wow, we have the same playlist.
Old 10-13-15, 11:08 AM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
My playlist consists of Above & Beyond's (UK electronic music DJ and producer trio) 2-hour weekly podcast. That's pretty much it.
Old 10-13-15, 11:13 AM

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Most of the people I see with music on their bikes are the ones who look homeless and have an old boombox taped onto an old beater bike...
Old 10-13-15, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Most of the people I see with music on their bikes are the ones who look homeless and have an old boombox taped onto an old beater bike...
Do you ask their play list?
Old 10-13-15, 12:04 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by rmfnla
Your point is...?
Old 10-13-15, 12:27 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by alan s
Here's my playlist:
Some people may prefer a playlist of obnoxious street noise and cacophony.
To each their own.
Old 10-13-15, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
True, following is a list of ILTB approved Real Deal Music™ for listening to only with a personal device while cycling. I listen to this playlist on my mp3 player when I like a change of pace from audio books. Note that I would find it (or any other kind of music, good or bad) offensive to have to hear it coming from anybody's external speakers/boombox. Noise pollution from boomboxes played in public spaces were a public plague decades ago and still are.

The approved list:
Albert King - Personal Manager…Wilson Pickett - Don't Let The Green Grass Fool You

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I think the subject of this thread is playing music externally so that others can hear it, and I think that's rude, and a frequent practice of cagers.

Wearing headphones while riding IMO is a separate subject, that has been interminably thrashed on many threads on various Forums. But if you must, go ahead, and pass the popcorn.
FYA, my playlist is posted on my profile page 2; about half the songs are before 1950, and only a couple after 1980: Swanee (Al Jolson)…Legs (ZZTop).
Old 10-13-15, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Some people may prefer a playlist of obnoxious street noise and cacophony.
To each their own.
Some people need a playlist that will drown out negative thoughts.
Old 10-13-15, 01:06 PM

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Listened to live radio on my morning commute. Pretty cool. I like it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.