Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tell Me Why My CAAD12 3+mph Faster than Fuji Touring - Controlled Experiment

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-18, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I've done this controlled experiment for the last 2 weeks and found I can ride my CAAD at 20.5 mph and the Fuji at 17.1 mph averaged over 7 rides each.

Variables Controlled For:
a) Same Flat 15 mile Route (In/Out MUP with No Traffic Lights or Stops)
b) Time of Day (I alternated the days for each bike)
c) Shoes (SPD and same shoe)
d) Same Tires (both using 25mm)

Here are the key differences beteen the bikes. Which ones do you think are the main reason(s) for the speed difference?

a) BB and Cranks- (CAAD is PF 2 piece. Fuji is 3 piece ST).
b) Geometry (CAAD Stack/Reach 563/393, Fuji 588/383)
c) Frame material and/or stiffness (CAAD is Alu, Fuji Steel)
d) Weight (CAAD is 18 pounds, Fuji 26 pounds)
e) Wheelset (CAAD is sealed bearing 1600g, Fuji is touring wheels with loose balls and 2200g)
f) Something else?

Last edited by raria; 10-04-18 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 08:01 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
So I've done this controlled experiment for the last 2 weeks and found I can ride my CAAD at 20.5 mph and the Fuji at 17.1 mph averaged over 7 rides each.

d) Tires (both using 25mm)

Here are the key differences beteen the bikes. Which ones do you think are the main reason(s) for the speed difference?

c) Frame material (CAAD is Alu, Fuji Steel)
e) Wheelset (CAAD is sealed bearing 1600g, Fuji is touring wheels with loose balls and 2200g)
f) Something else?

Whilst I can see the width of your tyres are the same, are the tyre compounds the same?

Also I imagine you are more aero on your CAAD, than on your Fuji.
Old 10-04-18, 08:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks.

Yes, same compound.

Yes, due to a lower stack and longer reach I'm more aero.

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Whilst I can see the width of your tyres are the same, are the tyre compounds the same?

Also I imagine you are more aero on your CAAD, than on your Fuji.
Old 10-04-18, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
The biggest variable cannot be accounted for is effort. Without some way of measuring effort, it would be difficult to come to any accurate conclusions.
Old 10-04-18, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Insignificant, unless one of them is broken or if the dimensions of the cranks (particularly q-factor or crank length) are creating a fit issue.

Gearing could make a difference, but considering that the route is flat, probably not.

Stack and reach mostly matter insofar as they affect your fit. If you've got both bikes fit exactly the same, then it's not particularly important.

But if you ride the CAAD more aero than the Fuji, this could make a HUGE difference.

Insignificant from a pure power transfer standpoint.

It might matter if your body and legs prefer how one frame or the other pedals and rides, but this is hard to predict.

That's a pretty big difference, but if the course is actually flat and you're riding it steady, it shouldn't make much of a dent.

Unless one of the wheelsets has bearings that are absolutely trashed, the bearing difference will be insignificant. And again, if the course is truly flat and you're riding it steady, the weight difference shouldn't be significant (although it will definitely contribute to the bikes feeling different to ride).

f) Something else?
If a road bike fits and provides the postures you want for the riding you're doing, has gearing appropriate for you and the riding you're doing, has fast tires, and is generally functioning well, that's pretty much the low-hanging fruit. Diminishing returns start setting in hard as you go beyond that.

It's normal for even sporty touring builds to end up a bit slower than racing builds for a multitude of reasons, but 3mph is an astronomical difference. Since you claim your tire setup is the same, and since the gearing is probably not creating issues for you on a flat ride, my biggest suspicion would be fit discrepancies. If you're less aero on the Fuji, and especially if you don't have a posture on it that's comfortable for powerful pedaling, that could explain a sizable chunk of the performance gap.

Originally Posted by colnago62
The biggest variable cannot be accounted for is effort. Without some way of measuring effort, it would be difficult to come to any accurate conclusions.
Yeah, this too. Some folks ride harder on bikes they feel zippier on. Although, if the conditions aren't highly variable, and you're riding your guts out every time, 3mph should still be quite a ways below the noise floor after 7 runs.

Last edited by HTupolev; 10-04-18 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 08:43 PM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Hm. I'd say take the wheels off the old Fuji and turn the axle by hand. If you feel any roughness or tightness beyond a quality combination lock, the cones may be too tight or the bearings may be shot (very common).

My second guess is that you're putting in more effort. When you're leaned over, you're not just more aero (which would help a lot with speed, don't get me wrong) - more of your weight is over the pedals. This forces you to push harder on the pedals to keep the weight off your arms. It becomes more comfortable to go fast than go slow. The combination of these two effects could easily account for a 3mph difference on the flats.

EDIT: guy above me said the same thing. Ugh
Old 10-04-18, 08:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But thats why i limited it to 15 mile rides

I did this ride at 8am every day and my mind set was go flat out. By the end of it i was dead!

Old 10-04-18, 08:55 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts

d) Same Tires (both using 25mm)

f) Something else?

An interesting experiment that you could try out if your wheels are interchangeable, is to swap wheels between the bikes and see if that makes any difference.
Old 10-04-18, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Position and effort.
Old 10-04-18, 09:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
An interesting experiment that you could try out if your wheels are interchangeable, is to swap wheels between the bikes and see if that makes any difference.
They are both 130mm rear spacing, but the CAAD is 11 speed and the Fuji 8 speed so I'd need to add a spae to the 11 speed wheelset. Too much work!

Originally Posted by gregf83
Position and effort.
I figured it was that and/or frame/crankset stiffness (i.e. power transfer)
Old 10-04-18, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Yes. Fast bike makes you ride faster
Old 10-04-18, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I figured it was that and/or frame/crankset stiffness (i.e. power transfer)
Frame/crank power transfer losses are so small that there have basically never been published measurements of them. Whatever they are, they're not on the right order of magnitude to be a significant portion of the 3mph difference you're dealing with.
Old 10-04-18, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aside from the actual frame geometry, any stem spacer differences?
Old 10-05-18, 05:06 AM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
No power = a massive uncontrolled variable.
Old 10-05-18, 05:41 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Yup.
Old 10-05-18, 05:52 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4758 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
I did this ride at 8am every day and my mind set was go flat out. By the end of it i was dead!
A flat route could mean you're spinning in the same gear over much of the course. On the CAAD, which gear is this? Putting the Fuji in the same gear and attempting the same cadence as on the CAAD, what happens?
Old 10-05-18, 06:04 AM
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,199 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Usually, yes, but if you can find a time with zero wind and you have a way to record second-by-second speed (will a Strava phone app do that? I use a head unit that lets me do this so I don't know if a phone app does) you can do zero power coast downs on a flat road (or a hill, but a flat road works, too). If you start at different initial speeds and the tires/tubes are the same, you can isolate both the rolling and aero resistance. Two runs (one at low speed, one at high) for each bike. We're not talking a long ride, nor a long steep hill; I've done this over a two-block long road that had a 5m drop from beginning to end. Each run took 30 seconds or so.
Old 10-05-18, 06:42 AM
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
It’s not controlled if you don’t know your power. I can ride my pinarello at about 20mph average on the flats and rode a townie 19mph for 10 miles this summer.

Why do racers ride 5mph faster on time trials? A little bit is aero, but mostly it’s all out effort.
Old 10-05-18, 07:05 AM
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,199 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
It’s not controlled if you don’t know your power. I can ride my pinarello at about 20mph average on the flats and rode a townie 19mph for 10 miles this summer.

Why do racers ride 5mph faster on time trials? A little bit is aero, but mostly it’s all out effort.
When you coast you know your power is zero.
Old 10-05-18, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
What color are the bikes? That's a huge unaccounted for variable right there.
Old 10-05-18, 07:24 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22650 Post(s)
Liked 8,967 Times in 4,178 Posts
Maybe 3 MPH difference in tailwind?

Honestly, assuming you are pushing the same power/watts and your position is the same (frontal area/aerodynamics), the difference should be modest.
Old 10-05-18, 07:39 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks - Summary

Surprisingly no one is saying its the frameset, material, crankset things we spend most of the time discussing on this forum.

So I think I can see several major explanations coming out:

1) Its not the bike its my power output.
Unfortunately I don't have a power meter so this is an uncontrolled variable. But I did 7 rides each of the bikes over two weeks (alternating bikes) and I went flat out (only 15 miles) always after a high carb breakfast. I can genuinely say that I tried to put out maximum power each time

2) Aero and pedaling position.
The CAAD is definitely more Aero and I'm definitely longer and lower on it. Not sure how the geo differences cause different pedaling efficiencies.
Old 10-05-18, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What's the power?

Are the CAAD 12 faster than the Fuji with the same power output?

We're all just speculating without a power meter.
Old 10-05-18, 07:49 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Surprisingly no one is saying its the frameset, material, crankset things we spend most of the time discussing on this forum.

So I think I can see several major explanations coming out:

1) Its not the bike its my power output.
Unfortunately I don't have a power meter so this is an uncontrolled variable. But I did 7 rides each of the bikes over two weeks (alternating bikes) and I went flat out (only 15 miles) always after a high carb breakfast. I can genuinely say that I tried to put out maximum power each time

2) Aero and pedaling position.
The CAAD is definitely more Aero and I'm definitely longer and lower on it. Not sure how the geo differences cause different pedaling efficiencies.
Rider's body on the bike is the greatest source of aerodynamic drag, so changing the riding position makes a big difference.
Old 10-05-18, 08:16 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I bet you throw some clip-on aerobars on the Fuji and it will suddenly be faster than the CAAD. Aerodynamic drag is 90% of what's limiting you. When I'm moving at 20mph, aerobars require about 20 less watts than being in the drops. The difference in required output between hoods and drops is comparatively insignificant. Elbows in, head down = faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.