Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Disc Brakes; Yay or Nay?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disc Brakes; Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 02:12 PM

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
I was out for a ride yesterday and got caught in a shower. I got wet. So did my bike.

May-Day ... May Day ... May Day ... Oh, cancel that. MY RIM BRAKES WORKED JUST FINE.!!!

Signed .... OP

I don't need disc brakes. Thanks but no thanks.
Old 08-23-18, 04:00 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
I was out for a ride yesterday and got caught in a shower. I got wet. So did my bike.

May-Day ... May Day ... May Day ... Oh, cancel that. MY RIM BRAKES WORKED JUST FINE.!!!

Signed .... OP

I don't need disc brakes. Thanks but no thanks.

was this on your new bike? If so, what did you buy?

Apologies if you already posted about that, I may have missed it what with all the bickering regarding disc vs rim brakes.
Old 08-23-18, 06:41 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
It is simply unnatural. It violates every law of the universe. You must choose one to love and defend, and you must hate and revile the other.
if I must choose than I choose................rim brakes! I have rim brakes with alloy wheels, rim brakes with carbon wheels, hydraulic disc, mechanical disc, V brakes, Canti's and I choose all forms of rim brakes. IMHO hydraulic disc is an unparalleled stopping experience but it comes at a higher cost of ownership. Rim brakes are reliable. effectice, and cheaper in every aspect.
Old 08-23-18, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by winston63

was this on your new bike? If so, what did you buy?

Apologies if you already posted about that, I may have missed it what with all the bickering regarding disc vs rim brakes.
No. I haven't bought yet. It's going to be a while. I'm enjoying the search. And, I'm enjoying the Schwinn with monster 42c tires. Had it off-road today. All 40 lbs. of it. So now you see why I'm wanting a road bike. But I'll always keep the Schwinn. Love it.
Old 08-24-18, 12:42 AM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs

No. I haven't bought yet. It's going to be a while. I'm enjoying the search. And, I'm enjoying the Schwinn with monster 42c tires. Had it off-road today. All 40 lbs. of it. So now you see why I'm wanting a road bike. But I'll always keep the Schwinn. Love it.
Oh for sure you should keep it! It’s great having more than one bike, especially when they fill a different niche. I think you’ll enjoy adding a road bike, but there are times when your Schwinn will be a more suitable ride.
Old 08-24-18, 09:59 AM

Bikes: 1984 Gitane Criterium, 2016 Fuji Cross 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This year I bought my first bike with hydraulic disc brakes. TBH, they are kinda nice but not really worth it for me. I work on my own bikes and its just an added hassle without much gain. For a MTB, XC, or touring bike its more practical, but for a commuter/road bike, not worth the hassle for the vast majority of riders. Unless you're a pro ripping up the streets, or you're using carbon wheels, caliper brakes are just fine IMHO
Old 08-24-18, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by pillows_
This year I bought my first bike with hydraulic disc brakes. TBH, they are kinda nice but not really worth it for me. I work on my own bikes and its just an added hassle without much gain.

What do you find to be the added hassle with hydro discs?
Old 08-24-18, 07:41 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,532 Times in 1,858 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464
defending them to all the people who are closed-minded.
Old 08-24-18, 07:45 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I wonder about the folks speaking of the "hassle" of hydro discs. I made the conversion from TRP Hy/Rd to full-hydro about 10 weeks ago, and have literally not touched the brakes since I finished the install. Nothing, in ~1,100 miles.

Feels like every other time I ride in the wet with rim brakes, I have to take the KoolStop pads out and give 'em a quick sanding, or deal with the pulsing feeling they develop. I've had to mess with rim brakes a whole lot more than disc.
Old 08-24-18, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Disc brakes allow greater clearance for fatter tires. I bought a new bike recently and went for the disc brakes because I wanted 32 mm tires. They work well, though I never had any problems with rim brakes. Rim brakes are easy to work on. I'm not so sure about disc brakes, especially those that are hydraulic.
That is a generalization. Short reach caliper rim brakes may limit tire width, but longer length calipers will open wider. If you want to run real wide tires and also narrow tires with rim brakes just pick a bike with cantilever brakes. My Shimano cantilevers will open wider than the fork or seat stays of the frame so the limitation is there I can fit tires from 25mm to 38mm (I use 28 and 32mm). I see more tire limitations due to frame design than brake caliper design.

Where a disk would have an real advantage over a caliper on tire size would be if you wanted to swap a set of 700C and 650B wheels on the same frame as the rim brakes would be challenged by the two diameters..
Old 08-24-18, 10:21 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
its not a huge hassle but compared to old school brakes it takes more time and is much easier to mess things up. Shortening brake lines, bleeding them, truing rotors, very little clearance when using new rotors and pads, if something happens while you're out on a ride you're pretty SOL

I dont hate them but for most of the riding I do regular brakes are A-OK for me
Old 08-24-18, 10:26 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If you blow out the front one on a tour in the middle of nowhere, its really hard to take the fluid and lines out of the back one and put it up front for better stopping power the way you could with a cable?

/notactuallyaseriousproblem
Old 08-24-18, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like caliper brakes
Old 08-25-18, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go for it

Disc all day long.
Old 08-25-18, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
If you blow out the front one on a tour in the middle of nowhere, its really hard to take the fluid and lines out of the back one and put it up front for better stopping power the way you could with a cable?

/notactuallyaseriousproblem

just unclip the hose from the frame and move the rear caliper to the front, 4-6 bolts and its done.

From my experience over the last two years or so with hydro discs they are pretty much a set and forget. Bleeding and doing the initial set up does not take much more if any more time the the initial install of rim brakes.
Old 08-25-18, 11:58 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Rader did a video reviewing a new bike, or specifically new hydraulic brakes (I cant remember which and the video may have been deleted because I cant find it now). In that video Ben Delaney and friends trekked up a mountain in Colorado and on the decent one of Ben's hydros overheated and sprung a leak rendering it useless. Fearing the other brake would overheat and fail, he had to hold on to his friends as they slowly coasted back down

There is also the possibility of warping your rotors from excessive heat

Last edited by pillows_; 08-25-18 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-25-18, 01:23 PM

Short of a really long down hill road route, I cannot see how one could get brakes to a temperature that warped rotors are really a concern. Even then, swapping between front and rear and letting them cool is incredibly simple.
Old 08-25-18, 02:38 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Bike Rader did a video reviewing a new bike, or specifically new hydraulic brakes (I cant remember which and the video may have been deleted because I cant find it now). In that video Ben Delaney and friends trekked up a mountain in Colorado and on the decent one of Ben's hydros overheated and sprung a leak rendering it useless. Fearing the other brake would overheat and fail, he had to hold on to his friends as they slowly coasted back down

Short of a really long down hill road route, I cannot see how one could get brakes to a temperature that warped rotors are really a concern. Even then, swapping between front and rear and letting them cool is incredibly simple.
if the brakes get so overheated they boil the fluid and blow a gasket, i don't think warping the discs would be impossible ... or important, because you'd already be careening down a mountain with only one brake ... and the other had already overheated when using two brakes, meaning you chances of failure were vastly increased.

I am not anti-disc ... i am pro-Truth. I have seen rim brakes heat a tire so much iot blew off the wheel (on TV in races, but i saw it.) Now I hear this story.

I am not voting for one or the other ... that is nonsense. But I like to know the limitations of the machinery which I might call upon to save my life some day so ... information s a Good thing.
Old 08-25-18, 02:43 PM

I'm still leaning towards Rim Brakes. Nearly every bike I'm interested in comes with disc's standard. Scott seems to be among the few that offer rim brakes on a new bike.

It might be hard to avoid disc brakes on a new bike. Kinda ticks me off.

Can a bike shop change out disc brakes to rims.?? Can they order a bike without disc brakes, a sort of custom order.??
Old 08-25-18, 02:47 PM

Unfortunately, a bike with discs will have a fork and chain stays with holes for mounting discs--- and likely no hole in the fork for rim brakes, and no brake-bridge in the back. So ... no go.
Old 08-25-18, 02:55 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Though rare, I have 2 bikes which can use Disc or V brakes ..

One of them is from Bike Friday,

this is the other one .. 04 model , 03 came with discs ..

of course disc mount is seen on the NDS.. it Came with these, Magura , the hydraulic rim brake..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-25-18 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-25-18, 03:02 PM

if the brakes get so overheated they boil the fluid and blow a gasket, i don't think warping the discs would be impossible ... or important, because you'd already be careening down a mountain with only one brake ... and the other had already overheated when using two brakes, meaning you chances of failure were vastly increased.
Getting brakes on cars to their failure point is part of my job. Even though I have seen people catch corners of the car on fire doing that testing, and regularly in my own development and testing get them to the point of smelling pungent burnign smells, does not mean it has ever once been a concern of mine driving around regularly. Just because one can, does not mean 99.99% of people ever have to worry about it.

I'd have locked up the brakes and brought the bike to a halt well before you ever worried about cooking rotors. IMO, it is such a small corner case for most of the world that it is not a concern, and to those whom it is, they know what they are doing already.
Old 08-25-18, 04:27 PM

IMO, it is such a small corner case for most of the world that it is not a concern, and to those whom it is, they know what they are doing already.
Whereas, blowing a hydro line and having to reconnect the other brake is a common experience? This whole thread is silly. We all know the many braking systems and we all know they all work. Some have minor advantages in certain situations ... and as you note, most people Never test Any of their mechanical systems to the limit anyway.
Old 08-25-18, 04:30 PM

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I bought a new bike this year and it came with disc brakes. I like the brakes but it seems to me they are way more hassle than rim brakes. The front disc brakes is continually going out of alignment. So I keep this annoying 'tick tick tick' while riding. Then there's the maintenance. The brake dust needs to be cleaned out on a fairly regular basis. Definitely more work than what I'm used to.

That said, the brakes work damn well and I have no fear of brake fade or issues with my carbon wheels from lots of intense/consistent braking.
Old 08-25-18, 05:16 PM

Whereas, blowing a hydro line and having to reconnect the other brake is a common experience?
I think you missed the "/notactuallyaseriousproblem"

But yeah, if I were picking between two hypothetical and fairly implausible scenarios, I would still say cutting a hydro line is more plausible than a warped rotor. I've cut brake lines on a car before, I've never warped a rotor to the point of concern

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.