Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.
View Poll Results: How long have you been car light or car free?
Car light less than 1 year
15.87%
Car free less than 1 year
9.13%
Car light less than 5 years
12.92%
Car free less than 5 years
11.25%
Car light more than 5 years
9.04%
Car free more than 5 years
21.49%
Contemplating a car light or car free change
17.80%
Not interested in becoming car light or car free
2.49%
Voters: 1084. You may not vote on this poll

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-11, 05:16 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MaverickBanksy
24 years : ) i even managed to get a job where i cycle all day! Love it.
Welcome! It sounds like you'll have experience and wisdom to share with us.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-03-11, 07:48 PM
Ice Bites

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going on 9 years sans auto. Seriosly tho Roody, I spent 2 years in western Michigan and the first thing I thought was "well guess I won't be biking here!" Between the zero allowance for bike lanes then the abundance of roadkill, how do you do it?
Old 12-04-11, 05:15 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Cycocross
Going on 9 years sans auto. Seriosly tho Roody, I spent 2 years in western Michigan and the first thing I thought was "well guess I won't be biking here!" Between the zero allowance for bike lanes then the abundance of roadkill, how do you do it?
I guess we can soldier on because we're not aware that we have fewer bike lanes (or more dead animals) than any of the neighboring states.

But welcome to the forum! I see your another one who should have lots of experiences to share.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-08-11, 06:54 PM

Bikes: Old Schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got about 4 months of car free living under my belt and I'm pretty sure I'll be a lifer.

Oh, and cyclocross, I grew up in West Michigan (Hudsonville to be exact) and I didn't know a single adult that didn't own a car. So in that sense, bike commuting was impossible!
Old 12-09-11, 05:26 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by peddlenow
I've got about 4 months of car free living under my belt and I'm pretty sure I'll be a lifer.

Oh, and cyclocross, I grew up in West Michigan (Hudsonville to be exact) and I didn't know a single adult that didn't own a car. So in that sense, bike commuting was impossible!
I get over to Grand Rapids once in a while, and always see a few bike commuters. Of course I don't know if they own cars or not.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-21-11, 03:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im more car lite right now as Im going places wit my parents while in college during the summer otherwise car free the rest of the year.
Old 12-21-11, 05:05 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by harry2110
Im more car lite right now as Im going places wit my parents while in college during the summer otherwise car free the rest of the year.
Welcome, harry! I like your avatar picture.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-01-12, 05:08 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been car free for 6 years now and haven't thought twice about it!
Old 01-01-12, 05:30 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Scottswnsn
I've been car free for 6 years now and haven't thought twice about it!
Happy New Year and welcome!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-03-12, 01:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized 2008 Tarmac - Pro SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My family went down to one car for about a year - but my wife and three kids used it almost exclusively. We have a second car now, but I commute on my bike almost every day. (I drive the to work on Monday morning [with my work clothes] and leave it in our parking garage in case I need to go anywhere business-related.)
Old 01-08-12, 03:37 AM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't qualify as being 'car-free', I think. I never had a drivers license, driven a car. I will admit that, I battled to the state medical board to let me test for a drivers license. But by the time they gave me permission(two years later). I had changed my mind because of there being so many bad drivers on the road.

I feel 1000 times before not driving. Because I am doing the environment a tremendous favor.
Old 01-10-12, 07:10 AM

Bikes: Two hard tail MTBs and a road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am car light now for the past 3 months. When becoming unemployed (by choice) my insurance costs doubled so my car is now off road. I am getting around on public transport and borrowing my mother's car with occasional lift shares. I find public transport in the evening is poor and not regular.
I am blogging about my adventures at citytravelling.me.uk
Old 01-19-12, 12:38 PM

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Champione Del Mondo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Car free for 3 years now. Get the driving out of my system when I am on the fork lift at work! Love the commute on my bike except for those rare days I wake up to a flat and the scramble is on
Old 01-19-12, 01:11 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyBizzle
I am car light now for the past 3 months. When becoming unemployed (by choice) my insurance costs doubled so my car is now off road. I am getting around on public transport and borrowing my mother's car with occasional lift shares. I find public transport in the evening is poor and not regular.
I am blogging about my adventures at citytravelling.me.uk
Well that is as good a reason as any. My son lived car free in Leeds for a couple of years while he was going to the U over there, loved every minute of it. Now he lives car free in Boston, MA.

Originally Posted by Annalise
Car free for 3 years now. Get the driving out of my system when I am on the fork lift at work! Love the commute on my bike except for those rare days I wake up to a flat and the scramble is on
I keep a spare bike for those flat tire days...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-20-12, 05:21 PM

Bikes: Yuba Mundo (sold), Yuba Boda Boda (sold), now I ride a batavus Personal Delivery Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, Just a little introduction from me. I'm going car free for 12 months with my toddler. I'm very overweight and recently realized the only times in my life when I haven't been overweight are those when I was cycling a lot. I also realized that all the time my son doesn't see me involved in a lifestyle that includes exercise he is very likely to grow up leading the sedentary life he see's his Daddy and I leading. I gave up smoking the second I knew he existed before that I'd tried a hundred times to quit and had failed a 100 times...but Jack took away the option to fail. So now I'm giving up my SUV and if I do it for him then I'm taking away the option to fail, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

I'm really glad to have found these forums, great place to find support and people that have such immense knowledge of bikes, its awesome. If you want to hear more about my car less year you can visit my blog, the address is below, leave a comment if you want I love the comments, there are really inspiring people in the world!
Old 01-20-12, 07:33 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Youaintgotjack
Hello, Just a little introduction from me. I'm going car free for 12 months with my toddler. I'm very overweight and recently realized the only times in my life when I haven't been overweight are those when I was cycling a lot. I also realized that all the time my son doesn't see me involved in a lifestyle that includes exercise he is very likely to grow up leading the sedentary life he see's his Daddy and I leading. I gave up smoking the second I knew he existed before that I'd tried a hundred times to quit and had failed a 100 times...but Jack took away the option to fail. So now I'm giving up my SUV and if I do it for him then I'm taking away the option to fail, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

I'm really glad to have found these forums, great place to find support and people that have such immense knowledge of bikes, its awesome. If you want to hear more about my car less year you can visit my blog, the address is below, leave a comment if you want I love the comments, there are really inspiring people in the world!
Welcome! I especially love it when new people with kids and families come onto the forum. If you ever do feel discouraged, or can't figure out a carfree way to do something, feel free to start a new thread. I can practically guarantee that you'll get some emotional support and worthwhile suggestions.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-20-12, 08:53 PM

Bikes: Yuba Mundo (sold), Yuba Boda Boda (sold), now I ride a batavus Personal Delivery Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Welcome! I especially love it when new people with kids and families come onto the forum. If you ever do feel discouraged, or can't figure out a carfree way to do something, feel free to start a new thread. I can practically guarantee that you'll get some emotional support and worthwhile suggestions.

Thank You, Thank You - I can practically guarantee I'm going to NEED emotional support and worthwhile suggestions lol ! I'm happy to be here! Thank you!
Old 01-21-12, 01:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Youaintgotjack ! I hope you enjoy this very special section of the forums.
Old 01-21-12, 07:10 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Sounds like a worthy method of motivation to me!

Good luck and let us know if we can help...only thing I won't do is ride in your cold weather...too much of a wuss!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 01-21-12, 03:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeanSeb
Welcome Youaintgotjack ! I hope you enjoy this very special section of the forums.
thank you!!
Old 01-21-12, 03:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Sounds like a worthy method of motivation to me!

Good luck and let us know if we can help...only thing I won't do is ride in your cold weather...too much of a wuss!

Aaron
Here in the corner of SE Washington we have brutally hot summers (up to about 105f) and frigid winters (20f lately...sometimes negative 10ish) So I guess I shall get used to it
Old 01-21-12, 03:43 PM
Membership Not Required

Here in the corner of SE Washington we have brutally hot summers (up to about 105f) and frigid winters (20f lately...sometimes negative 10ish) So I guess I shall get used to it
I can do the 105...I live in the Deep South I just consider anything much below 50 too cold!

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 01-22-12, 12:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is my new ride for my car free year! panniers arrive next week. my son loves it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
its a bike!.jpg (97.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-22-12, 02:31 PM

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Champione Del Mondo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I can do the 105...I live in the Deep South I just consider anything much below 50 too cold!

Aaron
Eek!!! 105! Your a trooper. Where I am living now folks are dying when the temperature is higher than 70!
Old 01-22-12, 04:02 PM
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by Annalise
Eek!!! 105! Your a trooper. Where I am living now folks are dying when the temperature is higher than 70!
Acclimation!

I have lived a good portion of my life in the Deep South and have almost always worked out of doors. I was in Denver, CO back in 2009 during the July Heat Wave
It was 85* with humidity around 30%...I was wearing long sleeved T-shirts People thought I was nuts.

When the temps are below 40* I am dragging out the long johns and parkas.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.