Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there a brand of bicycle that is so "uncool" to you, that you don't consider them?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is there a brand of bicycle that is so "uncool" to you, that you don't consider them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-16, 03:56 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
It's not that I think Treks are bad bikes because they're not, but I would never buy one. They're everywhere and they all look alike.

Two weeks ago, I did a cross state ride where our bikes were transported to the east coast in a moving van. As they unloaded the bikes, they would call out the bike brand and color. When they called out any of the Treks, at least 5 to 10 people would come over to see if it was theirs. Out of 62 bikes, mine was the only Colnago. Also, if a Trek is stolen, the chances of you getting back your blue and white Trek (or any other color combination) is going to be pretty darn close to zero if you live in a large enough city. It's going to be nearly impossible to find your blue and white Trek among the hundreds of blue and white Treks that are out there.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-12-16, 05:05 AM

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by jamisFan
Specialized. I just don't like their "let's sue everyone" hobby.
Agree , as pinarello for me.
I hate becouse they become "common"
Old 11-12-16, 07:03 AM
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've seen 40 years of cool and uncool bicycles.
In the 70s (the word uncool originated), everything had to be Euro, and anything Japanese was the only thing worse than Schwinn (excepting Paramount).
In the 80s, Fuji to Nishiki came into their own.
In the 90s, it was all American.
In the new millennium, frames changed shape and became billboards.
Not made in China is still cool to me.

A Cervelo P5 was being built up when I was at my LBS yesterday.
Will admit if I had $10k to spend on a bike, I'd spend it differently. But I did like the front brake faring.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 11-12-16 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-12-16, 07:38 AM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Anything Bontrager... I probably didn't spell it right, I don't say it right, so I'm not going to ask for it either.
Old 11-12-16, 08:46 AM

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Surly, Salsa, and not a fan of Lynsey either. I do not care what others ride. I just mentally block some brands.
Old 11-12-16, 08:56 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Surly, Salsa, and not a fan of Lynsey either. I do not care what others ride. I just mentally block some brands.
What is it about those brands you don't like?
Old 11-12-16, 09:03 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Neither of those brands you listed are common, but all three of them are known for quality, so why the hate?
Old 11-13-16, 09:13 AM

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
It seems you're using a pretty extreme word to summarize my statement and opinion. I don't "hate" any brand and Surly is pretty unique when it comes to being a bit cutting edge with certain types of bikes. I never found Surly and Salsa to be very good quality...they seem cheaply made though perfectly functional. Now Lynsey is a bit different. I know of some misaligned frames that my friends bought, but they were MTB frames (two were custom 29ers) and a few years ago. When I was looking at a road frame, the sales pressure was also quite intense and it overshadowed any discussion of tire clearance, custom head sizing, etc. I realize they are relatively inexpensive for Ti frames but I now have a bias against them and would rather pay more for a Moots, Seven, Mosaic, Potts, and others. To my Lynsey is like Chinese carbon...almost. Here the thing though- when I see some one riding one of them, I don't judge or look down upon them. They often looks really nice and if a rider likes his/her bike, I'm happy for them. I'll compliment them if I like something about it. I Would just rather pay more and get something else. I don't dislike common brands. In my experience, they make some phenomenal bikes. It won be nice to buy something a bit uncommon and unique. That really nice Ti bike may still be in my future.

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Neither of those brands you listed are common, but all three of them are known for quality, so why the hate?
Old 11-13-16, 02:51 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

I ride a Lynskey and I can't tell it from a Moots, Seven, or a Serotta, I haven't seen the other two you mentioned. There are some finish differences like the Moot uses a very ugly muted gray look that is so ugly I wouldn't buy it if it were the only TI bike made on earth! Of course that's my opinion. But the Moots (other than the gray look) Serotta, Seven, Lynskey, and Motobecane (the cheapest TI bike on the market) all look very well made with very similar welds. But even those top name companies, like Seven, have all had cracks in the frames. so pay more if you want but you still get failures.

I like my Lynskey Peloton which is no longer made but was the lowest priced model they had, it's comfortable to ride yet stiff enough for my old legs to hammer and not flex the frame. I did make a few changes at the time of purchase to take advantage of swap pricing from Adrenalin Bikes, I wasn't real sure about the quality of the Lynskey CF fork so I got the Enve 2.0 instead, upgraded the rear derailleur from 105 to Ultegra, the cables to DA9000, the headset from some cheap FSA job to Cane Creek 110, and the wheels (which didn't cost anything different) from the blackish Shimano RS500 to the Silver Shimano R501 which had a slightly deeper dish to it than the black one. I was able to compare my bike with a Motobecane and Serotta, there were some differences, the Serotta has the swayed rear stays which does give some added comfort to the ride but the fork did not inspire confidence, seemed to not track well around corners. The Motobecane, which I thought was a better bike than the Serotta! seemed more stable in the rear, but again issues with the fork which the owner changed to an ENVE 2.0 after riding mine several times, I have ridden it once since he's made the change and that bike rides very well now with excellent tracking. The Motobecane with that one change I felt placed the bike in a solid lead against the much more expensive Serotta and darn near the level of my Lynskey, and in some aspects better than my Lynskey as far as components go because he got the model with Dura Ace, which also makes it a better deal than my Lynskey, and a far better deal than the Serotta (which is no longer in business). After 3 season the Peloton is still going strong, but 3 years is not a real test for any bike except maybe a Walmart bike, if it lasts me for30 plus years like my old Trek 660 has then that will be a true testiment of how good the bike is.

Keep in mind that Lynskey is not some come along lately jackass TI builder, he's been making ti bikes for a very long time and create Litespeed, which Lance Armstrong raced on one in the 99 TDF just to mention one, there were others. Bianchi and Eddy Merckx had their TI bikes built by Litespeed/Lynskey. Lynskey was a consultant for NASA for several titanium projects due to his expertise in TI fabrication that could not be found from anyone else! And the same technology and fabrication that went into the NASA programs are the same technology and fabrication that goes into the bikes that Lynskey makes. I know you can't beat the price of any Lynskey bike against any other made in America TI bike, of course Motobecane beats the price, but that bike is more comparable to a low end Lynskey that Moto threw on high end parts. Lynskey innovated some sort of process for TI bikes that is now being used by everyone in the US, I can't recall what that innovation was called because Litespeed removed it from their website probably because it wasn't the innovation that the current owners of Litespeed created and for awhile after Lynskey sold Litespeed, Litespeed was taking credit for it and not giving the credit to Lynskey to whom it was deserved.
Old 11-13-16, 07:36 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardrock23
On the name alone? Giant, Globe, and Electra. There are a couple others Iv seen and really not liked the name, but its too early in the morning for me to remember lol. I would still ride a Giant though, some of them. It just doesnt seem like a good bike name. I didnt know it was at first when i was looking through CL a couple years ago - i thought people were saying it was "a giant" bike lol It reminds me of the grocery store too, so...

Id never consider a Schwinn of today or really, past the very early 90's. I dont even really like the name...but i love my 87 Prelude, and the other 80s Schwinn road bikes. They are amazing bikes. I can understand why some might over look them though, and I surely would have had I not gotten the chance to see one in person and ride it.

Mr. Ignaz Schwinn would be dismayed, were he still with us after 156 years. So would Adolf Arnold, his business partner, both good Germans who came to America and started the most iconic bike company in our history in 1895.
Old 11-13-16, 07:43 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Nice achievement!

But that doesn't really say anything to counter my points.

Hell, I rode a heavy Pugsley on the Almanzo 100 (and loved it). My friend did a fun-raiser riding a Nice Ride (bike rental) for 150-mile day.... in flip-flops!?!

I'm guessing your $100 Magna has a lot more money into it after 8,000 miles and 14 year. Did you really save money? ... possibly.

But to the point of this thread, I will not buy a big-box bikes, it's just not my jam.

If you buy any vehicle you are going to spend more money than it cost by far, and that's because you had to maintain it.

Use this analogy: The investment in having a child is extremely cheap compared to raising them. You don't need my embellishment to figure that out.
Old 11-13-16, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mongoose. As well as newer schwinns. Older schwinns are still fine of course.
Old 11-13-16, 09:03 PM

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Bikes direct/ Quality and stigma.
Old 11-14-16, 06:39 AM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Just about every brand's models in the last ten years. This is because they have ugly, black bulges where elegant and understated simplicity should be at-works.
I am not saying I would not ride a bike with brifters, but I would immediately come at them with a Sawz-All, and make a diagonal cut so that the levers are removed and about half of the body. There. That oughta do it for the time-being. Meanwhile, I'll order a set of these to replace them, and nervously await their arrival:

Last edited by 1989Pre; 05-05-18 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-14-16, 07:37 AM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
@rekmeyata, Don't confuse cool and value. They're not the same thing. In fact they are usually opposites. A big part of being cool is being difficult to obtain. The Lynskey brand took a massive decline in coolness when they started distributing through Nashbar at huge discounts.
Old 11-14-16, 08:12 AM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
If you buy any vehicle you are going to spend more money than it cost by far, and that's because you had to maintain it.
Use this analogy: The investment in having a child is extremely cheap compared to raising them. You don't need my embellishment to figure that out.
I understand your point, trust me, I have two bikes that I got for no cost and I've put more money into these two bikes than the bikes I've purchased.

However, I will repeat the point of this thread: big-box bikes are 'uncool' to me. Part of my justification is the cost, design, weight, and quality of the components; lastly, I am a snob.

Let's be clear, I know people will find my bikes too uncool for them, I've had it said directly to me... OK whatever

I will not judge you (or other riders) for riding a big-box bikes, if the big-box bike fits your needs/wants, enjoy!
Old 11-14-16, 12:05 PM
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Lol yes thats like what I hear in the boat/marine industry. I do tradeshows and I am always asked..."did i get a good price for my boat??" the answer I give is. ....Yea but that isnt nothing compared to what your going to spend once its in the h20 lol....Ohhhh how true this is for any recreational toy.....

Ive noticed a commonality when it comes to debates between bso and lbs quality, price etc and yes that spills onto "coolness" as well.

People should not think that just because you did not go to a lbs and just because you spent less that 12K does not mean you cannot have fun with your bike....I know people who have very expensive bikes....and they break just like the cheap ones do...And if you look at who is riding what it becomes very clear to me that quality is not a fix for mechanical breakdowns....

That being said the more I read these threads the more I love my cheap walmart bike...Lol almost 3 years now, 400 plus miles, no breakdowns, I pretty much ride every day except Winter time. Yes I am currently researching my next Bike purchase. Yes it will not be a bso bike. Yes I will spend more money, and yes ....Giant just got dumped from contention lol...

My point to my babble above....Who cares! buy your bike, ride it and enjoy it. Because If quality, the latest tech, Stabilization, weight, the big full moon last night.....all that stuff is the only way you can enjoy the ride......Your missing a lot more....

And besides lol. I think...my bso bike....looks pretty damn cool. lol...And so do other people I get comments on it all the time....She has served me very well...For the 89 bucks I paid(Which is pretty cool).....Its actually performed so well it has given me time to save money to buy the LBS...lol....bike lol......(Which is pretty cool).

Last edited by EnjoyinTheRide; 11-14-16 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-14-16, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by kingston
@rekmeyata, Don't confuse cool and value. They're not the same thing. In fact they are usually opposites. A big part of being cool is being difficult to obtain. The Lynskey brand took a massive decline in coolness when they started distributing through Nashbar at huge discounts.
I'm not sure why Lynskey decided to sell through Nashbar, that just seemed odd to me too, but they probably were struggling for sales and needed a big boost to stay in business. These sort of marketing plans usually only last 5 years or so then the company pulls out, I remember Gio bikes being sold through Competitive Cyclist as was Tommassini, but both Nashbar and Performance are on an upgrade path to bring about better products, even their own brand jerseys and shorts are now ranked very high with far better quality then they use to be, so I think by offering Lynskey it gives Nashbar a route that they want to go in the cycling world. So it could be a win for Lynskey and win for Nashbar. Years ago Competitive Cyclist carried the same sort of low to mid end level stuff like Nashbar and Performance does today, when they introduced Gio and Tommassini those two bike companies marked a change in the kind of stuff that they carried to the point in the past few years they represent mid to high end stuff which is where the real money is at and Nashbar and Performance are also realizing the same fact.
Old 11-14-16, 07:32 PM

I just think if you're riding a bike regularly, be it any bike, that in itself is cool.
Old 11-15-16, 08:17 AM
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I just think if you're riding a bike regularly, be it any bike, that in itself is cool.
I like this line of thinking. The person on the X-Mart Mongoose who is riding nearly every day is cooler than the guy who hasn't ridden in eons but brags about his Cologno in the basement with a thick layer of dust on it.
Old 11-19-16, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No.

In fact, when I lived in SoCal, I put cheap-bike stickers on my good built-up bikes, having discovered that most thieves didn't have a clue what COMPONENTS were good.
Old 11-20-16, 12:25 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry, I look at bikes as tools. Some are for competition, some for transportation, some for fitness.

No 'coolness' factor in my considerations. I do find some bikes look better than others but I would never buy a road bike to commute because it looked 'cooler'. There's something about that notion that's not cool.

While some here have looked down their nose at Trek I find the reasons to be odd. I have a Madone 5.2. the paintwork is not great but the carbon is very good. The Shimano Ultegra components have been very reliable, as are the wheels.

Frankly, I don't see where the company has done anything that would stop me from buying their products and if other riders thought my bike was too 'common', I'd laugh at them.

As I have laughed at some of the posters to this thread for snobbish remarks.

If in Europe I can understand bike culture is different but here in America, in many places, an adult riding a bicycle is about as 'uncool' as it gets.
Old 11-20-16, 03:58 AM

Bikes: Specialized Hybrid

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Is there a brand of bicycle that is so "uncool" to you, that you don't consider them?"

Brand? No, not really. Just no pink bikes with Hello Kitty on it! Too old for that! Seriously, as long as a bike fits me properly and is safe, I don't care about brand. I didn't always think that way, though.
Old 11-20-16, 04:31 AM

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have always been so not trendy. In high school in the 70s I refused to wear blue jeans!

I would never be seen on an "All-City". It is dumb name and is too hipster for my taste. Treks are four letter bikes. Not mentioned in polite company!

I will never be seen on a singlespeed or a fixie. Again too hipster, trendy and I love me my gears!

Of course many people with late model expensive bikes just chuckle when I show up for a ride with my Raleigh Technium or one of the Kabuki mutants I have built.

Anyone who can ride well and show up and have fun is cool and what they ride is unimportant in the end.
Old 11-20-16, 08:14 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 1998 GT Avalanche, Zunow Z-1, 1985/86 Gitane Professional, 1980 Raleigh Team, 1980 Apollo Gran Tour, 1937 Durkopp road racer

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by modelmartin
I will never be seen on a singlespeed or a fixie. Again too hipster, trendy and I love me my gears!
Trendy? They've only been around for over a century. I guess back then you'd be the cool guy watching "hipsters" pass by atop of your horse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.