Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who's ready for another long cold miserable winter?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 11:29 AM

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

According to the Old Farmers Almanac this coming winter is gonna be even colder and longer then last years. Lucky for me I live in California and own a car.
But I feel for you brave souls who live car free and debend on your ride to get around. Actually I feel sorry for anyone who lays in the paths of the coming Polar Vortexes. For them it's going to be a very long bitter winter. Godspeed.
Old 09-05-14, 01:15 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Corben
According to the Old Farmers Almanac this coming winter is gonna be even colder and longer then last years. Lucky for me I live in California and own a car.
But I feel for you brave souls who live car free and debend on your ride to get around. Actually I feel sorry for anyone who lays in the paths of the coming Polar Vortexes. For them it's going to be a very long bitter winter. Godspeed.
I rode it out last year with just my road bike. This year I'm getting my faired bike into shape, which is much easier in the bitter cold. I was hoping for a milder winter, but like the Almanac I'm expecting the worst.
Old 09-06-14, 01:48 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to go touring this winter to take advantage of time when cowards and dolts stay inside because they don't want to wear more clothes.
Old 09-07-14, 01:35 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 228 Posts
And then there are some who welcome winter riding since its far less technical than actual mountain biking and also a lot safer. I just wish we'd have more trails but I think I'll manage with the ones we have. And winter is the time for skiing which is also awesome! And you can wear fantastic clothes (lets face it, winter clothes just look much better than summer clothes)
Old 09-07-14, 05:15 AM

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I welcome the cooler weather but I don't want to have to get tights.
Old 09-07-14, 06:31 AM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
According to the Old Farmers Almanac this coming winter is gonna be even colder and longer then last years.
Farmers Almanac is just as accurate as your daily horoscope...I am up in Canada so I know all about harsh cold winters, I am also car-free and I bike all year round. Last years winter was brutal. I am ready.
Old 09-07-14, 01:54 PM

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hoping for a number of blizzards here!
Old 09-07-14, 02:12 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Californians complaining about the "winter" -- that's always rich.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-07-14, 03:59 PM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
It can snow all it wants, I just don't want it to be as cold or windy as it was last winter. Actually cold isn't so bad on its own, just not cold and windy at the same time.
Old 09-07-14, 06:25 PM

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid/2009 Fuji Newest 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't put a lot of stock in farmers or meteorologists' ability to predict the weather. They are only like 25% accurate 3-5 days out, let alone months ahead of time. How many times have they predicted record hurricane years since Katrina? Hasn't happened.
Old 09-07-14, 06:31 PM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by chriskmurray
Hoping for a number of blizzards here!
Same here, biting my nails for another Polar Vortex! Finally, winters get decent again.
Old 09-07-14, 07:01 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Happily, spring started last week.

And if any of you wintery northern hemisphere folk want a break from your long cold miserable winter ... summer starts on Dec 1 over here.
Old 09-07-14, 08:17 PM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Three sub-freezing overnight lows forecast for this week. Going to have to cover the cucumbers.
Old 09-07-14, 10:07 PM
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I'm not ready... mentally; but only insofar as the snowbirds are concerned -- wintery weather (such as it is, down here, is welcome). That is, the volume of South Florida traffic will increase dramatically, as will the proportion of nearly-blind and vertically-challenged drivers. I shall wear even brighter, higher-visibility clothing (as if that's possible). It's "Hill Street Blues", all over again: Be careful, out there.
Old 09-07-14, 11:12 PM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by JBHoren
That is, the volume of South Florida traffic will increase dramatically, as will the proportion of nearly-blind and vertically-challenged drivers. I shall wear even brighter, higher-visibility clothing (as if that's possible). It's "Hill Street Blues", all over again: Be careful, out there.
Interestingly, here the days of particularly challenging weather are specially quiet. Those who can afford not driving stay away from the roads and those who drive are extra cautious, making it comfortable for cyclists. On the other hand, an average winter day tends to be so-so, with cars wobbling and inexperienced drivers often failing to adjust their driving to the combination of their skills and circumstances. The latter is particularly true in the early days of the season.
Old 09-07-14, 11:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, I live in Florida; therefore I welcome the winter I actually ride less during the summer due to the extreme heat.
Old 09-08-14, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The long cold miserable winter just started here in Calgary. We had + 27 C (80 F) and sunshine here yesterday, but right now I am staring at 5 inches of snow on my back deck. Uggh. Not the most pleasant bike commute to work today, but on the upside, probably WAAAYYYYY better than all those people driving their cars in this mess!
Old 09-08-14, 06:43 PM
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Bring it, Winter! Last year was my first winter back in the Upper Midwest in over a decade, and it was a nice welcome home present!

I honestly don't mind "bad" winter weather. It's kind of fun to dress up like an alpine explorer just to get to work or go get groceries. My main complaint about winter is that it's still too HOT at work...
Old 09-09-14, 12:35 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live in Michigan, I actually like riding in the winter, I feel empowered, strong and young(I am 61).

I doubt if it will be as bad as last year, but if it is, I will ride when ever I can. It is ok to ride when very cold, it is ok to ride when snowing, but if it is really cold with snow on the streets, it is almost impossible.
Old 09-11-14, 06:49 PM

Bikes: General 80's MTB "Icebreaker", Motobecane Grand Jubilee (vintage mint), Trek 1.1, 2014 Motobecane Mirage (steel) Trek 3500 MTB

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking forward to trying the new studded tires. The dressing up and dressing down is somewhat of a pain. I really don't like getting grime on the bike. Quiet Winter mornings when everything is still are pretty nice.

Winter, a mixed bag, but I'll take it on again.

Edit: The best part is not having to scrape the windshield. Or is it watching others scrape theirs?

Last edited by Motolegs; 09-11-14 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-11-14, 06:58 PM

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Two words. Fat. Bike.
Old 09-12-14, 03:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Already have snow on the ground in some parts of Montana.
I'm ready for it.
Old 09-12-14, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I'm pretty accepting and tolerant of winter, except for the increased time to dress. I'm actually looking forward to plowing and gently slip-sliding on studded tires in new-fallen snow (but not on a road bike with skinny tires as depicted below).

Boston is known world-wide for its Winter Cycling :-)

Sroga zima parali?uje ameryka?skie miasta

Originally Posted by Motolegs
Looking forward to trying the new studded tires. The dressing up and dressing down is somewhat of a pain. I really don't like getting grime on the bike. Quiet Winter mornings when everything is still are pretty nice.

Winter, a mixed bag, but I'll take it on again.

Edit: The best part is not having to scrape the windshield. Or is it watching others scrape theirs?
+1 to all the above. My pristine carbon fiber bike goes into hibernation from mid-December to April, and I ride the heavy mountain bike.

When cagers rib me about winter riding, I tell them it’s more tolerable to get right on the bike and ride, than to sit in a cold car until it warms up (beyond the scraping and shoveling of the car). And I look forward to that perennial winter commuting question, "You didn't ride your bike today, did you?."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Boston Winter.jpg (31.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg
Boston pollish cycling.jpg (5.1 KB, 282 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-12-14 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-12-14, 09:01 AM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
CA ha,ha. How's that drought going, or earthquake or wildfire? Wait, what about those landslides. Here in the Boston MA area, we like the 4 seasons. As opposed to dry or winter rain. I feel sorry for you. We have fat bikes, studded tires, fleece and wool. And a big glass of HTFU. Plus post ride bourbon.

Last edited by Leebo; 09-12-14 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-12-14, 12:49 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
around this time of year i start thinking about xc skiing

and people might start to think I am losing my marbles
because when I walk
whenever I think about it
i exaggerate the backward movement of my legs
until i feel my hip flexors stretching
to get my legs ready for kick and glide

also this year
i am going to figure out a good way to carry skis with my bike
possibly using my old chariot trailer
as the ski trails are just a few blocks away
and i dislike walking in my ski boots
even more than i dislike walking in my cycling shoes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.