Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ruler and Chain Checker are Diverging

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ruler and Chain Checker are Diverging

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-23, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Pin wear and any roller wear (which is vanishingly small) are combined in any measurement you make on a chain. I will not say that chain checkers are more accurate or measure roller wear over the rule method. The amount of wear measured with both methods is the same and either method can be used. I find the chain checker to be quicker to use with the same result. If you think differently it is up to you to demonstrate how the measurements can be disconnected.

Again, my main objection to the rule method is the use of a 12” rule and the estimation of the 1/16” wear while simultaneously claiming that the rule method is “more accurate”. Get a 13” rule and I’d have zero problems with the method. I still don’t think it is more accurate than a chain checker.
Or get a "11" rule" .. Its really silly estimating outside the scale when can just use 11" or 11.5" as the reference length. (pin to pin distance in any bike chain is 0.5").
Old 03-16-23, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Again bringing up the Campagnolo hard recommendation, just as a quality chain checker takes in any roller wear the Campagnolo measurement will as it measure roller to roller on a vernier caliper.
That has nothing to do with the post you quoted.
Old 03-16-23, 09:32 PM

SRAM says to replace at 0.8% without specifying cassette speeds. KMC says to replace the chain between 0.75% and 1%, again, without specifying speeds. I can’t find anything from Shimano. Park Tool says to replace 10 speed and below at 0.75% and 11 speed and above at 0.5%. Pick your poison.

The rule method, by the way, replaces chains at 0.5%. 0.75% would be 3/32” and 1% would be a full 1/8”.

11 speed and above chains are thinner with regards to overall width. Perhaps the thinking is to replace them at 0.5% since the pressure on the pin is greater.
Sure. Its all over the place and opaque what the percentages is in reference to. Some toole even uses mm rather than %. Thus I made up my own campy like system, but with significant more allowance for wear, as mentioned in an earlier post. Ive been meaning to get a shimano chain checker to see what they consider "worn out" but so far I haven't. If anyone has one (or any other brand) and a digital calliper id be interested in the go/no go dimensions of such tools. I'm betting they too are all over the place.
Old 03-16-23, 10:19 PM

If a chain checker's instructions say that the chain should be replaced at .5%, that doesn't mean the chain should be replaced when a ruler shows .5% elongation. They measure different things.
Old 03-17-23, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by easyupbug
Very interesting. When I get back in town I measure a few new chains as I can not imagine they would vary from your figures and report back.

Sure. Please do that

I have measured new Shimano, KMC and a YBN 10s chains. They were all close to 132.25 mm when measured as suggested by campy.

Taken at face value and assuming 132.6 mm is representing 0.5% wear. A new chain should measure ~131.94 mm. However they dont. I suspect the engineer calculating the numbers forgot to account for slop in the rollers that adds at least a few tenth of a mm. That, or a campy chain has bigger rollers than shimano and the rest of them. I dunno?

No matter, I have found the campy method doesnt work well with shimano or other generic chains. A lot more wear is tolerable than tossing the chain at 132.6 mm.
Old 03-17-23, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kontact
Chain checker trumps a ruler. You're attempting to avoid wearing out your sprockets, and sprockets run on the rollers the checker measures, not the pins a ruler measures.

And this is what that looks like when there is no pin stretch (ruler) but roller wear:
Is it? Im not convinced.

Shimano, SRAM, Park and others all have chain gauges that are designed to exclude roller wear. Seem to indicate roller wear is not significant and including it may in fact hinder measuring the the relevant wear component.
Old 03-17-23, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
It is fast and NOT accurate. Mine hangs on the wall and hasn't been used in decades. The Pedro's and the high-priced Shimano are accurate.
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Link me the Shimano version and tell me how it's better.
Originally Posted by davidad
actually, I can't find a site showing the old shimano checker, but it looks loke the Pedoe's and the newest Park tool model. They are more accurate because they eliminate the roller play and measure the pin center lines.
I'm not gonna let you off that easy; you made an absolute statement and I'm telling you to prove it. Post a pic of the tool you say is far more accurate and tell me why it is. You were pretty confident, so it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Last edited by nomadmax; 03-17-23 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-17-23, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Is it? Im not convinced.

Shimano, SRAM, Park and others all have chain gauges that are designed to exclude roller wear. Seem to indicate roller wear is not significant and including it may in fact hinder measuring the the relevant wear component.
Like this?

Or this?

How do these checkers, which engage only the rollers, fail to measure the roller wear along with pin wear?
Old 03-17-23, 07:03 AM

Yes, like that.

They measure elongation with the rollers pushed in the same direction, where older model gauges pushed rollers in opposite directions, thus adding roller wear to the measurement. Im not aware if this was attempted taken into account or not.

Funny how the SRAM gauge allows for up to 0.8% true elongation, 60% more wear than the oft cited 0.5%.
Old 03-17-23, 07:16 AM

Yes, like that.

They measure elongation with the rollers pushed in the same direction, where older model gauges pushed rollers in opposite directions, thus adding roller wear to the measurement. Im not aware if this was attempted taken into account or not.

Funny how the SRAM gauge allows for up to 0.8% true elongation, 60% more wear than the oft cited 0.5%.
Manufacturers recommendations and Park's recommendations may have always been different. Car manuals have never actually recommended 3000 mile oil changes, either.

You are right that the pins get pushed the same way, subtracting the roller wear. I wonder if they consider that more accurate, or if they are bowing to public opinion that rollers shouldn't be checked after decades of doing exactly that.
Old 03-17-23, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I'm not gonna let you off that easy; you made an absolute statement and I'm telling you to prove it. Post a pic of the tool you say is far more accurate and tell me why it is. You were pretty confident, so it shouldn't be too much trouble.
A 5mm hex key used as a go/no go gauge. Hang a new chain against your used chain. More than 4mm and I bin the chain.

The reason is better resolution. By far.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-17-23, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
A 5mm hex key used as a go/no go gauge. Hang a new chain against your used chain. More than 4mm and I bin the chain.

The reason is better resolution. By far.
No doubt about it, there are a few ways to get the job done. He made a statement of fact (according to him) and I want him to explain it.
Old 03-17-23, 07:47 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Manufacturers recommendations and Park's recommendations may have always been different. Car manuals have never actually recommended 3000 mile oil changes, either.
Say wut? I've driven cars whose manuals recommended changing the oil at 3000 miles (blanket recommendation) and later cars that recommended a 3000 mile interval for cars driven in stop and go traffic.

You are right that the pins get pushed the same way, subtracting the roller wear. I wonder if they consider that more accurate, or if they are bowing to public opinion that rollers shouldn't be checked after decades of doing exactly that.
Somebody help me with the math here. The way I see it, you compress two links' rollers, and subtract that from four links' rollers, and the net roller wear is zero? I'd have expected you're only getting two links' roller wear instead of six.
Old 03-17-23, 07:57 AM

No doubt about it, there are a few ways to get the job done. He made a statement of fact (according to him) and I want him to explain it.
He can copy my answer. LOL. A 5mm hex key is a tool. (my limit of 0.4% is conservative but that is for a reason)
Old 03-17-23, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Hare is a pic of the Pedro's version. Park makes one like it. One more time, it eliminates the roller from the measurement.
Pedro's Chain Checker Plus II | Jenson USA
Old 03-17-23, 09:56 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
The rollers have zero influence on how elongated the chain gets from pin and link wear and absolutely will not show up if you measure the chain with a ruler. Pin to pin distance is entirely a measure of how the inner links and pins contact each other. Having a ring around the two won't change that.
I do agree with you but have to ask why are you making such a big deal about roller wear? Measuring with a rule or measuring with a chain checking tool gives the same result so the measurement is equivalent and we don’t need to know anything about roller wear. There’s no need to even be concerned about it…if it even happens. It. Will. Make. No. Difference.

The looseness of the rollers will cause wear on the cogs but that looseness is related to the pin wear so if we measure pin wear, we end up in the same place with regards to the need to replace the chain. Again, there is no reason to be concerned about the what little (if any) roller wear occurs. It’s a nonissue.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 03-17-23 at 10:00 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-17-23, 10:10 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Sure. It’s all over the place and opaque what the percentages is in reference to. Some toole even uses mm rather than %. Thus I made up my own campy like system, but with significant more allowance for wear, as mentioned in an earlier post. Ive been meaning to get a shimano chain checker to see what they consider "worn out" but so far I haven't. If anyone has one (or any other brand) and a digital calliper id be interested in the go/no go dimensions of such tools. I'm betting they too are all over the place.
The recommendations are all over the place because wear is a range rather than a hard value. It’s not like you are supposed to change your chain at 3247.3 miles, no more, no less. The whole “rule method is more accurate” argument is kind of silly since there isn’t a given value for chain wear. We replace chains when we get to about 0.75% (0.094” elongation over 12” or 3/32”) to prevent wear of the cassette and, to a lesser degree, the chainwheels. And that’s only for derailer bikes. Single speed or IGH chains can go for many more miles because they aren’t being shoved from side-to-side regularly.

The rule method folks always point out the horror stories of people showing a worn out new chain to hammer home their point that their method is “better”. I would hazard that the vast majority of those kinds of measurements are user error.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-17-23, 06:40 PM

I do agree with you but have to ask why are you making such a big deal about roller wear? Measuring with a rule or measuring with a chain checking tool gives the same result so the measurement is equivalent and we don’t need to know anything about roller wear. There’s no need to even be concerned about it…if it even happens. It. Will. Make. No. Difference.

The looseness of the rollers will cause wear on the cogs but that looseness is related to the pin wear so if we measure pin wear, we end up in the same place with regards to the need to replace the chain. Again, there is no reason to be concerned about the what little (if any) roller wear occurs. It’s a nonissue.
The standard chain check tools like the CC 3.2 take the pin wear and add the wear of the the two rollers. That will give a different distance than measuring the pins alone if the rollers have wear.

If the rollers have wear, that wear directly impacts chain pitch when wrapped around a sprocket.

Elongated chain pitch is what wears out sprockets prematurely.

If you want to know what the chain has for actual on-sprocket chain pitch, you can't ignore the other source of elongation: The rollers.

You can't measure roller wear by measuring the pins alone.

That is the last time I'm going to explain that to you. The fact that seemingly flip flop between understanding and not understanding what a ruler measures makes communicating with you too frustrating.
Old 03-17-23, 07:33 PM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
The standard chain check tools like the CC 3.2 take the pin wear and add the wear of the the two rollers. That will give a different distance than measuring the pins alone if the rollers have wear.

If the rollers have wear, that wear directly impacts chain pitch when wrapped around a sprocket.

Elongated chain pitch is what wears out sprockets prematurely.

If you want to know what the chain has for actual on-sprocket chain pitch, you can't ignore the other source of elongation: The rollers.

You can't measure roller wear by measuring the pins alone.

That is the last time I'm going to explain that to you. The fact that seemingly flip flop between understanding and not understanding what a ruler measures makes communicating with you too frustrating.
No wonder you were banned from the General subforum.
Old 03-17-23, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lombard
No wonder you were banned from the General subforum.
Yeah, why can't I be polite and friendly like you?

I participate in all sorts of forums about all sorts of topics. This particular one is full of interesting problems that I love; but also aggressive, dismissive, passive aggressive and insulting people who seem to hate nothing more than someone who actually knows what they are talking about. It is mind numbing how hard it is to have to explain, explain and re-explain even the most basic geometrical concepts to other adults who think I'm being ridiculous for suggesting that bikes work the way they actually do.

Instead, I should be like the typical person I end up dealing with post after post - someone who doesn't seem to ever suggest an actual solution to anything, doubts and dismisses everything and takes personal swipes at anyone actually useful to make themselves feel better for being little more than an aggressive doofus. I don't know why that's the way it rolls here and other bike forums, but maybe you just don't have to be very smart to pedal a bike or type on a keyboard.

I love my writing forum. Everyone is smart and the doofuses get banned sooner rather than later. People actually like it when someone has knowledge or ideas.
Old 03-18-23, 01:02 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts

I participate in all sorts of forums about all sorts of topics. This particular one is full of interesting problems that I love; but also aggressive, dismissive, passive aggressive and insulting people who seem to hate nothing more than someone who actually knows what they are talking about. It is mind numbing how hard it is to have to explain, explain and re-explain even the most basic geometrical concepts to other adults who think I'm being ridiculous for suggesting that bikes work the way they actually do.

Instead, I should be like the typical person I end up dealing with post after post - someone who doesn't seem to ever suggest an actual solution to anything, doubts and dismisses everything and takes personal swipes at anyone actually useful to make themselves feel better for being little more than an aggressive doofus. I don't know why that's the way it rolls here and other bike forums, but maybe you just don't have to be very smart to pedal a bike or type on a keyboard.

I love my writing forum. Everyone is smart and the doofuses get banned sooner rather than later. People actually like it when someone has knowledge or ideas.
I'd think you were being ironic if I didn't know better.

The problem with you is that you never stop to consider that you might in fact be wrong. In pretty much every topic you have a rigid (and often quite simplified) opinion of how this or that particular thing works and that opinion is then dogma, the pinnacle of science (even with no evidence) and the ultimate truth. All other possibilities are simply false and not worth even considering.

I see that a lot in my profession. The strange thing is that people don't learn even when they are shown to be wrong in the most definite possible terms.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 03-18-23, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by elcruxio
I'd think you were being ironic if I didn't know better.

The problem with you is that you never stop to consider that you might in fact be wrong. In pretty much every topic you have a rigid (and often quite simplified) opinion of how this or that particular thing works and that opinion is then dogma, the pinnacle of science (even with no evidence) and the ultimate truth. All other possibilities are simply false and not worth even considering.

I see that a lot in my profession. The strange thing is that people don't learn even when they are shown to be wrong in the most definite possible terms.
Actually, I don't have any rigid beliefs. What I have is a consistent attempt to explain my POV to people that seem to refuse to even understand what I'm talking about to disagree or not.

We can have a debate about whether roller wear is a factor in cog wear, and I am entirely open to being shown to be wrong. Just as I admitted a few posts ago that the new Park tool removes the rollers from the measure. But we can't have a conversation about the topic of roller wear if people don't understand where the parts of the chain are. And that stuff ends up being half the posts.

It is tough having an engineering conversation mixed with remedial topology. Especially when the people that really don't get it are insulting.
Old 03-18-23, 02:33 AM

The recommendations are all over the place because wear is a range rather than a hard value. It’s not like you are supposed to change your chain at 3247.3 miles, no more, no less. The whole “rule method is more accurate” argument is kind of silly since there isn’t a given value for chain wear. We replace chains when we get to about 0.75% (0.094” elongation over 12” or 3/32”) to prevent wear of the cassette and, to a lesser degree, the chainwheels. And that’s only for derailer bikes. Single speed or IGH chains can go for many more miles because they aren’t being shoved from side-to-side regularly.

The rule method folks always point out the horror stories of people showing a worn out new chain to hammer home their point that their method is “better”. I would hazard that the vast majority of those kinds of measurements are user error.
I spent my whole career measuring stuff

Go/No Go gauges were put in place for monkeys.

0.75% is way too much to prevent chainring or cassette wear. Secondly, once wear starts on a chain, it is not linear. So, 0.4% is when my chains get tossed. It can be as little as 4,000 miles or as much as 10,000 miles.

I'll let the rest of you argue about rollers.
Old 03-18-23, 05:23 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
It is mind numbing how hard it is to have to explain, explain and re-explain even the most basic geometrical concepts to other adults who think I'm being ridiculous for suggesting that bikes work the way they actually do.
It might save you some aggravation if you share your engineering credentials in a signature. In my experience, folks here are respectful of actual expertise.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-18-23, 06:01 AM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I don't know. Only you or maybe a therapist can answer that.

Lots of anger and rage in this post. Don't let your rage consume you. It's not healthy.

Pins, rollers, who cares? All I know is that the humble ruler lets me know when to replace my chain. And I also know that chain checkers can read worn before the chain really needs to be replaced. And I have never trashed a cassette by leaving my chain in service too long. And you know what? I get about 8K miles out of my chains.

I remember a good quote from a good wheel builder on RBR that is appropriate here. "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important".

Last edited by Lombard; 03-18-23 at 06:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.