Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Teaching my granddaughter to drive a car.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Teaching my granddaughter to drive a car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 07:49 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
RULE #1: When the engine's on, the cell phone ISN'T.
RULE #2: Anyone on the road is capable of the most stupid, rude, and thoughtless thing you can imagine right on front of you at any time.
RULE #3: Getting back home ALIVE and in one piece is more important than who goes where FIRST.
RULE #4: I'M teaching you, your friends aren't -- they have nothing they CAN teach you, so don't listen to them.
RULE #5: Give me the keys, we're not doing this. (lol)
Old 06-10-13, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ursa Minor
When Im driving I always sing to myself "Im in the bubble" cuz i leave 6 car lengths between me and the car ahead. If someone cuts into my bubble i just slow down a little to get it back - im in no hurry when i drive.
6 car lengths (about 100') is too little room for safety at highway speeds although it might be sufficient in slower city traffic. At 70 mph, you cover 100' in just under one second - note the suggestions above to use a minimum of a two second gap and preferably a three or four second gap. I.e. leaving 12 to 24 car lengths at that speed.
Old 06-10-13, 07:59 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
6 car lengths (about 100') is too little room for safety at highway speeds although it might be sufficient in slower city traffic. At 70 mph, you cover 100' in just under one second - note the suggestions above to use a minimum of a two second gap and preferably a three or four second gap. I.e. leaving 12 to 24 car lengths at that speed.
The advantage of the 2/3/4 second gap is that it adjusts the distance to the car in front sort of automatically. Also, it gives you breathing room to slow down more slowly for the idiot 3 feet behind you.

I always learned to have an escape route. That escape route can be the distance in front of you.
Old 06-10-13, 08:15 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Well this has been fun. Actually, I used to teach people to drive professionally but it's been a pretty long time. I taught my daughters too, but the boys just seemed to learn by osmosis.

I'm not sure how to say ANYTHING to my grand-daughter. Mostly we communicate with texts and we definitely won't be doing that in the car. I'm looking forward to it. You can play with the grand-kids when they're little. When they get to a certain age, any interaction at all with them is a bonus so I'm looking forward to this driver training. Then - at some point they come out the other side and you can interact with them at as adults. For example, my 20 year old grand-daughter chose having dinner out with us as her birthday gift.

Being a grand dad rocks!
Old 06-10-13, 08:28 PM
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Egad. I'll never forget the first time I went driving with my step daughter. I had her start the engine. Put the Expedition in reverse. Let off brake and let engine idle back it out. She promptly cranks the wheel to the left so the front swings right, catches the mirror on the garage center column and pins the tire against the support. Then she panics and hits the throttle. Damn near tore the garage down but she had no head of steam. I reached over and turned the engine off I asked her why she turned the wheel? Cause Mom always does.

Well....the SO does do that because she angles in to give the Expedition door a few more opening inches, then corrects on backing out. Sorta funny now. Not then. Cost a 200$ mirror and an afternoon of carpentry.
Old 06-11-13, 11:06 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Buy her some lessons from trained driving instructors and then take her out to practice. Learning from a professional driving instructor and practicing with a professional driver has got to be a winning combination for all involved.
+1001!!!!
Old 06-11-13, 12:09 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I got a bunch of premature gray hairs when I taught my daughter to drive. If I didn't have any high blood pressure when she started, I certainly did while teaching her to drive. Teaching their three boys to drive is something I leave to her and her husband. Don't want any part of that.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-17-13, 12:05 PM

So far it's been going very well. We've been working on basic car control, including parallel parking, in the soccer park parking lot. There's a lot to be said for knowing when to start turning the steering wheel and how much. Sydney actually pays attention when I tell her something.

Next lesson we're heading out into the neighborhood. After she gains confidence doing that, we'll tackle some multi-lane roads. We've already practiced 4 things to do every time you make a lane change.
Old 06-17-13, 01:54 PM

Bikes: Ancient Conglomeration, new one being built

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Impress upon her the great responsiblity she is being entrusted with. Teach her to concentrate, to keep her eyes moving, to always know what's going on way in front of her, beside her and behind her. I always taught my girls that if they ever touched the brake on the freeway, someone screwed up, and they had to explain to me who did what wrong and what they should have done. After a short time, it was rarely them. I taught them to look down the road, not at the car in front of them. Also told them that driving in town requires much more concentration than the freeway. Probably the most important thing, was to always leave early. If they were late, then a few more minutes wouldn't make any difference. Never hurry.
Old 06-17-13, 03:04 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
We've already practiced 4 things to do every time you make a lane change.
1. Close your eyes

2. Send a text message

3. Swat that bee flying around in the car

4. Turn the wheel real fast so you aren't exposed to so much danger.

At least that's how they do it around here
Old 06-17-13, 05:23 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
My 2¢:

-Driving is serious business. It demands your un-divided attention.
-Leave the cell phone off, or just let calls go to voice mail, until you have parked. NO EXCEPTIONS! There is no defense for driving and yakking.
-When stopped behind another vehicle at light, stay far enough behind it so you can see its tires on the pavement. (When DID they stop teaching this?)
-When merging onto a highway, get up to proper speed. No stopping on the ramp. The old expression, "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen", applies here.
-Kitchens and restaurants are for eating, not the car.
-Bathrooms and beauty parlors are for fixing your hair, makeup, etc. Not the car. (This applies to males as well) *
-When parking, center the vehicle in the space. Respect the property of the person in the next space. (When did they stop teaching this?)
-And finally... Bicycles are vehicles, with every right to be on the road. That is the law. Your "Cool Friends" opinions are not the law.

And that is all I have at the moment.

* Uh, I have yet to see a female brushing her teeth while driving, but I have observed several males doing this. No, I'm not joking. Gotta be a sign of the end times.
Old 06-17-13, 09:15 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
What should I tell her?
I'd tell her you are willing to help her study for the written test so she can get it perfect but love her way too much to take her out behind the wheel. That's what I should have done two farm field excursions, one front yard intrusion and many close calls ago. I thought experience gained in teaching emergency driving skills would help. It didn't.
Old 06-18-13, 10:45 AM

There seems to be a trend of suggestions to pay somebody else to teach my grand daughter to drive.

Isn't that kind of like paying somebody else to assemble your new bicycle for you? What fun would that be? How would you know if they did it right?
Old 06-19-13, 06:36 AM

Grand daughter told her mom yesterday that mom was holding the steering wheel wrong.
1. Grand daughter really is listening to what I'm telling her.
2. My evil plan for bugging the mom by proxy is working.
Life is good.
Old 06-19-13, 06:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefully you have a nice kart track nearby - the adult size karts that are fairly fast.

Take her there a couple of times per week (Maybe she is already skilled at this?) until she gets comfortable with driving close and fast with other drivers nearby.

Of course then she still has to learn to drive a real car among other real drivers.