Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are disc brakes the new clipless?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Are disc brakes the new clipless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
I descended Angeles Crest in the pouring rain on my Cannondale road bike and the pads were ground way down, stopping power was not good, and that black aluminum slurry got all lover everything.
There are some steep drops around here where I sometimes wish I had more brake power even when it's dry. I'm 200# and discs on a road bike might be worth it to me, although I only have them on the mtb so far.
Old 04-02-15, 08:08 AM

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm rather heavy (less so now) usually ride with a 20lb pack. There are a lot of hills where I ride.

If I paid the price to climb the hill, well I really want to enjoy the descent. But that means I need competent brakes to stop if something happens.

Cantis on my Fuji tourer would do it. Not even with Koolstops. Frame was bowing fork and seat stays...

Discs on my DT, every time... ~5300 on it, same pads...
Old 04-02-15, 08:28 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Frame was bowing fork and seat stays...
a result of trying to meet the demands of gram counters with thinwall tubing, light frames, add a Bracing arch under the bolts on the ends of the brake bosses, is the cure.
Old 04-02-15, 09:18 AM
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I started with discs on my mountain bike, then I added drum brakes to my commuter bike, now I'm hooked on getting rid of rim brakes. I just built up my new gravel grinder with mech disc and it's sooooo much better. My road bike is built with 0% carbon fiber, 9 speed cassette, triple crankset, steel frame from 1978 (full 531!). When I can buy a nice carbon fiber road bike with disc and Di2 for less than $2k (and take 28mm tyres) I'll have a new road bike. Being Retro-Grouch is well and good but not at the expense of moving forward.
Old 04-02-15, 09:44 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Honestly, I'm not a fan of disc brakes. I got them 10 years ago on my mountain bike, and I found them to be a complete PITA. Difficult to adjust, difficult and expensive to install a rear rack on a disc-brake equipped bike, and once installed, the kluge made it a colossal PITA to change a tire. I also don't like that the brake pads are harder to change and there are all manner of incompatible designs.

I can see their value for:

1. Tandems. Oh yea.
2. Road or mountain bikes used in the rain/mud often.

Neither of which applies to me. So if they become the norm, I'll be dragged in kicking and screaming.

Old 04-02-15, 10:19 AM

Bikes: Bicycles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There have been a few advances in consumer road bikes in the last ten years.

Rim brakes will be around for a very long time so no need to fret but others will be offered a choice.
It's all good. Now for a ride.
Long ago my Mother offered two pieces of advice. Eat your vegetables... Go outside and ride your bike. OK!
Old 04-02-15, 02:30 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I think disc brakes on a lightweight road bike would be the ultimate. It would provide the lowest weight for climbing allowing the use of carbon rims plus the security of being able to descend the steepest downhills in all types of weather. I've done some long descents in driving rain with rim brakes and it was just plain scary, and probably unsafe.
Old 04-02-15, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
a result of trying to meet the demands of gram counters with thinwall tubing, light frames, add a Bracing arch under the bolts on the ends of the brake bosses, is the cure.
I don't think a touring bike fell under the demands of the "gram counters".
Old 04-02-15, 04:45 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
For pure all-around stopping-power discs are the way to go.

OR if you like the steam-punk aesthetic:

• Probably overkill for most riders.
  • Overkill is what marketing-types love.
  • So maybe you're right.

Last edited by BigAura; 04-02-15 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahhh, memories; memories of the same discussions when cars and trucks went to hydraulic brakes vs. mechanical brakes. Actually, not that long ago. Then, when they started putting disc brakes on it was discussion time all over again. People were so shy of them often there were discs only on the front axles. Almost identical negative comments to those in this thread.

Now disc brakes are so ubiquitous it is hard to find a vehicle without them. They are better in every way than old style brakes.

I think in less time than anyone thinks disc brakes will be The Standard on all new bikes except special purpose machines. At the same time maybe, just maybe that will allow the companies to put decent tires on the bikes. Tubeless, well made tires that are at least the equivalent of cheap auto tires, decent brakes that make all strops boring are dreams that should become fact.
Old 04-03-15, 07:28 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
While it may not be as important to the weekend warrior, disc brakes can pretty much assure you that you wont be on foot. There are many reports of cross country riders being on foot when their rim brakes have destroyed their rims. Even if one of your disc brakes fail, you still have the disc brake on the other wheel, that can keep you going.

The thing here is the fact that most cross country riders ride rain or shine. When riding in the rain the rims and brake pads pick up fine grit and accelerate rim wear even to failure. That wont happen with disc brakes. One last point too is a warped rim beause of a broken spoke or what ever dont effect disc brakes.
Old 04-03-15, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah. Clipless cost me skin....

SA
Old 04-03-15, 07:56 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
+1 And... that is so sadly true. I am perfectly happy (and safe) with regular old rim brakes, Down Tube friction shifters, and toe cages.

But the forth major advance of more gears and the compact crank.... does make cycling more pleasant... from my point of view. And I think improved braking would be nice as well.
I would agree with all of that and rydabent's three advances, but I think you have to include powermeters and sealed bearings. That was about 40 years ago, right? (I can only speak from 7 years experience, and rather retro at that).

In my mind, there is definitely a place for better brakes on road bikes. I'm just not sure that disc brakes are the solution yet.
Old 04-03-15, 08:16 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20150326_193442665.jpg (88.5 KB, 71 views)
Old 04-03-15, 08:24 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I would agree with all of that and rydabent's three advances, but I think you have to include powermeters and sealed bearings. ......

In my mind, there is definitely a place for better brakes on road bikes. I'm just not sure that disc brakes are the solution yet.
I have yet to even try disc brakes on a bicycle.... but look forward to trying them. Sealed bearing are nice. But I am fine with the old bearing too. Since I don't compete or race.... I have no use for a powermeter.
Old 04-03-15, 08:51 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I don't think a touring bike fell under the demands of the "gram counters".
Thank you for your Opinion .

I offer actual background , hands on..
I built my touring frame from relatively thick wall 4130 tubing and the fork blades and rear stays as a result dont torque at all,
letting the Cantilever posts splay from the force of the brakes pushing against the rim

And I was using the very Powerful Scott-Petrsen Self Energizing cantilever, which by design takes the rotating rim force to tighten the pads more.

The also Very Forceful Magura Hydro stop HS-33 hydraulic rim brakes Include a booster arch to resist post splaying on any bike ..

These are both 45 pound+ loaded Touring Bikes..

Even in Touring bikes Mass market consumers The 1st question is "what does it Weigh"? reply in grams, Kg or Pounds is a choice of units of Measure .
Old 04-03-15, 09:07 AM
RR3
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
IMO there have been 3 major advances in cycling in the last 40 years, click shifting, clipless pedals, and disc brakes.
1. Lubricants are much better
2. Clincher tire technology challenging tubular performance
3. Wheels are much faster and more reliable
4. Apparel is much more comfortable and aero
5. Bikes are much lighter (ti and carbon). 22# used to be a good road bike, now it is 15#
6. Gearing ranges allows one set of wheels (5 speed FW vs 11s cassettes)
7. Sealed bearings.....remember tearing down pedal bearings every few weeks riding in the rain?
8 I suppose nothing is better than a 66-42.

To me, these were all large advances....
Old 04-03-15, 09:11 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by RR3
1. Lubricants are much better
2. Clincher tire technology challenging tubular performance
3. Wheels are much faster and more reliable
4. Apparel is much more comfortable and aero
5. Bikes are much lighter (ti and carbon). 22# used to be a good road bike, now it is 15#
6. Gearing ranges allows one set of wheels (5 speed FW vs 11s cassettes)
7. Sealed bearings.....remember tearing down pedal bearings every few weeks riding in the rain?
8 I suppose nothing is better than a 66-42.

To me, these were all large advances....
You left out what I think is the biggest major advance: Lighting. HUGE advances in high output LEDs and rechargeable battery technology.

Old 04-03-15, 09:18 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I have yet to even try disc brakes on a bicycle.... but look forward to trying them. Sealed bearing are nice. But I am fine with the old bearing too. Since I don't compete or race.... I have no use for a powermeter.
I've only tried the mechanical disc brakes that came on the Bikes Direct mtb I bought for my teenager last year. Presumably low end entry level, but I really like those brakes. After some "messing with" it's pretty obvious how to adjust the pads right and align them so I don't really get that objection.

I have no use for a powermeter either. I just thought it merits being in the list.
Old 04-03-15, 09:32 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
The last MTB I had put me over the bars with one squeeze of the front brakes while sucking in a fly on a downhill. Disc brakes? Pfffft.
Old 04-03-15, 09:53 AM
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
The last MTB I had put me over the bars with one squeeze of the front brakes while sucking in a fly on a downhill. Disc brakes? Pfffft.
There is (or at least was?) also an issue with front wheels with disc brakes pulling themselves out of the dropouts if the skewers weren't tightened sufficiently.

I guess the difference for me here is that 99+% of the riding I do is in good weather, and I haven't broken a spoke in years. So for me, disc brakes are an complex (relative to rim brakes) answer to a non-existent problem. I appreciate that it's a wholly different issue with tandems or anyone who rides in the rain or wet surfaces very much.

Old 04-03-15, 10:04 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
..... I have no use for a powermeter either. I just thought it merits being in the list.
If we count accessories..... LED lighting is by far the greatest advancement for bicycles in the last few decades. I remember riding my bicycle home after playing little league baseball "under the lights" (still a big deal in the 50's in rural America). The bicycles light was a dim yellow by the time I got home (and the ride wasn't that far) even with brand new batteries.
Old 04-03-15, 10:10 AM
Seat Sniffer

If we count accessories..... LED lighting is by far the greatest advancement for bicycles in the last few decades. I remember riding my bicycle home after playing little league baseball "under the lights" (still a big deal in the 50's in rural America). The bicycles light was a dim yellow by the time I got home (and the ride wasn't that far) even with brand new batteries.
You bet. The light output was pitiful, batteries were expensive and didn't last very long. It was a major problem on longer endurance rides or commuting.

Now, there are skads of rechargeable lights that last a good long time and put out a heck of a lot of light. And for very little money.

Old 04-03-15, 10:23 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by Biker395
There is (or at least was?) also an issue with front wheels with disc brakes pulling themselves out of the dropouts if the skewers weren't tightened sufficiently.

I guess the difference for me here is that 99+% of the riding I do is in good weather, and I haven't broken a spoke in years. So for me, disc brakes are an complex (relative to rim brakes) answer to a non-existent problem. I appreciate that it's a wholly different issue with tandems or anyone who rides in the rain or wet surfaces very much.
Agreed. I feel the same way. That Mtb I spoke of was a 2000 Pacific Quasar I bought for 100.00 at Toys-were-Us for a camp bike. Those canti brakes on alloy 26" rims were scary effective. If I did huge mountain descents maybe things would be a different sort of important, I sure dont need disc brakes on any of my bikes even with my blitzy 50mph descents.
Old 04-03-15, 10:25 AM

Those were fun days. I had a Hawthorne cruiser with the twin headlights on the tank that took 4 D batts. What a thrill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.