Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Stuff I found while riding this week

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Stuff I found while riding this week

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 06:32 PM
A Mountaineering thing

Bikes: 4 Road 2 Mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found an IPOD Touch on the road up in the mountains that I ride a lot.
Old 06-25-12, 07:28 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two weeks ago, I was riding north out of Duck, NC on 12 while on vacation. I see this small plastic box on the side of the road, like a tool box thingy. I stop, open it up, and it's an electronic receipt printer. The light is blinking, and I know this has to be expensive. Since I was just heading out, I stuffed it behind a post until my return trip back a couple of hours later.

I then managed to get it attached to my bike, and took it to the police station just up the road. The lady said the owner (a bread truck driver) stopped in to see if anyone found it. He was panicked, as I'm sure this would have come out of his own pocked.

Made my day to be of help!

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
Old 06-25-12, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaymondK43
Litter bugs in general tick me off. People that throw dirty diapers out their windows are the worst. Gee, I have an idea. Keep the dirty diaper in the vehicle, when you get home, throw it in the trash. See how easy that was?

Since you brought it up, I want to share why, in my opinion, this happens. My mom and dad taught us never to litter. I have passed that down to my children and they do not litter.

I was once walking with someone that was drinking out of a milk container. He threw it in a litter filled ditch. I asked, no, I TOLD, him to pick it up. He said, why, everybody else litters.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
I have a good friend that flipped a cigarette butt out his window. A South Carolina Highway patrolman pulled him over. The patrolman told my friend, I am going to give you 2 choices, one I give you a ticket for littering and the fine will be $$$ (don’t remember how much it was but it was a lot). Second choice, I give you a bag out of my trunk and you walk down this road picking up trash until I tell you it’s enough. My friend told me that the patrolman made him pick up trash until the bag was nearly full.

Now, if it was legal for the patrolman to do that, I do not know. I was also surprised that the patrolman would take up that much of his time. If you knew my friend you would know that he would never make up a story like this so I believe him that it happened.
Old 06-26-12, 06:28 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I like the patrolman's justice system there. Sure someone will rail against the guy but I so hate people that throw cigarettes out of car windows or just on the ground when they are through with the coffin nail. Makes me furious, my dad never threw a cigarette on the ground, cars had ash trays for that back then.

We were taught in the Marine Corps to field strip our cigarettes, back in the mid 70's when you could smoke in boot camp and on military installations. You just unwrapped the paper, letting the small amount of tobacco fall out and wad the paper up, putting it in you fatigue's pocket. It dissolved in the wash and one less butt to have to pick up while policing the area. I quit cigarettes back in the mid 80's, running and smoking made little sense. Continued my pipe habit until 2000 when the multiple surgeries and health problems started.

End rant, sore subject for me, sorry.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-26-12, 06:42 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Discarded cigarettes are a major cause of brush fires.

The policeman could've just given the guy a ticket, but I like what he did.
Old 06-26-12, 06:47 AM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I stopped for what I thought was a battery-powered light, but it turned out to be a merchandise alarm! The kind they put on merchandise to keep folks from leaving the store with it. Evidently shoplifters have figured out how to get around these things...
Old 06-26-12, 06:50 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 721 Posts
A week-and-a-half ago I noticed one of my bar end plugs was coming loose. Made a mental note to try and fix it (not that I have a clue what that would involve). Three days later, I get home from a ride and notice it's gone; the bar end plug must've fallen out during my ride.

...and then this past Sunday I'm out on a ride, coming down the ramp to the local MUP, and I have to slow down because there are several idiot cyclists in front of me who have no clue how to execute a low-speed hairpin turn, so while their traffic drama is escalating I just stop and kill time, enjoying the sunshine, trees, birds, the bar end plug lying on the ground right at my feet...

Wait, wut?

I picked it up. Now, I can't be 100% certain that it was mine (though I did take this same MUP last week, and it was the exact same brand/model as the one I lost). But it's definitely mine now!

Last edited by Bob Ross; 06-26-12 at 06:57 AM.